Another stop for our 17 strong group tour of Borneo. What can I say it was worth the trip. There has been safety concerns regarding Sandakan and Seppidan area from kidnappings etc. but this lodge's location is safe. The river boat goes through a checkpoint area manned by police and military staff. The resort is one of half a dozen in area. Our boatman stopped to buy some fresh water prawns for us to eat later in evening. We saw salt water crocs, birds and other wildlife on way in.
Arrival into the lodge was adventurous and anticipation was in the air for what we would hope to find. Good welcome from staff who supplied cold face towels and welcome drinks before introducing us to the lodge and staff. Rooms clean and comfortable, no air con just fans but that was fine as it was enough to keep us cool in rainforest. The lodge has plank walks into Forrest area and we saw monkeys up close and this was safe enough for the children in our group to explore with torches at night as long as they do not stray of the plank walk.
Evening buffet was fresh, tasty with curry, red snapper, noodles, rice etc. breakfast next morning by river was delightful. In evening go to waters edge turn off all the lights and watch the stars, an amazing sight. Also night river safari recommended. Lots of wildlife to see and picture opportunities galore. Evening dress code sarongs for men and women...supplied by resort..added to fun.
Note this is a remote lodge and so not 4 star. Wake up calls conducted by local wildlife!! The resort does very well for location and resources and staff eager to please. My friends all said the would go back for opportunity to experience the wildlife of Borneo and I would agree. Some maintenance needed in some areas but note they were in process building a pool.
Insect repellent needed.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The award winning Sukau Rainforest Lodge nestles on the banks of one of Borneo's most important waterways, the Kinabatangan River, home to many of Borneo's magnificent wildlife. Immerse yourself in the tranquility of the rainforest and the cacophany of its inhabitants, its majestic birds, all 7 species of Borneo Primates including Borneo's iconic Proboscis Monkey, Orangutans in their natural habitat as well as herds of Borneo Pygmy Elephants. Sukau Rainforest Lodge offers the rare comfort and luxury in the midst of the Borneo Rainforest whilst retaining an Eco-Lodge ethos, the delicate balance of true sustainability. We promise to give you and your family an experience you'll always remember and one you'll never regret. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Traveltool, S.L.U., Evoline ltd and HotelQuickly so you can book your Sukau Rainforest Lodge reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Sukau Rainforest Hotel Sabah
- Sukau Rainforest Lodge Kinabatangan District, Malaysia - Sabah