“Noisy but great location”

D'Villa Rina Ria Lodge
Melbourne, Australia
“Noisy but great location”
Reviewed 3 July 2014

I booked the best room for $35 aud, it was hellishly noisy from the people next door and the road traffic. Cigarette smoke came in my room from next door and stank out my room, management kindly moved me to another room. Unfortunately this one had a squirrel living in its roof. If I hadn't climbed mt kinabalu that day I don't think I would have slept well. However, the linen was clean, tiny bathroom with shower over the toilet. I don't think you get what you pay for but the location is fantastic as were the staff.

• Stayed July 2014

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
Birmingham
Reviewed 4 June 2014

I had no problems with the dormitory room at D'Villa Rina Ria Lodge.
The price is cheap and the bathroom facilities aren't the cleanest- imagine a campsite bathroom and you won't be too far away from the facilities available here. Shower is warm and powerful.
Staff were quite friendly and helpful. Food here was fine (and there are two cafes across the road).
Road wasn't too noisy at night- I managed to sleep quite well.
500m from Mount Kinabalu entrance. However, remember this hostel is not located in a town, therefore activities are minimal- use as a budget base for mountain activities.
Tip- take warm clothes- the blanket you are provided to sleep in isn't the warmest!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
Kota Kinabalu, Malaysia
Reviewed 24 April 2014

Good for those with limited budget. The location is about 500m to the Kinabalu Park.

My main CONCERN is the BUDGET and the LOCATION.

Yes, lots complaining about the noisy of vehicle on the roadside, but if you are tired you don't bother it anymore. I still can have a good sleep.

I stayed here with my family the day before we climb as we get no transport.

The room comes with basic facility like tv, WIFI, blanket, towel, packet of soap&shampoo.

Bathroom is attached with heater. You can rent other amenities like heater jug.

Breakfast is free as advertised-(fried egg, two slices of bread with butter & jam, a sausage, baked beans and tea or coffee).

You can leave your bag in the lodge while you go up to the mountain.

Overall is good.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 18 March 2014

If you don't self driving, stay here is quite convenience as the location is very near to the Kinabalu Park. Cleanliness is just averagely. Please bring along your own sleeping bag if you wish to stay here because the dorm is only provide thin layer quilt. They provide hot water for shower.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Reviewed 16 March 2014 via mobile

If you want to be treaded like dirt, this is the place to be!
Owner and staff really unfriendly and rude. And they charge you for everything.
Wen I got here the owner asked me if I wanted coffee or tea. I thought: thats nice, a welcoming drink (happened to me before, so nice)
No, she let here staff tell me I had to pay for it, later on.
It is very cold up here.
I slept on a thin matress with a really thin blanket. Extra blanket? 5r. Extra matress? (Weird, they know the matresses are bad, right?) 5r. Electricity? 5r. Towel? 2r. Did my laundry (1,5kilo) costed me 20r. Didnt even wash it with soap.
No lockers, but they will not take the blame if something gets stolen.
And it didnt feel save to leave my passport or anything here.
They took off early in the evening and played loud music in there house, above the dorm.
No walls, no inside, when they leave they lock the restaurant and wifi in the restaurant/sitting area only.
Go to your room, to get out of the cold: no wifi.
What was really, REALLY rude:
I was happy and did the thumbs up sign. Every time I got near them, they made fun of me, in malaysian.... Doing what I did.
Crappy place!
Only good thing is: it is near the entrence of the park.
But thats all.
The reason of their additude.
Spend a bit more in another place and enjoy! Certenly if you are planning on hiking the mountain!

Stayed March 2014, travelled solo

Travellers are raving about these Kota Kinabalu District hotels

Truro, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 March 2014

We stayed here for two nights to be close the the park. The room was freezing, definitely needed the blanket they provided. The shower was warm but you could only stay in it for about five minutes before the water ran out and you had to wait for it to heat up again. The food was ok. I explained that i was a vegetarian but each time we had breakfast they would bring out bread with sausages. We had the worst nights sleep here, which wasn't the fault of the hostel but there is a karaoke bar across the road and there were some of the worst singers we have ever heard wailing into the small hours of the night. It drove us crazy! Plus the hostel is right by a really busy road so you can hear trucks passing all day and very early in the morning. Only 5 mins walk from the park and here are lovely views over the valley but they are about the only two positive things from staying here.

Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Jomtien Beach, Thailand
Reviewed 24 January 2014

On the plus side, this place is very close to the entrance to the park. But the property is very old and run down, and my room was large but very uncomfortable, and the balconies face away from Mount Kinabalu. True, there was plenty of hot water, service was quite good, and to the owners' credit, the restaurant has very reasonable prices considering residents have nowhere else to go as this is very far from Kundasang village. But at the price (RM 120), this place is very overpriced.

Room Tip: All the rooms look identical. Not much to choose from.