We stayed at the Kempinski in San Lawrenz for our honeymoon in August 2013. Having booked a last minute deal 2 days after our wedding we hadn't had much time to research the area or hotel itself but were assured it was 5* and we'd have a great stay. I have to say that this is one of the nicest hotels I have ever stayed in. It's immaculately clean, the staff have impeccable manners and are incredibly polite, professional and helpful (each of them spoke at least 3 languages, so they could fluently converse with guests in their own language - a nice touch) and the food was incredible - even my husband, who is really fussy with his food, was very impressed with the choice and quality of the food. There were, I think, 3 or 4 restaurants to choose from within the complex, a cocktail bar and a lovely wine bar - La Caverna - where we went several times. I would definitely recommend booking in for the wine tasting night at La Caverna - very reasonably priced, lots of great wine, a big platter of food and live music.
Our room, which was upgraded on arrival due to it being our honeymoon, was lovely. The bed was huge and we had a good sized balcony overlooking the pool with comfy sun loungers. The bathroom had both a jacuzzi bath and very large power shower. Rooms were serviced twice a day and we were given new toiletries every day and fresh bedding and towels every other day. There were a few English channels on the TV and we loved all of the little touches in the room - from the champagne and chocolates on arrival to the toiletries, tea and coffee making facilities, slippers and dressing gowns. The rooms were incredibly safe, as was the hotel in general.
Even though we went in the height of summer and the hotel was packed we never had a problem securing sun loungers, and the pool was always relatively quiet. The free wi-fi was a bit hit and miss and we didn't always get great reception but seeing as we only needed it to book our transfers home this wasn't the end of the world!
We frequented the gym a few times during our stay and again, this was immaculately clean and there was always a good supply of fresh fruit and clean towels. The equipment was all modern and clean and had in-built televisions offering a range of English channels.
We would say that the only downfall of the hotel is its location - we walked the 20 minutes to the local town a few times but were disappointed that there was nothing there really (we were looking to stock up on cheap bottles of water and snacks to avoid the hotel mini bar - and we did eventually find one 10 minutes away in the other direction. We were a breakfast only package so if you choose the same then definitely go and stock up at the shop for snacks and drinks to have during the day, much cheaper). The hotel does offer a regular free bus service into the town centre, where there are lots of shops, a market and some cafes (definitely worth a trip) and to the local fishing bay where we went for a wander and some dinner one evening, for a change of scenery. Also, unbeknownst to us, our stay coincided with an annual festival the Maltese celebrate in August, so there was lots of early morning bell ringing from the local church and canon fire/fireworks. This wasn't really a problem - we just couldn't work out what it was all about! The lack of local amenities perhaps explains why there is so much on offer at the hotel (you didn't really need to leave, to be honest, we just like to explore when we go abroad) and why they can afford the prices they charge in their bars and restaurants. But this is the only fault, and really quite a minor one. If you like exploring local culture then you'll definitely enjoy wandering around the local town anyway, despite the lack of shops - the buildings are beautiful and it's very peaceful.
All in all, this is a fantastic hotel in a beautiful part of the world - if you're looking for a peaceful stay in luxurious, 5* surroundings then this is definitely for you! I'll definitely be looking out for the Kempinski chain for future holidays.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Kempinski Hotel San Lawrenz - Where European luxury meets Mediterranean flair! Malta's blissful sister island Gozo is the Mediterranean's best kept secret and home to the hideaway resort Kempinski Hotel San Lawrenz. Indulge in luxury, culture, sun & sea - and find the undiscovered island you have been dreaming of! *** Please be advised that due to upgrading work of our Spa centre, the hotel will be closed from January 8th until January 25th inclusive. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Jet2Holidays , World Independent Hotel Promotion, Booking.com, Prestigia, Expedia, LoveHolidays, getaroom.com, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Evoline ltd, HotelsClick, Ebookers, HotelQuickly, 5viajes2012 S.L. and Cancelon so you can book your Kempinski Hotel San Lawrenz reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Kempinski San Lawrenz
- San Lawrenz Kempinski Hotel
- Kempinski Hotel San Lawrenz Island Of Gozo, Malta