“Excellent place”

Solana Hotel and Spa
Ranked #3 of 12 Hotels in Mellieha
Reviewed 30 May 2010

Went from the 18th - 25th of May 2010, booked with 1800 hotels and for the price I got it, it was a huge surprise! Booked a self catering apartment which was huge! Nice little kitchenette in it, which was brilliant had everything (frying pan, microwave, sink, fridge etc.) large double room with a balcony overlooking the main street below. Mellieha itself was gorgeous, but very quiet! The beach is 10 min walk away but I'd recommend a bus coming back because that is some steep hill!! Only used the indoor pool and jacuzzi once because the beach was too good to miss! The view from the outdoor pool is amazing aswell and it's up on the top floor so good for sunbathing! No wifi in the room but you could use it free in reception which was great! Cleaning was done every single day (make sure you put do not disturb up your first night of sleeping though they knocked at 9am!) however, only fault was there was a cigarette burn in one of our sheets. Sea Shell Cove diving centre was only 10 mins away and I would recommend this place to anyone going, as a complete beginner they made it an extremely enjoyable experience! Overall a great stay in Malta!

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (2,322)

Reviewed 22 May 2010

My girlfriend and I crashed at the Solana Hotel for a weekend break. I usually spend my weekend breaks at another hotel but a good friend of mine recommended me Solana. Proved to be a really nice and relaxing weekend break, an excellent treat from day 1. The receptionist, Dane if I remember correctly, greeted us in (to my delight) with a quick warm welcome and explained the way to our room 2203. The room was very modern and spacious, top notch cleanliness. The bathroom and bed (although I would recommend perhaps queen size mattresses instead of the single ones put together) are very comfortable, you couldnt ask for more. Added to this, we had wine in a bucket, petals of roses, a few nibbles, and a candle lit room which made for a very very romantic setting (and made my girlfriend happy :) ). On our way out, I bumped into one of your staff, Pierre and had a nice friendly chat with him. He sorted me out with breakfast (abundant, nothing extraordinary but I am not really a breakfast person anyway) in bed for the following day. This gentleman also gave me a quick insight about the hotel amenities and seeing I was into a relaxing weekend, recommended me a hot stone massage at the (sister-hotel?) Pergola a few metres walk down the road, which was a cherry on the cake. Ate a delicious salad at a nearby restaurant, (sorry forgot the name) and spent the rest of the day in the indoor pool at the Solana, which I thought was a lot of fun, pool temperature was warm and nice with access to a big jacuzzi. I would highly recommend Solana, I will go back there on my next weekend break and five stars to the amenities, room setting, and the helpful staff who made an unforgettable weekend break. I would think this is an upper 4 star hotel.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Mark A
Reviewed 15 May 2010

Our overall experience at the Solana was fantastic! What a beautiful hotel and well worth the four stars it is credited with. On arrival at reception we were greeted warmly. Reception is airy, light, comfortable and relaxing with plenty of comfortable sofas. We were given the card key to our room at 2pm - rooms are not available until after this time so prepare for a wait should you arrive early. Our room was 2104 located on newly opened extension at the rear of the hotel. This involved the use of two lifts and a short walk along a pleasant marbled passageway.

The room was beautifully equipped with two single beds (no double beds at the hotel), a large double wardrobe, a large storage cupboard consisting of several shelves, bedside cabinets, desk top drawer unit, ornate table and four chairs. All fixtures and fittings were of a high standard and well maintained. I do over-pack for my trips but for once found ample room for my clothing and accessories! I did ask for extra coathangers which arrived at the room within half an hour, as did the ironing board and iron.

A full size kettle and mugs on the courtesy tray were very welcome although the tea, coffee and sugar was a little sparce. Pop over the road to the shop where all these items can be purchased if you like your hot drinks. Other nice touches to the room included: A large flat screen tv (3 english channels)/radio alarm clock/telephones/bedside lighting/blackout curtain/plenty of electrical sockets - leave your adaptors at home, you won't be needing them. A small fridge is located in the bottom of the cupboard unit which was handy for our milk and fruit juice - the fridge is free of charge.
The bathroom was lovely and roomy with a full size bath and shower, the bath set low to allow easy access and egress/hairdryer/shaving point/illuminated mirror/ shaving mirror on swivel post/ wall containers with shower gel and hand wash which are refilled every day/plenty of soft white towels.

Every room has a balcony of considerable size. Our balcony would easily accommodate eight people. Being at the back of the hotel we didn't have much of a view other than other balconies and small garden area, but hey, I did'nt got on holiday to sit on the balcony all day! It was quiet and relaxing though.
We did'nt use the safety deposit box in our room as we felt the charge of E15 (roughly £15) for the week was excessive! Instead we locked valuables in a suitcase and took the key with us.

We stayed on a B&B basis due to the reviews I had read on this site. The buffet style breakfast was lovely (I can be rather fussy) with a choice of english or continental, fruits, cereals, juices and hot drinks. There was a plentiful supply and no-one needed to go hungry. Reviewers on this site who said that food was scarce must have gone down for breakfast late as they were constantly replenishing the trays and serve from 0730-10.
We did`nt eat our evening meal at the hotel as we found it was rather pricey (usually about £20 pp) compared to other restaurants in the vicinity, although in the village we found nowhere where we could buy a quick, inexpensive snack.

The hotel boasts a main restaurant, smaller coffee shop and bar area serving coffee etc. The indoor pool and jacuzzi were beautifully maintained, with subdued lighting and a lovely ambience while the rooftop pool was clean with beautiful panoramic views. Remember to take your towels as my partner forgot his one day and was charged £1.20 for a hotel towel!! We did'nt use the gym but assume it has been given an overall as we did'nt see any 'bare wires' or 'poorly maintained' equipment, everything appeared in good working order. Despite being tempted, I did'nt make use of the massage facilities which I felt were pricey, £60 for 30min facial was the cheapest item and prices went to £200.

The hotel is located in a good position, almost at the top of the hill on the main village road. Other than the two steps up to the hotel, it is disabled-friendly with lifts to all floors and no internal steps. There are shops and restaurants/bars across the road although the village cannot be deemed as a noisy touristy type spot. It is perfect for those guests who enjoy a relaxed stay.
At weekend the hotel can become very busy and noisy due to the locals visiting the village for what appears to be regular get-togethers and you can be pushed to find seating in the hotel and local restaurants.

Time share vultures are apparant in the hotel and surrounding areas. We batted them away with a firmness needed to get through to these people. We were sorry to see many elderly guests being brainwashed whilst at the hotel and there is no escaping them in certain areas of Malta. Please do not allow these people to spoil your holiday - do not fall for the usual 'you've won a free holiday/wine/dinner for two', its just a ploy and everyone 'wins'. The 'quick hour of your time' will be four hours and totally ruin your day. Tell them you have no money or anything, just say NO and don't enter into conversation with them! Beware of them at the beaches too. They are the scurge of holidays and an absolute nuisance! This is made worse by the fact that the Solana is a timeshare hotel.
Buses can be caught across the road or just down from the hotel, are regular and cheap. Beware of buying the weekly bus ticket unless you intend travelling round a good deal to make the saving worth while. We purchased a 5 day ticket at £11.65 and struggled to make it pay for itself, as while it can be used on most buses, it cannot be used on all of them.

Mellieha is'nt cheap when eating out although the food is of good quality. 'Mr.Wok' chinese just up the road is no better and no worse than here at home and the fixed menu for two starts at about £17pp. 'Ta Peter' across the road is recommended for a diverse menu, the pork fillets were delicious £15. 'L`Amigos' also over the road do a beautiful chicken chasseur for approx £16.
The cheapest snack can be bought locally for around £6.50 while main meals tend to range between £12-£24. Be sure to check your main meal includes veg and potatoes as this can lead to shock when getting the final bill.

Overall, I rate this hotel and location highly providing you are prepared to catch buses to the main locations. Other than the pool there is nothing in the vacinity for children and teenagers may find the area boring. We did not notice any clubs or loud pubs in the village. Download your maps and timetables from the net as they'll be invaluable to you and a lot cheaper than purchasing over there.

5  Thank shirllancs
Reviewed 14 May 2010

Best things about resort - Near everything you need to enjoy your stay. The bus stop is right across the street from the hotel. There is a well price mini-market less than a 5 minute walk, and the pool area has great views - although it can get cool when the wind is blowing. I believe that one's enjoyment of one's stay will depend upon their room assignment. Our room was very nice, the couple's that we were travelling with, was not. If you can, do not accept a room that faces the street or is on ground level.
Best attractions or restaurants nearby - The bus system on Malta is very comprehensive and inexpensive - just hop on the bus and enjoy the sights of Malta. Malta is a small island so any sight can be easily and quickly reached. This resort is well situated to explore Gozo - the ferry terminal to Gozo is about a 15 minute bus ride away. The island of Comino can also be easily reached. There are many well priced restaurants nearby as well as car rental and tour agencies. There is an ATM machine right next door.
As stated in other reviews, this is a quiet area of Malta - if you are looking for extensive night life go elsewhere in Malta as there are very few bars and night clubs in this area.

We were assigned a studio apartment that faced a small field and had a limited view of the water from our balcony. We were fortunate that we did not have a room that faced the busy street (as our friends had), they had difficult sleeping and their room was so hot that they had to use the air conditioner to cool their room. Their air conditioner sounded like a helicopter taking off and after several calls to maintence, still did not function properly.
Our room 403 - remained cool and comfortable throughout the day. The small kitchen facility met our needs, and was well equipped. The sleeping area was two twins pushed together and there was also a pull out couch. The balcony was small and really only had room for two people. The bathroom was fairly large with a blow dryer and a rack to warm towels. Bring face cloths as these are not supplied. There is a safe in the room but you must pay extra to use it.

The pool on the top floor had amazing views but it could get quite cool when the wind blew (which was often). The lobby had a bulletin board on which numerous resort activities were listed as well as tours that are offered. We did not use or partake in any of the resort activities as it was much more affordable to do things on our own. Just walk around the area and you will find the service provider that you need.

We made arrangements with the resort for an airport to hotel transfer - this was a good value at 36E for 4 adults.

The resort also has an indoor pool - much too hot and humid, as well as a spa, which we did not use. I cannot comment on the in house restaurant as we normally ate elsewhere, but the happy hour shooters was enjoyable. The staff at the reception desk were very plesant and helpful and readily provided change that we needed for the bus.

Although we rented a car for a few days - 5 out of the 14 days we were in Malta, you really do not need a car. Although we did have difficulty navigating as most road maps were useless and signage limited - it was an adventure most days trying to find the site we were trying to visit - but that was half the fun.

The bus system is extensive and really easy to follow. It is also very affordable and if you plan to travel alot each day, you can purchase multi-day pass. A word of caution - always count the change you receive from the bus driver - we were short changed constantly and when I reminded the driver that I was due change, I usually received it all in pennies.
Although distances are not great in Malta, plan your day as it normally took 45 minutes to get to Valletta. Ensure that you are also aware when the last bus is returning, depends where you are, it could be as early as 6:00 pm.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled with friends
2  Thank CatharineB
Reviewed 13 May 2010

I paid £135 for 4 nights B&B which is exceptional value. Our room was massive, well equipped, had a large bathroom and also a balcony. We had a room in the newer part of the hotel which is in a linked new building to the rear of the original part of the hotel, the 5 minute walk from reception to the room was worth it! the room was clean and tidy, and also had a fridge, dead handy.

the only downside is that the walls are a little thin so any noise in the corridor was easily heard and the bins were emptied early on 2 mornings just below my balcony. Shop around, get a good rate, its well worth it.

2  Thank g_mitchell82
Reviewed 10 May 2010

Superb 4 Star Hotel – Would definitely Recommend

My Sister and me wanted a cheap holiday away for a long weekend for my 25th Birthday and choose to book a holiday with Easy Jet and the Solana Hotel and Spa was the hotel we choose.

£374.00 for 3 nights for 2 - Flights, B+B 4 star accommodation and one piece of hold luggage.

The Solana Hotel was easy to find it is on the main road into Mellieha, we hired a car and we were able to park the car on a side street not far from the hotel at no cost.

The hotel is situated in a road full of little shops and restaurants. We ate a few times at Randy’s (I think) it was lovely not too expensive.

The hotel was very clean and the staff were very friendly. We had a twin room which was very clean and maid service daily. The only downside was that I could not figure out how to work the shower and the bathroom was small, ok for a few nights. The room had everything you would need for a self catering holiday but we paid the extra for bed and breakfast when booking the holiday with Easy Jet this was definitely worth it as the breakfast in the hotel is 6.95 euros each.

At breakfast you could choose from fried egg, bacon etc, waffles, wide selection of fruit, wide selection of cereal, toast etc…

The spa had different weekend offers and packages that you could purchase – we didn’t as it was a short trip but they sounded nice. Spa prices started from 35 euros.

The hotel had an indoor and outdoor swimming pool bit too cold outside to go swimming in March.

The hotel had evening entertainment which I didn’t expect so that was nice as you didn’t have to leave the hotel as they were a selection of restaurants within the hotel as well as the bar and café and prices were reasonable. 99c massive cookie is a must - bet you cant finish it.

If you are going to the Solana and have children or teens they rent out play station 2’s.

I really enjoyed our 3 nights at the Solana Hotel and would definitely recommend it to my friends as a nice place to stay in Malta.

If you do go to Malta you definitely have to go to the Popeye Film Set its about 15 minutes drive from the hotel – great day out especially on a sunny day

• Stayed: March 2010
1  Thank Kr15tel
Reviewed 3 May 2010

we have just retuned from malta, after a family birthday trip (40th) i have to say i was realy surprised at the hotel, it more than exceded our expectations, we would definatly stay there again, this was due to the fantastic freindliness of the staff, patrica and amanda on reception were brilliant, as were ruby, susan and adrianna in the lobby bar, we had them run ragged with our large bar orders each night and as they got to know us better as the week went on the sevice just improved.nothing was to much trouble for them, my neice and nephew got sick one day(over done the pringles and ice cream i think) and even tho resturant was closed they cooked them a meal when they felt better and let them take it to their room.
the hotel roof pool was spectacular even tho a little chilly when windy, but so peaceful if you wanted some time to yourself, the indoor pool was also good but a little to hot and humid. our room was cleaned daily to a high standard and we had a different cleaner each day.
We were due to come home 17th april but got caught up in the volcanic ash cloud so had to stay another 6 days, we had no hesitation but to go back and check in to the same hotel.
Well done everyone at solana for making what turned out to be a memorable holiday so much fun especially as it was extended and should have been quiet stressful, thank you again to all the above mentioned staff who kept us sane. im sure we will be back to see you again.

• Stayed: April 2010
Also consider these accommodations in or near Mellieha
Pergola Hotel & Spa
#8 of 12 in Mellieha
Hilton Malta
Hilton Malta
#3 of 33 in Saint Julian's

Been to Solana Hotel and Spa? Share your experiences!