This hotel is not a 4 star. It maybe in the managements eyes, but anyone from the UK who has stayed in a 4 star hotel will know the difference.
1. They have a large group of students staying, when they leave another lot arrive, turning the hotel reception and dining areas into a youth hostel.
2. The sun loungers around the pool are always all reserved with towels by 8am. If there are any left they are then taken by the locals who come in 10 and 12 at a time. The hotel should have a strict policy about reserving sun loungers, and enforce it. We had to go out most days because of this.
3. The massage pump in the pool hardly works, its worn out and needs replacing.
4. No draft beer in a hotel this big is unheard of. Have to keep buying bottles or cans which is never like a cool draft beer. Again we went out to get this elsewhere. Also Cisk, there local beer is more expensive than Stella. Work that our?
5. There are many sat dishes and aerials on the roof, but you only get 1 tv channel worth watching in the room. I did retune the tv, but made no difference.
6. The flatscreen tv in the lobby is smaller than the tv in my bedroom at home. Its on a huge wall and looks daft. Why no 50" tv?
7. The meals are ok. Everyday its the same food, given different names and put with a different sauce. The bread is often stale. They give you the cheapest margarine they could buy, that tastes horrid. No butter!
8. The rooms are ok, they are beginning to look tired now. They all need new mattresses, showers, and decor. The A/C is noisey and leaks. They are very noisey at night, with doors slamming, peolpe shouting, chairs scraping and a fridge buzzing away like its going to take off.
9. There are many areas of this hotel that need fixing, like broken tiles, missing light fittings, broken lifts, etc. It feels like a penny pinching run hotel.
10. WIFI when we were there didnt work more often than not. Not good with 2 kids who want to talk to people back home. It took many hours to fix when it stopped. The network sockets in the room dont work and cant work according to reception staff. The onsite computer is powered by coal, and didnt work half the time either. You have to pay 2.50E to use it for half an hour. Why?Whoever looks after IT at the hotel wants to gets some training, or hire someone new.
I give up now, I could go on forever, but that would be unfair. It is a very clean average spec hotel. The staff are great and cant do enough for you. If you could only sort out the minor issues you really would have a fantasic 4 star hotel to be proud of. This is an honest view of my time at the Solana I have not made anything up or exaggerated. I am sure if you stay there you will see all my points raised.
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Jet2Holidays , Lastminute, TravelUp, Ebookers, TripOnline SA, Traveltool, S.L.U., Cancelon, Evoline ltd and HotelQuickly so you can book your Solana Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Solana Hotel Mellieha
- Solana Hotel Malta/Mellieha