“Terrible service”

Hotel Ta' Cenc & Spa
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Sannat
Reviewed 4 September 2013 via mobile

what a terrible disappointment when we went for dinner at the hotel. Not staying there as have a house round the corner. Thought it would be nice to take the parents for a drink and some food but it was the least enjoyable eve we have had. The service was slow and staff not friendly. Food not up to scratch. Wine didn't arrive till after the meal! Table not cleared and generally a very poor visit. Someone needs to re rate as not a 5 star any more. Would certainly not stay there or go back to visit.

• Stayed: September 2013
4  Thank maltesefox

Reviewed 3 September 2013

Wonderful location, great pools (adult and family separate pools = great) but sadly lacking in service and customer care. Housekeeping staff arrived at 4:00pm to service my room, an indication of disorganisation or over worked understaffed department. Restaurant waiters sloppily dressed and un groomed (the maitre d'hotel was superb), breakfast buffet had excellent content but was displayed in 3 separate communicating rooms, and not supervised by ktichen staff to remove, replace etc resulting in half empty plates and table cloths splattered with food crumbs. I hope that someone can undertake a total management upgrade to restore this hotel to its former glory.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Felicity M
Reviewed 18 August 2013

Almost gave this a two but the kantra lido area and the seclusion of the hotel itself keep it at 3. The restaurant manager was genuinely helpful, but as for the rest , where do I start ?
The owner had a go at us for parking our jeep at the lido in a hotel residents onlY area, he didn't bother to see if we were guests just snapped, till I showed him our room key.
The adults only pool is full of kids
The rooms are dirty and not cleaned properly, spiders webs over desk light fittings etc.
The hotel food is very over rated and very expensive, there are plenty of exceptional restaurants on the Island offering genuinely good food at far better prices. It would surely beat the piece of connective tissue that was presented to me as an entrecôte steak.
On a positive note, the food down at the hotels lido area is genuinely very good.
Would I go back to ta cenc, in brief no.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank RichHB
Reviewed 14 August 2013

Having stayed at this hotel before we decided to try the Spa Day whilst staying again in Gozo.
But on booking we were led to believe this was a relaxing day and that was definitely not the case. At quite a huge cost in comparison to some more upmarket Spa's in the UK we went.
There were small children jumping in and out of the pool, screaming and shouting!! Whilst I love children there is a time and a place and certainly NOT in a Spa. The staff told me that they leave at 12 but that was NOT the case and they moved to the outside area jumping in with snorkels and masks etc. None of the staff bothered to check at any time. I was more stressed when I left!!!
The Spa also needed a good clean and smelled in areas. I really should not have gone along with the day. Complacent staff with no care about clients experience. The treatments were ok, but have a long way to improve on UK beauty therapists. All in all dont bother. I could have saved 200 euros.

4  Thank Karenanngolden
Reviewed 13 August 2013

...however, after just returned from a 4 night stay at the hotel I cannot rate it higher than 3* - and that is a gentle valuation.

As other hotel guests already commented on this site, the hotel is in desperate need of a refurbishment of the hotel rooms and has nothing to do with the Ta Cenc Hotel, we used to visit 14 years ago, when it was indeed a heaven.

The first room we were offered was dark and smelly. Situated directly at the entrance to the adult pool, there was absolutely no privacy on the small terrace. Furthermore the door was forced open at one point in time, as one could clearly see from the chunks of chipped wood around the lock, which didn't feel comfortable nor secure at all.

Therefore we opted for another room and were given room No. 56: a lovely and airy room, with a little terrace and distant views of Malta and Comino. Privacy at it's best.

However, after settling in, we noticed that...
- the a/c was not working properly and couldn't cool down the room to a comfortable temperature...and it reamined like that during our stay...
- the telephone wasn't working - no outside calls could be made
- the WIFI for which my husband had to pay, wasn't working in that area
- the mattresses were completely worn out (though changed after the second night)
- the glass of the TV unit was cracked
- there were various sports of mould in the room and the bathroom and
- the bed-side carpets were shabby looking, grey instead of white and for sure have not seen a washing machine in this season.

Furthermore the rooms were not cleaned properly. There was a squashed fat fly stuck on the curtain on our arrival and the flies we had to kill in addition to the one which was stuck on the curtain, remained on the floor for the duration of our stay.
Watching the maid doing her job one morning, I was no longer surprised, as she simply fluttered with an old broom through the room. A bucket of water would have been beneficial.The accumulated dust was swept outside onto the terrace and half-heartedly picked up with a spade. The bed-side cotton carpets simply got a quick shake on the terrace (for a new arrival next door!) , the cups and glasses were simply rinsed in the sink and the eco-friendly towel-policy completely ignored.

The adult pool area as in showers, sun bed mattresses (some of which disgustingly stained) and umbrellas need refurbishment/replacement and the tiles a good mould treatment. Only the sun beds as such were very comfortable and fairly new.
No bar service at the pool area as it used to be in the past.

The breakfast buffet was nothing, what it used to be in the past. Apart from the usual cereals and English breakfast items, there was a very limited selection of fresh sausage cuts. Considering that the hotel had Muslims at the time of our stay, the chef should know that one shouldn't cover the turkey ham with slices of pork meat. Furthermore, offering canned fruit at a 5* hotel is simply a disgrace.
The waiting time during lunch on the terrace was completely exaggerated - over an hour for a sandwich and a salad - especially, since there were hardly any people to be served.
Dinner was another disappointment from service, via food presentation, the loveless salad bar all the way to the actual taste. One can eat by far better and cheaper in Gozo.

The only two reasons which made me give 3 points, instead of two, is the very charming and helpful Italian front office manager, who really tried to please us as well as the secluded area of the hotel.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Azzopardi-Weitze
Reviewed 12 August 2013

We always love coming to this most special holiday 'get-away' in Gozo, seeing the same staff again, Rose and Charlie among others, which is really welcoming and they are so friendly and helpful. It is constantly being updated and upgraded - on this occasion Kantra, the small restaurant/bar, lying just 100 feet above the small fjord - by Victor Borg the dedicated owner - and only a short distance from the hotel itself. Down at Kantra, fresh seafood is served with salads etc, while one is able to enjoy the scenic views with malta in the distance. Many guests return year after year, among them us, to this lovely hotel.

Room Tip: The rooms are in small separate accommodations - tuilos and other. Some are near the swimming pools...
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 August 2013

The Ta Cenc is a true respite from the stresses of every day life. Everything about the hotel exudes calmness and tranquillity.
On arrival reception took me through the "need to know" details about the hotel. Clearly my face registered some dismay when I was told the gym didn't open till 9am. Immediately they offered to open the gym for me earlier; all I needed to do was ask at reception. For me this summed up the hotel attitude. Nothing was too much trouble for its guests. Incidentally the gym was always open at 8 each morning and was fairly well equipped with a range of cardio, weight machines and free weights.
My room was bright and modern with a terrace that opened onto the family pool area. Not being a fan of 70's design, I did not find the bathroom aesthetically pleasing; however it was clean and functional which is all I really needed, although an upgrade really should be considered.
There is free Wifi around the reception area. I chose to pay for Wifi in my room. You could pay 3 Euros for 400 minutes or 5 Euros for 600 minutes. It was pretty much a waste of money as the connection never lasted longer than a minute or 2 and it was so slow as to be painful. The free Wifi on the other hand was much quicker and I never lost the connection. In a 5 star hotel, however, I do expect free and functioning Wifi throughout.
Food was very good. I ate at the snack bar most lunchtimes and the salads and sandwiches were tasty, although the portion size was huge! The view was exceptional from here with wonderful views of the sea.
Having friends staying close by, I ate out most evenings but we did all eat dinner once in the main restaurant. Food and service were excellent and the staff could not have been more accommodating for the children, even taking them into the kitchen so they could choose their ice-creams for themselves.
The spa was lovely and I enjoyed an hour long aromatherapy massage for 60 Euros.
The hotel organised private transportation for me from Malta airport which was 65 euros each way. On the way back to the airport, my taxi travelled to Xlendi to pick up 6 other passengers which I hadn't been forewarned about. I was surprised there was no reduction in cost given there were 7 people in the taxi...
Overall I had a wonderful stay and I would heartily recommend this beautiful hotel. The only break in the charm and hospitality I was shown throughout my stay occurred at checking out. While it is a tiny complaint, I was surprised not to have been asked if I'd enjoyed my stay or indeed wished a safe journey. In fact I didn't even get a goodbye! My credit card and bill were handed to me in silence. After the high levels of service I had received throughout my stay, this stood out as a failure which was a real shame. That said, I would definitely consider another stay here as I left feeling wonderfully relaxed.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank holidaygirl055
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sannat
Kempinski Hotel San Lawrenz
Saint Patrick's Hotel
Calypso Hotel
Calypso Hotel
#1 of 9 in Marsalforn

Been to Hotel Ta' Cenc & Spa? Share your experiences!