“Amazing Wedding Week at the Round Hill”

Round Hill Hotel & Villas
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Hopewell
Santa Monica, CA
“Amazing Wedding Week at the Round Hill”
Reviewed 24 July 2009

My wife and I spent a wonderful week at the Round Hill in June and were married there. We could not have asked for a better week. It is very hard to describe the Round Hill as I have never stayed at a comparable resort. It is intimate yet you can find seclusion in your villa or room at the Pineapple House. At times we had the beach entirely to ourselves, or we could take out a kayak around the Bay and be completely to ourselves.

The biggest problem with the Round Hill is that you become spoiled. After a few nights eating and drinking right next to the water, you realize that it cannot get any better. We hosted a BBQ right on the beach, like the resorts hosts every Monday night, complete with bonfire and coconut cutter and immaculate cuisine with the waves lapping at our bare feet. Our ceremony was on the Spa Lawn, a grassy area that looks back at the Round Hill resort across the bay. We did not need much floral help as the scenery was so amazing. We held a cocktail party near the main pool, which rests on a unique cobblestone terrace, just steps above the coral reef below.

The staff that served us during the week and at our wedding events were incredible. More than great service, the staff really seemed to enjoy themselves (granted our parties were a lot of fun). The day after our wedding reception many of the staff approached me to tell me what a great party we had. At that point I knew many of the staff by name and the knew mine and it was a great feeling.

The food at Round Hill is amazing, and dining locations are even more so, but it is expensive. $60 for a buffet dinner. But you can order a la carte, and the bar area has a nice menu, too. We also went into town a couple nights, which was really convenient and the Round Hill arranged a van for us that worked out to $10-15 per person.

We stayed in a villa which was amazing. Dark wood and white ceilings for a romantic old-world feel. We asked to stock the villa with beer and sodas, which I highly recommend. There is no better feeling then waking up to someone (Irene in our case) preparing the breakfast of your choice, complete with fresh fruit and juices. Our villa was slightly up the hill and offered an amazing view of the bay. You can also enjoy the same view from our pool and Jacuzzi.

You do have to appreciate being outside to love the Round Hill. Most living rooms at villas are not enclosed. The restaurant is outside. The bars are outside. Bring your bugs pray if you need protection, but enjoy the rustic old world charm.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank Mattabond

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (413)
Memphis
Reviewed 22 July 2009

Round Hill in Montego Bay is the pinnacle when it comes to old-fashioned luxury and laid-back elegance. Immediately upon arriving to the hotel, we were greeting by Kingsley, who offered us a tour of the pool/patio area and a complimentary rum puch.

I was traveling with my parents and my sister (we are both college-aged) We stayed in the pineapple house, in two adjoining rooms. The rooms were beautifully decorated, clean, airy, so calm and relaxing. The option to have adjoiing rooms was perfect - theirs with a king size bed and ours with two double beds. The view from the windows was spectacular, there was nothing like laying in bed and relaxing to the sounds of the ocean.

We spent most of our time on the beach or at the pool. The water is quite calm -- very swimmable, and clear. Unfortunately there's not a ton of beach space, and you have to get out early to reserve a chair. (OR if you're a regular or tip well, you can get one of the lifeguards - david or steve - to do it for you... this annoyed my father) The spa area is perfect for relaxation (better than the main beach) if you are not traveling with kids. The chairs on the grassy area are almost never occupied and there is no noise (also no actual beach to sit on).

The tennis facilities were great. My mom and I are tennis players so we arranged to hit with Calvin and the rest of the staff every day. They were helpful and fun, and even challeneged me to a few matches (so I could play for free.) They were young and fun and relatively good at tennis ... (particularly Ian).

The history at this place is another of its appeals -- it's classic, old time luxury, as documented in the pictures all over the resort and in the library... there's nothing like being at a place that's been so good for so long and has been able to maintain and improve on an already excellent system.

Any drawbacks / negative points?

1. Montego Bay - it's dangerous. Our driver Gary took us out one night to dinner over at Half Moon. He waited for us until we were done, then offered to show us the city center. He locked the doors to the car and said not to get out. It's a shame that Jamaica and Montego Bay are so dangerous/crime-ridden. It would be nice to be able to explore the area a little more. Being at the resort 24/7 seems a little confining.

2. The food. It's over priced, it's not that good, and the selection isn't great. There's not really much more to say. Also, my father got charged twice for a meal on our dinner bill 3 of the 7 nights we were there. The staff was very helpful and took the extra charges off immediately, but check your bills!

3. The wildlife -- my parents had a bat in their room one night as they tried to go to sleep. It started flapping around the ceiling and making a huge racket... It took the staff a little while to get there to help. We wanted them to just try to get the bat out but they smacked it with a broom and killed it. Also, (understandably because we kept our windows open all day), we had little lizards throughout the room. They didn't do any harm, it was just a little unnerving to find a lizard in my shoes / the water glasses in the mornings. But hey - it's Jamaica, it's paradise!

Our stay at Round Hill was one of the best that I've had at any resort, anywhere. The service, the facilities, the tradition ... it's undeniably it one of a kind. I would wholeheartedly recommend it to anyone with absolutely no reservations.

• Stayed March 2007, travelled with family
3 Thank gotigersgo1
Grand Cayman
Reviewed 13 July 2009

My wife and I stayed here for 5 days in July 2009. We stayed in a king room with balcony in the Pineapple House. The hotel is about a 30 minute drive west of Montego Bay airport. The hotel arranged a pick up. The room was excellent, very clean with a safe, fridge etc. but no television. The photos on the website are accurate. The hotel has a wonderful infinity pool and also has its own private beach. The staff at this resort are very kind and made our stay very enjoyable. The staff were genuine and willing to help you with anything. There are themed dinner nights and the food is generally pretty good - its not cordon bleu but it is tasty and filling. I would recommend you use the taxi drivers at the hotel. We used Perry, Junior and Jarrett - each of whom were excellent. We visited Negril, the Rose Hall Great House and the Rocklands BIrd Sanctuary (or otherwise known as the Bird Lady tour). Having taken a trip to the Ritz in Montego Bay for lunch and then also to Negril - we definitely made the right choice. The hotel itself is quaint and is a boutique hotel whereas other hotels like the Ritz is a spralling mass. We will definitely return to this Hotel. Its a strange mix of old and new, but somehow it works really well and is very relaxing. There is also a complimentary afternoon tea, which is simple but nice and always welcomed. There is a spa center which looked very good, although we never got round to using it. We do not have kids but the staff were very good with the kids they were looking after and we will definitely come back when we have kids. There is also complimentary wifi internet access.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Alex2010
washington, d.c.
Reviewed 13 July 2009

What can I say - Round Hill is a gem. The servcie is really worth singling out, everyone was so friendly and accomodating without ever being insincere or intrusive. They have a great family at Round Hill and we felt lucky to be a part of it! The hotel grounds are stunning, you enter through a gate and never want to leave. I've never been at a hotel/resort where i was completely at peace knowing that I would spend my entire vaction on their grounds. This is the place for complete relaxation. If you want to have an intrepid adventure vacaion, exploring a new something every day, this is not for you. If you want to be surrounded by total luxury with a calm laid back non-pretentious feel, look no further. The food was also surprisingly delicious. I can't stop thihnking about my breakfasts by my villa with fresh fruits, eggs, pancakes...

The pool was beautiful, I could spend all day reading my book by it or floating along the infinity edge staring out at the ocean. This hotel is gorgrous and calm, no casino, no wild parties, just a lovely mellow atmosphere. It is pricey but worth it. How often do you get to go on vacation? Spend some extra cash for a memorable trip and a place you will never want to leave. My husband and I were so melancholoy on our final day heading back to the airport, all we wanted to do was turn around and go back to Round Hill! You will too. It's the perfect place for a wedding, honeymoon, or even a trip with the kids, there were families there having a wonderful time and we were a couple who never felt like we were at Epcot with kids running everywhere. This truly is a hotel for anyone and everyone who needs to unwind and forget about life. It is top notch, first class all the way and I have stayed at Four Seasons resorts etc so I have high standards, Round Hill is right up there with the best of them...

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank juliannac
Atlanta
Reviewed 5 July 2009

We stayed in a 5 bedroom villa for 4 nights with members of our family ranging in age from 56 to 6 years old. The villa itself was absolutely beautiful -- lovely furnishings, comfortable beds and very nice bathrooms. The villa seemed very modern. There was a wide screen tv with satellite access, ample board games, ice machine, several small refrigerators. The bathrooms seemed to have been newly done -- each bedroom had its own bath with deep tub that also had a pull out shower head and a large walk in shower. We had our own pool and jacuzzi. The view from the villa down to the water was gorgeous. Each morning the villa staff prepared made to order breakfast for our family and served it in the villa's dining room.

The one drawback to the villa was that only the bedrooms are air conditioned. All of the living/sitting areas are open air. The mosquitoes were horrible. This was our 4th trip to Jamaica and the only time that we have used an entire bottle of bug spray. Also, we would be sitting around playing games or just chatting and a staff member would walk up unannounced to check in on us. I didn't like that feeling of lack of privacy.

On our first day there we realized that we wished we had sodas and some alcohol and snack foods to keep in the villa as it was a short walk to the main part of the resort. (They do have golf carts to transport you from the beach and restaurant areas of the hotel back to your villa.) Anyway, one of the hotel employees drove us to the Mega Mart, which is like a Jamaican Costco, to buy some supplies. The ride cost $40. I would advise asking your driver to stop there on the way to the resort (it's on the way from the airport) if you think you might want to have things stocked in your villa.

We went to the beach party the first night. It was $60 per person and definitely not worth the money. A trio played music for a short time and there was a limited selection of food.

The beach is small. There are cushioned chairs and towel service. The infinity pool is beautiful. It was always breezier and cooler at the pool than on the beach. The children enjoyed snokeling just off of the beach and looking at the sea life. We also were able to get in deeper water just off of the boat dock and see more sea life.

I had read here before our trip that the food is expensive. I definitely would advise against getting the all inclusive plan. The food portions are ample. Our daughters would often share an item from the children's menu (which was reasonable) because the portions were the same as the adult menu. Some examples of what we ate at lunch -- $16 for a pizza that was large enough for 2 people to share. $25 for jerk chicken. $18 for a hamburger. Dinner was a little more - - entrees were all around $30. We actually got tired of eating in the restaurants and ordered pizza one night from a place called Dynamo's that had placed an ad in the villa. It was actually good and very reasonable. To sum up, the cost for lunch & dinner and drinks for 10 people for 4 days was about $3500.

My husband went scuba diving twice and our daughter took an introductory course in the pool. The dive master was very professional and extremely patient and good with our daughter. Some other members of the family went parasailing and had a good time.

We used the services of the Pineapple Kids club on one day. The women in the family had spa appointments. We were under the impression that the kids club was open all day but they close one hour for lunch. That conflicted with our booked spa appointments but the lady at the kids club was very accomodating.

The spa was wonderful. We had the Bunty's Welcome -- body scrub, massage and facial. The massage was a deep tissue massage and I should have asked for a lighter touch. I felt bruised for several days afterwards. However, the rest of the service was great.

The resort was not crowded and I think there were actually more people there from other resorts (Noble House guests have privileges at Round Hill). There were not really any activities going on.

Although we had a good time with our family, we would not choose Round Hill again. The facilities and service were first rate but not worth the expense in our opinion.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled with family
4 Thank VH2
Darien, Connecticut
Reviewed 21 June 2009

We had a wonderful stay at Round Hill and hope to return soon. The rooms were very nice, exceptional friendly service, beautiful spot.

• Stayed February 2006, travelled with family
Reviewed 8 June 2009

We were there as a part of a destination wedding recently, and while the rooms were nice as well as the views, no other thing about the resort was worth recommending. The service was very lackluster, the food was very average, and the overall attitude was way too laid back. There was absolutely no sense of urgency on anyone's part to do anything ordinary let alone special. Way too much money for way too little.

• Stayed June 2009
5 Thank dinerman1988
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hopewell
Jamaica Inn
#11 of 63 in Montego Bay
Hyatt Ziva Rose Hall
Hyatt Ziva Rose Hall
#3 of 6 in Rose Hall

Been to Round Hill Hotel & Villas? Share your experiences!