“Don’t hesitate to go to Kri!”
Review of Kri Eco Resort

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Raja Ampat
Kri Eco Resort
Liverpool, United Kingdom
“Don’t hesitate to go to Kri!”
Reviewed 14 November 2012

We stayed at Kri for a week in Sep 2012 as part of our honeymoon and I can’t recommend the place enough. I wouldn’t hesitate to go back there at all. In fact, I’m trying to convince everyone I know to go because it really is a one-off experience that you can’t get in other places. In terms of the accommodation, I absolutely loved the traditional style huts. They are not high end luxury but that is exactly what I loved about them. You feel close to nature in a good way. I honestly wouldn’t change anything. I was a little worried about whether it would be an issue not having air conditioning but it really wasn’t. The resort itself ran like clockwork with a really friendly atmosphere, particularly Ross. No request was too much for him to sort out. I adored the food, delicious and fresh, and the staff that made it were delightful.
We were snorkeling rather than diving and we did wonder how good the snorkeling would be (how much you would see bobbing on the surface) however, we needn’t have worried. The staff there knew the sites so well that they knew exactly where to take us for amazing reefs that were easy to snorkel. I also have a fear of being left in the sea and so don’t really like snorkeling without being able to see the dive boat. All the staff understood this and really made an effort so that I could get the best experience out of my stay. I really can’t put into words how good they were. I can particularly recommend the day trip to Fam – it’s a fantastic trip and you really should do it at some point in your stay. We also went on a bird watching trip on one of the local islands and saw so many different types of birds including 2 different types of birds of paradise, palm cockatoo, triton, cockatoo, great-billed parrot, eclectus parrot, loris and some big horn bills.
In short, this is an amazing place to go and whatever your reason for going you will have a fantastic time. In my opinion, the landscape both above and underwater is some of the most beautiful I’ve seen. It is more beautiful and diverse than places like the Maldives (although it is fantastic there too). I have not seen reefs so diverse anywhere else in the world and the house reef at Kri has some really impressive marine life. While we were there we saw black tip sharks, turtles, octopus, eels, eagle ray, walking sharks, triggers, butterfly fish, tangs, angelfish, big puffers, barracuda, tusk fish and loads of parrotfish to name just a few. Don’t hesitate to go, you won’t regret it.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank JoFoth

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
Warsaw, Poland
Reviewed 2 November 2012

There are no words to describe what we experienced during our stay in Kri Eco Resort for one week. It was amazing, awesome, breath-taking. To be honest with you after diving in Raja Ampat in Papua there are no reason to dive in other places. For sure in the future we are going to come back once again. It is only the matter of time and the money (the stay in Kri Eco Resort is rather expensive; it could be a little bit cheaper) . It was, once again, just incredible!

Kri Eco Resort is located on the small island in Raja Ampat area named Kri. It takes about 2 hours by boat to get there from Sorong. Wonderful bungalows which are built on the piles half covered by the water. Under the bungalows you can find some small white tip sharks:) Our bungalow was divided into two separate parts for two pairs of guests. The bathroom and toilet (shared for one bungalow) are located just next to your bungalow. In the bathroom the water is a little bit salty and is warm (there are no hot water) because everything on Kri Island is “eco”. For us living in harmony with the Mother of Nature was just amazing. Each day during our dives the bungalows were being cleaned by Kri Eco staff so it was very nice to come back to the clean and tidy bungalow. Also you can leave the clothes for laundry and get your clean clothes back on the next day without any additional charges. Everyday we did 4 dives: 8 am, 11 am, 15 pm and 17:30pm (sunset dive) or 19:00 (night dive). Due to that schedule the meals are served: breakfast 6:45 am, lunch 13:00 pm, dinner 19:00. Everything was delicious. They served lots of sea food and poultry. Sea food was amazing, especially fishes. Additionally lots of fruits so sweet that it is impossible to find almost the same taste in Europe.

What can we say (and especially myself) about diving and the underwater world in Raja Ampat? I do not know how to start... During the first dive I could not believe that it was real. It was like lying on the couch and watching one of the most breath-taking movie made by National Geographic or Discovery Channel. There was only one difference – everything what we saw was real. I remember that during one of many dives we did there I almost started to cry; I felt that the tears were in my eyes due to the wonderful underwater nature.

It will last forever in our memories!!!

All the best to All Staff Members of Kri Eco Resort
Magda & Pawel from Poland

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
7 Thank Magda_and_Pawel
Shenzhen
Reviewed 7 October 2012

Setting: Papua in itself is just amazing. I just came back from a one week trip to Kri... it was great. I wanted to sum up my impressions because Kri will not be for everyone ... but I truly enjoyed my stay there.
The Hotel is 20 minutes walk from Sorido bay on Kri Island. It's set along a perfect beach on top of a coral reef in very beautiful and natural setting. You will be awoken by the native birds and see fish swim in front and underneath your bungalow all day long.

- Diving: Raja Ampat offers beautiful diving. No crowds (didn't meet another dive boat on a single dive) !!! The Hotels (Sorido bay and Kri) use motorboats to go out diving in groups of 4 to 6 people with 2 dive guides. There are plenty of sites to dive within a short boat ride away and they were all beautiful. Manta's, sharks, coral, macro... it's all there. Usually the dives are at 8 am, 11 am and 3 pm. Plus night dive and jetty dives.
New equipment, good boats, great guides and no complaints whatsoever!

Rooms: Beautiful simple wooden huts on the water. Very simple. The bungalows have power and a western bed but nothing else. no windows (out of glass at least), no AC, no TV etc.
So it is perfect to relax. You can look through the floor boards at the corals below - every morning you will be greeted by baby sharks swimming right in front of your balcony. Our hut had (as most do) direct access to water so you can jump right in (at high tide)..
The Huts are "open" and built out of bamboo and leaves. So Gekos and the occasional bird or bat may visit you. The bed has a heavy netting so you can sleep well but you might wake up to the odd noise once in a while... It is really close to nature :-) (we had several Geckos and bats visit us)
Another plus: Free laundry (hand washed by the staff so it takes 2-3 days)

Bathrooms: There are several separate bathroom buildings with western toilets and "Mandis". These are sort of like showers. You take a bucket of water and pour it over you. But in a clean and tiled shower room... just no overhead shower head.... So don't be spooked by this :-) That's basically the only drawback (no showers in the standard rooms)/ But you'll survive and most people didn't mind at all once you get used to it
Even though it's shared bathrooms it's almost as if it is your own since there are max 24 guests and they build a lot of toilets close to every house..

The Hotel said they will add Wifi soon. But right now none as available. You can walk over to Sorido bay (sister Hotel a bit more high end) and log on to their wifi to check mails..

Food: You eat what they serve. No choices either on timing or what to eat. It is however quite good but of course the 2-3 meals of the day can not meet everyone's requirements. Usually breakfast is a mix of eggs, pancakes and cereal with coffee or tea. Lunch and dinner are rice (always), Tuna, and chicken plus veggies. So healthy and usually quite tasty. I enjoyed it. And of course lots of fruit is always available.

Drinks: They have beer for 2.5 euro a bottle and some soda etc. Coffee, water and tee are free all day.

Other things to do: Snorkeling, swimming and diving. The beach is great for a walk but basically there is nothing else to do around there. My girlfriend doesn't dive and still loved it. We went snorkeling and just enjoyed the natural settings and beaches.

Drawback: They charge extra for some trips such as "The Passage" (60 euros per person) which is really a joke as it is not that far and should be included if you stay a full week. But it's only 2-3 destinations that they charge extra and there are plenty of "free" dive sites.
Also, the Manager did not really ask who wants to go where but just assigned divers to groups... towards the end of the week this improved though.

Best: The nature, diving and the super friendly and service oriented local staff!!!

Enjoy it! But only if you don't mind sleeping in the "open" and not being spoiled. You will love this place since it is really close to nature... a much better experience than most 5 start resorts could ever offer. And the diving is just perfect.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank TravelRaoul
Port Ludlow, Washington
Reviewed 6 October 2012

I have been snorkeling reefs and walls around the Equator over 20 years and have over 3000 in-water hours after shedding scuba. I sun protect with a lycra UV suit and carry excellent gear, but was concerned that I would snorkel alone at this unknown to me location. No worries. Excellent crew had 2 boatmen watching me, staying with me the entire 2 weeks. Dive master ensured I saw best near surface animals. My interests were valued, indulged and remembered (even foods) plus the bonus: (hear this) divers pushed the fish (including pelagics) up the slopes and walls to me. Even drifts in current were safe as the boatmen positioned themselves to intercept. This site and crew is better than any (including live aboards) I have ever experienced. Good spirited, quality, caring people buoyed me, included me, and ensured I had exceptional daily Raja Ampat time.

Room Tip: One cabin now exists with a bathroom & warm water inside. Others require a walk to the Mandi so...
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled solo
3 Thank Judith W
Paris, France
Reviewed 22 September 2012

Kri Eco Resort is not an easy place to get to, at best you will probably need two flights from Jakarta and a 2 hour boat-ride to reach the resort, but it is definitely worth the trip, the area is just sublime, both in and out of the water.

I definitely enjoyed my time there, the bungalows are above the water, they are basic but comfortable with fans, a mosquito net and a small patio in the back with a curved bamboo bench and a hammock, The water is pretty shallow where the overwater bungalows are so you can't really jump off the balcony into the water. But it is pretty cool that you can wade out so far into the clear turquoise water! Also there were so many fish and I even saw a few stingrays and black tip reef sharks swim past my bungalow!
The staff is what really makes or busts a place, you can be in paradise but if you are there with the wrong people it really is going to affect your experience. In the case of Kri Eco Resort, the staff is genuinely friendly, interested and they know their job, they do not just smile because they have to.
The food is excellent, the cooking staff is really good at changing the routine regarding meals, each time we had something different in the span of 2 weeks, including for breakfast! This is a nice touch. It is also important to mention that drinking water, tea, coffea, fruits, biscuits, syrup, etc...are free.
The management is good at listening at what you have to say, Ross and Dwayne are interested and concerned and will try to accommodate as best as possible.
The diving is good, very good if you like big things like sharks, stingrays, barracudas, napoleons, fairly good if you like macro. The reef is extremely healthy, if you consider Kri Eco Resort some of the best diving in the world will depend on what you have experienced previously and what your preferences are.
The diving operations run like clockwork. Well organized, efficient. Very good dive guides, boats and boat crew.

However, there are a few things that dampered my enthusiasm.
First, the billing policy is unclear, for example, some of the guests have been charged a snorkeling trip to the Fam islands for €79 (€60 as an excursion + €19 as a snorkeling trip) whereas I was charged for the same trip for €60, no matter whether you look at their website or at their guidebook that you can find in all the bungalows, it is not clearly stated.
Also, it is important to point out that the resort applies a single room sucharge, I understand the application of this surcharge when the resort works at full capacity, but in the first week of september there were only 4 guests (out of a capacity of 24 guests) so it is difficult to understand the application of a single room surcharge charge which by the way makes up 1/3 of the basic rate.
It is all the more difficult to understand since one of the guests staying at the same period had her diving buddy cancel his trip at the last minute due to circumstances beyond his control, and the single room surcharge didn't apply though.
Such differences in the treatment of the guests for similar facts are pretty annoying.
The same applies to the general rules, indeed, there are a few rules set in the guidebook which you can read when you check in, among them, it is stated that no smoking is allowed on the boats, still, some guests did smoke on the boats, even worst was when the guests offered cigarettes to the diving staff who accepted them!
The same way, the guests are being asked to wear tops in the restaurant in order not to shock the local staff, but several times some guests did have lunch without a top in company of the resort managers who did not seem to bother to remind them of the rules of the resort.
There was also a problem with the meals bell, indeed, a bell is supposed to ring in order to inform the guests throughout the resort that breakfast/lunch/dinner are ready. However, whenever the main group returned from a dive just for lunch the bell did not ring for the other guests who had not taken part in the dive, because of this I missed 3 lunches.
Also, the resorts boasts itself over being eco-friendly, for example by building the bungalows with local materials or by charging a Rp500,000 as a conservation fee, but besides this the staff throws away their cigarette butts into the bush behind the beach or their banana peels directly into the sea.
Several guests also reported some issues with the managers of the nearby Sorido Bay Resort, I myself was also confronted with this, for example, after an hour exhausting hike in the forest from Kri Eco to Sorido Bay to buy and send postcards, I stumbled across Jimmy, the manager of Sorido who instead replied by a cold and distant "who are you and what do you want?". How welcoming!
Moreover, some services are probably overpriced, I understand that due to its remoteness and the cost of transport the resort must pass it onto its customers, still, renting a snorkeling gear for €10 a day (the average noted in Indonesia is rather €4 or €5 for a similar renting) or offering postcards&postage for €4 each (the same service has been noted for €2 on average anywhere else in the country), the remoteness doesn't explain it all.
Lastly, I mentioned the guidebook earlier in this review, they say in it that there are a few snakes on the island, but that they are small, shy and harmless, please disregard this comment and don't believe all that is said in this guide, be very careful because one night in the path between my bungalow and the toilets I stumbled across a 1m20 or 1m30 long, poisonous sea snake (sea attached pictures). Had I not taken my torch I would have walked on it.

So my conclusion is that Kri Eco Resort is good, but not flawless and in my opinion not exactly what it markets itself to be, the fabulous website oversells this resort!

• Stayed September 2012, travelled solo
9 Thank Eric B
Reviewed 9 September 2012

I stayed at Kri Eco with 3 buddies of mine. It took 2 planes and a long boat ride to arrive at our mysterious, yet long time hyped destination. The moment we pulled up to the jetty (boat dock), I poked my head outside to witness paradise. Not the tacky, cliche, over used word "paradise" that people seem to throw around to describe a beach, palm tree, and a bartender serving fruity cocktails. Kri resort on the island of Raja Ampat was true paradise. Secluded from city lights, engine exhaust, and the hustle and bustle of a 3rd world country lie a few thatched roof houses on high stilts over the shallow clear blue water and white sand beach. The hospitality was immediate upon arrival. We were greeted as if we were family returning home after a long trip. Our rooms were simple. Beds, table, hammock, and a wicker basket for your dirty laundry. The service is incredible if you think about how remote kri is, and how little resources are readily available. Breakfast, lunch, and dinner are served promptly and generously. The food was almost as good as the whole experience. Though it can't and shouldn't be compared, I should say the food heightened the experienced to new levels. There's nothing like coming back to a dozen hot home cooked dishes sprawled across a table after a nice dive. The diving-- you will need to experience yourself as nothing I say in this review will do it justice. Dive smart, dive safe, and everything else will be taken care of for you at Kri Eco. I was lucky enough to have had 7 days at Kri. Amazing people, great staff, and the beauty above and below the water will always be remembered and appreciated.

• Stayed August 2012
1 Thank Fashnmonky
Honolulu, Hawaii, United States
Reviewed 9 September 2012

i have been diving all over indonesia. spent a lot of time everywhere. this review is not about the reef. because if you are looking about going on a vacation to Raja Ampat you probably already know how amazing the ocean is in this part of the world. This review gives BIG UPs to the Kri Eco Resort and CREW!

People make everything special. I have never been on such a fun dive trip in my life. the papuans are incredible. in touch first hand with the ocean. I live in hawaii and thought I was in touch with the ocean, but these guys are really special.
I can only speak from my experiences but Ross, the "boss". he runs the ship. what a cool young guy running the resort. very mellow and very professional. i have had incredible nights having a few bintangs with ross talking about the ocean and the marine life specific to Papua, or talking about or sister in laws cousin who is going through a rough time. This place is special. One of a kind. I never make return trips because i like to continue to see new environments. KRI ECO will be revisited.
Crew of Milky, Yance, Sakeus and Albert was all time. Never shared so many laughs with people without sharing language. Complete fun smiles and as good as dive masters and crew get.
You will never see another diver on your dives. not even your friends. "where did they go" enough reef and wildlife to spend the rest of your life here and not get bored.
oh. no bugs in rooms. everything is great. maybe a few crabs here and there on the steps. its a pleasure pulling a crab off your steps in the morning.

ALOHA from Hawaii.

TeraAilan Heritage Resort
TeraAilan Heritage Resort
#5 of 5 in Raja Ampat
Hamueco Dive Resort Raja Ampat

Been to Kri Eco Resort? Share your experiences!