“Another Gem in the Fairmont Chain”

Fairmont Orchid, Hawaii
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Puako
GreenLeadersSilver level
Oakville, Canada
“Another Gem in the Fairmont Chain”
Reviewed 21 August 2014

The staff are exceptional, the beach is very nice not large but compliments a beautiful pool and hot tub. Food in the dining rooms was decent the breakfast buffet was nice I preferred to order from the menu as I was totally relaxing while at this hotel. Lobby was nice valet was prompt and efficient, wifi worked pretty much over most of the resort. For this stay it was a double fairmont room, reasonable size for 2 to 3 people I think it would be a little tight for 4. Beds and linen were top notch, room was clean, as a platinum member turn down was on time, but again where is my little chocolate mint. Room keys seemed to work, I have found that the little paper envelope should be used to protect the keys from other electronic devices, maybe I am losing it here but when these magnetic hotels keys get near my smart phone these cards seem to get stupid! Check in and check out was efficient. I did not give it a 5 as it might be time for a little refresh here and there, but that would not stop me from returning.

Room Tip: I think it is fair to say most rooms are located close to most areas of the hotel, due pay attentio...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (872)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
United States
Reviewed 18 August 2014 via mobile

I've just come home from a week at the Fairmont Orchid, and I would definitely put it in the same as league as previous vacations I've had while staying at the Ritz in Grand Cayman or the St. Regis in Kauai. Special thanks to Patrick Gosselin for going above and beyond to make special accommodations for my husband after an unexpected arm surgery 3 weeks before our trip.

Location-
The Orchid is perfectly situated on the sunny side of the island. We rented a car and traveled all over the island. It might be rainy in Waimea or in Hilo, but it's always sunny at the Orchid.

Beach-
It's a smaller beach, protected by reef and rocks, so the water is calm. Perfect for snorkeling and paddle boarding. Saw multiple turtles while snorkeling right off the beach. Try Hapuna beach 5 mins. north if you want a larger beach with lots of waves.

Grounds-
Beautifully landscaped and lush grounds. Plumeria, hibiscus, and palms. I was here 2 days after Hurricane Iselle and the hotel was in perfect condition. It is protected by the volcanoes.

Pool-
Huge pool, much larger than I expected, so it never felt crowded. Pool service is available but they don't hover over you constantly as they do as stuffier hotels. Also a nice hot tub.

Hotel-
small lobby but beautiful open air views throughout. Very elegant. My room was a suite and was huge- always clean and definitely updated. Housekeeping was twice per day. Bed very comfortable.

Food-
Didn't eat at Brown's Beach House but I heard it's one of the best on the island. I did have the breakfast buffet and the food was excellent. Nice kids' menu as well. I ate at Hale' Kai and food was also very good for casual fare; beautiful setting with tables right on the beach. Yes food can be pricey, but all food in Hawaii is pricey and you will find that anywhere you go.

Service-
Top notch. From Mr. Gosselin in management down to housekeeping, front desk, and restaurant servers, everyone always had a smile on their face and always eager to assist.

My husband and I agree that after each day of hiking, horseback riding, snorkeling, zip lining, or volcano watching-- the Orchid was always a breath of fresh air to come back to, relax by the pool or the beach, and take in the sun.

Would love to come back!

• Stayed August 2014
5 Thank brubenow
TheFairmontOrchid, Guest Relations Manager at Fairmont Orchid, Hawaii, responded to this review, 29 August 2014
Aloha, thank you so much for your wonderful review. We are grateful for your positive feedback, and look forward to the pleasure of welcoming you back again soon!
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 August 2014 via mobile

Positives: great location and friendly, helpful and resourceful concierge lady (Far). Great Brown restaurant with fantastic food and wonderful service (breathtaking sunset view)

Negatives: room keys didn't work twice (once late at night after an outing) and got to walk a long way back to the front desk; breakfast spread is dismal and service is extremely slow (though polite and friendly); room is dated; shower cubicle floods (water flows very slowly); shuttle bus left us waiting at The Shops for almost an hour after dinner (had to go back to the restaurant 4x to get them to call the hotel for the shuttle). I won't be complaining about these weaknesses of the hotel if we weren't paying almost USD500 a night!

Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Hafiz W
New Orleans, Louisiana
Reviewed 16 August 2014

We had a very nice stay here. Rooms were well-appointed and comfortable. My only complaint was that we kept hearing noise from the space above, sounded like things dropping on the floor periodically, would wake you up sometimes. Didn't bother me enough to speak to anyone. We had breakfast daily at the Orchid Court. While there is good variety on the the buffet, we found the overall food quality here to be pretty average. The best option was the omelette station. One morning we ordered off the menu - we both had omelettes and they misplaced the order. Once we asked the server, it was rectified and the chef came out to apologize, which was unnecessary but appreciated. We had a very good dinner at Brown's, would definitely recommend - very good food, service, ambiance. We also ate dinner another night at the Hale Kai(sp?). This was average food. The prices for both these places are really expensive for our blood, but that is Hawaii. We did some snorkeling - the kids liked it a lot. The turtles are nice. The nearby petroglyphs are interesting. The grounds are gorgeous and well-maintained. My daughter had a spa session which she enjoyed. We did not use other amenities since we were mainly out driving about the island. If I were to return to this part of the island, I probably would not return to the Fairmont Orchid, but that is simply due to price. We were there during a rare hurricane scare and I must give props to the front desk staff who were very gracious despite being slammed when we checked in. I am sure a number of their guests not used to hurricanes were very needy of their time. I had tried to call the hotel the day before to ascertain their status for the storm and could not get through on the phone so e-mailed them. Didn't hear back until the next day and we had already decided to come anyway from Volcano. I do appreciate the thoughtful response from Tanah Morin we eventually got. Although the response was too late to affect our decision to come, I do appreciate the effort, as I am sure they were swamped with calls and e-mails. I thought the hotel did a good job in communicating on-site about changes in service, etc. due to the storm. Staff came and brought in our lanai furniture and replaced it later. As it turned out, there was little to no storm effect at the hotel, which certainly was a relief to someone who has gone weeks without power after Gulf Coast storms. All in all, I am positive about our stay other than food outside Brown's Beach House could use some buffing up. It is however a very expensive place to stay and for me, it was just not the best value which negatively affects my rating. I am happy with a lot fewer amenities and a lower bill, but others may find it perfect for their needs.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank highway61nola
TheFairmontOrchid, Guest Relations Manager at Fairmont Orchid, Hawaii, responded to this review, 22 August 2014
Aloha,
Thank you very much for taking the time to share your experience. We appreciate your lovely compliments about Brown's Beach House, the hotel grounds, and many of the services you enjoyed. Please accept our apology for the noise from above that disturbed you, and for the delayed response to your inquiry regarding Hurricane Iselle. We are so very fortunate that we were spared any impact, and pleased that your overall experience was mostly positive. Mahalo for staying with us!
Sioux Falls, SD
Reviewed 16 August 2014 via mobile

Stayed at this hotel a couple of years ago. Breakfast and dinner outdoors near the beac could not have been more enjoyable. Protected private beach area was awesome. Would recommend the couples massage in a private cabana near the beach. Talk about relieving stress and tension.

Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Aloha! Thank you for staying with us again and for your nice comments. We look forward to your next visit!
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed 15 August 2014

we came to this hotel for dinner because everywhere else was packed. the grounds were very beautiful and the staff was awesome. when we got there all the restaurants were full. despite this there was a large asian-style restaurant downstairs that was closed for some reason even though it could have seated at least 50 people. maybe they were short-staffed? we finally found a seat at the lounge, and for the most part things were up to their fairmont standards. we ordered the sliders and they took FOREVER to arrive, at least an hour. luckily me and my friends got engrossed in our conversation and didn't mind the wait. when we got the burgers we took a bite and discovered they were blood red in the middle. apparently, as we found out later, those silly americans think that ground beef works like steak and you don't have to cook the inside. We asked the waiter to take them back and cook them again. when they came back they were still red, but it was 11 o'clock by that time so we just asked for the bill. I was also aware that the waiter could hardly speak english and it was hard to communicate with her. at least the drinks were good.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
Dear Cole C,

Thank you for posting your review and for your nice comments about our beautiful hotel grounds and wonderful staff. It was very concerning to read of your disappointing experience at Luana Lounge; please accept our sincere apology. We value your feedback, and appreciate that you have brought this to our attention so that we can take steps to ensure it does not happen again. We do hope you will come back again - we would appreciate an opportunity to provide you with a much more positive overall experience. Aloha!
California
Reviewed 15 August 2014

Very nice hotel with wonderful staff. Although no waterslides and only one small Jacuzzi, the protected beach area more than makes up for it for the kids.
Being able to snorkel with turtles is a once in a lifetime thing for mainlanders. The surfboards and paddleboards were hits with our kids. Good snorkeing equipment. Really enjoyed the walking paths up to the Mauna Lani through the ancient fish ponds. Great morning exercise before a day of lounging at the pool.
We have stayed here before and will stay here again.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Fairmont Hotels & Resorts

1 Thank 980mary
Aloha,

Thank you for coming back to see us again. We appreciate your lovely review and look forward to your return!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Puako
Hapuna Beach Prince Hotel
Mauna Kea Beach Hotel, Autograph Collection
Courtyard by Marriott King Kamehameha's Kona Beach Hotel
Kings' Land by Hilton Grand Vacations
Mauna Lani Bay Hotel & Bungalows
Four Seasons Resort Hualalai

Been to Fairmont Orchid, Hawaii? Share your experiences!