“Awesome place!”
Review of Aquario Hostel

and 1 more site!
Aquario Hostel
Reviewed 29 December 2013 via mobile

Aquario hostel is a really nice place. The dorms are nice and clean, and the location by the water is beautiful. This place is the place to be if you wanna party. It seems like people from all over the island gathers up in aquario hostel, when dj overdose cranks up the music to all night long parties with beers and caipirinhas!
The staff was also really helpful and the owner Fred even helped us find a place to stay in Rio over the new years when prices are insane and everything was booked.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends

Reviewed 31 October 2013

The location is second to none, waking up in the morning, with a coffee to ease the pain of the night before, swinging in a hammock as the waves lap metres away is paradise. Fred and his team will make you feel like family, get in and have some drinks at the bar and get to know them. We were only meant to stay 2 days, and left 8 days later. When people ask our highlight of our trip to Brazil, we talk of Ilha Grande, and this hostel and its atmosphere really made it. Staying anywhere else on the island wouldnt make the same stories and memories. Thanks again Fred, you legend.

Reviewed 30 October 2013

One of the best hostels I've stayed in on my travels! Super friendly staff who will go out of their way to make sure you have the best time. Clean rooms, amazing location and some cracking party's. Everyone seems to stay longer on Ilha Grande than they meant too and Aquario is easily the best hostel on the island. They hold great BBQ's and then even better party's afterwards....all the local Brazillians and people from other hostels come to Aquario because they all know its the place to be! It is a party hostel tho so if you are a family looking for a perfect nights sleep I would not recommend it but if you are looking for a good mix of partying and chilling in hammocks then I couldn't recommend Aqaurio more. I can't wait to return and enjoy this hostel again, big thanks to Fred, Jessica, Darren, Nina and Lorenzo for making this such an unforgettable time, much love xx

Room Tip: Room 5....hammocks right outside your door!
1  Thank Guy673
Reviewed 27 October 2013

I have just got back from a 2 week trip to Brazil. I spent 4 days in Rio and then travelled to Ilha Grande. I only intended to spend 4 days there but i ended up spending the rest of my trip there. I am shocked to read many of these comments. It is as if many of these people have never been to a remote island or even a travellers hostel. The attitude in the hostel is laid back and relaxed. They emit a feeling of no stress which we thoroughly enjoyed. The staff we friendly and helpful and would do anything to help. Their attitude to security is not traditional but it works. I felt completely safe at Aquario. The location is breath taking and the facilities are great. we stayed in room 5 which had its own decked area and hammocks with views straight out to sea. I will never forget it. Monday and tuesday nights are the BBQ nights and generally the biggest party nights. everyone from all the hostels on Ilha Grande gravitate to Aqua rio to party. Some people are attracted to this hostel as it has great views for a good price but THIS IS A HOSTEL NOT A HOTEL!!!! I would thoroughly recommend Aquario if you are looking for fun, views and a relaxed environment. 5 Stars hostel which made my holiday!!!

Big thanks to all the team at Aqua Rio for being so great!!!

We make a Party

Paul, Guy and Chas

Reviewed 16 October 2013

I wisited Ilha Grande in May 2013, And I stayed 3 nights at Aquario. It was a blast with the funniest bartender ewer Darren, his great cocktails and super parties :) The BBQ was nice, dark nights in candlelight good drinks and food, that is how a great holliday should be. In the hostel next door che Lagarto a local artist had his gallery in the evenings, Im still sad I dint have enough money left to buy his art.Strange woman in the reception but she was nice.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Karkkie
Reviewed 24 September 2013

My stay at Aquario was horrible! First of all, the receptionist didn`t explain anything to me. She gave me the key to my room and that was it. The room was a tiny six bed dorm and although they had just cleaned it, room an bathroom were more than dirty and so were the sheets. So I spent two nights sleeping i my sleeping bag. There are a dozen of other hostels in Vila do Abrao so please do not make the same mistake I made and head for the very first hostel when getting off the boat.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 19 September 2013

This Hostel has all the potential to be an amazing place to stay while on Ilha Grande. Unfortunately the smell of urinals is pretty bad throughout and there was no party or barbeque as promised on Monday and Tuesday nights. This being said it is truly an amazing location, and the breakfast is bearable. You really can´t be too fussy when backpacking.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
#1 of 31 in Vila do Abraao
Hostel Papagaio
Hostel Papagaio
#5 of 31 in Vila do Abraao

Been to Aquario Hostel? Share your experiences!