We booked this with Borneo Eco tours and it's a gem!
Nested by the Kinabatangan River, this gem of accommodation is built and maintained well. The whole ambiance is serene and only the rainforest can be heard.
The bedroooms are tidy and clean, and are named after respective naturalists and historical figures! Being an eco lodge, there is no air conditioning. They do provide sarongs, which are naturally cooling to wear. The rain supplies water to the lodge, which is heated by solar energy. They do have filtered water for drinking, and laundering is done in Sandakan regularly when stocks are replenished too. All catered meals were served warm and delicious. The eco part is that staffs will also help themselves to the buffet when visitors are finishing their meals.
Staffs are all helpful and friendly, albeit only a few of them. Tour operators are enthusiastic and knowledgeable. Even the boat operators knows a thing or two! Or have connections on the river! Our group were divided into 2 groups and we spent more time with the boat operator. One of our excursions included a signal from the boat operator's mates to indicate pygmy elephants upstream! Our groups got there first and had a quiet 15min to just observe the elephants before the area were crowded by other visitors to the river!
There is free wireless internet, board games, and coffee and tea. They also offer foot spas, batik painting, and other activities at extra charge between river excursions.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The award winning Sukau Rainforest Lodge nestles on the banks of one of Borneo's most important waterways, the Kinabatangan River, home to many of Borneo's magnificent wildlife. Immerse yourself in the tranquility of the rainforest and the cacophany of its inhabitants, its majestic birds, all 7 species of Borneo Primates including Borneo's iconic Proboscis Monkey, Orangutans in their natural habitat as well as herds of Borneo Pygmy Elephants. Sukau Rainforest Lodge offers the rare comfort and luxury in the midst of the Borneo Rainforest whilst retaining an Eco-Lodge ethos, the delicate balance of true sustainability. We promise to give you and your family an experience you'll always remember and one you'll never regret. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with HotelQuickly and Evoline ltd so you can book your Sukau Rainforest Lodge reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Sukau Rainforest Hotel Sabah
- Sukau Rainforest Lodge Kinabatangan District, Malaysia - Sabah