“Another wonderful holiday at Round Hill”

Round Hill Hotel & Villas
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Hopewell
Ottawa, Canada
“Another wonderful holiday at Round Hill”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 February 2014

We have just returned from our sixth visit to Round Hill. It is a very special place. All of the staff from the management to the office staff, restaurant staff, bar staff, lifeguards, water sports,housekeepers and concierge staff are first class. Throughout my business career I have been fortunate enough to stay in some of the best hotels in the world and the service at Round Hill is of equal or better quality to the most highly regarded hotels. The managing director's attention to detail is rigorous and he distills this ethos to the rest of the team.
The grounds are beautiful, the rooms and villas are well appointed, in fact some of the villas might be described as spectacular. The ocean views are certainly spectacular !
The food is excellent and improving with every visit. The ambiance at the cocktail bar in the evening is extremely relaxing and everyone is very friendly.
So the service, the accommodations, the setting, the food, the atmosphere are all wonderful but I have left the best for last - our children love Round Hill even more than we do.They are in a safe, caring atmosphere where they spend their days shuttling between the extremely safe beach, the water sports centre and the kids club, which allows us to relax knowing that everyone at Round Hill is keeping an eye out for their safety and happiness.
We are already counting down the weeks to our next visit.

1 Thank FJB0704
Omar R, General Manager at Round Hill Hotel & Villas, responded to this review, 25 March 2014
Dear Valued Past Guest,

Thanks for the wonderful comments on your recent stay with us, which was your 6th visit. We are thrilled to hear that we continue to delight you when you return to stay with us year after year. We all look forward to welcoming you back to Round Hill for a 7th time and many more after.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (401)
Belgrade Serbia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 February 2014

Round Hill is a classy bit of paradise though I doubt whether paradise has such good food. After spending two weeks in this heavenly spot, I have returned to European winter feeling rejuvenated after such a healthy time.
All the meals are really delicious and every day there is freshly caught fish, with vegetables and salads grown on the property.
Every time I go to Round Hill I am greeted with 'Welcome Home' by the ever helpful staff, which is such a lovely greeting and brings me joy each time. I don't expect to get this if and when I should go to paradise!
I suggest you all escape from this grim winter and head on down, where you will be at home, but even better!

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Karageorgevic
Omar R, General Manager at Round Hill Hotel & Villas, responded to this review, 21 March 2014
Dear Princess Elizabeth,

Thanks for your lovely feedback on your recent stay with us. As always we are delighted to have you stay with us as this is indeed 'your home away from home." We are truly the ideal place for natural beauty and relaxation. We all look forward to welcoming you home year after year.
New York City, New York
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 February 2014

Let me begin by saying that we did not stay at Round Hill during our recent trip to Jamaica. We stayed at a local house about 5 minutes away whose owner is a member of Round Hill. Those who rent the house have access to the club as part of their stay.

We found several members of the staff, particularly those responsible for distributing towels and lounge chairs on the beach, to be extremely unfriendly and cold from our first visit to Round Hill. Our warm greetings of “good morning” and our “thank you’s” went completely unanswered but it was obvious that they heard us. They seemed generally unhappy to be there and we felt as though they were punishing us. Their attitude and demeanor only worsened when we told them that we were not in fact staying at Round Hill but instead at a local house. It seemed as if they were lowering their service for us specifically.

Unfortunately, things got worse, not better. We tried to put one of our towels in the sand for our 2 year old to sit on and play with his toys, and one of the men simply yelled from his chair “No towels in the sand!”. He did not get up, come over and speak with us in a hospitable manner. He just yelled from several feet away where they were sitting. My wife later went to find two smaller chairs to put in the water for us to sit and read in. We left them briefly to go swimming, and as soon as we did, one of the staff members walked over and picked up one of the chairs and began walking back to where I had found it. We asked what he was doing and he said something about how we could not have more than one chair, all the while walking away. He did not speak to us directly, he just left. This seemed unbelievably rude, and further ridiculous considering the beach was nearly empty and there was no demand whatsoever for the smaller chairs. It was at this point that my wife went and sought out someone from management to speak with.

We expected the situation at this point to improve, but unfortunately it quickly worsened. Josef, the manager, did not seem remotely interested in addressing her concerns or correcting the attitudes of his staff. Instead, he told my wife that “maybe you should try being nicer” to the staff members. When she said that we were paying thousands of dollars and don’t expect to be treated like (expletive), Josef replied “we don’t use that language at this club”. Throughout our conversation he was completely condescending and dismissive, my wife was positive it was because she is a woman. She was in every way insulted by his sexist treatment.

I am not sure why my wife telling your manager that his staff was rude to us resulted in anything other than an apology and promise that their behavior will be corrected immediately. Instead, she was made to feel that my requests were out of line and ultimately worthless. It is not clear to me how Round Hill can be considered a best-in-class resort given the treatment my family experienced there. We certainly have no reason at this point to recommend it to our friends who are looking for a quality experience at a luxury resort. A retraining of the staff in the basic principles of customer service would go a long way.

Separately - Round Hill seems insanely expensive. A small rum punch at the beach bar is $10, plus $2.80 in tax/service charges. A 28% tax seems exorbitant to me, but we were not staying there and thus did not spend anywhere near as much as the guests who had no choice but to eat/drink there.

Pros - The resort itself is quite beautiful and clean, and the beach itself is gorgeous. The other guests there generally seemed happy so I don't know if our experience was an exception due to our not staying directly at the resort.

9 Thank James A
Dear Valued Guest,

Please accept my sincere apologies for the inconvenience experienced while you were at Round Hill. Rest assured that we have reviewed your comments in its entirety and will make the necessary corrective action. We hope that you will give us another opportunity to make it up to you.
Baltimore, Maryland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 February 2014

Short version: I think Round Hill is head and shoulders above other Caribbean resorts we have visited due to its truly excellent food & service, big variety of water sports easily accessible, beautiful grounds/facilities, and the great spa.

Long version: We have just returned from our 5th annual visit to Round Hill. My husband and I take our adult daughters and son-in-law (ages 28 to 32) for an annual break from the winter. (Really needed it this year!) Everyone in the group loves Round Hill.

The atmosphere is one of relaxed elegance. The landscaping and upkeep of the buildings is excellent. The service in the restaurants and on the beach is very responsive but unobtrusive. My daughters planned a little special celebration (cocktail party) for us, and it was lovely and handled seamlessly. Similarly, the staff in the spa are very welcoming in a genuine way. To give you an idea of what a nice place it is, one of the waiters told me he has been there 32 years because he likes it so much.

One of the downsides of Caribbean vacations can be the food. But not at Round Hill. The chef is excellent, and we thought the food was better than ever this year -- which amazed us since we were so impressed with the food last year. Also, there is excellent choice and variety. And again, we are a critical audience of foodies.

There are plenty of lounge chairs on the beach, many in the shade. And the beach staff does a good job of tending to any needs (towels, drinks, lunch). Several of our group spend the entire time reading in the shade and enjoying the lovely view of the cove.

The others of us make extensive use of the very good water sports offerings. We can snorkel right off the beach because Round Hill has a small reef right there. We sail the Hobie Cat and use the kayaks. And new this year -- stand-up paddle boards. Round Hill completely surrounds a little cove, so the water is nice and flat most mornings -- good for beginner snorkelers and paddle boarders. Also, I really like the staff that does the SCUBA. They are really helpful and reassuring for us beginners. But they also take my daughter on advanced dives. Because all the water sports are right there and because there is no fierce competition to use the equipment, you can relax and not worry (as at many resorts) about being on time for the snorkel excursion or watching like a hawk for your turn with the Hobie Cat. The water sports resources match (actually, exceed) the demand. It's a very relaxing aspect of Round Hill.

Room Tip: We stay in rooms in the Pineapple House, as opposed to the villas, because we want to be as close as...
2 Thank Jennifer W
Omar R, General Manager at Round Hill Hotel & Villas, responded to this review, 20 February 2014
Dear Valued Guest,

Thanks for the glowing comments about your stay. We are delighted to know that you enjoyed your stay with us. We deeply appreciate the reference of being heads and shoulders above other Caribbean Resorts. All of us certainly worker harder to ensure that our guests leave with exceptional memories. We hope that you ill return to Round Hill in the near future.
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 February 2014

This was our 3rd visit to beautiful Round Hill. The grounds arer lovely & our villa (#9 - Room 56) was spectacular and perfectly appointed. Jimmy & the villa staff made us feel at home with their delicious, cooked to order breakfast. We played some tennis on their well maintained courts where we received some very good instruction from the tennis team. Everything is first class - the beach, the choices & preparation of the food at the restaurants. And to top it off - the service is outstanding! Any request is handled quickly and with a smile. Round Hill makes for the perfect getaway and we look forward to returning next year.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Valued Past Guests,

Thanks for the wonderful feedback on your recent stay with us. It was our pleasure having you stay with us for a third visit in beautiful cottage 9. All of our staff is committed to providing you with the most memorable vacation. We all look forward to many more visits in the near future.
philadelphia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 February 2014 via mobile

I just want to take a moment to share with everyone what a wonderful vacation we just returned from at Round Hill. What a beautiful resort. Absolutely stunning!! The staff is world class. They make Round Hill a diamond in the rough! If you are looking for one of the best family vacations of a lifetime, look no further. The private villas are AMAZING! The pictures speak for themselves. Yeah mon - Round Hill!!

Stayed February 2014
2 Thank abb_cas
Dear Valued Guest,

Thanks for sharing your comments on your vacation of a lifetime. We are thrilled to know that you have a wonderful vacation staying in one of our villas. We hope that you will return in teh near future to experience more of paradise.
New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 February 2014

The trip started out bad when we arrived expecting to have Villa 22A, the Villa I requested and I was told I would get.
When we checked in they told us we were getting Villa 13. They cant guarantee a Villa when you book, they can only guarantee the number of rooms and a similar style or caliber of Villa. Honestly, I don't recall any of that in my conversations, it is not on any of my emails, but it also doesn't show my Villa on my confirmation, so lesson learned.
Although the Villa I wanted was closer to the beach and to activities, the Villa we got was wonderful, although a challenging walk up the hill .There are golf carts to take you up and down, but you have to wait for them some times.

OK, lets move on, because everything just kept getting better after we settled in to our home away from home. The rooms are large, bathrooms had double sinks, plenty of room in the indoor living room and outdoor deck. The private pool was a nice touch. The hot tub never got hot....but it was warm by the time we left. You pay big dollars for a Villa, but if you needed a second room for your kids, or went away with other couples...its more palatable.

The staff that comes with the Villas are terrific, they cook great breakfast to order, clean and tidy up all day, and take care of the grounds with impeccable care and respect at all times.

The spa is a bit dated, and the work out room could be bigger, more spacious, and have nicer equipment. But its OK.
They charge for everything, I think for 2000 a day, you shouldn't have to pay 27 dollars to take a yoga class...or pay to row a boat or row a paddle board. seems over the top to me.

My biggest complaint is the food. Not that I had any good food in Jamaica, but they really need to upgrade their food. For what the meals, buffets and room service costs, the food could be way better and more consistent. The difference in the cut of meat from one night to the next was very obvious, but the description didn't say so.

All in all, we had a nice time, the grounds and views and people are first class. For the money, I believe they could use some upgrades to the facilities and improved food.

If you go, request Collin as your driver. We used him for everything, to and from the airport, a day trip to Negril, a trip to the supermarket. He is the best.

Room Tip: Villa 13 is terrific.But its way up the hill.
1 Thank dkrubes
Omar R, General Manager at Round Hill Hotel & Villas, responded to this review, 14 February 2014
Dear Valued Guest,

Thanks for the comments on your recent stay. We are committed to ensuring that your vacation is a memorable one. So I must apologize for the lack of information regarding reserving a specific villa. We are happy to know you you enjoyed your stay. We have noted all your recommendations and will discuss with the team so that we can continue to improve. We hope that you will return to stay with us in the future.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hopewell
Jamaica Inn
Secrets St. James Montego Bay
Secrets St. James Montego Bay
#11 of 61 in Montego Bay
4.5 of 5 bubbles 6,183 reviews

Been to Round Hill Hotel & Villas? Share your experiences!