“Don't let one bad apple spoil the tree...”

Popeye Village Malta
Popeye Village Admission Ticket with Transport
Ranked #14 of 51 things to do in Mellieha
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Popeye Village has grown from its days as a Film Set of the 1980 Musical Production "Popeye" into a unique fun-filled day for all young at heart.You will be greeted by Popeye and his famous friends who will entertain you during the day by their diverse shows. Visitors can enjoy a once in a lifetime filming experience with the animation crew where you can become a movie star for a day. Other attractions include; Santa's toy town, boat ride (weather permitting), water trampolines, sun bathing decks, beach lido (summer only), food outlets, a winery offering a free glass of wine, a free post card given to all adults and a thrilling experience in the new 'Popeye the Comic Museum' enhanced with over 100 original comics dating back to 1936. Your children can also have fun in Malta's largest indoor jump around play area. Do not miss spending a fun-packed day at this Original and unique Film Set whilst on the Maltese Islands.
Reviewed 14 August 2014

My family came to Popeye village back in June, we was staying at Seabank and I defiantly recommend walking because it's a lovely walk and buses are every hour, just a tip as it takes 15 minutes. I don't normally write reviews but wanted to share my experience so here it goes...

I have two girls 5 and 7 who were mesmerised by the little hidden town. Popeye (who I believe was from Manchester due to the accent)and his friends did an amazing job bringing the village to life and my girls loved the inflatables in the sea!

However there seemed to be a big group visit during the day which me and my husband didn't mind until it came to time for the puppet show and there wasnt anyone insight because the characters were all down near the the restaurant with the group, after waiting 15 minutes we approached the only employee in sight looking for answers and we found a lovely young lady by the pool named Becky who was just as confused as we were as to why no one had come up for the puppet show, she called someone and they informed her that it had in fact been cancelled because Popeye was needed with the big group. My girls were gutted!! Me and my husband was also disappointed because nobody had told us prior and they must have known!

The only thing that cheered my girls up was becky, she was so lovely to them, made them ballons and even convinced them to come in the pool (never seen them warm to someone so fast!!) still angry by the situation my husband and I wanted to approach the manager and was redirected to a lady with short blonde hair in the souvenir shop who was apparently in charge of animation, who quite frankly shouldn't be.

I have never met a more rude person in my life!! My husband approached her politely and said we was waiting half an hour for the puppet show to find out it's been canceled? Will it be on later today as my girls really want to see it? She looked up from her desk, rolled her eyes and said "I don't have time for this, can't you see I'm busy! I don't know if we will do it later, and I don't care, now go away now I'm busy" without even looking at us and if it couldn't get any worse she got up and PUSHED past my husband and left the shop!!! we was mortified!!!

I've never been greeted with such awful, rude and disrespectful behaviour and at this point I just wanted to leave as I was so disgusted by a managers behaviour in front of my children, as I told my girls we were leaving I was even more shocked by their response as they asked if they could go back to the pool with becky, after this woman spoiling their day it was the girl by the pool making them want to stay, she was so lovely and definitely turned my girls day around.

If it wasn't for becky and Popeye and their amazing team we wouldn't be returning due to the behaviour of one of the managers, don't let one bad apple spoil the tree!! Hopefully next year the team will be under better management because that was the only downfall of the day!

However I definitely recommend the village to families as everything else was lovely :)

2  Thank Laura M
Write a ReviewReviews (4,753)
All reviews
in 31 reviews
"entrance fee"
in 99 reviews

Reviewed 14 August 2014

we visited popeye village in august during our stay in malta, ok so I agree with some reviewers that some areas are a little tired but I personally think this adds to the character of the place, the swimming pools are great, endless fun for kids and great photo opportunities with the fantastic views. the sea although I didn't go in my husband and son did and loved it especially the water trampolines etc. the setting of this attraction far makes up for any niggles about the place. the views are absolutely breathtaking and I would 100% visit again when I return to malta

Reviewed 14 August 2014

I grew up watching Popeye's adventures and wanted to share some of the experience with my son. This is the perfect place to start.
Make no mistake: the village itself used to be a film set, you can go into most buildings. It's authentic, makes you feel part of the story. Olive and Popeye take you along to tell the story and show you around the place.
The village itself may not be too big, it has facilities, activities to entertain a family for a whole day, pools for kids and beach, too. They even have minigolf which I have not seen for over 20 years.
It was lovely, we visited right before leaving for the airport and we were a bit sad we could not enjoy it in its entirety as our bathing suits had already been packed away in our suitcases. Worth the trip and worth the money if you spend your day here (entry was 39€ for my wife, my son and myself). We did not eat at the restaurant, it seemed nice, though. We checked the menu and it seemed a bit pricy. Adults get a free punch at the pub and can also choose a free postcard from a limited selection of otherwise not very high quality postcards at the souvenir shop where you can stock up on all the Popeye related merchandise you could ever wish for. We got a bobble-head Olive for some 25€ and some t-shirts and fridge magnets which I consider to be the perfect low-cost souvenir.

Reviewed 14 August 2014 via mobile

Me and my partner visited popeye village and had a great time, the staff were all so friendly especially olive :) The sea is great too with lots of inflatables and there were plenty of sunbeds. The film set still looks lovely for being there so long. Overall a great day out for all ages. :)

1  Thank Jennifer S
See more reviews
Reviewed 13 August 2014

My family and I visited Popeye Village April 2013 and had a great time. Unfortunately visiting this time was very disappointing. The place looked very tired indeed. As we entered there was crazy golf in which had seen it's day with ripped and layered artificial grass. There were balls to throw at tin cans too, what a poor start of an experience. It got worse, the characters such as Popeye and Olive were just walking around uninterested and were totally unfriendly. I had to ask the staff at one of the bars three times if they could get my little boy his drink that we had ordered. I complained at the reception on the way out about the lack of enthusiasm from the staff, especially the characters and I was told that the characters were only as good as selected from the students that had applied. When people pay good money you expect better, there is no excuses to be had. Come on Popeye Village owners, get it together! We will certainly be steering clear in the future and will not recommend to family or friends.