Hapuna Beach Prince Hotel
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
  • Restaurant
  • Room Service
3,782 results
All reviewshapuna beachthe coast grillehapuna cafethe big islandparking garagesister hotelthe mauna keaocean frontbreakfast buffetpool barcafe pestochairs and umbrellasboogie boardingpartial ocean viewgolf coursedouble sinkswhite sand
Reviewed 19 August 2014

Beautiful and unique property. Was offered a drink at the front desk while I checked in. Really pretty view of the sunset from the pool chairs overlooking the ocean. Really friendly staff. A little confusing and long walk finding the way to the front desk from the parking garage.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank AlohaGirl86
MaunaKeaResort, Manager at Hapuna Beach Prince Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 20 August 2014

Thank you for staying with us! We're glad you enjoyed the views, which we admit are pretty spectacular. Please return soon. Aloha.

Reviewed 18 August 2014

My Husband & I, along with my in-laws and my parents, stayed at the Hapuna Beach Prince Hotel August 5 – 8th, 2014. This was a last minute trip as we were staying in the Kopoho area on the Hilo side the week of Tropical Storm Iselle. Originally we were only going to stay at the hotel for two nights, but with Iselle we ended up staying for a total of three nights. We all had to switch rooms for that third night (original rooms had already been requested by new guests), but the hotel made it very easy to roll over the bills from the first room to the second.

1. Check in process – We arrived a bit before the official check-in time & each of us had no problem getting our rooms. Everyone at the desk was very pleasant to deal with. We each received a nice cool towel & welcome drink during the check-in process. Since we were the ones with the car, we purchased the parking/wifi packet. Parking was a bit high, but when you did the package that included wifi, bottled water daily & some other extras it wasn’t as bad.

2. Room: We received an ocean view room in building 4 with a king size bed for two nights & then a partial ocean view room in building 5 for the last night. The rooms were very quiet and spacious. Rooms had a working mini-fridge and an ice bucket that was refilled daily. Balcony was nice size – had a table & two chairs + a chaise lounge. The view wasn't bad either (from either location). The Bathroom was a nice size with two sinks, separate toilet, shower & tub. Two people could be in there without any problems. Shower & bath both had good water pressure with plenty of hot water. The bed was a little soft to my liking, but I prefer a more firm bed.

3. Service – The front desk was always very helpful. My father had an issue with his key card when they moved to the second room. A staff member went with him to test it, found it didn't work & quickly issued a working card.

4. WiFi: The wifi had a stronger signal in building 4 then building 5, but it still worked. We got the parking/wifi package, so we didn't have to pay the $13 a day fee daily.

5. Parking – We did valet as it was not much more than self-park & I had older parents with me. Again, we got the parking/wifi package, so the bill wasn't as painful. I believe they charge $25 a day for valet & $20 for self-parking.

6. Breakfast – We did take advantage of the breakfast buffet each day. Yes, it is a bit steep in price, but there were always plenty of options. On the day of the hurricane they moved the buffet indoors & charged a lowered rate. I was a bit disappointed they didn't have the omelet station set up, but I still managed to find plenty to eat. As we were just hanging out at the resort, eating on site made sense.

7. Dinner – On the evening of the expected hurricane, we ate onsite for dinner. The hotel offered only two options that evening – a spaghetti buffet or dinner at the Ocean Grill (located in Hakuna). We chose dinner at the Ocean Grill. Service was HORRIBLE & the food was just ok. We waiting over 90 minutes for our entrees & when we asked our server about it, she nervously laughed & just walked away. It was odd! They weren't that busy either.

8. Beach & Pool – What a pretty stretch of beach! We played in the surf everyday. The pool was quite nice too. Temperature felt good. My dad swam a few laps & enjoyed it as well. The chair game does goes on here, so get up early if you want shade or that front row seating.

9. Location – The hotel is about 40 minutes away from Kona, but it worked for us. That stretch of beach was heavenly & worth it. Did have to take quite the taxi ride to Sensei over at the Waikoloa resort area, but we knew that it wasn't close going in.

All in all, we had a great time at the Hapuna Beach Prince Hotel & would stay there again. I would love to play on that beach again.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank strictlybettyboop
MaunaKeaResort, Manager at Hapuna Beach Prince Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 19 August 2014

Aloha and mahalo for your detailed comments. We appreciate hearing from our guests. We do apologize for your service and food situation on the night of tropical storm Iselle but we are happy everything else was to your liking. We look forward to your return. Mahalo.

Reviewed 17 August 2014

Our family of 4 (2 kids aged 5 &7) stayed here for 5 nights at the end of June - beginning of July. The hotel was not very crowded and we got upgraded to an ocean front view. We loved the room. Every morning I would take my coffee out on the deck and sit and watch the ocean. Lovely!
Hapuna Beach is gorgeous! Great for kids as the surf was not rough. There is a good area to snorkel to the right of the beach by the rocks. We even
saw a sea turtle one day.
The kids loved the pool. It was big with a nice view of the beach.
We ate some lunches at the beach/pool bar but ate all our dinners away from the hotel. We did the luau at the Mauna Kea (the 5 star sister property) which was really nice (they have a free shuttle at the hotel to take
you there). The hotel was offering a special kids eat free with an adult which saved a lot of money, especially with the
luau.
Before you go make sure to sign up for the free Hapuna Prince Prefered Rewards Program. This saved us money on our room and probably helped us with getting an upgrade. It also gives you free parking.
We did a 1/2 day afternoon snorkel trip with the Fair Winds company which I would recommend. Another great spot for dinner/drinks is the Lava Lava Beach Bar on A Bay.

• Stayed: June 2014
2  Thank Mag33333
MaunaKeaResort, Manager at Hapuna Beach Prince Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 18 August 2014

We're happy you and your family enjoyed your stay with us. Thank you for sharing your comments, which always helps us continuously improve. Please return again soon. Aloha.

Reviewed 16 August 2014

Coming from the eastside of the island to getaway from the stress following hurricane Iselle, we were excited to spend our weekend at this beautiful hotel. As a kamaʻāina, or local, my family and I came here often while growing up for various functions and of course to have mini staycations on the sunnier side of the island :)

The staff was excellent and very friendly. They assisted with all our requests and provided a ocean view upgrade. Just a tip, sharing aloha goes a long way. Rooms were spacious and offered a sizable lanai to enjoy our morning coffee and evening drinks. The view was spectacular as we overlooked the ocean and was able to see the sunsets. My kids love the ocean and we go to Hapuna often, which is about a 2 hour drive from our home, so being able to wake up and walk to it was truly a treat for them!

The only thing I will say is the seafood buffet on Friday nights ($62 adults, $31 children) is really overpriced. Even with the 20% off and kids eat free promo it wasn't really worth the price tag. I guess my criticism comes from comparing it to Hilo Hawaiian hotel's Queens Court Restaurant, which is $41, and in my opinion tastier and way better food selection plus it comes with free and unlimited refills on drinks which include beer, wine and soft drinks.

Probably won't eat at the hotel's restaurants again with those kinds of prices but its not a deal breaker for staying at this beautiful hotel as you can find other great reasonably priced eating places in Waimea or the Queen's shopping center.

We will definitely stay at this hotel again and highly recommend staying here.

• Stayed: August 2014
2  Thank Mokuokeawegirl

Mahalo for "escaping" to Hapuna Beach Prince Hotel. We appreciate your business and we appreciate your remarks. We look forward to your return soon. Aloha.

Reviewed 12 August 2014

I enjoyed my visit to the big island and this hotel so much last year that I returned this year. Unfortunately my flight was delayed due to weather and I arrived a day late. I notified American Airlines vacations about what had happened and they called the hotel to notify them I would not arrive until the next day. Still Hapuna refused to refund me for the night I missed saying they held a room for me and didn't sell it to anyone else. That is interesting because I had called ahead of time and requested a location close to the lobby because my husband had recently had knee replacement surgery but when I arrived at he hotel I was given a room 2 buildings away. I was only given a closer room when I complained that it was too far for him to walk.

I stayed at this hotel 9 nights last year and was suppose to stay 8 nights this year but I am not sure I would return knowing their policy. Travel to Hawaii from South Carolina or anywhere for that matter is a long trip and there can easily be weather related issues that delay your plans. That is why I am writing this review just know if a tropical storm hits or anything delays your flight you won't be reimbursed. To add insult to injury they charged me an extra 100.00 to do a late checkout on the last day.

A couple other negatives but they are big negatives. The entrance to the snorkel area is quite dangerous and hard to maneuver. They have music in the evenings but it is right at dinner time. So if you leave to go eat and get back at 8:30 or 9:00 there is NOTHING to do. You can't even get a drink at an open bar. I think I have pretty much convinced myself why I would stay somewhere else. This hotel is lame.

Room Tip: Choose an ocean view room
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
10  Thank islandgirl455

We have tried to research your situation and have not been able to obtain the appropriate information. Please contact our hotel manager, Tom Cross, at 808-880-1111 so that we might resolve your issues as soon possible. Mahalo.