“No t a 5 star hotel” 3 of 5 bubbles

Hanbury Manor Marriott Hotel & Country Club
Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Ware
“No t a 5 star hotel”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 July 2014

Not really a great hotel at all. I know star ratings relate to facilities only and not overall quality, but this hotel is lacking on both counts. The golf course is awful and will the rom size is impressive and adequate, it lacks any substance to make it a true 5-star experience. Most, if not all the guests are stag-do, hen party types (nothing wrong with that) but this gives the air of wannabe, fake tan dross -
not the swanky well-heeled set the hotel would possibly prefer. Consequently you get a 3-star experience but with 5-star prices. If you don't mind paying £6-7 a pint and overpriced food, you may find it to your taste. Tacky.

Room Tip: Good rooms are overpriced. Your call
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
3 Thank Jason S
HanburyManor, General Manager at Hanbury Manor Marriott Hotel & Country Club, responded to this review, 16 July 2014
Dear Guest

Thank you very much for taking the time to leave your review following your stay with us at Hanbury Manor, A Marriott Hotel & Country Club. I am sorry that you found the experience fell short of your expectations.

I am surprised to hear your feedback with reference to the golf course. Hanbury Manor is widely recognised as one of the best golf courses in England with each hole offering a unique challenge. We normally receive exceptional commentaries regarding our course therefore I was extremely disappointed to hear your feedback.

We do have a different mix of guests at the hotel and many of those choose us for special occasions and golf parties.

With regards to the prices charged for a pint of beer. Our normal price is around £4.00 for a pint of beer which is in line with other properties. We do benchmark ourselves regularly with other 5 star properties to make sure we are in line. We also carry out this procedure with regards to our food offering. Saying this I do appreciate your feedback and will be sure to escalate this on your behalf.

Thank you once again for your review and I do hope that we will have the opportunity of welcoming you back to the hotel in the not too distant future.

Govert Deketh

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (306)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
Chatham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 July 2014 via mobile

The rooms are lovely. Spacious with enormous comfy beds. All the facilities and accessories you need for an overnight stay. But why after all the money that is spent here do they not provide free wifi in your room?

Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
HanburyManor, General Manager at Hanbury Manor Marriott Hotel & Country Club, responded to this review, 11 July 2014
Dear Guest

Thank you very much for taking the time to leave your review following your stay at Hanbury Manor, A Marriott Hotel & Country Club and thank you for choosing us. It is very encouraging to hear your feedback.

As you quite rightly mention internet is indeed chargeable in the bedrooms, however, Wi-Fi is complimentary in our public areas however I do appreciate your feedback and will be sure to escalate this in your behalf.

Thank you once again for your review and I trust that we will have the honour of being of service to you once again in the not too distant future.

With best regards

essex
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 July 2014

There was a mixed age range for my husbands 50th birthday weekend, ranging from 50 to 2. The men enjoyed the golf and said that it was one of the best courses that they have played, but it is not a hotel for children. After being in the swimming pool for over an hour we then decided to get a drink for us and the children. There is absolutely no where to get a drink, we tried the lounge and was told that all the seats have been reserved for afternoon tea, we then tried the outside area and was told that it is a champagne bar and unless we were having champagne we couldn't sit there, we then tried the sports bar but we were not allowed in there either as it was for members only!! I did complain and the manager has contacted me to apologise, so that was nice but I don't think that the hotel will change as it caters to the older person. The grounds are wonderful and the rooms are spacious and clean. Would return without children though.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
HanburyManor, General Manager at Hanbury Manor Marriott Hotel & Country Club, responded to this review, 8 July 2014
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to leave your review following your husband’s 50th birthday weekend at Hanbury Manor, A Marriott Hotel & Country Club. I really do appreciate you choosing us to celebrate such a special occasion; it was a pleasure to be of service to you all.

It was indeed pleasing to hear that the men enjoyed their golf and it was one of the best courses that they have played. I will be sure to pass on your excellent feedback to my Director of Golf & Estates and his team.

I have taken your comment on board with reference to the hotel not being for children. I do apologise for any upset caused whilst you were here with us. I can assure you I will bear this in mind when discussing our guest feedback at my next team meeting.

Thank you once again; it is valuable to hear our guest’s point of view and I do hope that we will have the privilege and pleasure to welcoming you back to the hotel in the not too distant future.

Hertford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 July 2014

Me and 13 girls came here for my hen do ,
We got a amazing deal at the time x2 treatments dinner and breakfast the day went beautifully , met in the library for drinks ... Then went to spa where we spent the day .. Back to room to get ready then dinner

They upgraded my treatments ( best massage i had to this day ) and my room ( swear was haunted !!) wonderful start !!

Very relaxed fun day we went to rooms to get ready for dinner which was impeccable ... A man looked after us there I have forgot his name but did tell managers before I left he made our stay , nothing was to much trouble he even made sure we got chicken and chips for the fussy eaters and didn't make u feel silly , when we went for our gorgeous breakfast he even presented me with a bottle of champagne our stay wouldn't have been the same without him

Our room in the mansion house was stunning views lovely robes ect but we had some strange goings on ! The other 12 girls had 6 rooms in the new area which was still love,y as went down there and see and no haunted antics !

Only thing I would say to the hotel is they could have tried when we checked in for one or two of the rooms to be ready or let us know when they were just for convienace as one of our party had a baby ect but it didn't ruin our stay we all had a fab time

Wish they still did this deal to stay again thankyou mr forgot your name you were wonderful !

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
Connecticut
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 June 2014

If you are looking for a great resort with some English Country Style, The Marriott Hanbury Manor is worth considering. I recently stayed 4 nights at this resort and found it to be very comfortable. I had a Junior Suite in the main building. It was a two level suite with plenty of room. The grounds are beautiful and the hotel has a lot of character. I particularly enjoyed the pool and fitness center. There is a PGA golf course on site that looked great. Unfortunately, I did not have a chance to play but would have liked to. Had breakfast and dinner at the Oakes Grill. The food and service were great. If the weather is nice, get a table on the patio overlooking the golf course. One night we took a 10 minute walk to the edge of the property and had dinner at a local Pub, the Sow and Pig. Very traditional pub with excellent food.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
HanburyManor, General Manager at Hanbury Manor Marriott Hotel & Country Club, responded to this review, 10 July 2014
Dear Guest

Thank you for sharing your experience following your stay and thank you for choosing Hanbury Manor, A Marriott Hotel & Country Club. I am sure our readers will find this review very beneficial.

It is wonderful to read that you enjoyed your time with us. Our aim is to exceed individual’s expectations and I am delighted to read that we have achieved this.

I hope that the service you received from my staff and the great food will entice you back to the hotel allowing us to showcase the Hanbury Manor experience that you are now familiar with.

3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 June 2014 via mobile

The first impressiom when you arrive is really Grand and prestigious. The Garden and the Manor are absolutely spotless Butiful. However when you get inside it's a little bit different. Lets say that the overall problem of this hotel is that it's "Messy". Its got a enormous potential due to the historic building but honestly you wonder what they had in mind. The reception is alright then on your right you have a sort of lounge / Bar where honestly the it's freezing as the doors are open constantly. The furniture gives an impression again of being all over the place and mix match We didn't really want to stay in this room to have a drink. At the back you have a charming room but again it's not quite there yet. The library is completely dead and left with tables wich to my opinion doesn't make sense... you should have instead comfy sofas and armchair. Country style should be comfy.... Highlight: the Spa is great. Great sauna and great jacuzzi. However the treatments are Really expensive . The breakfast was really good and we have actually met a couple of nice chefs there, really friensly , Pedro and Patrick they explained us the different buffet option. We also met the Exec. Chef Raj. Really nice and genuine people. Very good idea the Fresh bespoke omelette in the morning. Loved it!

Overall it was a good experience but was expecting more from a 5 star . And please close the windows!!! The heating is full on and windows wide open!

Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
HanburyManor, General Manager at Hanbury Manor Marriott Hotel & Country Club, responded to this review, 9 July 2014
Dear Guest

Thank you for choosing to stay at Hanbury Manor, A Marriott Hotel & Country Club. I really appreciate your invaluable time spent in giving your feedback. We are certain that readers of your review will find the detailed information you provided very useful when choosing a hotel.

It was indeed pleasurable to read that you enjoyed your experience and your highlight was your visit to the spa. I was pleased to hear that you met with Pedro and Patrick during breakfast and our Executive Chef, Raj .

Thank you once again and I do hope that we will have the opportunity to showcase the Hanbury Manor experience that you have now come to know in the not too distant future.

Colchester, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 June 2014

We had a weekend break using Tesco Clubcard vouchers recently, for which we felt we weren't welcomed as much as the people who were "paying guests". The room was clean but dated. There was no milk for a cup of tea, and we had to request some from reception. On day 2 there was no replacement shower gel. We went for a cocktail in the bar, which was extortionately priced, so we then had a G & T. £6 for a single (25ml) shot without mixer was also overpriced. We had a lovely meal at the pub down the road (Sow & Pigs) which was busy but service was great. Overall, the hotel was ok, but by no means a 5 star rating.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Golden0ldie52
HanburyManor, General Manager at Hanbury Manor Marriott Hotel & Country Club, responded to this review, 4 July 2014
Dear Guest

Thank you very much for taking the time to leave your review following your weekend break at Hanbury Manor, A Marriott Hotel & Country Club. We are sorry that you found the hotel only passable and your experience fell short of your expectations.

I am mortified to hear that you did not feel as welcomed as much as our paying guests. All guests should be welcomed whether they are paying, staying with us on a special promotion or alternatively on Tesco Clubcard vouchers. I can assure you it was not intentional and not meant to make you feel uncomfortable in anyway whatsoever and I am sincerely sorry that it did. We will learn from your feedback and sometimes the way things come across make a big difference.

I have taken on board your points with reference to the milk and the shower gel. I am most terribly sorry this should not have happened and as you would expect I have shared your comments with my Executive Housekeeper who is looking into this.

With regards to the prices charged for drinks in the cocktail bar. We are line with other properties and we do benchmark ourselves regularly to make sure we are in line. Saying this I will escalate your comments on your behalf.

Thank you once again for your review and I hope we are able to welcome you back to the hotel so that we may have the opportunity to make your next stay with us an excellent one.

Govert Deketh
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ware
Sopwell House
#1 of 1 in Broxbourne
Tewin Bury Farm Hotel
Tewin Bury Farm Hotel
#1 of 5 in Welwyn Garden City

Been to Hanbury Manor Marriott Hotel & Country Club? Share your experiences!