“Unexpected quality”

Ranked #3 of 12 Hotels in Mellieha
Oxford, United Kingdom
“Unexpected quality”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 February 2012

We were transfered to this hotel from its sister establishment. While the facilities were not exactly the same we were compensated for this with complimentary breakfasts. The rooms were good and spacious, immaculately cleaned daily and all the staff very attentive and efficient. Parking was a problem and I guess in high season would be difficult. Situated in the middle of the town - on a steep hill - meant that eating out was easy if you needed a change. We enjoyed the hotel's food when we ate in, not least because it was good value compared with most other restaurants nearby. It was cold outside so the indoor pool was a boon although the roof-top one looked very inviting. We did not use the gym but the equipment looked up-to-date. There was a lively cafe area in reception where WiFi workeed very well.
Our one reservation was that the furnishings were a little tired but this did not in anyway spoil our stay.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (591)
  • Finnish first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
Woodbridge, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 February 2012

Came here for the school holiday in the UK to escape the snow and ice and got a relatively nice week apart from a bit of a nippy wind some days but when the sun shone it was lovely, cant grumble really.
The hotel was booked on a "we've never been to Malta before so lets try this one" type of thing.
We got lucky because the hotel and area were brilliant, the staff were fantastic to us in every way and very polite, Im a believer in talking to someone how you want to be spoken to and can give as good as i get but didnt need too as they were very nice. We stayed on a B&B basis which enabled us to eat out locally in Mellieha or further afield so cannot comment on the quality of food apart from the breakfasts which are buffet style, English and Continental food is available or both as we sometimes had. Again the staff were very friendly. The hotel offers free wi-fi in the lobby area only (not in the rooms) but doesnt matter as everybody seems to come down to get online whilst having a drink at the bar and a chat Our room was very nice if a little cold sometimes (the locals said they hadnt known it so cold that time of year) at night but overcame this by putting the aircon/heater unit on low heat before we went to bed and that was fine as we were out all/every day. We had a balcony at the rear of the hotel with a small balcony which was very quiet and got the morning sun so all was good there too. I must say a lot of people got confused (us included) with the lift floors on the higher floors (we had to press -2 button then out along corridor to another lift then press +1 button to our room, then -2 button and the 0 button on the way down to reception. This caused a lot of amusement rather than annoyance for many people so was quiet funny really (something for the kids to amuse themselves remembering). All in all a very nice, pleasent hotel.
On a local note, the buses are very good, not the old yellow buses unfortunatley, but the Arriva bus company. They were fairly cheap with cheerful drivers willing to say when to get off if you ask. The local resturants are all good too as we went to most of them. Hire cars are resonable too.

Room Tip: Rooms at the back are off the main street.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank kevin l
Hertfordshire
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 February 2012

I stayed at this hotel for a week in December 2011. The room I was allocated (at the back of the hotel) was in the newly renovated part and although the size of the room and the decor were very impressive, the room was absolutely FREEZING (like being in a fridge!). The wall heater was ineffective because of it's location in a kind of hallway as you entered the room and the heat did not reach into the main part of the room. I complained and was told that nothing could be done. I had to sleep in several layers plus dressing gown and was STILL cold, so after being VERY uncomfortable for 2 days I was on the verge of leaving and asking for a refund, when another guest I was speaking to said they'd had the same problem and had borrowed a portable electric heater from reception, so I did the same and that improved things quite a lot.

Then, on the second to last night I was there I was in the bathroom when suddenly hot, steaming water came flooding through the ceiling just missing me! Had a been standing a foot to the right of where I was standing I would have been drenched and possibly scalded.. As I rushed out of the room the lights all fused and everywhere went pitch black! I made an urgent call to reception & they took about 5 mins to arrive by which time the water was coming down with such force and flooding into the corridors and down the lift shafts. The receptionist called the maintenance man who took about 30 minutes to arrive (there was no maintenance person on site at the time). In the meantime I had been sent downstairs whilst it got sorted out. After a couple of hours, the duty manager came and told me it was sorted out and I could go back to my room. I said I wasn't happy about the fact that so much water had flooded through the ceiling and was afraid of the risk with the electrics and asked if I could move rooms, I was told all the electrics were fine and was persuaded to go back to the room. However, as soon as I put the card into the electric slot the electrics fused again and the lights went out, so I rang and told reception and said I would like to move to a room nearby (it was 11pm by this time and I didn't want to have to move all my belongings), the duty manager told me there were no rooms near to me and once again she persuaded me to stay in the room and she sent the maintenance man to switch the electric back on. Just after midnight I was in the bathroom again when there was an almighty BANG and the lights went out again, and the cover from the extractor fan shot off the ceiling and just missed my head by a couple of inches! That was the final straw..! I rang down and told the receptionist I refused to stay in the room a minute longer, apparently the duty manager had gone home by this time and the receptionist immediately said I could change rooms and, to my disbelief she told me that the room right next door to mine was empty and she came up immediately with the key! Why on earth had the duty manager not allowed me to move to the room next door when I'd asked earlier - does this hotel put money before guests' safety? I was SO angry that I have since sent a letter to the hotel manager. I also thought I would let people know about my bad experience here on trip advisor.

On the plus side, the food was excellent - credit where it's due!

Room Tip: In the winter ask for an additional heater if your room is cold.
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled with friends
2 Thank Carol M
SolanaHotel, General Manager at Solana Hotel, responded to this review, 19 February 2012
Dear Guest,

We thank you for having chosen the Solana Hotel & Spa for your accommodation experience in Malta, and we appreciate your sharing your views on your experience with us.

Unfortunately throughout the last week of December 2011 we experienced an unforeseen plumbing problem, to which the Managers on duty along with a team of maintenance and housekeeping personnel attended to as fast as they could. Unfortunately from time to time, such rare situations, which are beyond one’s control are bound to happen. Nevertheless, it is worth mentioning, that when such incidents occur, our top priority goes to the guests’ safety and well-being.

We do not believe it is professional to go into details on how and in what way our management communicated and agreed with you on various meetings held following this incident, but we do wish to publicly apologize for any inconvenience, which you may have endured on the mentioned evening.

While hoping to be able to welcome you again in the future, we re-invite you to feel free to contact us directly, should you still wish to discuss this situation further.

Best regards,

Elaine Cutajar Debono
Island of Gozo, Malta
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 February 2012

Got back Saturday after a week at the Solana Hotel. We were welcomed with a nice Maltese drink. Shown to our room on the ground floor which was very nice until we opened the curtains and found we had a teeny tiny enclosed balcony felt as if you were in a hole.Hey ho decided we wouldnt spend a lot of time here so it didnt matter. On the second day we came back to find the bedside table covered in ants, on reporting them the receptionists said they were gone. My partner pointed out I would be uncomfortable in the night with the thought of the ants and we were moved immediately to a room 2 doors away. This was an enormous room on the back of the hotel with a side sea view. We didnt eat in the restaurant but did have food in the cafe while using the free internet and the food was good. If you have a piece of cake it is so big it is a sharing piece but 2.5 euro well worth it coffee really good as well. The staff second to none really helpful. We left our luggage there Saturday morning and went out came back at 3pm for coffee and cake to wait for the taxi used the internet and on collection of the key for the luggage room the reception staff wished us a safe journey and hoped to see us again. We will book and go back to the Solana in a heartbeat.

Room Tip: requested high floor double bed got ground floor room single beds but this was not a problem to us
2 Thank bellethe beauty
carrickfergus
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 February 2012

I have just come back from a week at the solana hotel in malta. Lovely hotel, very clean and the people so pleasant and helpful. The room was large and plenty of space with a sink, cooker, cooker hood etc. We where in a back room with a balcony and some sea view.
The hotel is located on a slight hill but easy enough to go up and down. The bus stop is at the bottom of the street which takes you to Valetta with stops on the way. Coming back the bus stops is out side the hotel. We bought a weekly bus ticket for 12 euros which enabled us to get on as many buses as we liked all week. It is brilliant! one day went on a tour with city sight seeing and it was very interesting as we went to the glass factory and also the silver jewelery was amazing. only thing was no one said the bus most have forgotton about us on the way back so we used the weekly pass to get home. The views from the bus top is fabulous. Malta has plenty to see and very friendly people. So much history. If you are looking some whre quiet with lovely restaurants nearby then it is Solana Hotel in Mellehia, Malta. We will be going back for another break again.

Room Tip: The rooms at the front of the hotel, you can hear the traffic at night so go for a back room and get...
doncaster
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 February 2012

My Parents have just returned from this hotel i booked for them on the strength of the tripadvisor reviews and that turned out to be one of the" best hotels thay had ever stayed in!"
The indoor pool at this time of year was a treat!

The rooms were very well furnished and the food was 4* every morning and night such a choice you where never stuck for something nice to eat.

The Staff more than helpful when it came to Buses and how to get around the island.

Flights hotel and transfers where through Easyjet and all went smoothly.

My parents have said they would like to return next year to the beautiful friendly Hotel & island....its really made my Dads 65th Birthday Special...Thank you to you all at SolanaHotel.

Room Tip: Ask for a sea view!
1 Thank rachelyorks
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 February 2012

Just returned from Solana Hotel having spent 3 nights there for my husband's birthday. We booked the package with Easyjet and it was all excellent from the flight to the taxi pick up;all very smooth.
The staff were very welcoming even though initially our booking couldn't be found! We were given a welcoming drink which was most appreciated and then the young man at the desk proceeded to give us all the information we needed to get the most out of our stay; including bus routes and restaurant recommendations, which I have to say were excellent.
Our room was in the new part of the hotel and so quite a walk from the reception and 2 lift journeys as the hotel is on a steep hill but this didn't matter and was quite fun to explore the other floors;including an outdoor pool and terrace, indoor pool and spa.
The room was adequate for the weekend, very clean with a small balcony. Plenty of storage and a safe (deposit needed). Tea and coffee making facilities but these were not topped up during our stay....we just bought some milk, sugar and tea bags from the local supermarket. Reception did order more powdered milk on request but had to wait for room service to put it in room..ie we were not given it when we asked.
The floor was very cold in our room as made of marble type tiles....I would take slipper socks or something next time. In fact the room was cold per se but then the weather was on the cold side for February.
The bathroom was well equipped including an extendable clothes line over the bath which was useful for wet costumes. The shower was a little unreliable in that it "ebbed and flowed" and alarmingly would be boiling for a second then freezing........I certainly wouldn't shower a child for example.
We used the pool once(towels have to be paid for plus a deposit); lovely and warm in there but changing room was the shower so difficult to know where to put your clothes etc..............also characteristic "damp" smell pervaded the area around the spa and pool....in fact you could detect it when entering the hotel but we are used to that from many greek holidays!
The buffet breakfasts and dinners were fab; excellent choice plenty of tables, cutlery and crockery..every need and taste catered for including omelettes to order and waffles!!
The staff everywhere were lovely just one chap at the bar on Sunday evening was a bit grumpy when we asked for a decaffeinated coffee which was a shame as everyone else from the management to the cleaners were so friendly.
All in all a lovely hotel and we would highly recommend it for the staff, service and position.....if you prefer a quiet spot but convenient for buses.
We will return.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Mellieha
Pergola Hotel & Spa
The Palace
The Palace
#1 of 29 in Sliema
4.5 of 5 bubbles 3,289 reviews

Been to Solana Hotel? Share your experiences!