“grounds...spectactular; service...mediocre”

Round Hill Hotel & Villas
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Hopewell
Reviewed 11 July 2010

I traveled to Round Hill for a friend's wedding. I much looked forward to this visit because I had never been to Jamaica and had read such great things about Round Hill. The booking of my reservation with Keisha was a breeze, which was excellent! Everything from her prompt responses to even booking a last minute appointment for me at the Spa! She definitely "set the bar" for my expectations of Round Hill. Service, in general, from there was sub par. I had expectations of relaxing on the beach, at the pool, delivery of frosty beverages...however, my time was spent searching the grounds for dry towels and frosty beverages! Showers occur daily, around the same time (noonish-3; 4:30-6), so I would think the resort would have been better prepared for this. I must admit that, at checkout, I was somewhat thankful the service wasn't better because my bill would have been about $300 more.
While the rooms in the Pineapple house were pleasant, bathing was no so much. The water temperature barely got warm and did not stay warm. I did appreciate the georgous grounds and views, gracious housekeeping and the kitchen's delicious gazpacho!
Is Round Hill on my list to revisit anytime soon? Nah. But, then again, neither is Jamaica.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with friends
4  Thank sig78

Reviewed 5 July 2010

I wanted to love Round Hill so much that maybe my expectations were too high. Maybe it was the off season, I don't know, but for the price I was let down. The lunch menu never changed, the decking of the restaurant needed a pressure wash so bad it was aweful. The bartenders were rude and always seemed annoyed to be asked for a drink...seriously? Our room was above the employee lounge and the pool bathroom so it was noisy and smelled very bad all of the time. The pool bar was only open the first day we were there because a wedding was going on. The rest of our 8 day stay we had to walk really far to fetch a cocktail or wait a ridiculously long time for the pool server. Also, we were treated like second-class guests any time someone more important was around. During the wedding, we were basically pushed into a corner to dine and given pretty bad service. Another night- out last at Round Hill- there was a table of VIP's next to us that was being waited on hand and foot while we waited, and waited, and waited for not only our food/ drinks but for our server to pay any attention to us whatsoever. The long waits for service were not uncommon but it was noticably longer when anyone of any importance was around. Finally, the kids club is a joke. I felt terrible leaving my son there. It is a tiny room without air conditioning that feels like a child care center in a slum. The women who worked there were very nice but it felt like I was punishing my son taking him there and really took the fun out of any mommy-daddy alone time.

However, we toured the villas and realized that this is where we should have stayed. They were fantastic homes on a hillside over looking the bay. We talked about getting together couples and going back to rent a large villa (we toured a 4 bedroom that is frequented by Paul McCartney that was fabulous) but after our experience in the Pineapple House I am not sure I would go back. I feel like we could spend less money and have a better time. Staying off season in the hotel portiono of the resort should not have hampered the quality of our experience as it did. We saw cut backs everywhere that really made our trip bummer.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled with family
5  Thank carlyirene
Reviewed 2 July 2010

We live in NYC and have been trying to find somewhere to take a holiday with 2 young children (3 and 1.5). Our criteria is basically a short flight, a sunny beachside location and something that is not overly commercial. Basically the type of place that you used to go to for "romantic getaway" but that has some kid friendly facilities. Round HIll was perfect. We stayed in Villa 1. Each of the villas are owned independently so the decorating style and amenities of each varies greatly. Villa 1 had a wonderful established garden with a lovely pool. The interior decorating was nice, but a little tired. ESpecially the kitchen. Not my style but still very comfortable. It was really close to the main part of the hotel so we were close to things for the kids. Although they have little golf carts to pick you up wherever you are and our kids loved riding them (even though we were close enough not to need them). Highlights for mums would be the ladies who come to the villa and cook breakfast for you (and clean up after the kids). They also have a kids club and fabulous nannies. We had Debbie and I couldn't say enough about how wonderful she was. There was no training required at all. She immediately understood our routine and just got on with it. We tended to leave the kids in the morning, go to the gym and do a workout, relax in the adults only area of the resort and then return to spend the afternoon with the kids. Clearly its not the cheapest place on the planet but it was definitely worth the spend. We returned relaxed.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled with family
4  Thank angelainnewyork
Reviewed 7 June 2010

We were here for 3 nights, after spending the first 3 nights of our vacation in Ocho Rios. I had been hearing about Round Hill for years, and decided to give it a try since we had an early flight out, and we wanted to be closer to the airport the last night. We stayed in the main building, and the rooms were large, clean, and attractive. The landscaping is lovely, and the infinity pool is really first class, as it overlooks the beach and water from 2 sides. My only complaint is the beach and ocean swimming. The access to the water is limited in scope, since there are a lot of rocks on the bottom, and also quite a bit of algae growing in the water. I went in once, and after that confined myself to the pool.
The breakfast is very good. Most of our meals were buffet style, as it seems to be the best bang for the buck here. I thought the food was rather expensive. The service is good, but not as good as at the Jamaica Inn. It didn't help that it poured for a day and a half, and we had to sit in our room with the shutters closed in order to use the air conditioning, since there is no glass on the windows. Since there is no TV, there would be little to do if one didn't have books to read or games to play. The hotel is quite a distance from the town. Tryall and its golf course are nearby. I think that this would be a good place to come with friends who play golf and tennis, with whom to share the rooms in one of the cottages. (Some are quite a hike up the hill). There were about 150 wedding clients there when we were. I would recommend Round Hill, but I reserve my 5 ratings for the places that are perfect. Because there are lots of places in Jamaica with better beaches and better snorkeling, and even better service, I can only give Round Hill a 4.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank MarylandGypsy
Reviewed 7 June 2010

I was the lucky fellow that escorted my wife (Lisa) and one of her dear friends (Marguerite) to the Northshore of Jamaica the last week of May to celebrate their birthdays. We stayed at a private home that Linda Smith represents. That property is a member of Round Hill's beach club, affording guests the use of Round Hill's facilities. In the past we have stayed several times at the cottages at Round Hill and several times at properties that Ms. Smith represents. We endorse both arrangements. As before everything was "A-One" at Round Hill. Lisa enjoyed tennis in the mornings. Both of the ladies received top-notch services at the Spa. As always, the grounds were simply magnificent. Special kudos to David (the chief gardener). The three of us savored our time with Stewart at the beach bar before and after swims in the lovely waters at the cove at Round Hill. We look forward to returning soon. As a final note, please let me relay that the recent disruptions at Kingston have not affected at all the usual course of events on the Northshore of Jamaica (including Round Hill and the nearby areas). It truly is a shame that news outlets have focused on the actions of a few 150 miles from Round Hill and unfairly and incorrectly tarished the public's perception of the Northshore, the Caribbean Rivera. Without reservation, I state that travelers may enjoy Round Hill and the surrounding areas with no greater concerns than before the last couple of weeks of May. Best wishes and hope to see you there.

Stayed: May 2010, travelled as a couple
3  Thank ackee
Reviewed 4 June 2010

This is my second trip to Round Hill, and each time i've had an amazing stay. The staff is accommodating, the grounds are beautiful, and the Spa is great!

During my last trip i discovered that Monday nights is beach night where diner is served on the beach with a steal drum band, dinner by candle light, and a full menu of grilled meats, veggies and sides that put a smile on everyone's face in my group...even the vegetarians.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled with friends
Reviewed 2 June 2010

Idyllic and encapsulated in its own nook of Jamaica, Round Hill is an oasis. We just spent the most lovely weekend (ironically right when the news reports would have you think it was unsafe to go). We couldnt have asked for a more perfect weekend. The cottages are spacious, clean and inviting, the water was pristine, the water sports plentiful and the food and company - perfect. I cant think of anywhere in the world I would have rather been.
Whats more is that you can go with friends AND children. Round Hill wonderfully accomodates both scenarios. Its not the typical type of trip where you have to decide between the two. Thats worth everything to us

I cant wait to go back!

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hopewell
Jamaica Inn
#2 of 64 in Montego Bay
Secrets St. James Montego Bay
Secrets St. James Montego Bay
#11 of 64 in Montego Bay

Been to Round Hill Hotel & Villas? Share your experiences!