“hidden gem”

Cleveland Ironstone Mining Museum
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Reviewed 21 July 2014

We found this by accident but what a pleasant surprise. The underground tour was interesting with some exciting theatrical effects. A must for anyone interested in the local industrial history.

1  Thank VM B

Reviewed 10 July 2014

Read some good reviews on here and found a 2 for 1 offer and thought i would try it one day. Was passing on way to whitby and we thought what the hell give it a go. What a great couple of hours we had. There was only two of us on the tour and we was given a great nearly two hour tour of the mine by three very good tour guides. The tour is split in to three parts, each part with a differant tour guide. The staff are very friendly and know there stuff. I would highly recommend this place for a great day out and been a tight wad like me free parking and value for money. Gift shop very small and well priced.

1  Thank PaulM0ff
Reviewed 22 June 2014

I must to admit in an interest as an ancestor of mine had been killed in a rock fall at the Huntcliffe mine nearby. We had planned to visit the still standing Engine House for the mine located on the cliff top just off the Cleveland Way and had determined that Skinningrove was the best starting point. At that stage, until we drove into the village, we knew nothing of the museum. we parked and looked at the admissions board - £5.50 each - should we or shouldn't we?

We did and am I glad of that? The staff were, without exception, knowledgeable and friendly and really brought the story to life. This is a tremendous experience which would be of interest to all ages. It is a pity that England is turning into a Heritage Museum country but as that is a fact the existence of museums of this calibre is to be welcomed both for itself and for the jobs it brings to the local communities. Go visit it!

1  Thank Alan T
Reviewed 10 June 2014

My husband and I had a wonderful time at this museum , the staff were brilliant and really made the stories come to life. A fascinating insight to the workings of a mine. Go, and I am sure you will enjoy it as much as we did. Thank you.

1  Thank Jools106652
Reviewed 1 May 2014

We arrived on a rainy day Easter Week. All staff were enthusiastic and friendly. They even arranged a private tour for me as my husband had already been around whilst I walked our dog!
They brought the conditions of the time to life and gave this 64 year old a sense of achievement when I successfully lit the fuse, ran away, and brought down a fall off rock!!!! I have the certificate to prove it.
Well done everyone. Utterly recommended for kids of all ages.

2  Thank TravellerwithSharPei