“Sensational”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Rote Island
Nemberala Beach Resort
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Rote Island
Reviewed 24 February 2013

Nemberala beach resort is amazing. I have done many trips with Waterways surf travel over the last decade and they have always put me on the money. Nemberala beach resort caters for everyone from the hotshot surfer to the family man with his wife and kids.
Great pool, amazing location, loads of world class waves, stunning resort.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with friends
7  Thank Lee C

Reviewed 11 February 2013

NBR sets the bench mark of the highest standard ive come across during my 20 years of traveling. Theres only so much that the resort and its management and staff can do to make an enjoyable holiday experience- the rest is up to the quality of the surf. What they do offer is hands down the best service, care, facilities & cuisine and its all sincere. The management and staff take a genuine interest and care while youre staying here (nothing is ever a chore when looking after you) , the food is plentiful (what you need after 8hrs surfing each day) and damn tasty!
I mean what more could you want? World class waves at your doorstep (access made easy to uncrowded breaks by their boats), classy comfy rooms, a massage set up to relax and unwind, amazing food (so much so that you need to go home and diet!) lounge chairs by the pool, perfect service and cold beers on the beach overlooking the left out front!
I cant speak highly enough of the local staff and management and what they offer (extremely affordable) in this stunning part of the globe.

Room Tip: Spread the word! Pay the extra and take the charter flight- well worth it!
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled with friends
11  Thank PeteHead
Reviewed 30 January 2013

I Love Nemberala. I've done 5 or 6 Water Ways trips and it's my favorite. It's worth all the time to get out there. It's private, beautiful and the accomadations were VIP all the way. Unlike a Boat trip were room can be very tight, even on the high end boats, it's nice to roll around the property and play basket ball, Swim in the pool and eat at the best dinner hall i've ever scene at a surf camp. Rooms are super Clean and Plush. I slept great every night and mellowed out every day I was there.

For the Surf, I got it when the swell was huge for a week and the waves were almost to big for me. There is no line up for the waves other than the surfers staying there. It got pretty Huge and scary on a few days. The Guides were on point with keeping us in great surf and getting us back safely.

This trip isn't for a person trying to maximize a weeks vacation, but if you have 2 weeks, this trip is perfect. Private, 5 STAR and Perfect. It's hard to leave once you have been there.
Lowtide Lounge - Co Owner Drew Fin-Kelson

Room Tip: Every room is pretty much private, very clean and comfortable. They have rental boards too.
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled solo
9  Thank Drew F
Reviewed 26 January 2013

I went to Nemberala with my boyfriend and a bunch of friends recently and had an amazing time. The Nemberala Beach Resort is like your own personal oasis. It starts in the morning when you wake up to the beautiful views of the water, palm trees and sand. The room are large, comfortable and always clean. The resort has a beautiful bar and dining area overlooking the ocean that is the focal point and gathering spot in the mornings, afternoon and evenings.

In our group the guys surfed everyday at least twice, and loved it. The surf was great. Some of the girls in the group surfed but with a range of different abilities and not to the same level as the guys. The boatmen were very knowledge and patient- they took us to spots were we could easily catch waves and it was uncrowded.

When we weren't surfing there were endless options of things to do. We enjoyed a daily massage, a game of volleyball (the staff is very good- so bring your A game), mountain biking, stand-up paddle boarding (in the lagoon), the pool and going into the village. The girls took a short walk into the village for the "farmers market" which Anita from Nemberala recommended we check out. They had some amazing spices that we took home.
There were a couple days that we also got to enjoy some great fishing. One of the people in our group caught an 86lbs dogtooth tuna!! The kitchen turned around and served us tuna sashimi as appetizers that same night! Which brings me to the food, we never had a bad meal. In the morning there were 2 breakfasts- one before the surf session (which most of the girls didnt make) , whcih consisted of cereals, fruits and the most amazing coffee. The second breakfast, for post surf, was eggs, bacon, pancakes etc..all so good. Lunch was served when most guys came back form their second session.Dinner was usually around 7 or so and always started with appetizers and drinks at the bar while everyone recapped the day.

One of my favorite things at Nemberala was the serve. Just imagine sitting by the pool, when Bobby comes around to ask what you want to drink. Coconut, he asks? Why yes that sounds refreshing, thank you. The next thing you hear is a giant *THUD*, and you look up only to see Bobby has shimmied his way up the coconut tree- barefeet and all, to cutdown a fresh coconut. He brings it to the bar, slices it open, comes and serve it to you at the pool. It doesn't get any better than that.

All in all the trip was amazing- the guys got there great surf, we had fun surfing easier waves, and enjoying the other numerous activites. The only complaint I have is that somehow the days seem to pass much quicker in Indonesia.

I am looking forward to going back later this year!

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with friends
5  Thank Alexandra0407
Reviewed 24 September 2012

It is so refreshing to stay in a resort that truly focuses on the guest experience. I work in the industry and the attention to detail at Nemberala is outstanding! I couldnt have felt more well cared for. The staff were fantastic, the food amazing and the variety of activities to do is great. The variety of surf spots was what dreams are made of, and with the boats ready to take you to which ever one you want, I cant think of anywhere I would rather go for a surf trip. The team at the resort made our honeymoon unforgettable!

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
5  Thank thtr
Reviewed 22 June 2012

OK first of all....I am not the surfer in the household. So my review is based on the wife's perspective. We (my husband, myself & my two daughters 15 & 17 years old) have had many surf trips and I would put this one on the top. The trip from Los Angeles to Nemberala was long but Waterways handled my husband's three surfboards, all of our luggage and transfers making it that much more comfortable. On our arrival to Nemberala we were greeted by the staff which made you instantly feel welcome. Throughout the whole stay the staff was always there to help you with any needs you might have during your stay.
After taking in the beauty of the resort and surroundings, we were excited to see the rooms. The pictures are exactly what you get....beautiful. I could of stay in them the whole time reading books and been quite happy. Ceiling fans, comfortable beds, mosquito nets (which always make everything look nice) & the stone bathrooms.
Our days were filled with morning walks or bike rides through the local village where we would either watch the kids play soccer, stop for a cold beer or just take in the views. One day we joined the locals and went to the farmer's market, priceless experience. My daughters did a lot of hanging by the pool and one even learned to surf.
Some of the highlights were.....the sunsets, massages, boat trip to other islands & the volleyball game with the locals.
We met some great people along the way and we have great memories of this trip. I would go back and hope to real soon. I would highly recommend this resort and so would the rest of my family.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with family
12  Thank Daphne M
Reviewed 18 February 2012

I stayed here with the family in 2009. It was a wonderful experience on a few levels.

I liked the journey to get here (plane from Bali to Kupang, overnight stay in Kupang, 2 hour or so boat ride to Rote then 1 hour or so ride in the resort bus to Nemberala). It was quite a hike but I saw sights i will never forget: the bustle on the dock as we arrived by boat at Rote, the sleepy villages on the island, the locals of all ages enjoying a game of volleyball.

I liked fact that the resort was staffed 99% by locals, used only local produce and was an integral party of the local community. This was quite a different experience to staying in a resort or surf camp in Fiji or Bali where one can feel a bit remote from the world outside the walls of the resort or camp.

The surf was just right for me - the main break in front of the resort was big at times but the bottom was soft so it was not as threatening as some breaks which finish on live coral. The resort boats were well maintained and well run and could drop you reasonably close to the break which also suited me.

So far as i recall, there was no TV so we spent our spare time cruising around the island by motor bike, hanging out with other guests, reading and my daughter learned to play an Indonesian board game called Mancala (excuse my spelling). Other highlights included our trip to a nearby island and local village and our games of volleyball with the resort staff.

Tourism seems relatively new to the island - on a positive note, this means visitors are still welcomed by locals and are not met by hostility or cynicism. On the other hand, tourist facilities are not well developed for those seeking creature comforts.

So there it is - you cant leave home in the morning and start surfing in the afternoon and you wont find the full range of activities or the 5 star service, shopping, fine dining you might get in Bali or the Maldives You can however stay in comfort, enjoy some great waves, chill out and see some sights that most of us would never see.

I would like to pass on my thanks to the couple who managed the resort. They made a real effort and could not be faulted as hosts. I wish your resort every success.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family
#2 of 5 in Nembrala
Villa Santai Rote Island
Villa Santai Rote Island
#1 of 5 in Nembrala

Been to Nemberala Beach Resort? Share your experiences!