“Total Elegance”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Hopewell
virginia
“Total Elegance”
Reviewed 3 March 2009

We spent the last 4 days of our Jamaican vacation at Round Hill. What a way to wind things up. We stayed in a villa with views in all directions, out into the Caribbean and back toward Montego Bay. We enjoyed a private pool and our housekeeper/ cook spoiled us with delicious made to order breakfasts and an occasional fruit smoothie.

We could have been happy with just the villa but did enjoy all the amenities. Beach is small but adequate, infinity pool very elegant. Even an adults only area away from the activity. We were surprised to have lifeguards at the beach and the pool.

We chose the all-inclusive package and were surprised to find that it did not include wine or liquor in our villa. We ordered a bottle of house wine with a room service lunch and the wine charge was a whopping $60.00. There was also an additional charge for anything from room service. These charges seemed to contradict the "all-inclusive" description.

The staff were very friendly and accommodating and provided golf cart transportation to and from our villa. The resort is on a "hill" as the name implies and the inclines are quite steep, discouraging a lot of walking. Grounds and gardens absolutely gorgeous.

• Stayed February 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank periwinklw

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (423)
NYC
Reviewed 1 February 2009

I was just reminiscing about our time at Round HIll and realized I had never taken the time to post a well deserved review.

My now husband and I stayed at Round Hill in the Pineapple House in July of 2007 and were so thoroughly impressed by the resort that we then booked the resort for our wedding party in November. During that trip we stayed in villa #8 which was perfect as we had a larger private location for all of our friends to gather after dinners down at the hotel restaurant. Our actual wedding took place outside of the property in another fabulous location however we did plan some events at the property. Rachael, the wedding contact at Round Hill was the consummate professional and attentive in helping us to ensure that our guests would have the perfect experience. I cannot say enough about her. Relaxed (at everyone seems to be in Jamaica) and totally organized.

I personally feel that everything about Round Hill makes for the perfect holiday if you are looking for a relaxing, intimate experience. Our preference is to stay in luxury boutique hotels, generally 5 star with an attention to design and customer service, and this place delivers in spades.

The design of the rooms and the villas is impeccable. Aesthetic beauty, comfort, and the presence of the old school glam (pics of jfk and so many others from that era at the resort line the walls of the very chic cocktail lounge) that defines the property is so very unique. The pool is utterly gorgeous and refined. The grounds are impeccablly kept. The beach, while small, has high quality snorkeling, and really delicious drinks and is very relaxing. The spa is high quality in a gorgeous setting, and the walk to the spa past the most gorgeous white rock beach is a special treat. Generally, I would then expct a level of pretention to accompany this, but that is where Round Hill really stands out. The overall feeling of the resort through all of the staff is relaxed, friendly and totally unpretentious. Everyone we met was really friendly and open and seemed truly happy to be there.

Our wedding party loved their rooms and villas and everyone left relaxed and wowed that such a special place exists.

My husband and I are looking forward to another trip back as soon as possible.

• Liked — the design, the people, the grounds, the size and setting of the resort
  • Disliked — leaving
  • Stayed November 2007, travelled as a couple
2 Thank sav11
Morris Plains, NJ
Reviewed 15 December 2008

We returned two days ago from a one week stay in an oceanfront room in the Pineapple House at Round Hill. I have been going to Jamaica since 1965 and in recent years have stayed at all of the deluxe properties in the Montego Bay area.
Round Hill truly brought me back to the "Old Jamaica" of my childhood, with it's intimate "clubby" feel. The property is beautiful, and the staff friendly and courteous. The high points of the week were the Monday night beach barbecue, and the Friday night Jamaican buffet with limbo, fire dancing, etc. We found the dining very good and reasonably priced compared to other places we've stayed in the Caribbean.
A few of the things we did not like -
I had contacted the property several times over the months prior to our stay, and had requested a first floor room with balcony (as opposed to a second floor with only a window). Upon check-in I was told that a balcony room was not available until the next day, even the property was empty. After being very disappointed by this news, my husband handed over a nice bit of money to one of the employees, and guess what? A first floor balcony room was available!
As it was the last week before the holiday season was beginning, the Seaside Terrace, where all meals are served, used the same menu for dinner every night of the week, except for the buffets. We noticed at the bottom of the menu it said "week 2", whatever that meant. No variation became quite boring. We even noticed that on the buffet nights the only desserts they displayed were the exact same that were on the menu the a la carte nights.
Lastly, I tried for the entire week to get decaf for my in-room coffee maker. My husband & I are up by 5:30 a.m. and like to make coffee in the room. Each day I was told it would be brought to the room, but to no avail.One employee told me I would have to wait until 7:30 and order it from room service.
We had a wonderful time and would return to Round Hill, but despite it's reputation, I don't feel that the little problems were addressed at all by the staff. I would give it 4 stars, but not 5.

• Liked — Location & small size of property
  • Disliked — Lots of little problems that were not resolved
  • Stayed December 2008, travelled as a couple
3 Thank TerriRH
warwickshire
Reviewed 2 November 2008

My husband and i stayed at Round Hills for 10 days we had booked a Pineapple room but on arrival had been up graded to a villa suite,after been shown around we decided to stay with our original choice,the villa suite was very dark with no real view and quite along way from the rest of the hotels facilities,you can get a golf trolley to take you around if you wish.The Pineapple rooms are beautful very light and spacious decorated in the lovely Ralf Lauren style the view was amazing ! bathrooms were very spacious with huge baths and walk in showers.
The service was very good from the restaraunt to the pool attendants and turn down service,nothing is too much trouble at Round Hills,everyone was very friendly and more than helpful.
If you are looking for a glitzy,flashy resort then this is not for you there are some areas that are clearly past even faded elegance particularly the upstairs dinning terrace it seriously needs the Ralf Lauren touch ! But if you like nice unobtrusive service,nice food beautiful rooms then try Round hills you wont be dissapointed .

• Liked — spacious beautiful decor and amazing view
  • Disliked — traffic noise
  • Stayed October 2008, travelled as a couple
2 Thank petalWarwickshire
London
Reviewed 13 October 2008

I spend 6 days at the Round Hill in July 2008, and I still find myself drifting off in wonderment at how amazing a holiday it was.

I stayed in the Pineapple House and was on the top floor. The picture window opened up to a breathtakingly beautiful view of the sea and the hills. The room was done in all white and although the flooring is showing its age, it was still beautiful. The bathroom was huge with a massive bath and great towels. The lovely staff came ever even and turned down the bed. It was also great not to have a tv in the bedroom as one could escape from the real world for awhile.

The grounds were lush and well taken care of. The vanishing pool was great, very very clean, with towels on each lounge and it was never crowded. Although I was forced to share the pool with children, thank God, they were very well behaved, and to get away from kids, there is a pool in the adult only part of the hotel.

As noted my favourite part of the grounds was the adults area which is by the Spa, as there were usually no one around so you had a chance to do some reading, and just be quiet...and the walk there is beautiful as you have to walk by a mini forest on a ledge with the sea lapping below.

The food was very good, although overpriced and I did get tired of the plantain chips but as it was free that is not a complaint. Luckily I was on the platinum plan so was spared any surprise in the bill. There is a complimentary afternoon tea in the bar which is very nice with lovely cakes, tea and coffee and classical music in the background.

The staff were wonderful from Menseita, Kingsley, Presley (bar), Jacki (bar), Omar (Manager) and Claudia at the front desk (I hope that is her name, as she was so helpful when the computer in the computer lab was broken).

I was able to do horseback riding in the rain as part of the platinum plan, a half an hour message which was amazing, rafting (the drive up the hill reveals how beatiful Jamaica is).

Although I did not go into Montego Bay, I am not sure I wanted to, not for fear of anything, but Round Hill offered me everything I wanted.

Overall, I had a great time, and it was well worth the money I spent. I look forward to going back and would encourage you to go if you want a holiday that is tranquil, classy and in a location so perfect, it must be what Eden looked like.

Downside is the computer room which has outdated PC which when I was there did not work. But then again maybe that is a good thing.

Everett Morgan

• Liked — Location, Location, Location! Amazing staff, Great weather
  • Disliked — Business facilities and food tended to be mundane
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled with friends
4 Thank viaggiopics
Atlanta, GA
Reviewed 2 September 2008

This was our second trip and we usually book a villa on the hotel property. The staff at Round Hill is amazing and the spa services are to die for. Tea at 4:00p.m. is delightful and fun and they make every attempt to go above and beyond in service. The tennis instructors are the very best and will accommodate your skill level and really help you improve at no time at all. The guys who shuttle you around on the golf carts always have a smile and are quicker than you can believe. This is more like the Ritz-Carlton should strive to be. Round Hill is doing things right. Customer service is number one.

• Liked — The views and service
  • Disliked — Not much beach area
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled with friends
1 Thank BlueCupcake
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed 26 August 2008

A very low profile property that is very well located, not too far from Montego Bay and yet exclusive. We had a two bed room cottage which was fantastic. Having travelled all over the world, what was unusual was the two wonderful ladies that came at the crack of dawn and prepared breakfast for our family at the time given to them the previous nite. Their cleaning was flawless and they were invisible most of the time. The beach is small but enough and Almond Hill next door was picture perfect. I would recommend this property to one and all.

• Liked — the staff
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled with family
1 Thank dubaiite
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hopewell
Jamaica Inn
#11 of 63 in Montego Bay
Hyatt Ziva Rose Hall
Hyatt Ziva Rose Hall
#3 of 6 in Rose Hall

Been to Round Hill Hotel & Villas? Share your experiences!