“Best place ever!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Bantul
Yabbiekayu Homestay Bungalows
Ranked #1 of 12 Bantul B&B and Inns
Valladolid, Spain
“Best place ever!”
Reviewed 7 June 2013

We stayed at Yabbiekayu three days in our honeymoon, and everything is perfect in this place! Our bungalow was beautifully decorated and it was homely and comfortable (and respectful with the environment). The open-air bathroom was sooo nice! To have a bath at night with the sound of the frogs looking at the stars is priceless! Also, the place is surrounded by beautiful rice fields.
The staff is nice and helpful, it feels like home. The breakfast is great, and it's served at the porch of your bungalow.
Tembi is a quiet and typical village, far of the noisy streets of Yogya, but near enough to be there in 20 minutes by car and go shopping or sightseeing.
Near the homestay there is a great Batik gallery, where you can meet Tatang, an amazing artist with a lot of interesting stories and awesome batik pictures that you can't find anywhere in Yogya.
It was perfect to stay at Yabbiekayu, I hope to be back someday.
Thanks to Dave, Babun, Bakti and the whole staff, you're great!

Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
YabbiekayuManager, Manajer Umum at Yabbiekayu Homestay Bungalows, responded to this review, 13 May 2016

Dear Azahra
Thanks so much for your wonderful review
It was a pleasure hosting you.
Its so nice when visitors like you really "get" the experience that we are trying to share with you.
i.e the beauty of living in a small Muslim village on the edge of a rice field in Yogyakarta, with all the relaxation of a small village but all the luxuries of home plus some.
It makse me and my team proud that you enjoyed it so much.
I'm also glad you got to meet our neighbour Tatang, who runs a great little Batik business, this along with the local handicrafts factory, cultural centre, spa, swimming pools, restaurants and water park make the village of Tembi worthy of a visit in its own even if you don't stay with us !
Thanks again, and we look forward to your next visit!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
Linz, Austria
Reviewed 4 May 2013

We stayed at the Yabbiekayu for several days in February and we had a wonderful time. The bungalows are amazing combination of traditional and modern architecture with lots of attention to the detail. Every piece of furniture and material is unique and having its own story. Thanks to his experience in building industry, Dave was able to create a place that is environmentally friendly but where the guest’s comfort is not compromised. The spacious open- air bathrooms could easily compete with any 5* hotel.

Everyone working at Yabbiekayu was extremely helpful and resourceful. They really put their heart in everything they do. As a result you feel more like visiting friends rather than being just another traveller. Breakfasts on the porch overlooking the rice fields while enjoying delicious nasi goreng were just priceless.

The location is very tranquil and away from all the stress, noise and pollution of Yogya but at the same time close enough not to miss any of the region’s must-sees. It is very relaxing to return to Tembi after the whole day of sightseeing and exchange the car honks for nothing but the frog croaks.

We would recommend this place for everyone who is not satisfied with anonymous hotel rooms and for those who like to stay at the places that not only offer all the comfort but also respect and support the local community. The only advice would be not to stay at Yabbiekayu at the beginning of your holidays because once you leave, it will be hard to find another place that can match the hospitality of Dave, Bakti, Tegu, Alex and others and the charm of the Tembi rice fields.

If we ever return to Yogya we will definitely stay at Yabbiekayu again.

Zuzana & David

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
YabbiekayuManager, Manajer at Yabbiekayu Homestay Bungalows, responded to this review, 13 May 2016

David and Suzana

It was so lovely to have you here as guests
Thanks for choosing Yabbiekayu for your holiday
and I was so pleased you appreciated the unique experience that we try so hard to offer to our guests.

I have passed on your comments to the other staff here, who also appreciate your kind words.
I look forward to you both returning and trying out our new bungalows as they come on line

Thanks again!
Puerto Vallarta, Mexico
Reviewed 4 May 2013

I booked these accommodations before my husband and I arrived in Asia. If I had waited until I had experienced the sweltering heat of Malaysia and Indonesia, I would never have booked a place with no A/C. Am I ever glad I didn't know how intense the heat can be because we would have missed out on a highlight of our trip so far.

The bungalows are fabulous - the photos are accurate and they are probably even better than depicted as progress is constantly being made at Yabbiekayu.

The setting is one of the highlights. If you like busy, touristy type restaurants and shops, then Yabbiekayu is not for you. The bungalows are in a real village where people get up at the crack of dawn or before to start working in the rice fields. They plow, they plant, they bring their sheep to feed, they flood the fields, they drain the fields. In our week at Yabbiekayu we saw the whole process of planting rice before our very eyes. It was constantly changing scenery.

As we walked through the village to go eat lunch or dinner, women washing clothes or tending their children greeted us. Grandpa holding his grandson practiced his English with us and proudly showed us the newest generation. Children hollered hello and good-bye to us from the school yard and waved until we were long past. We smiled alot and many smiles were returned. It felt like we were the only tourists in town.

There were a few very nice restaurants nearby where we had delicious Indonesian food at very reasonable prices. One meal complete with soup, main course and a shared dessert was under $7 US. The setting was a picturesque garden, the service attentive and the food authentic. We were able to use the pool at this guesthouse for just $1.80 US each which included a soft drink and towel. The pool was lovely and again overlooked rice fields.

Dave, the owner and brainchild behind Yabbiekayu was thankfully in town for most of our visit. He showed us what he has planned and his passion, enthusiasm and love for Indonesia and the village of Tembi was overwhelmingly apparent. Knowing what he had planned helped us to deal with the occasional construction noise or the lack of some amenities such as a pool and restaurant on site. We felt privileged to see the project in it's infancy and to hear of Dave's vision from himself personally.

Bakti, the office manager arranged a few trips for us. Our first driver didn't speak English which proved to be a bit of an issue as our Indonesian is limited to greetings and thank you. However, when I asked if an English driver was available she found one immediately and Sakir was fabulous. He added alot to our visit as well and we felt like we made a friend during our week.

My two biggest concerns before arriving at Yabbiekayu were: the location and the lack of a/c. The location proved to be an asset, not a detriment. One trip down Marlboro Street, the main drag in Yogyakarta was enough for me. We couldn't wait to get back to the peaceful, relaxed atmosphere of Tembi.

Secondly, the fact that there was no a/c was not an issue. Dave explained how he managed the heat situation when building the bungalows. My husband, a scientist was enthralled by the ingenuity of Dave's design. Honestly, after the first night, I asked for another blanket as one wasn't enough for the two of us. We left the windows open, the fan on and snuggled under the blankets. It was fabulous!

We are spending at least six months traveling through S.E. Asia so there will be many highlights of the trip. However, both my husband and I feel like our stay at Yabbiekayu will be one of the accommodations we talk about long after we return home. I am sure you will feel the same way if you have the privilege and opportunity to stay here.

Room Tip: Bungalow two has the wider bed and also the verandah off the back which overlooks the rice fields...
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Jan J

David and Suzana

It was so lovely to have you here as guests
Thanks for choosing Yabbiekayu for your holiday

Thanks again :)
Reviewed 30 March 2013

I've never written a review on tripadvisor before, but I really want to recommend Yabbiekayu to anyone looking to visit Yogyakarta.

I've been travelling in Indonesia for nearly a month, and Yabbiekayu is the best experience I have had by far, both in terms of the room itself, and the value for money.

The first thing I thought when I saw the bungalow was WOW. I stayed in Bungalow 2 and it was pretty much faultless. The room was spotless, beautiful, has a great view and the four poster bed is soooo comfortable.
If you like nature and tranquility it's ideal, as all you can hear at night are the noises of animals. Although there is another bungalow across the way I was never really aware that they were there.

My favourite thing was the enormous outdoor bath tub, though. Watching the stars as you soak is a real luxury.

What really made this place stand out for me were the staff. They are friendly and speak great English and are there to help whenever you need. I'm a woman travelling alone so being made to feel that welcome is really important to me. With the amazing bungalow and the stellar service I felt like a queen, which is incredible for the price.

They also arranged a local guide for me at a very reasonable price who was my favourite of the many guides I have used in Indonesia. She spoke fantastic English and was very intelligent and knowledgeable. She was also fun and took me to some amazing local food places.

Tembi is a little out of the way, but that's the joy of it. The location is close enough that you can get to Jogja very easily, but far away enough that you can enjoy solitude as well as the city. Don't be out off by the fact they are still building, it didn't affect my stay at all and they have made sure it doesn't get on the way of the peacefulness.

I really hope to come back some day as I would love to see how it looks after all the work is completed. If you are considering a stay here then go for it, you won't be disappointed!

• Stayed March 2013

Wow,
What can I say, such a beautiful review, thanks so much :)

Something that makes me extra proud of your review, aside from that you clearly liked our place and enjoyed your stay with us... is that strangely enough, we never met.
I am always pleased when our guests appreciate the effort we go to, to provide a unique and tailored experience, but I am doubly proud when my staff manage the entire process faultlessly themselves.
Thanks again so much for your kind words
and we look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit, next time maybe to try out bungalow 3 that will be opening soon.

Yours

Dallas, Texas
Reviewed 3 March 2013

I choose this place mainly because of top reviews and nice pictures of the property, so I had high expectation, and it was a delight to find that this place and its wonderful people manage to far exceed my already built in high expectations.

I stayed here three nights and this place is so wonderful and so extraordinary I enjoyed every minute of it. On top of that there are amazing staff who are always there to help you and make your stay a wonderful stay.

My Bungalow (No. 1) was superbly build and located on the side of a endless rice field. The Bungalow is beautifully build in traditional rustic Java style village houses, but then infused with ultra modern facilities and comfort. So perfectly blended and complimenting each other. Their is a front porch and table and chairs to have your Lunch/Dinner/Breakfast while having a nice view of the village, then you can use the building built in walkway to go to the back of Bungalow have have your tea/coffee and relaxation in front of a huge rice field and green hills and far distance. The breakfast was by far the best breakfast I had in Indonesia. You can order Lunch and Dinner to be prepared and be served at your Bungalow at very reasonable prices. The shower are is open concept and it was a delight to use it every day. I think it made me take more shower than normal. The hot water is hot and the water pressure good. During our stay it rained and not a drop of rain any where in our room or surrounding seating are.

If you looking to a romantic place, or like to feel the rustic living of Indonesian without giving up any of your western comfort, you are not going to find a second to this place. But even it you like to still got to city and do city stuff, this place is only 15 minutes ride from city center, so you still fine.

I normally have something negative to say about any place, even the ones I give 5 star, but for this place I can't find anything negative say, since it really was perfect and I immensely enjoyed my stay, which word can not describe and it must only be experienced.

If I ever go back to Yogyakarta, without a doubt this would be my place of stay, if I can find vacancy :).

Room Tip: Bungalow No.1 is far better located and has a walkway around it. So, I would only stay on No. 1.
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple

Wow, what can we say...
Thanks for the fantastic review.
We really do try hard to ensure our guests have a pleasant stay
Its very reassuring that this appears to be working.
To be honest reviews like this are almost intimidating.
We are still new and hope to keep improving.
Again I thankyou for your kind comments
And am so pleased you enjoyed our place
And that the staff, food, facilities were all to your liking.
The perfect guest
We look forward to your next visit
Yours
Constanta, Romania
Reviewed 8 February 2013

Besides the amazingly lovely set-up itself (carefully crafted boutique bungalows right next to the rice paddies, yada yada), this place's value doubles by the people that are usually around.

If you're lucky enough to catch Dave, do your best to take some of his time, he's definitely among the best (if not THE best) people one could ask for travel tips (and stories!) on Yogyakarta & around.

You might find out, as I have, Dave just happens to be an expert in sustainable building, with a focus on bamboo and wood and that explains it a bit :)

• Stayed May 2012, travelled solo

Thanks for the great review !

Yet again it was a pleasure to host such lovely guests
and I'm so glad to see that everything was up to your expectations.
I must say though that it's not really me that makes Yabbiekayu so nice
but rather the magnificent staff, Bakti, Teguh, Ibu Narsih and others.

Hope to see you back here again, perhaps when the third bungalow is finished in a few months :)
Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Reviewed 9 January 2013

Our stay at Yabbiekayu was truly delightful. The staff really made us feel at home - they were so gracious. The various ecologically considerate building techniques that went into designing and building the lovely bungalow that we stayed in were fascinating, and even though we arrived in the middle of a big storm, our lovely place out in the rice fields was warm and dry and we slept wonderfully. The area around Yabbiekayu is filled with lovely smiling people, great walks and the Tembi Cultural Center, a must see just 5 minutes walk through the rice fields. We certainly recommend this jewel of a spot.

Room Tip: All options are fabulous
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Thanks PetraIdep for your generous review
It was a total pleasure to have you here and to share our little village with you.
Tembi really is a magical spot and being tucked away amongst the ricefields offers a special retreat from the hustle and bustle of the city

I love it when guests appreciate the effort we have gone to, to ensure that the bungalows are both ecologically and culturally appropriate, whilst also making them secure, comfortable and relaxing.

Please come again soon and experience the improvements as we expand over this coming year.

Warmest,
Yabbiekayu Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bantul
Dusun Jogja Village Inn
#10 of 202 in Yogyakarta
Adhisthana Hotel Yogyakarta
Adhisthana Hotel Yogyakarta
#2 of 479 in Yogyakarta

Been to Yabbiekayu Homestay Bungalows? Share your experiences!