“Lovely place but nose bleed expensive”

Round Hill Hotel & Villas
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Hopewell
Reviewed 31 March 2014

First the good. The resort is beautifully decorated and despite having a large number of villas does not give you the impression of being overly busy. It occupies a whole bay and is a lovely setting.

Now the problems: the service is patchy. Sometimes very charming and warm, but at others just nowhere near 500 dollars a night. We had to ask repeatedly to get a kettle to prepare milk for our baby, it took us over 24 hours to get this simple request - and then it did not work and we had had to get another.

The real problem is the cost though. An average burger and a bowl of pasta with chilli and a bit of Parmesan with three little bottles of red stripe is over eighty dollars. An ok beach barbecue with a terrible bottle of wine is 250! That is literally Michellin starred prices and the food while not bad is pretty basic. I don't mind paying for quality, but the cost really overshadowed the holiday for me. Real shame felt a bit greedy. Oh and the ground floor rooms are ten feet off the ground. Which is not great when your toddler can easily get through the gaps in the railings.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
5  Thank Badgerdillo
Omar R, General Manager at Round Hill Hotel & Villas, responded to this reviewResponded 1 April 2014

Dear Valued Guest,

Thanks for providing us with feedback on your stay. I must apologize for the slow delivery of the kettle as requested. It should not have taken so long for this request to be honoured.

As it relates to the prices of our food and beverage, we constantly review our prices so that we are offering value for money to our guests.

We thank you for your comments and hope that you will stay with us again in the near future.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,370)

Reviewed 31 March 2014

We got back from Round Hill last night, this morning I made reservations for next year. What a FABULOUS place! We've stayed at a number of other hotels in Montego Bay, and visited still more; Round Hill is truly ideal. The food is superb, staff friendly and efficient, rooms large and bright. I've never bothered to write a review before, but everyone there deserves to be complimented for doing such a good job at making our vacation so perfect.

Room Tip: Use Club Mobay for "fast track" through customs; it's reason enough to choose going t...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Marc M

Dear Valued Guest,

Thanks for the feedback on your recent stay. We are happy to hear that we were able to meet your expectations and as such, have rebooked for next year. All of us look forward to welcoming you back to experience more of what makes Round Hill special.

Reviewed 30 March 2014

Bob Marley is right on with this lyric. However, it has always seemed as if RH had the secret to
s l o w i n g it (time) down... I guess change is inevitable but I'm not quite sure what this means for RH.
I love RH. It is the place I hold all others up to the standard of. It has always been my nirvana. My family and I have visited almost every year for well over the past decade. It felt a bit different this time.
We have always traveled the same week of the year - following a school calendar. It started out in Feb. but, with a change of school for the children, the holiday's have come in March. Same faces (guests) abound, mostly, on each trip - was not the case this time. There are some new shareholders and loads of new guests. Good for RH - business is booming.
Here are some changes that make me question RH's future.
Seeing male guests sit at tea time without a shirt on and women w/o cover-ups. This was NEVER allowed - ever. The male guest I speak of is a shareholder (relatively new) and should know better. I have seen the staff politely remind guests of their policy - I guess they are not permitted to "remind" the shareholders. The women were reminded the second day/time.
The beach was beyond crowded - literally, chaise loungers lined up like cans of sardines. I have never ever seen RH this crowded. Which brings me to my final and biggest cause for concern. The fact that a shareholder was allowed to build a monstrosity of a "cottage" on RH. Two lots were bought & two cottages torn down. RH calls them "cottages" for a reason. Never referring to them as "villas".
While separately these changes may not seem to set off anyones cause for concern, together they make me fear for the bigger picture of RH's future.
Casual elegance and informal formality - it is what has always set RH apart.
One love...

2  Thank people2people
Omar R, General Manager at Round Hill Hotel & Villas, responded to this reviewResponded 11 April 2014

Dear Valued Past Guest,

Bob Marley could not have said it better....Round Hill is timeless. We thank you for your feedback on your recent stay with us. As a loyal past guest of ours, we value your comments and want to reassure you that our standards have not changed in any way. It is always good to see the familiar faces of our past guests who come back year after year. We are happy to know that we keep on meeting your expectations and look forward to many more visits in the future. One Love!!

Reviewed 28 March 2014

I am reluctant to write this as i do not want more people to discover the gem that is Round Hill, but i have just returned from my 7th or 8th stay at Round Hill and am as in love as ever with the place. Round Hill exemplifies class, grace, and tradition, and tends to attract a crowd that understands why you can't wear shorts or tee shirts to the dining room for dinner. This is rare and special in this day and age.
Most importantly, the staff are the loveliest i have ever met in my extensive travels. In addition to the fact that they would bend over backwards to make your stay a delight, they are genuinely fun, friendly, and lovely people (and most have been there for years and years). They truly seem to enjoy their work and their visitors and it sets the tone for an incredible stay.
The rooms in the Pineapple House are so stylish (designed by RH resident Ralph Lauren), immaculate, and comfortable that i weep to return to NYC afterward. Even the free shower products are lovely.
The tennis courts are in fantastic condition with fun teachers; the water sports equipment is in top shape and readily available for use (make sure to book some adventures on the powerboat-- tubing,banana boating, etc.); the infinity pool is spectacular (the sunset looking out from a lounge chair over the pool, over the ocean is breathtaking); and the beach has been expanded with the swim area completely groomed of the seagrass that used to linger in nefarious dark patches near the rafts.
My kids are able to roam the resort freely and all of the staff keeps an eye out for children, whether to joke with them, invite them to an activity like tie-dying, or simply to help them. (This trip i saw one of the landscaping crew literally drop his rake and run to comfort a small unattended child who had stubbed his toe. The landscaper was so sweet I got teary watching.) The food is delicious, abundant, and well priced, and the spa-- though i didn't use it this time-- is swanky and relaxing. Round Hill is my absolute favorite place on earth. Please don't go!!!! :)

1  Thank NYCPickyMom5
Omar R, General Manager at Round Hill Hotel & Villas, responded to this reviewResponded 31 March 2014

Dear Valued Past Guests,

Thanks for your wonderful comments on your recent stay. We are pleased to know that we continue to please you year after year. The staff is very committed to ensuring that all our guests have a great stay and will do whatever it takes to ensure greater guest satisfaction. The best form of advertising is positive word of mouth, so spread the word a little. All of us look forward to welcoming you back for another wonderful vacation.

Reviewed 25 March 2014

I just returned from a long weekend at Jamaica's Round Hill resort. Having been to many high end luxury carribean resorts in Anguilla, St. John and St. Barths, at first glance I found it a bit "Carribean Dilapated" and was a little underwhelmed given the cost. All I can say is I WAS WRONG, by dinner that same evening I was 100% in love with the place and felt that the price was justified by the service, location, decorating and food/drink. Everyone is beyond friendly and super helpful, but if you want to be left alone, they will leave you in peace until you want that next glass of rose and then they will have it there waiting for you along with a smile. Omar the hotel manager is thoughtful and caring, he made sure that everything was to my satisfaction (I was traveling alone, which can sometimes impact your service, that was absolutely not the case here - they treated me wonderfully). My room was beautifully decorated in that "ralph lauren" style of clean elegance. The doors all opened to an amazing view with a balcony right overlooking the ocean, I loved sitting there in the evening just enjoying the quiet - they had fruit and champagne waiting for me so I had something to enjoy in those tranquil moments. The beach, while not huge, was good sized with plenty of chairs in both the sun and shade. I didn't spend time at the pool (that was where the kids mainly played), but it looked quite lovely. I did play tennis with Steven, who in less than an hour was actually able to improve my mediocre ground strokes (next time Steven, we will play everyday and maybe I will learn a proper serve!). My massage with Winesome - Ah, what can I say except "beyond perfect". Not only that, when I mentioned I wanted another massage from her the next day, she came in - ON HER DAY OFF! Wow. Just Wow. Gerald was my guy at the beach, and when they ran short of Minuty, he apologized profusely and promised he'd have more tomorrow (unfortunately I was not there for "tomorrow" but I appreciated the effort.) Yes there were kids (both young and in college) but for the most part they were entertained by staff and the parents were incredibly respectful, trying to ensure their kids were well behaved. The college kids, well what can I say, avoid the bars when they get too drunk - but hey, that's true anywhere in the Carribean at spring break! The gym was decent and they had yoga and weight classes should you so desire (I didn't, but the trainer looked like he knew what he was doing.) There is also an "adults only" tranquilty area which was perfect for the late afternoons (though there was no way to get a drink over there, but by then I was happy just to snooze in the late afternoon breeze.) There is "travel" and then there is "vacation" - this was a vacation for sure and a luxury one at that. And while I still like St. Barths (sorry Omar!), Jamaica is easier to get to for short periods of time (thank you Carribean Airlines) and there is absolutely no doubt in my mind, I will be back at Round Hill.

I also want to add that I have stayed at Half Moon also in Montego Bay - Round Hill was much much more to my liking. Hard to explain the difference except to say I found Round Hill more elegant and the food was much much better. I also considered one of the Iberostar/Secrets "all inclusives" as it was about half the cost of round hill. My thought process (which may very well be different from others, so take it for what it is, my opinion) was that it wasn't worth saving the money (c. $500/night versus c. $800/night) as I'd rather do it "right"and all inclusives are just not really my style. The funny thing is, I actually did the all inclusive Platinum plan at Round Hill (which I recommend), but it never felt like an
"all inclusive". Meaning, generally at those places, no matter how nice (including half moon and equally 5 star options in the Dominican Republic), the food is mediocre and the drinks are watered down. Not true at all at Round Hill. The food was excellent and the wines by the glass were high quality.

What more can I say... go as quickly as possible... but don't steal my spot. Room 110 is mine:)

Room Tip: I loved Pineapple House and my balcony room... but I don't really have experience with any of th...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
4  Thank Jennifer G
Omar R, General Manager at Round Hill Hotel & Villas, responded to this reviewResponded 5 April 2014

Dear Valued Guest,

Thanks for your comments on your recent stay with us. We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us. Round Hill is truly a special place where our employees go above and beyond to ensure that our guests are well taken care of. Jamaica is only a short 3.5 hours flight from New York, so we hope that you will return to experience more of our hospitality. We will share you with St Barts...All of us look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed 23 March 2014

We were invited to spend spring break with our daughter and her family at Round Hill. this was their second visit, our first. They stayed in Cottage # 1 and we stayed in the guest house, 34 A. Both beautiful and cozy. We loved every minute of our stay. Round Hill has an old world charm. Small, intimate setting. Our grandchildren, ages 9, 7, and 5 were able to roam the grounds in a secure and friendly environment. The Kids Club kept them entertained. They were free to come and go as they pleased. The children loved the local artist on site who were patient and kind with them. The grounds, pool, and beach were beautiful and well maintained. Staff friendly and helpful. We can't wait for our next visit to Round Hill. The only suggest I can come up with, and it's a stretch, is during spring break the dinner hour could be moved up to 7 instead of 7:30. Our grandchildren and the many other children their loved dancing to the entertainment but by 8 they all had trouble keeping their eyes opened.
Wonderful memories made. Anxious for our next visit!

1  Thank luckyled
Omar R, General Manager at Round Hill Hotel & Villas, responded to this reviewResponded 25 March 2014

Dear Valued Past Guest,

Thanks for your feedback your recent stay. We are committed to making upgrades to the resort each year. As such, over the last 10 years, we have undergone renovations throughout the property to keep it first class without losing the old world charm. Thanks for your suggestion regarding an earlier dinner during the busy family period. We will definitely explore it in an effort to improve our offerings. All of us look forward to welcoming you back for another family vacation.

Reviewed 22 March 2014

Our first visit was 28 years ago and we took our 3 children up until they were teens. It was always our go to family destination. We returned in March with kids now in college and beyond and felt like it was returning home. The villas are fantastic and the service levels have gotten noticeably better, even great. The food and menus are also world class. This is not an action packed destination with visits to town, but a classic relaxing stay in accommodations that can not be beat. The villa staff's are fabulous and handle cooking, grounds and housekeeping. The bar and dining rooms are very well done. The new spa is beautiful and spectacularly located beyond the main house. The new pool is also very well done. I highly recommend and we have been regulars at Parrot Cay, little Dix and las Ventanas in Cabo... Round Hill is our family favorite!!!

Room Tip: Villas with private pools are all good with ocean views. Pineapple House with single rooms is nicely...

Dear Valued Past Guest,

Thanks for returning to Round Hill. We are happy to know that you have chosen Round Hill as your home away from home as the resort has become a "family favourite." After your first visit 28 years ago, we are happy to hear that you found the service levels and quality of food and amenities much improved. Year after year, we continue to invest heavily in upgrading the physical plant while focusing on retraining our staff so that they continue to deliver high quality service. All of us look forward to welcoming you back for more wonderful family vacations.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Hopewell
Hyatt Zilara Rose Hall
Sandals Royal Caribbean Resort and Private Island
Hyatt Ziva Rose Hall
Hyatt Ziva Rose Hall
#3 of 6 in Rose Hall

Been to Round Hill Hotel & Villas? Share your experiences!