“Ehh.... is exactly right, should have went with my gut and not stayed here”

Round Hill Hotel & Villas
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Hopewell
New York City, New York
“Ehh.... is exactly right, should have went with my gut and not stayed here”
Reviewed 2 August 2010

Been to Jamaica many times, all great experiences. This one, sad to say was nothing to brag about. We did have a villa, it was pretty, 4bedrooms, a pool, 2 livingrooms, dining room, 4.5 bathrooms and a kitchen. Pool was dirty, bathrooms were outdated and had some animals scratching on the cieling,they fought alot, hopefully not rats but what else could they have been? Alot of water bugs (roaches) and huge ants and alot of mosquitos (bring alot of bug spray). Kitchen was okay alot of ants and flies. Rooms were nice, tv was awesome, great cable channels. A nice walk to the beach, maybe ten min. You can ask for a cart to come and get you and your party but just walk, it will be the most fun you have at this place. Resort, main pool was pretty but very small. Beach? what beach? Felt like I was swimming in a lake. Very small, not beautiful clear blue like the carribbean should be. And alot of plant life, seaweed etc. which makes it hard to swim cause beach is small and kinda shallow. Hard to find cocktails after 5pm, you gotta wait til dinner which is 730. Beach bars open 10am til 5pm. Very quiet, no tropical music playing. Only one restaurant, ala carte menu never changes, neither does lunch menu, both overpriced and very small portions. Food was okay, lunch meals were more enjoyable than dinner. Buffets, very expensive. We tried to eat out everynight for variety and decent price but taxis are very expensive, total ripoff. No night time activities, shows etc. Plan excursions in advance so you dont get rapped by taxi drivers, have shuttles get you. In closing, staff was friendly but couldnt wait to go home. This might have a been a great place in its hay day but really needs to move with the times. Not worth the money at all. Spending 10grand for 6ppl for only 4 days is ridiculous.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with family
4 Thank nepthejew

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (410)
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed 30 July 2010

From Josef's great e-mail welcoming us on to our rum punch waiting for u, Round Hill was just the retreat we needed after working and being at an all-inclusive resort. We loved the massage and snorkeling is not to be missed-- the reef and wall circle the area and we were able to spot a barracuda, squirrelfish, stoplight parrotfishes, healthy coral, and loads more. Breakfast by the ocean was divine as Ricardo regaled us in stories of the villa's past. The room itself was classic and the tub and shower are amazing. Opening up our huge windows to an amazing view and lighting a candle was the perfect end to the day-- thanks Josef and Round Hill! We'll definitely be back.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank wandersmuch
Jacksonville, Florida
Reviewed 23 July 2010

My wife and I honeymooned at Round Hill and it was exactly what we needed. We both work all the time (we're Marketing Directors), and our personalities are conducive to a pace where we're always doing something. Round Hill is forced relaxation at it's finest! Round Hill is off the beaten path, and is nothing like the typical all-inclusive properties. There's no night clubs, or cheesy restaurants. We were in bed most nights by 10 PM! We got a lot of reading and rest in. If you're looking for peace and quiet in a timeless luxurious setting, then this is your place! With that said, if you're bored easily, then you may tire quickly of the relaxing atmosphere and lack of nightly entertainment. They offer complimentary shuttles into town for shipping, but unless you're okay with dropping at least $50 on a taxi ride, you're confined to the one restaurant at Round Hill (which is delicious).
The general manager, Omar, was wonderful. He knew it was our honeymoon, so he upgraded us to a private villa and had champagne sent to the room. He understands the need to entertain wedding parties during the summer, but was very sensitive to the fact that we were paying guests as well. That's a hard balance to achieve, and we felt that he did that. Staying at Round Hill, you feel like you're stuck in a lost time where everything is modern and beautiful. Ralph Lauren himself designed the decor. Everything is painted white and feels timeless. After all, JFK and Jackie honeymooned here!
I do agree with some post on here - some of the staff definitely pay more attention to the guests who tip more than the 25% included tip, but that's human nature. I don't blame them.
The highlights of Round Hill are:
Daily Tea Time - don't miss it! I ate way too many Rum Balls.
Saturday and Monday night dinners - don't miss eating on the beach!
The views
The decor
The pool
The mid-week manager's reception

The disapointments were:
The price of the all-inclusive option - the food is considerably expensive
The lack of accessibility to other restaurants and activities
The long walk up to our villa (although we needed the exercise).

We did get a way from the property for one day and did the Chukka zipline tour and the tubing down the Great River in the afternoon. We highly recommend it - but make sure you cover yourself in mosquito repellent!

Feel free to email me if you have additional questions. We'll definitely be back!

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank TarheelTraveler1979
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed 11 July 2010

I traveled to Round Hill for a friend's wedding. I much looked forward to this visit because I had never been to Jamaica and had read such great things about Round Hill. The booking of my reservation with Keisha was a breeze, which was excellent! Everything from her prompt responses to even booking a last minute appointment for me at the Spa! She definitely "set the bar" for my expectations of Round Hill. Service, in general, from there was sub par. I had expectations of relaxing on the beach, at the pool, delivery of frosty beverages...however, my time was spent searching the grounds for dry towels and frosty beverages! Showers occur daily, around the same time (noonish-3; 4:30-6), so I would think the resort would have been better prepared for this. I must admit that, at checkout, I was somewhat thankful the service wasn't better because my bill would have been about $300 more.
While the rooms in the Pineapple house were pleasant, bathing was no so much. The water temperature barely got warm and did not stay warm. I did appreciate the georgous grounds and views, gracious housekeeping and the kitchen's delicious gazpacho!
Is Round Hill on my list to revisit anytime soon? Nah. But, then again, neither is Jamaica.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with friends
4 Thank sig78
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 5 July 2010

I wanted to love Round Hill so much that maybe my expectations were too high. Maybe it was the off season, I don't know, but for the price I was let down. The lunch menu never changed, the decking of the restaurant needed a pressure wash so bad it was aweful. The bartenders were rude and always seemed annoyed to be asked for a drink...seriously? Our room was above the employee lounge and the pool bathroom so it was noisy and smelled very bad all of the time. The pool bar was only open the first day we were there because a wedding was going on. The rest of our 8 day stay we had to walk really far to fetch a cocktail or wait a ridiculously long time for the pool server. Also, we were treated like second-class guests any time someone more important was around. During the wedding, we were basically pushed into a corner to dine and given pretty bad service. Another night- out last at Round Hill- there was a table of VIP's next to us that was being waited on hand and foot while we waited, and waited, and waited for not only our food/ drinks but for our server to pay any attention to us whatsoever. The long waits for service were not uncommon but it was noticably longer when anyone of any importance was around. Finally, the kids club is a joke. I felt terrible leaving my son there. It is a tiny room without air conditioning that feels like a child care center in a slum. The women who worked there were very nice but it felt like I was punishing my son taking him there and really took the fun out of any mommy-daddy alone time.

However, we toured the villas and realized that this is where we should have stayed. They were fantastic homes on a hillside over looking the bay. We talked about getting together couples and going back to rent a large villa (we toured a 4 bedroom that is frequented by Paul McCartney that was fabulous) but after our experience in the Pineapple House I am not sure I would go back. I feel like we could spend less money and have a better time. Staying off season in the hotel portiono of the resort should not have hampered the quality of our experience as it did. We saw cut backs everywhere that really made our trip bummer.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled with family
5 Thank carlyirene
nyc
Reviewed 2 July 2010

We live in NYC and have been trying to find somewhere to take a holiday with 2 young children (3 and 1.5). Our criteria is basically a short flight, a sunny beachside location and something that is not overly commercial. Basically the type of place that you used to go to for "romantic getaway" but that has some kid friendly facilities. Round HIll was perfect. We stayed in Villa 1. Each of the villas are owned independently so the decorating style and amenities of each varies greatly. Villa 1 had a wonderful established garden with a lovely pool. The interior decorating was nice, but a little tired. ESpecially the kitchen. Not my style but still very comfortable. It was really close to the main part of the hotel so we were close to things for the kids. Although they have little golf carts to pick you up wherever you are and our kids loved riding them (even though we were close enough not to need them). Highlights for mums would be the ladies who come to the villa and cook breakfast for you (and clean up after the kids). They also have a kids club and fabulous nannies. We had Debbie and I couldn't say enough about how wonderful she was. There was no training required at all. She immediately understood our routine and just got on with it. We tended to leave the kids in the morning, go to the gym and do a workout, relax in the adults only area of the resort and then return to spend the afternoon with the kids. Clearly its not the cheapest place on the planet but it was definitely worth the spend. We returned relaxed.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled with family
4 Thank angelainnewyork
Ocean City, Maryland
Reviewed 7 June 2010

We were here for 3 nights, after spending the first 3 nights of our vacation in Ocho Rios. I had been hearing about Round Hill for years, and decided to give it a try since we had an early flight out, and we wanted to be closer to the airport the last night. We stayed in the main building, and the rooms were large, clean, and attractive. The landscaping is lovely, and the infinity pool is really first class, as it overlooks the beach and water from 2 sides. My only complaint is the beach and ocean swimming. The access to the water is limited in scope, since there are a lot of rocks on the bottom, and also quite a bit of algae growing in the water. I went in once, and after that confined myself to the pool.
The breakfast is very good. Most of our meals were buffet style, as it seems to be the best bang for the buck here. I thought the food was rather expensive. The service is good, but not as good as at the Jamaica Inn. It didn't help that it poured for a day and a half, and we had to sit in our room with the shutters closed in order to use the air conditioning, since there is no glass on the windows. Since there is no TV, there would be little to do if one didn't have books to read or games to play. The hotel is quite a distance from the town. Tryall and its golf course are nearby. I think that this would be a good place to come with friends who play golf and tennis, with whom to share the rooms in one of the cottages. (Some are quite a hike up the hill). There were about 150 wedding clients there when we were. I would recommend Round Hill, but I reserve my 5 ratings for the places that are perfect. Because there are lots of places in Jamaica with better beaches and better snorkeling, and even better service, I can only give Round Hill a 4.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank MarylandGypsy
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hopewell
Jamaica Inn
Sandals Royal Caribbean Resort and Private Island
Secrets St. James Montego Bay
Secrets St. James Montego Bay
#11 of 63 in Montego Bay

Been to Round Hill Hotel & Villas? Share your experiences!