“Excellent pig out!”

Cuisines: Barbecue
Halifax, Canada
“Excellent pig out!”
Reviewed 19 August 2014

Highly recommend this joint! I am so glad we found this place. We've been back a few times, and it's hit or miss whether they are open or not so I suggest you call ahead to make sure.
The food is beyond good, ribs, chicken and a pulled pork sandwich with slaw on it...it's unreal. And the pulled pork poutine is to die for. Seriously, if I could pick it for my last meal ever, that would be it! Service is great, fast and polite and I can't wait to go back. I'm easily an hour away, and make this trip for supper, no problem!

• Visited August 2014
2 Thank Michelle G

Kissimmee, Florida
“Tasted like it does in the states”
Reviewed 27 June 2014

We were out snooping around the area and came across this little shop which intrigued us. It is not much to look at outside or inside but it smelled wonderful. The lady was lovely who waited on us. We got a variety of things to try and were very pleased with everything. I expected to like the chicken the most but I think the pulled pork was my favorite which I normally do not even care for. If I had to critique anything it would be the slaw, didn't have much flavor but maybe it was an off day/something left out of it. Big portions but more importantly, big flavor at this little place.

• Visited June 2014
1 Thank Hubert B
Pictou, Canada
“Best BBQ Ever”
Reviewed 29 March 2014

Hello , I will keep this short and simple , if you have the chance to eat here do so it is the best BBQ you will ever find in Nova Scotia. The folks there are the best ,the food is excellent , we had rib/chicken combo with a side of fried mac /cheese ---beyond good--RIVER JOHNS best kept secret, the selections are many and sound delicious . We will be regulars . Thank for a great meal

• Visited March 2014
1 Thank schuyler_wright13
Nova Scotia, Canada
“Poutine is yummy.....the real thing!”
Reviewed 21 December 2013

Great meal as always. We tried the poutine and it was amazing. Generous portion , lots of toppings. Well worth the beautiful drive .

• Visited December 2013
2 Thank roakley
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Absolutely delicious!”
Reviewed 30 September 2013

Was driving through River John Sunday afternoon and decided to stop in for a bite. My boyfriend and I split the cheeseburger and pulled pork sandwich. An absolutely fantastic meal! We also got to try the baked beans and the chilli. Delicious.

The food was so good we bought pulled pork and chilli as take out for our lunch the next day.

As I was driving home from work on Monday afternoon, all I could think about was how to find my way out to River John, again, to get more barbecue for supper.

They've done a great job of that little restaurant. I've been suggesting the food to everyone I meet.

• Visited September 2013