“Everything is perfect”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in San Lawrenz
London, United Kingdom
“Everything is perfect”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 July 2014

We stayed for 3 nights. Upon arrival, we were shown the way to our room and realized that we have been upgraded to a premier room. We chose the half board package and really enjoyed the breakfasts and three evening meals: a seafood buffet, a barbecue buffet with live performance and an great Italian a la carte. All had excellent variety and quality.

The spa facilities was first rate, but the hotel services were beyond our every expectation. The receptionists are extremely helpful, from giving useful information for our day outs, to contacting our travel agents for our return transfer. We felt spoiled sunbathing next to the outdoor pool when hotel staff frequently came to offer wet towel, lemon water and melon! Every night returning to our room, we found the bed had been made again, sleeper next to the bed and chocolates on the bed. Causal chat with the receptionist about our visit is a birthday trip, she secretly arranged a chocolate birthday cake to our room!! Very yummy!

We had really enjoyed our wonderful three nights' stay, sat at our balcony, enjoyed tea and cake, chatting and watching the stars above in the clear sky. It would not have been the same if not for the amazing service the Hotel receptionists and staff had given us. Thank you very much!!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Hong00

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (270)
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Turkish first
Cherry Hill, New Jersey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 July 2014

We stayed at this hotel after a busy stay in Valetta and then Sicily so this was a nice quiet hotel to relax and spend a few days lounging by the pool. The hotel is located in a remote location which adds to its "getting away from it" feeling and I liked. There is a little village 10 min walk away called St Lawrenz and well worth the visit to go to the little restaurant in the square call Tatiana (I think). The restaurants in the hotel are good too. When we checked in they told us the hotel was quite full. However when we toured the hotel and went to the pool it was hard to believe there was hardly anyone staying at the hotel. I think the main reason for the quiet feeling is this is how the hotel was planned and the grounds and pool ratio to guests is probably really high. That said it made it very relaxing and there was never any problem finding a lounger by the very nice pools. Staff also very nice. Everyone was very quietly spoken which seems to be a Gozian thing but it added to the relaxed feeling.
The only negative comment is when we checked in they put us in a room which was above the squash court. This was annoying because the squash players were very loud and this is usually how we woke each morning with 2 loud Germans screaming at each other in a very feisty game of squash. We could hear all of this from our room including the ball slamming against the wall. Also I booked a suite and they all seem to be on the ground floor. I was also promised a pool view. However the only way to see the pool would be to cut all the palms down. My recommendation is if you stay here do not stay in the rooms anywhere near the squash court. Which makes me think when planning to build a hotel who on earth would build a squash court anywhere near the guest accommodation? I would have given this hotel a 5 however this one negative thing reduced it to a 4. Also the beds where not the most comfortable and the hotel needs to invest in a more luxurious mattress.

Room Tip: Do not get any rooms above the squash court. If they do put you in one of these rooms asked to be mo...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Paul R
Dorset, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 July 2014

Having just visited Gozo and the Kempinski for the fourth time, I'd recommend to anyone who wants to totally unwind to visit the Ayurvedic spa. I invested in a 3 day programme which has proven to be a great experience and a great investment in my well being!

The Ayurvedic treatments are out of this world and the food you get on the programme is amazing! A must for anyone who wants to beat stress and rejuvenate totally.

We'll be back again soon!

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Manchester, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 July 2014

Everything you would expected from a Kempinski hotel. Stunning spacious rooms with the most comfortable beds. The food in the restaurant was amazing, and breakfast was one of the best I've had in any hotel.

The pools are lovely and kept very clean. The spa is fantastic, but I would recommend to pre book for and treatments way in advance. I was lucky and got a cancellation.

The bar in the lobby is expensive, but they did a happy hour. By the time you have ordered your cocktail and got it, happy hour in nearly over. Order a few at a time!

The hotel staff are all very friendly and knowledgeable of the area.

Room Tip: Pre book spa treatments in advance. Pool view rooms are the best
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Claire P
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 July 2014

All in all, this is very good indeed. There were a few little niggles, but nothing that is worth detailing here, and nothing that would stop me going back tomorrow.

The pools are very good, the food is great, and the receptionists were all helpful and frank, as were the staff at breakfast.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Dublin, Ireland
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2014

I picked this hotel based on the excellent reviews on trip advisor. We needed to stay somewhere for one night so I thought I would treat us with this hotel.

We arrived extremely early - 10am - and chanced checking in to see if the room was ready. Ok, so it was not. That's understandable. I hoped that maybe though, when the people checked out, they might move the room to the top of the cleaning rota. Checked back at 12, not ready. Checked at 2, not ready. Official check in time was 3 so at 2.56 I asked if it was ready. No. Then magically at 3pm, the official check in time, the room was ready. I feel like they were basically trying to make some kind of point to us and definitely didn't feel like 5 star service. They did the absolute minimum they had to, even though it was clear I was eager to check in.

What annoyed me even more was that the hotel was clearly not very full. When I went swimming, I was the only one in the pool. Was it that hard for not one room in the hotel to be ready before 3pm?

The check-in clerk walked us to our room and I complained about the wait. He offered me late check out which I gladly accepted. The next morning however, we were told we could not have it after all. Again, half empty hotel...

We ordered room service. A drink didn't come, the wrong milkshake arrived and the other milk shake was thin and not very cold. After 30 minutes and a phone call asking where the items were, the correct items appeared. I had to argue about the bill as the service was not good.

Other than the issues below, the hotel itself is very nice. The room was lovely and we loved the bath with the jacuzzi jets. We had lunch twice and the service there was great. I also had a massage and it was lovely. Highly recommend the spa.

If we hadn't ordered room service and had not turned up early, it would have been a nice stay but those two things really soured our experience.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
9 Thank Rachie1234
KempinskiGozo, General Manager at Kempinski Hotel San Lawrenz, responded to this review, 29 July 2014
Dear Reviewer,

I would like to thank you for your time and for bringing your concerns to my attention. I appreciate your detailed comments and would like to apologise for the inconveniences you had during your stay.

As with regards to your arrival experience, we would like to mention that our check in time is at 15:00hrs. For early check-ins we always do our best to prepare the rooms as soon as possible, and in the meantime we offer our guest to use the hotel facilities before check in time free of charge. We hope you understand that in certain occasions, even when hotel is not fully booked, it could be the case that it’s not always possible for us to offer our early check ins another room which is vacant. This is due to reservation requests, i.e. room types booked, floor preferences, bed types, length of stay and other special requests. I apologise once more if you felt that the provided service has not been up to your satisfaction.

I noted with concern your comments regarding the room service order. Please rest assured that I already spoke to the respective heads of department for an immediate follow up and improvement of the service.

At Kempinski, we always make every effort to offer our guests the best service possible and we would be delighted if you could give us a second opportunity to welcome you again at our property, so that we can prove our high quality service and hospitality.

Thank once again for your comments, and I look forward to welcoming you once more to the Kempinski San Lawrenz Resort & Spa in the near future.

Cordially,

Alberto Hormigo Cebolla
Bahar ic-Caghaq, Malta
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 July 2014

The best hotel in Gozo by far for style, ambience and relaxation. Truly a 5 star like it should be. Food is very good, staff friendly and helpful. Since Gozo is not very large, then you can reach all corners of Gozo in less than 30mins by car.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
The Palace
The Palace
#1 of 29 in Sliema
4.5 of 5 bubbles 3,289 reviews

Been to Kempinski Hotel San Lawrenz? Share your experiences!