“Radisson Golden Sands Malta A Priceless Gem!!”

Radisson Blu Resort & Spa, Malta Golden Sands
Ranked #1 of 12 Hotels in Mellieha
Reviewed 10 May 2012

My Wife, Myself and our Handicapped Son had our second stay at the Radisson Golden Sands Malta and had another great time. Once again the Staff could not be more helpful and were so friendly. The room was perfect and had a great view over the beach. We sat on the balcony and savoured the view as it was so relaxing. The room had everything we needed and was kept clean. The General manager Ernest Barry came to speak to us on a couple of occassions to make sure everything was OK which we thought was very caring of him. We found all the Staff gave 100% and helped make our holiday, thank you everyone!! If you like a relaxing holiday in 5 Star luxury then give this hotel a try, you will not be dissappointed. We will be going back there again and we are sure we will get the same great service.
Pat, Mick & Jason

Room Tip: Get a room that overlooks the beach and bay it is so relaxing!!
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank MickyEssex

Reviewed 9 May 2012

After my parents purchasing a time share apartment on their first trip to Malta, it was for the rest of our family to see if they made the right choice, they couldn't have picked a better location with the most beautiful views. I seriously do wonder whether people on tripadvisor stayed at the same hotel.Yes timeshares are present in the hotel along with the sales team, but once you say no they stay away!! Don't be put of with the worry that they will 'hound' you because its completely untrue. Yes the hotel can feel pretty remote but I find it hard to believe that people do not realize this before they travel, you only have to look at a map. Watersports are a great bonus to the beach and their is a wide variety of water activities to do at reasonable prices, during main season everything is open and their is a buzz around the hotel from holiday makers. For children it could be seen to be 'boring' for them.. I totally disagree with a NEWLY made games room, kids club and ongoing pool games during the day I personally find time to be bored. The new games room is very good and also has the internet at a very reasonable price.

I have now stayed at this hotel many of times, each making memorable friends and memories, I would strongly advise you to holiday here, the culture is outstanding and their is so much to see, so if you do happen to travel in the colder season, or have a bad weather day don't waste it in the hotel, explore.. The taxi's prices are of normal and the hotel puts on shuttle buses to the local towns for people who want to eat somewhere else, or for the teenagers clubbing! Is is VERY cheap on the shuttle bus and would highly recommend and always on time, for when myself and friends went out to the busier towns for the evening.

Honestly I can say this hotel is simply splendid!

Room Tip: Sea view is obviousness the best, however if with young children try for a country view as beaches c...
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
11  Thank hollief
Reviewed 9 May 2012

We had an excellent time, staying there as part of a conference trip in late April which coincided with the end of the school holidays, so I took the family. We had two rooms which connected to form a suite. All very clean and tidy.

Not all the restaurants were yet open and the breakfast restaurant had a busy feel to it at times, but the staff were unfailingly helpful. Prices seemed fair to me and the food was of high quality and well presented. The outdoor pool is unheated (as you would expect) but large, clean and good fun with plenty of loungers. The indoor pool is a bit gloomy, but perfectly good though it has a no-kids policy between noon and 6pm, which was a tad inconvenient.

I would recommend hiring a car as the hotel is located somewhat on its own, which makes for tranquility and stunning views. Being allocated a car with more than a few nicks and scratches on pick-up (First Car Rental at the airport) proved to be an advantage - it is difficult not to pick up several more whilst on Malta. By the way, the hotel is quite well located for the ferry to Gozo, which was well worth a visit.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Deerleap
Reviewed 8 May 2012

We stayed here for the last week in April as an intentional timeshare experiance as we already own in the Savoy Maderia and were keen on the now much delayed new Savoy development.

We went with the view to evaluate our experiance in precisely the way it is intended "am I interested in investing £16000 - £20000 at this resort", well the answer was NO.

Lets not get this out of context, the hotel is super and the positioning superb but........ with my timeshare head on this doesn't come up to the standard that is being promoted.

Despite it being hot and sunny for the entire week, the outdoor pools were freezing, the outdoor and indoor hot tubs were cold, plus the jets don't work properly, a lot of the poolside umbrellas are broken, the poolside bar was closed all week except on the weekend, Flavours one of the main restuarants was closed except on the weekend and everytime we thought about going to the top resturant Essence, it was also closed. Fag butts and sweet wrappers were not cleaned up around the pool, the members pool was definately taken over by non members at the weekend.

We had a country side room and as it was a bank holiday weekened the municipal camping site oposite filled up for Friday, Saturday, Sunday and Monday nights accompanied with loud music and a particularly annoying and constantly yapping dog day and night. The bed sheets and pillows were worn out, the mattress protector did not fit the mattress and rolled up in the night, the TV is a 20 year old Phillips CRT with a broken remote, if you intend travelling with an iPad forget the free internet in the room as its a cable connection although it is WiFi in the lobby. There was no sign of the fluffy white towels mentioned elsewhere, ours were small and worn out.

The lovely Francesca's timeshare presentation lasted FIVE HOURS and a huge amount of time was spent on explaining how Interval International works despite her knowing that we are already members who have used the system for many years due to our existing timeshare membership.

We had been at the resort for 6 days already but it seems the "tour" must follow a set procedure, my advice is to get the presentation out of the way as soon as you can then at least you might be taken to places you haven't yet been already and if you did buy in you could probably wangle a room upgrade to boot..

The biggest problem for us was that after 6 days we had already made up our minds that we would NOT be buying so it really was FIVE HOURS lost and extreemly boring, on the good side there was definately NO HARD SELL it just went on and on and on......

So sorry Radisson Blu you are not as good as you think you are and certainly not as good as you were when we stayed on an Interval Intenational getaway 6 years ago when we loved you dearly..........................

I could go on but each to his / her own. This really is a LOVELY place and I suppose that as the season gets going the bars and resturants will all be open and the pools will warm up and maintenace might fix the hot tubs and umbrellas

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank T23rat
Reviewed 8 May 2012

Overview - If, like us, you took the chance with the timeshare offer, then you need not panic - the hotel is wonderful and as you will see elsewhere, the staff are practically faultless when it comes to customer service. It is not somewhere to go if you are looking for nightlife - it is, however, the perfect Rest and Relaxation holiday - some good places to eat etc., overall, I would say it is worth putting up with the presentation....although having said that, I think time of year will be crucial....as we learned from a number of regulars at the hotel.....
The Hotel - is big! Three towers with a wide variety of restaurants, bars and faciltiies. Go exploring the day you arrive to get a feel for everything. It is all incredibly clean, well maintained, and without exception the staff all offered wonderful customer service. The time share presentation included a tour, and the rooms are all pretty much the same standard and same layout so your chances of getting a less than great room is minimal. Rooms all come with a balcony. Breakfast is practically every kind of food you can think of wanting for breakfast, although the English breakfast brigade (myself included) may be disappointed. Streaky bacon and not back bacon, those small foreign sausages that cafes over here would not dare to serve to the morning builder influx, had to ask for mushrooms - although eggs are great and there is a chef there who cooks them there and then however you like them. The beach is NOT PRIVATE - the hotel has an area on the beach which is reserved for their guests, the rest of the beach is public. However, security is tight and hotel guests are the only ones allowed on the sunbeds etc on this part of the beach. As we went at the beginning of May, it was not too busy, despite the weather being between 22 and 25 all week, although I would not attempt to go during the high season as it gets very busy - the hotel, the country and the beach. In terms of value for money, it is excellent.
The Country - We only booked in for five of the available seven nights, and even so, managed to squeeze in a trip to bugibba to eat one evening (took a taxi from the hotel which was 25e return), and spent the day in Valetta another day (bus there for 3e each, and taxi back at 25e one way). The history is amazing, and enough culture to keep you coming back. It is not the place to shop (sadly!) and neither is the nightlife anything to write home about really, but nice bars and great restaurants suited us fine. We met a couple who loved it there so much that they went there after retirement with the intention of living there. However, the Summer was so hot and so busy that they were back home within a few months, just a warning, and the location of this hotel in terms of the beach etc., means that I would be willing to bet it is heaving. May was perfect for us though, and there are still lots of things we want to do and hope to go back soon!
The Restaurants - Despite this being a five star hotel, we found that actually, it was quite reasonable. Agliolo the Italian does pasta, burgers, steak and some specials - expect to pay between 8e and 16e for a main course, Poolside bars do salads, burgers etc., for between 6e and 10e - a whiskey and coke, and coke came to approx 5e - no more than you would pay in the UK, and a hell of a lot less than a 5* hotel in the UK!! We treated ourselves one night to fine dining at the essence restaurant which was out of this world - venison was 18e, halibut about the same, we were given a complimentary amuse bouche, had pudding, kir royales to start and a bottle of prosecco and the whole thing came to around 80e. Cocktails are 8.50e which is a little expensive - in bugibba they are 4e, but overall, not as bad as we were expecting.
Spa - Wonderful! Lovely atmosphere, around 65e for a facial and full body massage which was well worth it :)
Timeshare Presentation - OK, this is the bit that worried me the most. It is four hours of your life that you will not get back, but when balanced out with the reduction in price, it is worth it. You are met at your room, and taken down to the office, where you sit at a desk with your rep. We were given bucks fizz and told we could break at any time, smoke on the balcony, ask for tea etc., and it was quite relaxed to be fair. So much of what they do is unnecessary and as my partner is in sales, he said he had to wonder how many sales were lost because people had lost enthusiasm (or the will to live!) by the end. Basically, they could take out the history of the hotel (didn't need to see how it was built), some of the brand information, all of the information about the company on the stock exchange or how they run their compliance - apparently put there to give you faith in the brand, but it meant that the product was lost amongst it. Frankly, I still don't actually understand all of it, and that is the sales technnique, so do not buy on the day if you are looking to buy in. After all that, we were given an interesting tour of the hotel (this bit was quite good), then back to the office, we were given lunch and asked if we wanted to buy. We said no, they offered us a deal, we declined and that was that. Prices start at £12500 for a window of four months of the year within which to travel. On paper, their access to cheap deals with good hotels looks impressive - HOWEVER, there were a few couples we met at the hotel who were regulars at the hotel - and we asked all of them if they were in the holiday club - none of them were. One couple we met, in their fifties, loved the hotel, but the man was an ex-salesman for a holiday company and said that the reason not everything is clear is because he had seen the contract after a friend of his had joined and it was not all it seemed. There are additional charges, the prices can be achieved by forward planning and looking ont he internet (they had only paid £50 more than us for their hotel stay and £80 rtn each on Air Malta by booking 8 months in advance)...and the sell on which seems so attractive is not quite as it seems (without boring you with the details of it, you still lose money is the upshot). When we asked during the presentation about payment, we were told, "You pay as much as you want, when you want, how you want..." actually, it all has to be paid up front, or you go with a financing company with a high interest rate, or as some poor duped people do, add it to your mortgage - worrying when this could be older people. It is a shame, as the presentation itself was not an issue but the way in which the holiday club is presented is fairly unscrupulous, and they could in reality do it in a much mroe transparent and honest way, for a lot less money which ultimately would increase people's faith, there would be a greater take up and therefore, the whole 'tell your friends and family about it' would be much more meaningful. Plus it would mean that people would still be guaranteed to holiday with them every year, and we all know that it is the extras on top that make the money in a hotel. There is only one contract length as well so it is all or nothing in effect. The upshot is yes, it is worth going on, but the holiday club just wasn't for us, and the way in which it is presented made us quite suspicious.
Any issues?? - A hotel this size is not going to get everything right all of the time, but it is how they deal with it that made the difference. I ordered a panini from room service one night and was told that the menu was no longer available, however, I could still order. A limp baguette was brought up which I could not even finish. I left a note on the tray to say I wasn't happy and the manager came up to my room the next day, apologised profusely for the confusion, took the offending item off my bill and it was dealt with really well. The other thing was that we wanted to get the shuttle bus into Valetta that the hotel runs, got down to reception in good time to be told that the timings had changed and nobody seemed to know whent he next one was. As a result, we had to get the public bus which took an hour.
Conclusion - I guess this is my longwinded way of saying that you shouldn't be frightened of the timeshare clause in this holiday. The hotel itself is worth it, and the customer service fab. I would caveat all of this by saying that I would not go there during the high Summer months as I would have visions of sitting by the pool in the morning a pasty white, and by mid afternoon, turning that British shade of pink that makes your eyes water to look at - that's if you can cope with lying in that kind of heat in the first place. And then there is of course the battle to the sunbeds as it becomes very busy as well, and locals also use the hotel. All that being said, when we went it was nigh on perfect, and I would definitely go back. If you go because you are actually looking for a holiday deal or timeshare, take a team of lawyers, or bus in the Citizens Advice Bureau with you - time is filled out by mind numbingly boring facts and the product itself is not quite the gift from God it seems. Sad, though, as it could have been a great idea.....but the holiday itself, well worth it.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Victoria M
Reviewed 1 May 2012

We spend 6 nights at the golden sands. Being still in low season Some facilities were closed like the pool bar and the buffet was only open at the week ends. The hotel rooms and facilities are of high quality, no doubt. Great outdoor pool, access to the beach via stairs or even a lift. It is secluded so you either plan to stay put and relax, or hire a car or send some money on taxis if you want to go outside the hotel. We had mixed feelings however, for two reasons. First you do notice that something else is going on ie timeshare. We felt sometimes that we did not belong. People showing other people around, a pool for club members only, etc. It did not spoil the holiday but it was weird, it certainly does not feel like your regular high end hotel. Secondly, the reception towed children was not great. People themselves were very friendly but a few things felt awkward like the inside pool not being accessible to children from midday to 7 pm! We had goo weather but was counting on access to this pool for the windy days or the late afternoons and after all the pool was advertised on their website so it was a bit of a surprise and for having tried I can tell you they stock to the rules! Also children eat free only at certain times like for example 6.30 to 7.30, this is I'm guessing to encourage families to o at this time. I have to say overall, the were many couples mostly older people and, having young children, we found ourselves telling them to keep the noise down maybe more than we would have liked during a holiday. Food was fine but again with some restaurant closed and one fine dinning, we stuck to the one which was available to us. A the end, we went outside for dinner and relied on the drifters desk for taxis which are very good prices vs hotel concierge (so called White car service) or even street taxis. We spent a few night at george's bay too and golden sands is much nicer. When we were here, the beach was cleaned on our second day which was a relief because there was a lot of seaweed and also some glass in the sand... Even the Maltese told us it was one if the nicest beach.
As for rooms, we were on the furthest tower from the beach, so it was a trek everyday even to go to breakfast, it is a very large set up. Our room was country view ie just fields which we did not mind. It was very quiet until the week end arrive and we realised it was a campground which filled up pretty quickly and became a bit noisy with people putting music on and dogs barking. I think if we were there at peak season and the campground was full I would pay extra for sea view rooms for a quieter night!

Room Tip: We did not mind the country view but the is a campground just next to the hotel and so I imagine whe...
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
6  Thank Kald06
Reviewed 1 May 2012

My husband & I have recently returned from a week at this excellent hotel. At first I was sceptical about the Timeshare aspect of the holiday, but given the deal you are getting I think spending 4 hours listening to a salesman and touring the hotel is a fair exchange. There is no hard sell, they are very pleasant and once we had made it clear we were not going to purchase a Timeshare we were left totally alone to enjoy the rest of our week. Reading some of these reviews, I don't think some of the people could have been staying at the same hotel. The resort is beautiful, a little out of the way, but that makes it peaceful after a busy day sightseeing. Book to go anywhere you want at the Drifter cars desk in main reception - they are so helpful, especially Corrie, lovely lady and it costs about two to three euros pp each way to get wherever you want to go on the island - excellent. You receive a card which gives you 20% discount on food and drink in the hotel which makes the prices quite reasonable for a 5* hotel. We ate at Munchies on the beach one night and it cost us more than eating in Agliolios! The rooms are beautiful and extremely large, the pools are gorgeous, food is delicious (especially the breakfast), the staff are friendly and helpful and there is so much to see in Malta you couldn't fit it all into a week - so much history! In all, an excellent holiday!

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
13  Thank Zia1518
Also consider these accommodations in or near Mellieha
Hilton Malta
#8 of 33 in Saint Julian's
The Palace
The Palace
#1 of 28 in Sliema

Been to Radisson Blu Resort & Spa, Malta Golden Sands? Share your experiences!