Raja Ampat Doberai Eco Resort
US$469
Gurara Dive Resort(Raja Ampat)(Great Value!)
US$60
Waiwo Dive Resort(Raja Ampat)
US$211
US$66
Agoda.com
  • Pool
  • Beachfront
All reviewsprivate islandeco resortchickenfishbungalow deckclear sea waterfiltered waterunforgettable placememorable holidaysea shellsbirds singingmagical weekbreathtaking view of the oceanon stiltsmother naturewater hutsparadise island
Reviewed 21 March 2014

Excellent resort located in very nice environment, the coral reef and the fishes are awesome, just snorkeling in front of the resort, close to the small Island you'll see intact and diverse reefs. Bigger fishes can easily seen in the water behind the resort. I really enjoy the various sound of birds in the morning and in the afternoon. The services is wonderful, they are all very friendly, nice and diverse foods. Highly recommended

Room Tip: To maximize the time, come by early flight from Sorong on Friday am and get the first ferry at 9, you'll get pick up at around 11am and will reach the resort in 20 minutes. On the way back leave the resort on Monday morning to catch up the first ferry at 9am.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
4  Thank Dina S
Reviewed 4 March 2014

This is my first review on Trip advisor as I have never felt the need to disprove the excellent reviews before. Please don't be tricked like me and my husband were.

My husband and I are living in Central Java at the moment and we have travelled to many places in Indonesia. We really wanted to go to Raja Ampat so we read a lot of reviews on the area and the resorts. We contacted several resorts but the only one that was quick to respond was Doberai Eco Resorts owner Aswad. We decided to stay at Doberai Eco resort after Aswad made it sound so wonderful. When we arrived after a very long day to Waisai we were greeted by the manager who we soon realized spoke very little English (luckily I know a little Bahasa). As we arrived to the resort we were shown the nice Eco rooms made out of palm, local timber and bamboo and then we were shown the bathrooms located about 100 m from our room (500 from the eating area). The bathrooms are very dark, have a lot of mozzies and no shower only a bucket of salty water to wash yourself with. I was okay with the bucket of salty water at first but after four days and being cold after diving you really want a proper shower. Also when you are paying $300+ a night you do expect better luxury than that even if it is an 'Eco Resort' which it is not.

If you think that you are going to an 'Eco resort' when you come here think again! My husband and I are very active and like to adventure so we decided to paddle around the resorts island. As we entered into the second bay right behind the staff accommodation we saw a huge pile of rubbish right on the beach. This was so disappointing and it really made me furious! Aswad the owner of this 'Eco resort' visits the resort once a month but obviously has no care or understanding of what it means to be Eco friendly and protect the precious marine environment of Raja Ampat. In addition, to the rubbish behind the staff accommodation we paddled further and and saw lots of rubbish at the Doberai Eco Resort 2 future building site. It was so sad to be very far away from anything but still surrounded by rubbish and to see people have no care for the environment. Advice from me Aswad would be get the first Eco resort right before you try and make another one, people will see the faults with place and will not return to this resort meaning the money of which is so important to you will not be in abundance.

The food. We were told that all snacks and meals would be provided but that wasn't the case. No snacks were provided only tea and coffee but you are lucky if the staff remember to have hot water available. The staff sleep most of the day and when you ask for anything they make you feel like you are bothering them and that is if they can even understand you. Breakfast consisted of cold packet mi-goreng with cold fried eggs and you get that every morning and trust me you get over it! Then lunch and dinner are nice but there is roughly 7 hours between meals and when you are snorkeling and kayaking all day you need food. On the second day of our stay another Australian couple arrived and instantly had the same complaints as us and were in shock. The food we had received for two people never increased when the other couple arrived and we had to make sure that we each had enough to survive literally as there is no shops or anything else for miles.

Also, if you are looking for an amazing resort for diving and exploring Raja Ampat this is not the place. There are only two kayaks at the resort which makes it very awkward when their other guests who want them when you do.. by the way kayaking is the only way to see the reefs without a $200 price tag from this resort. Also, the traditional fishing consisted of a bug can and plastic bottle with line wrapped around it (im so glad I paid for that, NOT!!!)The staff are from Sulawesi and have no idea on where to take people and you need to be able to speak Bahasa very well if you are to describe what marine life you want to see. I said that I wanted to see turtles and they had no idea what I was talking about. Luckily, anywhere in Raja Ampat has good coral reefs and we did get to see marine life including turtles. If you do want an amazing experience I suggest you go to Kri Resort; even the staff from Doberai admitted that it is the best and has the most amazing dive sites.

There is so much more I could say but I think you can understand from this review that it is not worth going to. It is a homestay at best. Please don't support a place that does care for the environment of Raja Ampat. Also, if you don't believe my review please look at the review from the Canadian man who stayed here he was very accurate!!!!!. The other Australian couple sent a personal email of their complaints to the owner instead of on trip advisor also.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
21  Thank Cluesy
AswadBandie, Owner at Raja Ampat Doberai Eco Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 21 March 2014

Thank you very much if the guest defines Eco Resort differently. We believe on our own definition and it is reflected in the concept and lay out of the facilities of the resort e.g: location of the restaurant and bathrooms.

Our dive guides have been working in Raja Ampat, Waigeo area for years. Hence, we are certain on what we know.

Urai island has its own house reef, containing at least 6 dive beautiful spots, showing varieties of marine species such as wobegong, black tip shark, scorpion fish, turtle, pigmy seahorse, countless macros, and of course schooling fish as well as breathtaking coral reefs.

Reviewed 20 February 2014

I ve been traveling around the world for as far as I can remember. Last few year my destination has been Indonesia, and this last Xmas, I finally made it to Raja Ampat.

When I book online this resort, it look very charming. Once I ve got there, I couldn't believe it :-) It was exactly what I needed, I stayed for 4 nights in the Bungalow n3.

First day... and the following days

What a dream!.. in the early morning the tight is up and the sun shines through the floating bungalow, inviting you to to get out of bed, the stunning view and natural pool is waiting for you to say good morning, full of life!

Breakfast was really good, this place is so intimate that it feels like you ve been living there, and it s actually your house in paradise.

While we were there, there was another couple few bungalows away, but we felt that we had the whole island for ourselves, later on we went for snorkelling right infront. we saw, snakes.. sharks and infinite colours and beautiful creatures.

Lunch time was delicious and then straight for siesta time in our terrace.
Around 3 we went up to the hill, and then later to the beach at the other side of the island, just before I thought can this get any better.. BAAAM!

We stayed till sunset, top!

At diner time, there was a problem with the generator and all the light went down for 5 min.. Best 5 min of darkness ... THE SKY!!! .. no no seriously, you could even see satellites everywhere, falling starts and just incredible open view of the space!

They offer day trips, diving and they have snorkers to rent, cold beer, fresh water etc..

It became a tradition every night after diner, as well as our next days.. we truly enjoyed staying in here. it will always stay in our hearts..

THANK YOU RIKA AND ASWAD!
we will come back soon.

Love

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Juan M
Reviewed 16 February 2014

Stayed in Doberai Eco Resort for 7 days. Scuba dived everyday except the first and last day.
We did not expect much from the resort before we came as the price was very reasonable and that it came across in the internet as a basic resort. But as soon as we arrived at the Waisai harbour, we were greeted by Amir, the resort manager/divemaster and a few other staffs before even we had a chance to exit the ferry! Believe me, its tough job to get in and out of the ferry with a luggage in tow. But they helped us and into their private boat. New boat btw. 30 minutes boat ride and we were there at the resort. Firstly, let me tell you that I am not exaggerating when I say that the cove that lead to the resort had fantastic view. Its like the view from the movie, The Beach, with 5 water huts greeting us. We were sent directly to our rooms. Served with a coconut drink in a cocktail glass.
The rooms were spacious but we spent most of our time on our sea facing verandah most of the time.. Its windy and cooling there.
Diving was fantastic. What more can you say about Raja Ampat? But I do wanna highlight a few strong points about diving with Doberai. Firstly, diving with them is so effortless. You just need to leave your stuffs with them on day one and they'll handle the rest for you. Surfacing from a dive, you can remove your BCD in the water if you want to. Secondly, Theres no limit to bottom time, as long as you dive within SAFE perimeters of No Deco, available air and procedures. Thirdly, they have a great Macro spotter from Manado who spotted so many critters for us. Fourthly, and most importantly, Doberai is within 30 mins of most dive sites! You do not have to be on a live aboard! And... Doberai has superb house reefs all around the island. We spotted, pygmy seahorses, walking shark, Wonderpus, turtles, lots of weird Nudibranchs, lobsters, etc etc..
As for the resort, expect it to be an Eco resort at the highest standard. Eco is the word so you won't be expecting much more than that.
I have to be honest that I was afraid that my choice was wrong in selecting this resort after reading the earlier review by a Canadian named Ken (the only one with One Star rating). But after staying at Doberai for 7 days, NO REGRETS! We laughed at the stupid remarks made by Ken as it was totally meant to slander Doberai (take note that I am a Singaporean and we are generally fussy people!) We waited for high tide to see if what Ken said was true that we had to wade in water to get back to our rooms after meals. WELL.. The calm waves do reach almost the foot of the steps (Only at high tide) with just an inch of water! But a clever person could just time it when the wave subside a few seconds later to go up the step! It's no problemo!! Absurd post by this individual.
Anyways, when we do return to Raja Ampat, we would definitely choose Doberai again for their location, staff hospitality and the excellent reefs surrounding it.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank IIIFairuzIII
Reviewed 16 February 2014

This is a well worth resort situated on a private island name Doberai. Staffs were sincere and welcoming. They tried all their means to accommodate to our requests. I stayed at this resort for a total of 8D7N together with 3 other dive friends. Rooms are not air-conditioned and it's built on stilts over-lying the clear water of Doberai island. And you don't see any fans being installed on the resort. At times, it gets a little warm especially at the dining hall. Generally clean rooms with sun decks for suntanning. Rooms do not have ensuite toilets which is what affected me. You may refer to the pictures I attached. There is no hot shower nor shower spray in the bathroom, expect to be very close to nature which include spiders or geckos visit during your bath. Definitely not for the weak heart! The dive sites however is a total jewel to this trip, I have encounters with wobbegong sharks...Black mantas...lots of macro stuffs like shrimps and crabs. Not forgetting the distance to the dive site from the resort is never exceeding 30mins. We even had a chance to explore new dive site and named one after our group name! Meals provided are authentic indonesian food such as rice, BBQ Fish and basic stir-fried vegetables. Do not place high hope to the meal choices because there is none to choose from. Throughout the entire stay, we only consume mineral water, tea and coffee. There is no other selection of cold drinks on the island. I would suggest bringing in some sports drinks and snacks for your own consumption. Staffs are very helpful and open to suggestions from dive masters Amir and Adeh to the boatmen etc. For example, the resort manager even climbed the coconut trees for coconut drinks when we requested for coconut! This is the extend they will do for their guests. Canoe are readily available for guests to use. I had a wonderful time staying at this resort despite I am not a nature lover.( I hate insects spiders etc). But I do still strongly recommend this resort if you are planning for a dive trip to Raja Ampat. The staffs have taken our feedbacks to improve the food quality and drinks selections.
-SusannaSGP

Room Tip: Not necessary.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends