“great hotel let down by the staff”

Saint Patrick's Hotel
Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Xlendi
Reviewed 12 July 2014

Having booked this hotel, which was well known to me as a standard room (only option on ssite i booked it on) i asked for a sea view, when i arrived i had no view other that looking to the lift in the internal courtyard. The lady who welcomed me, kept saying well you booked a standard room, and i explained i had tried to book a sea view, and she simply ignored me, as if her day was coming to an end and she really didnt care, then she said i do have a sea view but it was a supplement of double the price.
The room didn't have air con working, it was dull, badly lighted, smelt musty and to cap it all, i had to pay for wifi, the only free wifi is near the front desk.
Not as good as it used to be at alllll

Room Tip: mainly because my room overlooked the internal workings of the hotel, and as the air con didn't...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
4  Thank MSJ618
KAzzopardi, General Manager at Saint Patrick's Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 21 July 2014

Dear Sir,

Thank you for your time to review our hotel.

I am sorry to hear about the service offered, we will try to improve on the service we offer.

Whilst hoping to see you again, please do not hesitate to contact me should you need further details.

Reviewed 7 July 2014

We enjoyed our two week stay at St Patricks hotel and plan to return next year. Our room overlooked the valley and was clean and comfortable, the beds were remade and clean towels provided every day. Our only concern was the evening HB menu, being a bit bland and poor value for money, but the breakfast was very broad based and excellent value. The manager and his staff made us very welcome, and would wish them well for the future.

Room Tip: Bay view the best if you can afford the extra cost.
1  Thank bhmh2014

Thank you for giving us your review.

I have read your comment and we will do our utmost to improve on what we are offering during the evening dinners.

We look forward to welcome you back at the Saint Patrick's Hotel and share another holiday with you.

Reviewed 3 July 2014

The hotel is looking very tired and obviously has not been updated since it opened, which is such a great pity as the location is great and worth every cent spent. We had a clean and spacious room overlooking the courtyard. I liked the fact that the A/C was on when we check in as it was a very hot afternoon,and we cooled down immediately, it was a nice touch. Pity the toilet seat lid was rather grey. With some small changes this hotel could certainly be a 4 star it just needs to be refreshed. Please get rid of the pink table cloths they are so outdated! Breakfast was very nice and varied and certainly did not deserve some of the comments I had read before going to the hotel. However,some of the staff at breakfast need to smile a bit.
We were informed by the night receptionist that we couldn't book the Times of Malta as they do not have it delivered to the hotel, which was rather odd for a 4 star hotel. We always get it delivered in Comino! We then found a souvenier shop outside the hotel that offered to get it for us, during the 3 days we were there, that is what I call service.
I am happy I gave the hotel a chance and hopefully these constructive points will be taken into consideration as I will certainly give it another try. Good value for money.

1  Thank irgam89

Dear Irgam89,

I would like to thank you for your comments.

I have taken note of the constructive suggestions that you have listed and we will make sure that we work on them and hopefully when you are back with us you will comment in a positive way.

With regards to the news paper we offer this service at front desk to get the papers to our clients. I will check what happened here so that it will not happen again.

Whilst thanking you once again, please do not hesitate to contact us should you need further assistance.

Reviewed 30 June 2014 via mobile

Stayed over at the St Patrick hotel for one night. The hotel is very clean, great location right on the shore of Xlendi bay. We stayed over only for one night as we had a wedding to attend to.
Check in is at 3pm. Since the ceremony was at 5:30pm the nice receptionist managed to get our room ready by 2:10pm. I can't understand how anyone could fault the service the staff provided at this hotel. Rooms & very roomy & airy, with a/c, flat screen tv, mini bar.
Only con no safe in the room.
Breakfast was nice, good choice all fresh & hot food. Only downside of it was the coffee. Really need to improve it. :-)

All in all a very good stay. Really enjoyed it & I really would recommend it!

• Stayed: June 2014
1  Thank Lava_Angel_17
KAzzopardi, General Manager at Saint Patrick's Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 3 July 2014

Dear Lava _Angel_17

Thank you for your time to write a review about the Saint Patrick's Hotel.

We offer safe service at the reception desk where we allocate a safe individually.

With regards to the coffee, i have set a meeting with our supplier to see how we can improve the coffee that we offer.

Whilst thanking you once again, for your nice review, we look forward to have you back we us shortly.

kindest regards

Reviewed 26 June 2014

First of all this Hotel In my opinion should have been given 3 * not 4*.but overall the Hotel good

place to stay for a week and we would stay there again ,our room was big enough for the two of us ,cleaned every day,change of towels etc,breakfast very good with plenty of everything"some of the comments regarding breakfast are very unfair" also very unfair comments regarding staff for we found every member of staff very nice and help full.So we don't have really have nothing to complain about.Regarding the "so called swimming pool" It's okay for a child to play about . But 10 yds from the the hotel you have a very large place to swim called the MED,just great.Don't take notice of some of the negative reviews I've read for we would certainly stay here again If we decide to return to Xlendi next year but It.s not a 4* Hotel.

Room Tip: "Don't bother hiring a car for you travel all over Gozo by bus for 1.50 euros for all day p...

Dear Mr. Morgangeth,

Thanks for the kind words of encouragement.

With regards to our grading, we will do utmost to improve on what we have.

Whilst thanking you once again for your kind words, we look forward to have you back at the Saint Patrick's Hotel.

Kindest Regards

Reviewed 20 June 2014

I booked the St. Patricks Hotel in Xlendi for 9 days in June. The Hotel is situated at the bay from Xlendi. The Hotel makes a comfortable and cosy impression. The Reception and Lobby ares is nice and the Reception staff nice, helpful and friendly. Just a few meters from the Hotel entrance you find a Bus station where you can go to Victoria each 45 minutes. The tickets are quite cheap and I prefer this to a car.
The room was clean, good in size and just okay for me. Just the Information Folder was quite poor. You dont find any basic informations about the hotel in there. No opening times from the restaurant, the sundeck roof or anything else. You just find lists to order stuff for your mini bar or the laundry service. This Information Folder is the 2nd impression from the whole hotel in my oppinion and it seems that the Manager is not interested to inform their guests.
The Bathroom had a Bathtub with a shower which was quite okay for me. Just some broken tiles made it not so comfortable. The room was air conditioned which is necessary for that room, where u dont get fresh air in it. I had a room with the Courtyard view, which wasnt bad itself. I was just in my room for sleeping so I didnt care the view. Just when the Lobby was busy or people watched TV it was quite loud and made a sleep impossible.

Now I am getting to the worst part of the hotel, the Service staff in the Restaurant. I never saw such bad organised, cold and unfriendly waiters ever in a 4 Star Hotel. Every day they had 5 - 6 waiters but I had to wait long time for getting a drink. In the morning, as i went for breakfast, you just saw bored and annoyed faces. The first thing you get to hear is "Your room number please" in a very rude way. I prefer a friendly "Good morning" first to be honest. Next to the unfiendly waiters, they just have no plan and no idea about their own drinks. I had some questions about their winelist but they were not able to answere me. At my last 4 days I ordered an "Aperol Sprizz" every evening. EVERY evening it tasted different, was prepared in a different glas and one time I had to explain to a waitress, what an Aperol is. Thats very poor. When I go in the same Restaurant every day, I expect the same quality every time and not playing Roulette. Furthermore the Terrace was kinda dirty. The plastic stuff from breakfast were spread around the whole Terrace until evening. Even the ash trays were full of cigarettes at dinner time. Just 2 ladies were nice friendly but the rest were just "Not needed". And there was a new waitress and of course some mistakes happened. The main waiter Paul screamed at her just next to the guests which so rude and made a very bad impression on the hotel. The waiters dont explain anything about paying the drinks. You just sign with your room number even you pay cash after. As I checked out the receptionist wanted me to pay 1 bill from my 1st evening. I told him that I payed cash the whole time. He was very friendly but it just made the impression to the Service staff even worse.
The Food Quality is okay. The breakfast buffet is very small and you only find the basic stuff like bread, ham, cheese, cereals, fruit salad, english breakfast etc. They offer Juices and coffee as well from big, ugly machines. The coffee doesnt taste good and i ask myself why they have 5 waiters in the morning. They r just standing around and if the waiters would bring fresh coffee to the tables, it would ake it much more comfortable.
I booked the Half board so I got a menu every evening with 3 starters and 3 main courses to choose from. The desserts were just the same every evening. cake, ice cream, fruit salad. The 3 starters includet 1 soup, mostly a pasta dish and another one. The 3 main courses includet 1 fish dish and 2 meat dishes. I really missed a vegetarian one. Who needs 2 meat dishes to be honest? Anyway, the fodd quality was good especially the fish. It was quite fresh. Only the potatoes got on my nerves after the 3rd evening. no matter which meal you ordered, there was only potatoes with it. I would love to see more creativity.

All in all its an okay Hotel which isnt 4 star standard at all. I have to add that I am working in the hotel/restaurant area as welland that i am very patient because I know how the job is. But this Service was just horrible. If the Restaurant would be better organised, getting motivated and nice waiters i see a chance. If it stays like this, it could ruin everything. The Hotel itself is nice so it really made my stay not comfortable.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
4  Thank Christian S
KAzzopardi, General Manager at Saint Patrick's Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 25 June 2014

Dear Sir,

First of all I would like to thank you for your time to write your review.

Please note that the old information pack had certain items that changed hence, we decided to remove the pack from all the rooms. We did not want to miss inform our clients. The collateral should be ready this week.

As you rightly pointed out, yes we were over stuffed in certain shifts, this was due to the fact that new employees where being trained for the summer period.

With regards breakfast i find your comment a bit unfair for the simple reason that we offer:

Cereals (chocolate puffs, muesli, corn flakes, weetabix and chocolate rice)
Yoghurt (various flavours, daily fresh, plain and fat free)
Cold cuts (sliced ham, salami, Emmental cheese, soft cheese Edam cheese, Mortadella & Arrosto)
Salad (green salad, shredded carrots and cheery tomatoes)
Cakes (two varieties)
Danish Pastries (varied on a daily basis)
Varies Bread types (brown & white sliced bread, sesame rolls, ciabatta and multi grain bread)
Dried fruits (prunes, banana, apricot & raisins)
Hot counter (grilled tomatoes, pork sausages, bacon, scrambled eggs and backed beans)
Various jams.

Coffee, i will be discussing your comments with our supplier to improve the quality. Having said that here again we offer various options of coffee, cappuccion, espresso, tea, hot chocolate, black coffee etc.

With regards to your comment regarding the evening dinners, we will be introducing a new menu in the coming week and I can assure you that the mentioned suggestions have been taken into consideration.

Whilst thanking you once again for your kind comments, please do not hesitate to contact me directly on karl.azzopardi@stpatrickshotel.com.

Reviewed 19 June 2014

This hotel is situated right in front of the sea and the view from the breakfast room and the 5th floor sun terrace is wonderful. The location of the hotel is excellent and close to the dive schools, restaurants, lovely walks and pebble beach. There are nearby bus stops to other parts of the island and the tourist information office is two minutes away. There is also an underground flour mill very close by which is worth a visit, if you are interested in that sort of thing. It cost a couple of euros to get in.

The seaview rooms and the side view rooms are the best to have as the front rooms face a busy car park, our inward facing room was very dark, due to a very small window overlooking a small enclosed courtyard. The courtyard can get quite noisy, there is free internet in public spaces but not in the rooms. Many people used the courtyard to skype etc and this could be heard from the rooms at night. People also sat in this area to chat and this could also be heard from the rooms as well as staff talking to each other in the mornings whilst cleaning the area. However I am a light sleeper, deeper sleepers may not hear a thing! Some of the other inward facing rooms had large windows//doors so those rooms would have been lighter than ours.

The room itself was fine apart from being a bit dark, but as we were out a lot this did not matter too much. Our bathroom was not clean on our arrival and there were hairs in the bath and plug hole. The floor also had bits on it. The shower was little more that a trickle and I found it hard to remove shampoo with it. There was a fridge in the room which was nice and there was plenty of room to store your clothes. The double bed seemed to be two large singles put together but was still very comfortable. The air conditioning worked very well.

There is a 12 euro charge for a safety deposit box which can be accessed at reception. Towels for the beach can be borrowed from reception with a deposit.

The breakfast room is lovely and looks out over the bay, the self service buffet breakfast in fine, with the usual cooked food and cereals available. There was no fresh fruit available except for in a fruit salad in syrup, which as a shame. Breakfast starts at 7.30 so breakfast was not available for some of our early starts.

The reception staff were mostly charming, they were polite and happy to help .Only once did we have poor customer service from reception and that was from an older male receptionist, we found him to be very rude.

The sun terrace has wonderful views and we enjoyed sitting out there with a book.. The sun loungers could do with replacing as they are quite shabby. There is a small spa pool which is ideal for children but too small for adult swimmers, The pool is probably quite relaxing for those who like to sit in the pool and chat.

We would stay in this hotel again, there was nothing massively wrong with it and the views are lovely. The staff were mostly great. The reception and public areas are nice and our room was fine. The outside of the building looks very impressive and the location could not be better/

Room Tip: A sea view is a must!
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
KAzzopardi, General Manager at Saint Patrick's Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 21 June 2014

Thank you for you positing your review for our hotel and for your comments.

With regards to the mentioned issues I will see to the so that we make sure that these are not repeated.

Whilst thanking you once again for your kind reply, we look forward to see you again at the Saint Patrick's Hotel & Gozo.

Karl Azzopardi

Also consider these accommodations in or near Xlendi
San Andrea Hotel
#1 of 2 in Sannat
Grand Hotel Gozo
Grand Hotel Gozo
#1 of 1 in Mgarr

Been to Saint Patrick's Hotel? Share your experiences!