Wonderful Apartment with beautiful views and everything one could wish for in an apartment was provided. Monica is so attentive to your needs and met us at the airport to ensure we had everything we needed (including wonderful fresh bread). She checked on us on the first day and gave some great tips. Would say is is the best apartment and host we have stayed in so far.
Thank you Monica.
This is a great apartment. Very close to a great beach restaurants and the most beautiful view from the balcony. Great for families. The apartment is up a steep winding stairs so if you've mobility issues it wouldn't be great but we stayed happily with two small children. Monica is a great host and super helpful. I would definitely recommend this place.
What a great location for our trip! Beautiful views!! We dove with Bezz, about 150m walk:) the beach is fantastic and 300m away, the ferry to Comino and Gozo a 3min buss ride, the boat tours to both leave from 100m a away!
The appartment is perfect and has everything you will need, including laundry! The patio is the place to be!:) A nice breeze flows off the water through the appartment.
Monica had some bread,fruit,meat, cheese,butter and coffee for us to start us off !
Thank you Monica!
Where to even start.
We (my partner and I) have never been to Malta before, so I didn't really know what I was looking for in terms of where the best place on the island might be. After looking around at Malta in general, then looking at all the available rentals for our dates as well as some nearby hotels, I chose to use Monica's apartment for a variety of reasons. Most importantly, because she had numerous great reviews, which was very reassuring for us, but also for numerous other reasons - because the view looked amazing (almost too good to be true, in fact); because Mellieha Bay seemed perfect for our needs (more later); and because the apartment had all the amenities that we felt were essential for us, including air con, parking and WiFi.
We could honestly not have chosen better.
Monica was so flexible. She kept in touch with me before and during the whole holiday. She was absolutely lovely. We hired a car from the airport and drove to the apartment using the directions that she provided us in combination with a GPS and finding the apartment was easy; she was also very relaxed about our arrival time.
Parking outside the apartment was easy (although I'm led to believe that in the height of summer it's more difficult) and Monica was there when we arrived. She gave us a tour.
The apartment is on the second floor (ground floor, first floor, then Monica's apartment on the second floor) of a terrace of apartments. The apartment next door is currently undergoing renovation/construction work but although we could occassionally hear this, it was much less of an issue than I was expecting, especially as we spent so much time travelling. Worth mentioning though because the Maltese working day seems to start around 08:00.
Another thing worth mentioning is that the apartment is up at least two flights of stairs, and there is no elevator or anything like that. Fine for us, worth being aware of.
The tour revealed the following:
- A pretty large balcony with the MOST AMAZING breathtaking glorious view exactly as the pictures suggest. Honestly. I have no words. The view. I might have died a little inside at having to leave that view. There was a balcony table and four chairs and two sun loungers.
- A kitchen area that included a fridge freezer. Monica was lovely and had included a really wonderful starter pack including butter, Maltese bread (wonderful stuff), ham, bacon, egg, cheese, and even a couple of cans of the local famous lager, Cisk!!! There was also tea, coffee, milk, sugar and honey! Honestly it was so lovely and a very generous starter pack.
- The kitchen area also included a kettle, microwave, oven and a dishwasher! I was excited about the dishwasher and Monica had kindly left a few tablets for it with instructions for use. I can't say that it's the most vigorous dishwasher - it's more like a dish rinser, and only the smaller dishes will fit in it really, but it worked really nicely for the glasses/mugs/small bowls etc. I was grateful for it.
- In the same area as the kitchen is a sitting area and a television with lots of channels. We honestly did not watch the TV a single time we were there (better things to do, like sit on the balcony enjoying the view) so I cannot give feedback. There was also WiFi with a password provided, and the WiFi was actually pretty decent! And air con!
- Off the kitchen there is a long corridor. At the end of the corridor is a double bedroom that is really nice, it's a nice size, with lots of storage space, big mirror, dressing table, air con and a double bed in it with a very soft and comfortable mattress. Really lovely room.
- Along the corridor, next to the double bedroom, is another double bedroom with twin beds in it. I would imagine that if you asked, Monica might be able to put those beds together instead to make a double bed but we did not use that room. It also had storage and an air con.
- Next to that room were two rooms in a row that count as bathrooms. One seemed more like a main bathroom, with a sink, toilet and bathrub in it with a glass screen and over-bath shower. We did not use the bathtub/shower. The one along is a room with a toilet and sink, and then a spacey shower and also a washing machine! The shower was absolutely fine, hot water, reasonable water pressure. The washing machine came with some instructions and some tablets and it was great to be able to do the laundry. There were some pegs and a washing hanger thing in the second bedroom to dry the laundry. We were very grateful for it.
So yeah, really really happy with the apartment, it was great for the two of us but I think it would be manageable with four people, even potentially all those people being adults.
And have I mentioned the view? Man, that view was amazing. Oh! And also there were mosquito nets on every single door or window leading to the outside. So we could sit in the lounge area with the balcony doors open, mosquito nets closed and it was like being outside. It was great.
Monica even very kindly offered to come to the apartment half way through our stay to do a bit of tidying/cleaning etc, but we kept the place tidy and didn't really feel the need for it, but the fact she offered was great.
Mellieha Bay is very nice. It's not overly developed compared to a lot of bays in Malta but it's really nicely located. It's not too far from the ferry port to go over to Gozo. You get stunning views of the Red Tower from the balcony (well worth visiting) and there are at least two local supermarkets that you can walk to.
The beach at Mellieha bay is also quite nice, pretty large, and is sandy! There are some water activities that leave from the bay, and we did a boat tour from the bay around to some of the caves and lagoons in the area. I saw people scuba diving and also there were some skijet activitie. I would have liked to skijet but it was too expensive really.
There are numerous restaurants in the area. My partner and I had the Maltese Discount Card, which I highly highly recommend getting, and there are at least two places in Mellieha Bay that offer it. One is MexiCo, which is relatively bog standard, and the other is La Barca, which is a pretty fancy restaurant that is probably worth going to at least once, especially with the discount card.
However my absolute most favourite place in the whole area was a restaurant called Ix-Xatba, which was within walking distance. Typically this did not offer the discount card but my partner and I stumbled across it on our first evening there, and out of all the of the many places we ate out at during the two weeks in Malta, this was the only restaurant we went to twice (and not because it happened to be close!). There was a restaurant on Gozo that would have had this honour too, but obviously that would have involved another ferry trip so sadly that didn't happen.
Ix-Xatba was really wonderful and did amazing amazing fish in a cozy/warm/homely environment, so if that's your thing then go for it. It didn't even bother me that it does not have views of the bay - in fact that probably made it better.
For access to other areas of the islan - as we had a car, this was easy, however the bus service is nearby and appears to be very extensive throughout the island, including hop-on-hop-off buses that seem to go to all the main attractions. We went to numerous places all over Malta - it wasn't too far to drive to Mdina (definitely recommended, takes about thirty minutes) and the drive to Valletta was very reasonable - around 40 minutes but as it is the Capital City the traffic was quite built up - but definitely worth going. We went to lots of other places on the island too and went over to Gozo twice, so we felt that Mellieha Bay and the apartment was perfect for our needs. Other bays in the area although nice did not seem like the kind of place I would have overly enjoyed staying as they were quite built up and hence quite touristy even outside of a main tourist time.
Just quickly, on a more general note, parking in general in Malta is great. Unless you're parking in an actual built-up car park there does not seem to be car parking charges pretty much anywhere. I appreciated that it is a country that is left-sided driving like England, made it much easier, and the drivers really aren't terrible - you just have to have a healthy suspicion of them, but it's fine. Actually the road laws are very similar to England, although the speed limits are a bit excruciatingly slow and I've heard that rental cars are a police favourite so I was pretty diligent about sticking to them despite the pain of this!!! :)
Anyway, thanks again Monica for offering such a wonderful apartment, it made our experience in Malta ten-trillion times better than it could have been and we are very grateful to your kindness. We would definitely come back to you if we are ever in the country again.
With warmest regards,
Lydia and Alexis.
This was our first visit to Malta and we had a wonderful time. The apartment was perfect for us the balcony was a highlight every evening we sat with a drink gazing at the beautiful bay. It was bigger than we expected and the two bathrooms were a plus. It's walking distance of the beautiful beach and numerous cafes and restaurants. Really easy to get to Gozo which we visited twice. We would love to visit again next year. Thank you Monica.
|How easy was it to book the property?||How easy was key pickup/access to the property?|
|Overall condition of the property||Bedding & mattresses|
|Kitchen & utensils||Bathroom cleanliness|
|Other facilities & amenities||Service|
We have just returned from a lovely stay at Monica's apartment, and the photos and description do not do it justice!
The views were spectacular and the location excellent; we were able to park the car right outside the front door and the area is lovely and peaceful, great swimming from the slipway across the road, and easy walking distance for shopping at the well priced Luna minimart and bars and restaurants just around the corner.
The apartment itself was spotless, 2 bathrooms being a real bonus, and good sized rooms all round, with ceiling fans and aircon to help with the heat. It had everything we could need for self catering, and extras including beach towels etc, and it was a lovely touch for Monica to have provided some essentials for arrival, and a few treats too!
Monica was very prompt with all communications and helpfully picked me up from my previous accommodation, and was very helpful, friendly and welcoming.
Thoroughly recommended to anyone wanting an independent stay in a great location and with all the comforts of home.
Very clean and new with air conditioner without any noise at all.
Excellent sea view ,perfect place to be disconected for a quiet vacations.
|How easy was it to book the property?||How helpful were the directions to the property?|
|How easy was key pickup/access to the property?||Overall condition of the property|
|Bedding & mattresses||Kitchen & utensils|
|Bathroom cleanliness||Other facilities & amenities|
|Friends getaway||Older travelers|
|Families with young children|