“Rainforest adventure”

More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities, Activities for older children
Reviewed 1 April 2014 via mobile

It was an amazing experience to see orang utan, gibbon, bekantan and boars in their nature habitat, and there were a lot more we can find under the shades of rainforest! Pitcher plants, birds, various mushrooms and trees to name a few. And crocodiles! What a fun way to spend long weekend. As to the agent, the boat was okay, the guide was great and I can't complain about the food. I will go back soon to see more cute orang utans!

11  Thank Dewi M

Reviewed 31 December 2013

If you like nature, greenery and seeing animals and birds in their natural habitat this is the place to do it. Admittedly you need to be a bit lucky to catch sight of them but when you do it gives you a thrill.
I low rated it not because of the program itself but for the poor conduct by the local operator.
While booking for the program through my guide in Bali, the co-ordination had to go through a local service due to the location and "experience" of the guides here. I requested a program with a different routine and if possible a one night stay at a hotel and one night on the klotok. My idea was a city tour as well as the nature tour. The local guide said it wasn't possible it had to be a 2 night stay on the boat due to the distance but ensured i would have a nice time and different things to do throughout the day or evening. Seemed fine at first since I don't like repetitive programs and suggested the same.
Picked up at the airport by a very young guide who although was very friendly was more of a companion than a guide. Obviously he was taking his instructions from the operator. Boarded the klotok, which was actually quite nice with a friendly crew, good food and a nice relaxing river ride while they pointed out things to see and enjoy.
My guide now says, over the next 2 days we will basically only be river cruising, to 3 park stations to watch orangutans being fed. My question, is it the same program over the entire 2 days and 3 stations, answer yes it is. Why. If I had asked for something different maybe even a city tour.
Anyway, stop of at the first station, and it wasn't so bad the program itself. The primates hanging around the trees waiting for the rangers to set out on a high standing table a bowl of milk and some fruits. They walk on down enjoy a nice meal and relax. Open up the skies and a downpour of rain. The apes take off and we have to run back to the boat. End of program. I have to admit I did enjoy seeing the apes and even running in the rain, not too bad.
Back on the boat. Requested my guide, can you please ask the operator if we can change the program head back to town and stay in a hotel do something different the next day.
After the boat ride and program it was already late evening and pouring with rain. I figured they might be a bit considerate. Word comes back sure its ok no problem the agent will meet us back at the port. He is also the owner of the boat and crew so I figured he would be able to move things around a bit and accommodate.
Back at port, the agent meets us. Is everything ok, are you ok, what happened. He seemed concerned. So I made my case, its a repetitive program, the rain, etc. Can we change it to a city tour tomorrow instead. And I would leave the day after that.
Agent: Sure no problem, but just pay for the car rental since it wasnt included. Fine no problem
I get dropped to Kechebung Blu hotel (see separate review), I ask the agent to select the room since he has to adjust it according to the cost of my package. Pick the deluxe room, nice service or so I thought.
Checking in, my agent from Bali calls, what happened the local agent informed I had altered the program and the cost will not be adjusted. I am only now being informed, by my Bali agent no less, that all these changes are at my own cost with no adjustments or refunds. A call to the local agent, why wasn't I informed before, why did you suggest the high-end room (75$ per night), and why contact my Bali agent instead of telling me.
The explanation with no offer of concern or consideration, you changed the program at your request not as our inability to provide.
Fine, I can't do much now about it since I have already checked in an hour or so ago. I need to go an exchange to pay the hotel the next day.
Next morning the car picks me up, IDR 300,000 for 6 hours, and there are only 2 things to see. We were back in 2hours at full cost, get taken to an exchange which was actually a goldsmith and then a mechanical shop that quoted such a low rate i would be losing 20$ on every 100$ exchanged. A quick call to my Bali agent, God bless her really. Dont worry about the hotel she will take care of it and I can refund her later in Bali. Even got me a discount on the rate of 15$ per night.
How about the paid for meals that were included on the programs. No sorry you paid for boat food, you are on your own to eat in town.
Although I understand, its the agent right not to refund anything if the guest changes a program, the handling of the situation and the lack of information provided was totally unacceptable. And the cost of the program as it is to start of with US$ 500. Overpriced for 2 nights on a boat and watching monkeys being fed.
Agent aside, I have to admit I did enjoy the initial boat ride out to the orangutan station watching them climb down to eat and dash off as soon as it rained. The view along the river banks was so relaxing and I did get to see a few monkeys as well as probiscus big nosed monkeys.
As a day program I think it would have a better option unless you really want to do 2 nights on a boat with friends. For the solo traveller like myself maybe not the best choice.
borneoorangutantour.com - Not the best experience

18  Thank KhalidfromBahrain
Reviewed 27 December 2013 via mobile

I never been in such beautiful forest like tanjung puting national park. Our guide, Dian, knows the area very well. He even knows the name of ever single orang utan we met. Although the klotok boat we took is quite simple than others, it provides us with good meals and excellen t services. Perfect place to learn the nature

4  Thank Rijanto
Reviewed 26 December 2013

It is quite a long trip up the river but groups of different species of monkeys and other wildlife make it an amazing trip. we didn't have a mosquito issue but it was unbelievable humid and hot in mid-october. we were on a trip with the Orion cruise ship and this excursion was planned very diligently with great guides. the highlight was the visit at Camp Leakey with Dr. Birute….see pics

3  Thank barbaraebner
Reviewed 19 October 2013

We took a Klotok up the river to Camp Leakey. I have never been in such awe of the natural wildlife and weather before in my life. I have never seen rain as heavy as what we encountered. The further we went up the river the more there was to see. The first wild Orangutan we saw gave me goose bumps. This trip makes you revaluate your life and enjoy the simple things. This is an adventure and not a relaxing holiday. There is dampness and bugs but there is also amazing people doing amazing things for the Orangutans of Tanjung Putting N.P. I enjoyed every minute of our trip, from the haggling over boat prices to the massive riot outside the police station at Pangkalan Bunn on arrival. I would do it all again just to see Siswei (female orang-utan) waiting for you to arrive at the jetty at Camp Leakey. A good camera is an absolute must!!!

15  Thank happycampers2908