“Very Nice But Over Priced”

Hanbury Manor Marriott Hotel & Country Club
Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Ware
Reviewed 28 March 2014

I visited Hanbury Manor with my partner in March for a birthday treat. I found the hotel to be very clean and relaxing. The grounds were well maintained with very nice views. Also the weather was nice out so spent the afternoon sitting in the gardens in the sunshine which was very peaceful.

On arrival we were impressed with the room and location. The Oaks Grill restaurant manager was very welcoming and the food was of excellent standard. I was impressed.

However, i was suprised to see a mini bar in the room with no price list!! i requested a price list from reception however, this was not brought to the room as promised. Along with the coffee and tea facilities a packet of pringles, biscuits and two bottles of water were put out for guests. We were told by reception staff that these were complimentry. we did not take any drinks from the minibar due, to having no price list. On depature we was informed by reception staff that we would not be charged for the water, crisps because we were informed the previous night that these were not chargable.

Two days later my partner recived a letter from Hanbury Manor which included the cost of Pringles and water which, we were told was complimentary. We were in shock that Hanbury Manor had gone against what was promised and furthermore dissapointed that they had taken money out of our account without disscussing or clarifying the situation espescially when we were told by reception staff that no charge were applicable due, to the items being placed alongside tea/coffee facilities.

This situation had spoilt what could have been a good experience from a reputable company. I still find the situation bazaar you need to re- train reception staff to understand the meaning of good customer service as well as being clear about what items are or not chargeable. Also all mini bars shoud come with full price lists otherwise it is not clear what the customer is expected to pay.

Overall an enjoyable trip however, i remain unsatisfied with being charged £3,50 for a tiny packet of pringles and £7.60 for water that i believed to be complimentary following advise from reception staff.

Advice: Do not take recption staffs word clarify with management.

Room Tip: Rooms further away from reception are quieter.
1  Thank LAUREN R
HanburyManor, Manager at Hanbury Manor Marriott Hotel & Country Club, responded to this reviewResponded 2 April 2014

Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to share your experience at Hanbury Manor, A Marriott Hotel & Country Club as a birthday treat. It was indeed pleasing to read that you were impressed with your accommodation and the food in the Oakes Grill restaurant.

Concerning the price list and charges for the mini bar. I must start by apologising that your request of a price list to be brought to your room from reception was not met. All of our prices are printed on a tent card next to the television channel. This should have been pointed out to you and I am sorry that this was not the case. You are quite right this should have been made clearer to you upon arrival. To make matters worse I understand that you were not informed that 2 bottles of water had been placed on the table in your room with our compliments and the water from the mini bar would be chargeable along with any other items that were consumed.

I would be most grateful if you could respond to Carol Selcuk, Executive Assistant,
through private channels so that I can ensure this issue is resolved and to your satisfaction.

Susanne Dierks-Schoedel
Director of Operations

Write a ReviewReviews (1,712)

Reviewed 22 March 2014

This is the second time my wife and I have spent a Pamper day the Hanbury Manor Spa. The location is easy to find from the A10/M25 and is impressive from the moment you enter the grounds.
We were greeted in Spa reception by enthusiastic staff who showed us around and explained where everything was - I had the bought the Pamper Day online including a £20 supplement for additional spa treatment - full body massage.

The changing rooms are roomy and the lockers secure with an electronic locking system. You receive a dressing gown and large towel for use whilst in the spa.

The gym has a range of modern equipment and although on the small side we were able to use the equipment without waiting. There are complimentary soft drinks and water and gym towels.

The Spa includes Large sauna cabin, steam room within the gents and ladies changing rooms, jacuzzi and large swimming pool with walk in steps at the shallow end. There are ample comfortable loungers and chairs around the pool.

We opted for a full body massage and this was a superb treat. After completing a health questionnaire - you meet your therapist and escorted to you treatment room. Lovely and warm, soft music and lighting add to the quiet ambience which is tranquil and relaxing. The full body massage was delightful and the masseuse was experienced and sorted out a couple of tense areas within my back and shoulders.

Upon completion my therapist gave me some advice and recommended some products to use.

There is a quiet area away from the pool with comfortable seating and free tea and coffee including herbal teas.

The changing rooms are clean and there are plenty of showers including ice cold ones outside the steam room - which is large and very steamy! There are complimentary shower gels, shampoo and conditioner, Hair dryers and electronic scales - everything you could need at the end of your visit.

All in all a very relaxing day (we spent 8 hours there altogether) no hassle, comfortable surroundings, pleasant well trained staff who want you to enjoy your stay. 10out of 10!

3  Thank Kermia105
HanburyManor, General Manager at Hanbury Manor Marriott Hotel & Country Club, responded to this reviewResponded 28 March 2014

Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to share your experience following your Pamper Day here at Hanbury Manor, A Marriott Hotel & Country Club and it is indeed a pleasure to welcome you back.

I am absolutely elated to read such wonderful comments from the moment you arrived to the moment you departed and that we have once again exceeded your expectations. As you can imagine this will give me great pleasure and pride to share this with the entire team.

We look forward to welcoming you back for many more years to come!

Reviewed 19 March 2014 via mobile

Being there for Sunday brunch i have only but the best to say. Lovely food , huge variety and everything was very nice presented. Service was excellent as well with us changing our minds 3 times on where to sit but the manager was very attentive and so we decided to enjoy the weather and sit on the terrace. Fantastic views and very good service from laslo (if i remember correct) .Looking forward for our next one . Well done guys .lovely sunday escape just moments from home !

Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank k_novikova
HanburyManor, Manager at Hanbury Manor Marriott Hotel & Country Club, responded to this reviewResponded 10 April 2014

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to write following your Sunday Luncheon at Hanbury Manor, A Marriott Hotel & Country Club. I am so pleased to read your fantastic feedback with regards to the food and service you received during your time with us.

It is very pleasing indeed to hear such kind words regarding our hosts and it will give me such pleasure to pass these comments on to the entire Oakes Grill team.

Many thanks once again and we cannot wait to welcome you back to the hotel to experience the Marriott Hospitality that you have come to know and love.

Hanbury Manor, A Marriott Hotel & Contry Club

Reviewed 18 March 2014

I would like to say a HUGE thank you, to Vladimir and Kostas the Resturant Manager at the Oak's Grill Restaurant, for helping to make our post christmas team dinner party, extra special in January 2014.

We've been staying at various Marriott's for years now and this is our 3rd group event at Hanbury Manor. The amazing facilities and grounds are always a given. However, the attention to the small detail, the personal touches and effort that Kostas put in on this occasion, was amazing. It was evident that all staff, was prepared to go the extra mile with the service to ensure that we were all happy. Even the fussy ones in our group, were happy, which meant this occasion was by far the best, we've experienced so far.

Knowing that our group were heading to the the cocktail bar, they clearly put a call in to Nathan the Bar Manager , which meant that they were prepared for our party to relax and complete our evening there.

The reception staff was also amazing. We arrive before our official check in time, but they were happy to hand over the door cards immediately, so that we could get changed and head to the spa. Knowing that we all had a very late night, they were very relaxed about us having a later check out, which meant we didn't feel rushed. This meant, some of us were late for breakfast. However, the restaurant were quite happy to be flexible to our schedule.

We travel to different countries every month for work, staying in nice hotels. However, the service we received at Hanbury Manor, where primarily the restaurant staff call you by your name, makes you feel at home.

All 30 people from our group, gave positive feedback about the day and we will definitely be back for both personal and business occasions.

Room Tip: Recommend a room with a view of the Golf Course, ideally in the main building.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Joseph S
Reviewed 14 March 2014

Stayed in Hanbury Manor early February. Three girls over from Ireland for our friends 40th Birthday.

I had made a little bit a mess over the booking and when we arrived it took a little while for our booking to be confirmed. This was totally my fault but the reception staff could not have been more helpful in trying to resolve the issue which they did quickly and with little fuss. Because of some decoration work being carried out at the time of our stay we had to move room again this was done superbly with the staff coming looking for us when our new room was ready and not the other way around. I have to say from our champagne in front of the fire in the study to our afternoon tea our stay in this hotel was a pleasure. We did not have a chance to use all the facilities of the hotel or to take a look around the beautiful area around the hotel but we all agreed that the service and friendliness of the staff made our stay very memorable. I would highly recommend a stay at this hotel and a good location to stay in even for travelling into London.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank IrelandDaveC
General M, General Manager at Hanbury Manor Marriott Hotel & Country Club, responded to this reviewResponded 21 March 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to write following your stay at Hanbury Manor, A Marriott Hotel & Country Club to celebrate your friends 40th birthday. I am absolutely elated to read that the service you received from the hosts along with the friendliness during your time with us will entice you back to the hotel. It will be such a pleasure to share this with them all.

I cannot thank you enough for recommending us to others and I do hope that we will have the honour of welcoming you all back to the hotel for many more years to come!

Reviewed 14 March 2014

This spa needs a good clean but more importantly should be closed, refurbished and only then reopened. The pool had yellow scum on the floor which means it needs cleaning, more chlorine and a vacuum, The pool area was dirty (spilt coffee stains! ) dead bugs collected in the lights, mould was growing around the door and chipped tiles around the pool area. The pool area is noisy and as the loungers are squeezed into one end it doesn't make for a relaxing place as guests sit on top of each other. Also as the weather was quite good, one fellow guest slipped out of the pool door to have a cigarette only for the smoke to waft into the relax area, lovely! The spa reception is in the pool area, hence the noise with no separation. The sitting area, where you wait to be called for treatments, was dirty with empty cups, crumbs and biscuit wrappers left on the seats. The ladies changing room was also dirty, taps and other fittings needed to be replaced. Treatments were ok but nothing special. The treatment room was basic and noisy.
In summary the spa area felt squeezed in, dirty, noisy and desperately in need of a make over!

1  Thank TullyJ4
General M, General Manager at Hanbury Manor Marriott Hotel & Country Club, responded to this reviewResponded 18 March 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review of Hanbury Manor, A Marriott Hotel & Country Club following your recent spa day with us. Please rest assured that we take all guests reviews very seriously and your feedback is very valuable in helping us address areas of our product which require attention.

I was extremely concerned and embarrassed to read your comments and I would wish to assure you that the areas of cleanliness you mentioned in our Health Club are certainly not the normal standard whatsoever. Cleanliness is always one of our top priorities. This is unacceptable and I can assure you this has been addressed with my team immediately. The cleaners carry out an hourly checklist for cleanliness upkeep so to hear that the programme is not rigorous enough will need further addressing to ensure this never happens again.

I have taken on board your remark with reference to the pool area being noisy and the space where guests sit and relax on the loungers. The pool is what we have and it can at times be busy. We do use other rooms as a spa relaxation room to encourage guests to spread out, but that does not mean they will. However I do take on board your point and I will review signage. We are also reviewing timings to categorise usage by different groups of guests.

Thank you once again for your comments and I do hope that we will have the honour of being of service you again in the not too distant future.

Reviewed 12 March 2014

We arrived at the hotel at check in time and were informed the room was not ready as it was still being cleaned. After waiting 45 minutes we were given the keys and went to the room only to find the bins had not been cleaned, empty water bottles on the desk and biscuit wrappers by the tea and coffee. Also on the way to the room in the corridor it stated the rooms were being refurbished and upon entering our room it smelt of new sealant and paint especially in the bathroom which was not pleasant.
Due to arriving so late in the room we then had to rush to the spa for an appointment, but we did not have a chance to get undressed first. So by the time we found the spa and got in it did not exactly seem a relaxing start to the stay.
They did agree to move our room due to the smell which was good, however we were then kept awake at night by a baby in the room next door which woke up at 02:00 am and 05:00 am. I appreciate this is not the hotels fault but if our first room was clean and had not smelt we would have not been next to a room with a young child.
We did make it clear afterwards we were not happy as this was supposed to be a 5 star hotel and you would at least expect the rooms to be ready on time and clean. The offer of a room upgrade and bottle of champagne was good to see however it meant we would have to pay again for the room, food etc. After already paying a lot for the room first time around we did not want to spend this amount of money again and as we have had better experiences in other cheaper hotels we now have no desire to go back to Hanbury Manor.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Nick L
General M, General Manager at Hanbury Manor Marriott Hotel & Country Club, responded to this reviewResponded 17 March 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much indeed for your review of Hanbury Manor, A Marriott Hotel & Country Club following your stay with us. I am truly sorry that your stay was not to your satisfaction and that after contacting you through private channels you still remain disappointed.

I do hope that you will consider returning and we may have the opportunity of welcoming you back to the hotel.

Hanbury Manor, A Marriott Hotel & Country Club

Also consider these accommodations in or near Ware
Fanhams Hall Hotel
The Grove Hotel
#1 of 1 in Chandler's Cross
Laura Ashley The Manor Elstree
Premier Inn Ware Hotel

Been to Hanbury Manor Marriott Hotel & Country Club? Share your experiences!