“What a great attraction!” 5 of 5 bubbles

More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“What a great attraction!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 June 2014

I must to admit in an interest as an ancestor of mine had been killed in a rock fall at the Huntcliffe mine nearby. We had planned to visit the still standing Engine House for the mine located on the cliff top just off the Cleveland Way and had determined that Skinningrove was the best starting point. At that stage, until we drove into the village, we knew nothing of the museum. we parked and looked at the admissions board - £5.50 each - should we or shouldn't we?

We did and am I glad of that? The staff were, without exception, knowledgeable and friendly and really brought the story to life. This is a tremendous experience which would be of interest to all ages. It is a pity that England is turning into a Heritage Museum country but as that is a fact the existence of museums of this calibre is to be welcomed both for itself and for the jobs it brings to the local communities. Go visit it!

Visited June 2014
1 Thank Alan T

Fairlight, United Kingdom
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Brilliant Museum”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 June 2014

My husband and I had a wonderful time at this museum , the staff were brilliant and really made the stories come to life. A fascinating insight to the workings of a mine. Go, and I am sure you will enjoy it as much as we did. Thank you.

Visited June 2014
1 Thank Jools106652
Milton Keynes, United Kingdom
15 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 45 helpful votes
“The best £5 worth of Museum ever.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 May 2014

We arrived on a rainy day Easter Week. All staff were enthusiastic and friendly. They even arranged a private tour for me as my husband had already been around whilst I walked our dog!
They brought the conditions of the time to life and gave this 64 year old a sense of achievement when I successfully lit the fuse, ran away, and brought down a fall off rock!!!! I have the certificate to prove it.
Well done everyone. Utterly recommended for kids of all ages.

Visited April 2014
2 Thank TravellerwithSharPei
Shifnal, United Kingdom
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“brought to life by brilliant tour guides”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 February 2014

family, kids 6-8 yrs. The staff were full of enthusiasm and brought the place to life. My kids were quite frightened and to be honest it was scary for small kids, but that is because they have gone to lengths to give a feeling of what it was like...pitch black room with voice over from a small child describing his first day in the mine, a mock up of setting up an explosive in the mine and then returning to find the rock fall. The history also fascinating and the iron made the sydney harbour bridge!

Visited February 2014
1 Thank sarah j
Middlesbrough, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Great !!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 November 2013

Ignore MarcMH ! For a fiver each 4 of us spent nearly 2 hrs here & it only felt like 10 minutes. The tour guides are enthusiastic & informative - I think the length of the tour depends on how many questions you ask (all answered) All in all WELL WORTH THE VISIT. p.s. I don't like parmos.

Visited November 2013