“just ok only” 3 of 5 bubbles

MaMa Nyonya Food
Price range: US$5 - US$10
Cuisines: Asian, Malaysian
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Reservations, Seating
Description: Dear Friends I found this restaurant by chance some months ago while visiting a friend at Molek in JB. Was quite impressed with the food on my very first visit, why ? I been to Malacca all these years and every trip I will try different places but most turn out to be quite a disappointment. After some time I gave up and just went for the food on the streets. Anyway, the food at this place is rather authenic , they have came up with Ayam Buah Keluah which had the meat stuffed in the nut, which I found to be rather rare these days. I remember having them when I was young when my grandmother was area. I like to comment on their Kapitan Chicken, I had it with Nasi Lemak and it was heavenly !!! You guys ought to try . Over the months when I am at their restaurant which is located at 8 Jalan Molek, 1/28 Taman Molek ( its behind Alliance Bank , the nearest Landmark would be Ponderosa Golf Course), I will never miss their kuihs, they have Seri Muka, Bengah Ubi ( might be wrong spelling, pls forgive me), Kuih Talam etc ... Even after a heavy meal I will still have a Chendol to go to complete my makan. Somewhat I have made good friends with the owner and chef, Grace Lim who whips up all those delicious food. She has told me that a new menu might be out soon, me looking forward !!! So all those who love Peranakan ( Nynoya ) food, do give this restaurant a try. In my opinion its the best in JB !! Cheers V.A Address: 8 Jalan Molek, 1/28 Taman Molek, Johor Bahru Comparison: about average Directions: Its behind Alliance Bank in Molek , head for Ponderosa Golf Course. At the junction of the golf course, turn left , when u see UOB-OSK, turn left n immediately right. Phone: 016-7167190 Price: US$11-20 Rating: 4 Theme: Local Dear Friends I found this restaurant by chance some months ago while visiting a friend at Molek in JB. Was quite impressed with the food on my very first visit, why ? I been to Malacca all these years and every trip I will try different places but most turn out to be quite a disappointment. After some time I gave up and just went for the food on the streets. Anyway, the food at this place is rather authenic , they have came up with Ayam Buah Keluah which had the meat stuffed in the nut, which I found to be rather rare these days. I remember having them when I was young when my grandmother was area. I like to comment on their Kapitan Chicken, I had it with Nasi Lemak and it was heavenly !!! You guys ought to try . Over the months when I am at their restaurant which is located at 8 Jalan Molek, 1/28 Taman Molek ( its behind Alliance Bank , the nearest Landmark would be Ponderosa Golf Course), I will never miss their kuihs, they have Seri Muka, Bengah Ubi ( might be wrong spelling, pls forgive me), Kuih Talam etc ... Even after a heavy meal I will still have a Chendol to go to complete my makan. Somewhat I have made good friends with the owner and chef, Grace Lim who whips up all those delicious food. She has told me that a new menu might be out soon, me looking forward !!! So all those who love Peranakan ( Nynoya ) food, do give this restaurant a try. In my opinion its the best in JB !! Cheers V.A Address: 8 Jalan Molek, 1/28 Taman Molek, Johor Bahru Comparison: about average Directions: Its behind Alliance Bank in Molek , head for Ponderosa Golf Course. At the junction of the golf course, turn left , when u see UOB-OSK, turn left n immediately right. Phone: 016-7167190 Price: US$11-15
Johor Bahru, Malaysia
“just ok only”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 December 2011

went for lunch after finding out about Mama Nyonya restaurant fm your recommendation. Food was just ok but the kuih was good.
Disappointing though the pics on internet and actual food does not match. Actual dish seem to be lesss ingredients.
Nice place though.

• Visited November 2011
2 Thank Jesslyn M

common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Forget about this. Stick to the ones at Malacca!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 November 2011

Having read the good reviews about this restaurant, we got to try it. N what a disappointment ! Unlike what was claimed, it was way way below malacca's restaurants such as Makro. Tried the lady's finger which was too soft and overcooked and the sambal over it is fragrantless and no kick. The chilli was machine blended to too fine a texture. Certainly not to standard. Also tried the ayam buah keluah. Nothing special and again u can have much tastier version in some malacca eateries. The buah keluah is too dry and too crumpy. The chendol is worse. Doesn't have the fragrance of the malacca gula melaka. N the ice is so fine that it already melted when it was served!! The chendol is tasteless and served frozen! Awful!
Malacca is still the place to go for Nyonya food, unless u are not picky.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank HateFakeReviews
Singapore, Singapore
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Yummy Meal !”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 November 2011

Been quite a while since my last visit to this eatery.

Had a simple meal for the 4 of us and one of my clients was amazed with the dishes that came to our table. The mutton rendang was really good and after the meal she ordered 2 portions of it for takeaway for her family members who simply loves mutton !!

For me, kapitan chicken is still my favourite , whenever I am in KL, I would never miss a visit to Madam Kwan's for her nasi lemak but since I found this "gem" and its much closer to home, am glad as it saves me the long journey.

Will be back soon.

• Visited November 2011
1 Thank Hearty17
Singapore, Singapore
“Nynoya Meal Not To Be Missed !”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 October 2011

Folks who love authentic Nynoya food must not give this cosy place a miss !!

I must agree with the earlier reviewed , they are right about the food here . Was there last sat night with my family and happened to have my order taken by Grace herself . I just told her to prepare a meal for the 5 of us , it's up to her to offer her best and surely she did 
My favorite for that night was the steamed nynoya fish . It's had a wonderful aroma of lemon grass coupled with other spicy which was hard for me to tell but it was the best .

Will be back here next time to try her DIY Nynoya Popiah , however Grace has reminded me to give her at least 3 days advance notice .

Thank you for this experience that I not has for a very long time.

4 Thank JLooi
“Best Authentic Nyonya Food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 October 2011

I must agree with the previous reviewer on his take of the food served by Grace. I have been searching for a good Nyonya food since I last tasted it in Malacca and lo and behold, to my surprise I manage to locate one such hidden treasure just around my neighbourhood! If anyone out there wishes to try a delicious and decently priced Nyonya cuisine, look no further! This is the place for you. Rest assured that you will not regret and certainly will come back for more!!

5 Thank Chrisfood