I really wanted to give this place a great review because the underwater marine life is stunning and the divemasters try really hard. But sadly, this is a soulless, over priced, poorly run and under staffed excuse of a dive center.
- First the pricing - it's insanely high, and they charge you for EVERYTHING. Whoever heard of water, snacks and lunch not being included in a days diving? These guys will charge you for every kilo of weight on your belt soon. It works out at €54 a dive on a 2 dive day, but it's extra for food, water and the boat journey if you go far out!
- Under staffed - 8 divers to a guide? At €54 a dive? Are you joking? Having to queue up behind 4 other divers each time I want to take a picture of something? And knowing full well that being at the back means the guide hasn't got a clue what I'm up to or if I'm safe? It's appalling. There should be a 4 divers per guide limit somewhere that charges this much.
- Soulless - I don't think I got asked once how my dive was, if i'd had a good day, what I'd seen etc etc. The only chatter came from some of the other divers. Everyone that works there is quiet, surly, and constantly walks around looking like they've just been shouted at. Which they probably have. Alfonso, one of the divemasters was the only one who seemed to know the meaning of a smile. This attitude makes you feel like a nuisance! I felt bad asking for a coke because of the filthy look I got from the waiters! And then I got charged $2.50 for it!
- Poorly run - the kits a shambles, all ends up in the wrong place and gets mixed up, I had no idea where any of my stuff was half the time. Dive briefings are inadequate, I never once got buddied up with anyone so I just dived solo and stayed with the group, I often wasn't clear who was in what group until we got in the water and separated. They tried to bill me for costs that weren't me, just generally rubbish.
One extra point - this place is German run and so a lot of Germans stay here, I know it's not fair to stereotype but they really were a sullen bunch when I was there, not a smile from any of them - no fun at all it was like being at school and having to be quiet in class.
I have to say, all in all, don't dive here - get yourself to Bunaken or Raja Ampat instead.
- Also Known As:
- Nabucco Island Hotel Central Kalimantan
- Nabucco Island Resort Central Kalimantan, Kalimantan, Indonesia