Fairmont Orchid, Hawaii
If you like this hotel, you might also be interested in
US$751
US$260
Orbitz.com
US$419
US$390
Hilton Waikoloa Village(Waikoloa)(Great Value!)
US$394
US$348
US$743
US$330
US$759
TripAdvisor
4,451 results
All reviewsgold floornorth towerluana loungebrown's delihale kaispa without wallspresident's clubbrown's beach housefairmont orchidthe big islandsea turtlesfishsushi restaurantgolf courseour honeymoongarden viewpaddle boards
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 11 August 2014

Overall had a great time. Excellent location for a smaller meeting. Staff were very friendly, courteous and helpful. The hotel and grounds were immaculate. very good snorkeling in their lagoon. Good food options although a little pricey.

Reviewed 10 August 2014

Just returned today from Hawaii and the Fairmont Orchid and as I am very brand loyal to both Fairmont and Four Seasons I feel I can be very objective about my stay with my son. My stay started out with a couple of hiccups but Suki, the Front Desk Manager fixed everything to my satisfaction both rapidly and before I even arrived. She's really on the ball and gives the appearance of keeping her eyes on everything and keeping everything under her control running smoothly, kudos to her. I was also there for the hurricane and the hotel was fully prepared, hours before the storm was supposed to hit. The storm ended up being a big nothing there but they have left the sandbags up in preparation for Julio (as of Saturday night). The grounds are lush, tropical and filled with waterfalls and koi ponds which is in stark comparison to the desert it exists in. We had a room rate that included the breakfast buffet which was overwhelming in its choices. We also had dinner at Browns which was lovely and I'll give it and some places out in town separate reviews. As far as the little cove goes, I only used it once and find it to be a great place for younger children but as I brought my own snorkel gear i went to Cook's Monument and had a blast, as it is like swimming in an aquarium. Overall I had a wonderful time and yes, I will return again, but remember Hawaii is not cheap, you can cut a few corners by going to the little store in the resort for snacks and drinks which I did but if you are on a strict budget this is not the place to stay.Even though it needs some updating though out it is a lovely property that caters to your every whim and desire. Mahalo for a lovely stay.

Room Tip: This is not a good room tip but always rent a car at the Fairmont, it is a much better deal than at the airport.
2  Thank rts96
Reviewed 9 August 2014

My family (myself, wife and 9-year-old daughter) just got back from Hawaii. We got out after Iselle. Let me first say, the staff was first-rate preparing for the hurricane and making it comfortable for people. In the end, it was a big wind storm at the hotel and not much rain. They were well prepared and tried to make the best of it, I will get to all that.

First, the hotel is a very nice hotel in a good location. It's about 30 minutes north of the airport and it is very warm and dry there in the middle of the lava fields. My family loved the beach. It's a little cove protected by rocks. The water is very calm. The snorkeling is pretty good and if you want to see sea turtles, you will see them. They are right there on the bottom feeding and come up for air. They only ask you respect them and stay clear. They also come up on a blocked off part of the beach at night. If you are there for a week, you may want to consider getting an activity pass for $65. If you just want to snorkel, join the president's club on arrival. You get an hour of free gear each day for each person. If you do get the pass, the paddle boards go early and hard to get.

Also know the restaurants charge Hawaii prices. Nothing is cheap. I knew this going in having been to Hawaii before. There is a grocery store 1 mile away near the entrance to the area. You can always get a few things there such as breakfast and snacks if you want to watch your dollars. Breakfast for 3 was $60 but the morning buffet was worth it to us. Very good with fresh fruit, breads, hot foods as well. We enjoyed the breakfast which is at the same restaurant the Japanese restaurant is in the evening. We had dinner the first night at the Japanese restaurant, again I guess being from New York City in our lives, we are used to expensive dinners. Dinner was very good and I did review it separately and to us was worth it.

We had a partial ocean view room on the second floor. I think most of the rooms would be nice. We looked at the golf course and had a good view of Mauna Loa. The room was a good size as well. The bathroom was very good, dual sinks, rain shower as well as a tub shower. In other reviews they talk about the beds. I do think the beds need a little updated. Our bed was comfortable but I've had better in hotels of this class. Some of the carpets do look a little old and worn, but me that was not that big of deal at all The grounds are very nicely kept.

My wife and I both had massages in the spa without walls. Had our massages by the waterfalls. I think it was perfect. I hate going to massage places and they put on the sounds of water or other fake sounds or weird music. The actual sound of a waterfall was soothing. Masseur did a very good job and my wife felt the same about hers.

One other issue I have with the resort is the cats. There is a feral cat population. Though I didn't see too many, there were a few beggars. Now I am a cat lover, and have a cat. What I don't want is cats hanging around while I'm on vacation. I think the hotel should humanely trap the cats and have them spayed/neutered. In a short time, they would have a better control over the feral cat population.

I will say the staff was really good. We had good service everywhere. Even during the hurricane, they set up movies for kids and a buffet for dinner. They worked hard to make things comfortable. The buffet was so-so but they did their best under the circumstances. They tried very hard. The valet service was quick. Everything about the service was good.

Browns on the Beach is a great place for dinner to watch the sunset while you eat. Since the hotel's beach faces west, you have beautiful sunsets every day.

I would definitely stay at this hotel again.

Room Tip: I think most rooms are good
5  Thank Hobbesey
TheFairmontOrchid, Guest Relations Manager at Fairmont Orchid, Hawaii, responded to this reviewResponded 18 August 2014

Dear Hobbesey, Thank you very much for your many wonderful comments. We are delighted to know that the majority of your stay was very positive and that you would definitely stay with us again. We do support trap/neuter/release as the best method to control the feral cat population and volunteers here at the hotel who provide food, water and arrange for trapping. Mahalo for staying with us, we look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed 9 August 2014

Probably the best 5 star value on Hawaii. Extraordinary, personal service by a first-rate staff. Comprehensive facilities for fun and relaxation. Marvelous golf courses. Rate the restaurants 4+. Only drawback is that the hotel decor could do with a slight refreshment, but this was a minor issue. Join the Fairmont Presidents's Club before you go, for the benefits at this property are great. We plan to go back soon.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Steven L

Aloha Steven L, we are very grateful for your compliments and look forward to your next visit!

Reviewed 9 August 2014

We (family of 6 with young adults) stayed for 9 days, it is a beautiful and relaxing resort but everything is VERY expensive. The resort is not close to anything so if you want to experience the island you must rent a car as everything is at least 45 minutes or more away. The hotel rooms that are sold as "ocean view" from the lanai are just that. The only way you see the ocean is if you go out on your lanai and look to the left or right depending on which side of the resort you stay on . Don't waste your money as you can not hear the ocean let alone see it from your room.

Restaurants: poor quality/selection; we left hungry each time and they are all very expensive. The buffet was the only good meal both in quality and quantity, but expensive.

Recreation Beach Shack: They rent their recreation toys, which are limited in quantity, to non hotel guests too who come and hang out at the resort. This I feel is unacceptable - these items should be for hotel guests only. Especially for those hotel guests who choose to buy the fun in the sun card which allows them to use these toys (paddle board, kayak, snorkel gear, boogie board) unlimited times during their stay. But they actually can only use one item at a time for one hour and then have to turn it back in. No one is guaranteed the item they want will be available when they request it as supplies are limited; sometimes you need to wait for a particular item.

The lagoon is very small, we did not see any turtles in the lagoon and very few fish. We never had trouble finding a lounge chair on the beach but it was difficult finding one by the pool. I feel no one should be allowed to "save" lounge chairs by placing a towel on them, thinking it is ok to come back an hour or more later and use 'their" lounge chair as happened throughout our stay. It should be a common rule that lounge chairs are not to be saved.

We spent a lot of our time away from the resort, partaking in the activities, beaches, and restaurants around the island. The valet staff gave us beach towels to use each time we left the hotel - very thoughtful.

In our case staying at the Fairmont was really a waste of money, next time we visit the big island we will stay at a condo or house as there are nice ones to choose from. If all you want to do is relax at a beautiful well maintained resort your entire stay and money is no object then The Fairmont Orchid is an acceptable choice.

5  Thank misttrail