“Overpriced!!”
Review of Sand Hill Park

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Port Burwell
Sand Hill Park
Reviewed 6 August 2013

For what you pay per night at this campground the facilities were disappointing. The bathrooms and showers were very old and dirty, not to mention the $1 charge for a shower. When making a reservation, payment was made upfront in full with absolutely NO refund given. The sand hills are fun for the younger kids and the beach itself was o.k but nothing great. Wouldn't go back!!

Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
6  Thank d v

Reviewed 2 August 2013

My family used to camp here almost every summer when I was growing up in the early 80s, and it was one of the best experiences of my childhood. I went back in 2001 to find to my delighted surprise that it hadn't changed a bit. The giant sand hills are tons of fun, and I love that part of Ontario, with its wheat and tobacco fields.

However, looking at some of the negative reviews here, I'm wondering if things have gone downhill since my last visit*. That would be very sad. These doubts are the only reason I rated it four stars instead of five.

*I selected September 2012 as my last visit only because it was the earliest date available.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank clauditorium
Reviewed 13 July 2013

I would first like to start by saying how terrible our time was at this camp site. Me and other guests were told at 9am on the first morning that we were to pack up our stuff and leave. Doug (older guard) and another older lady were very rude and claimed that we were too noisy. We even asked the young family camping next to us if we were being loud to which they replied no. So we packed up our site and went to checkout to get our 50$ per person safety deposit. Doug and the other lady were not willing to give us our money back (500$ total). We were very upset and argued our case to which they finally returned the deposit money but did not return the second nights fees that we prepaid. In my opinion we were scammed out of our money and poorly treated by these individuals. I would not recommend this place to no one.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
10  Thank cadkenzie
Reviewed 7 July 2013

My husband and I called ahead to book a site here and were told the price was $52 for the night. When we arrived the staff seemed to decide they didn't like us. we drove almost 2 hours to get there and it was already dinner time. They were extremely rude and told us there was a $100 per person damage deposit (never mentioned before they saw us) and that if we did anything to bother them we would not get our money back. We were just looking for a nice place to get out of the city and maybe have a campfire. We were distinctly given the impression that they would not be allowing us to spend the night. I have never been treated so poorly by a so called professional company. We decided to keep our hard earned money and found another spot last minute. I would not recommend this campground to anyone. They advertise that it is family friendly but I would never want my child to see how they judge and treat people.

• Stayed: July 2013
8  Thank Andrea C
Reviewed 24 June 2013

Sand Hill Park is the camping trip our kids look forward to each summer. This will be our eleventh year that we camp there. If you are looking for a great camping spot for you and your kids (also pets are welcome) you surely will have a blast at Sand Hill Park. Staff is very helpful and in ten years we've never had any issues with owners. If you are a reasonable, respectful and responsible camper this place is for you. Plenty of fun, but make sure that others can enjoy their time as well. Highly recommended.
RV

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
9  Thank Renata V
Reviewed 8 May 2012

The sand is still there and well worth a day trip to see .Camping there is not a good option , as the staff today seem to have a problem dealing with the Public. We still remember the Granddad in his old green pickup back in the 1970's , a great hearted guy indeed. Somehow he failed to pass this trait on to his family. Much better camping experience close by in Port Burrwell, Ont.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
13  Thank jesse w
Reviewed 13 September 2011

I do not recommend Sand Hills Park because they seem to care more about money than providing good services.
One thing that made sure that I wouldn’t return was that I booked a place for 3 couples at around 7 pm for the same day. After I paid I went to go set up the tents because it was getting dark and the other couples weren’t there yet. After I set up the tents I went to the front office to get cell phone reception and I received a message from one of the couples saying that they couldn’t come that night because of an unexpected event. When I went to the front desk to say that they weren’t coming and to get my money, they told me that they wouldn’t refund my money. This was at around 8:30 pm, an hour and a half after I paid for the couple. I even offered them to refund me with other products from their store, such as firewood. They would not give me my money back and they didn’t care about our circumstances.
Their beach is not very pleasant because the water and the sand are dirty.
They don’t have recycling bins. They also charge money to take a shower. Our site did not have a pick nick table.
I hope this review helps the owners of the park to review their policies and improve the stay of the hundreds/ thousands of people that go there every year. The Long Point region is a place to not be missed: a natural reserve with great beaches.

As an alternative, go to the Long Point Provincial Park just down the road. The beach is beautiful and the people there are cordial. 1000 times better!

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with family
25  Thank Jumbalaia_Abitilini

Been to Sand Hill Park? Share your experiences!