“Magical !”

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Sannat
Epping, United Kingdom
“Magical !”
Reviewed 28 July 2014

Have just spent a week here. If you are looking for somewhere to
chill out, this is the place to go. The staff are very helpful and
friendly. The food is very good, The hotel and its rooms are kept
very clean, though some of the rooms need updating. We had room
147 with our own private patio, which we thought was a bit special.
All in all a great holiday, we will return.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (168)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 July 2014

How I wish I could click on both Terrible and Excellent. I have taken an average.

It’s not a five star international hotel – its… quirky. If you love it, then it will be for its quirkiness. Actually it can be quite maddening.

But wonderful too.

Excellent:

- If you want peace and quiet, in beautiful surroundings, Ta Cenc is the place to go.
- Good breakfast
- Nice atmosphere in the lunch café – with lots of wealthy Maltese matriarchs holidaying their families, and presided over by George who lavishes his love and attention on them. Worth the price of the lunch.
- The private beach is lovely too – also the next beach - Mgarr Ix Xini where Angelina Jolie is preparing to film her next movie. No prizes for guessing why – it’s got deep blue-green sea which is crystal clear – and perfect for snorkelling with no perceptible current.
- Most of the rooms have something good about them. We had the view across the Comino Channel towards Malta. Others get the pool within a few yards of their room.
- The quiet of the adult pool. The freedom for young families to enjoy themselves in the children’s pool without worrying about making a noise.

Terrible:
- The towels. Oh those towels! The staff lavish more love on them than they do the guests. They need to. My pool towel had holes, and was threadbare. The bath one was frayed, and small. Ta Cenc staff, please let them die with dignity. There is nothing good about antique towels. Get new ones that have erm… towelling properties ;)
- The execrable service. It is not my fault that I forgot my towel at the poolside and need another one. Just give me another one! Don’t tell me its my fault!
- The attention to detail – it matters that you tie the umbrellas up with farmers twine, and you put the ashtrays back out without washing them.
- The gym. 120 degrees Fahrenheit with no water in the water dispenser, and doors and windows locked shut. Its not funny that the air conditioning didn’t work this year either. Oh and don’t tell me to shake the water dispenser to see if there is anything in it. And when you finally refill it, accept that you need to give people a full bottle, and not just half. It was empty again the following day. Wash the windows.
- Fix the pool table. It was the only way we could get my son to come to the hotel. Telling us that it was highly unlikely it would be fixed in our stay because it had been broken for a long while was a wind up? I couldn’t decide.

My suggestion:

- If you think it’s for you, go, but rent a car and eat out in the evening.
- Try to accept it for what it is.
- Get your own internet connection, unless you like to watch the looks on the face of those in the minute free internet area when they lose the free connection yet again only to be asked to re-login and pay…

My running machine slowed down on its own as I tried to keep exercising in the unbearable heat of the gym. If you’re the sort of person who might be happy to let it go slower, then this is probably the place for you. I am afraid I kept trying to turn up the speed.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
6 Thank 395Edward
Australia
Reviewed 23 July 2014

We enjoyed this Resort immensely, especially breakfast under beautiful skies & trees. The reception Staff could have been a little bit more informative and friendly as the people in Malta & Gozo can be.
Our room was ver nice and clean. The bathroom lighting was very dim and the bathroom itself needed some attention. It looked tired. Bright lights in bathrooms please.

Room Tip: Choose whether one wants to be near a beautiful pool and what one expects to come with it or to be a...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Uppsala, Sweden
Reviewed 20 July 2014

We stayed for three nights. Really nice hotel in a quiet area of Gozo. We had our room next to the outdoor pool which was very convenient. During the days we used the indoor and outdoor pools and also the spa facilities and the tennis court. Very helpful staff and great breakfast! Would recommend this hotel.

1 Thank Rikard S
Sliema, Malta
Reviewed 19 July 2014

I booked my family for a full weekend that started on the 11th July and ended on the 13th July. We had two family rooms (106 and 103) - (meaning that these family rooms are not in front of the large pool but at the back) and one room in front of the pool (105) and another a suite (16A) next to the bar and in front of the pool. The rooms were clean and what ever you requested was given. For idyllic surroundings and magnificent views I would recommend Ta Cenc any day. If you are with children ask for a room near the family pool but if you want a perfectly quiet holiday ask for a room facing the Adult pool (no children allowed) or in one of the beautiful Trulli which although not facing any pool, they have magnificent views of Malta, the mainland. Highly recommended!!! We have also been there in Winter and the Spa Pool is an experience in itself. Part of it is inside and the larger part is a heated lagoon in the gardens. Warning : Children are only allowed to use this only up to noon. This allows adults to enjoy this pool in peace and quiet.

Room Tip: If you are with children ask for a room near the family pool but if you want a perfectly quiet holid...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Chev R
Sliema, Malta
Reviewed 14 July 2014

This review is based on a 1 night stay + use of spa/pool.

Location - The location is PERFECT. Situated in a very quiet area with great views of the island of Malta,on the outskirts of a very typical Gozo town (Sannat).

Rooms - The rooms are bungalow style. Our room was the last one in line, and in front of us we had views of the sea and Malta. We also had a sizable porch with deckchairs and chairs..breathtaking. The inside of the room was very clean and modern. The ac was working fine. THe only setback is that the rooms are not with fitted carpets, but tiles. Even in the middle of Summer, the rooms were slightly cold, so I cannot imagine in Winter. Furthermore, since access to the rooms is only from the outside, it will be difficult to get to your room in a rainy,stormy day without getting soaked wet.

Service - We were disappointed with the service considering this is a 5star hotel. We ordered (a very expensive) cocktail, which should have had cranberry, but instead the barman just put cherries without telling us, assuming that we won't mind. We did mind, especially after paying a lot for it. Furthermore, all the waiters during breakfast look like straight out of school, lacking manners which should be normal in 5 star hotels.

Spa - The spa is ok, having the 'normal' rooms - Sauna, Steam Room. The spa pool is brilliant though...starting indoors and extending to the outdoors with very nice setting.

Conclusion - It's worth the stay just for the location and the rooms, but don't expect the service of a proper 5 star hotel..too many young untrained waiters. P.s. Its not cheap.

1 Thank threepwood86
Island of Gozo, Malta
Reviewed 9 July 2014

We stayed at Ta' Cenc hotel as we were offered a complimentary night at the hotel following getting married there. We got married at Kantra Lido which is such a beautiful and romantic place to get married in. The food and service were excellent and we do not have any complaints. It is quite expensive but it was worth every cent! The room we had on our wedding night was very comfortable and spacious, it also had a particular old fashioned and charming style which we liked. We managed to relax following our wedding night and it was a wonderful experience.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Italico R, General Manager at Hotel Ta' Cenc, responded to this review, 12 July 2014
Dear Madam and dear Sir, I sincerely wish to thank you very much for your comments to Trip Advisor. I must say you made my day and I hope to have the pleasure to welcome you again at Ta'Cenc. It will be personal and professional pleasure for everybody here.
All my best and again thanks.
Italico Rota general manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sannat
Kempinski Hotel San Lawrenz
San Andrea Hotel
San Andrea Hotel
#1 of 5 in Xlendi
Hotel Xlendi Resort & Spa

Been to Hotel Ta' Cenc? Share your experiences!