“Typical RV Park”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Scotch Creek
Cottonwood Cove RV Resort
Edmonton, Canada
“Typical RV Park”
Reviewed 27 October 2013

If you have an RV and want full hook ups and not picky about the campground, this is the place to stay.
If you are looking for a campground with trees for shade and a nice beach, not the best place to stay.
The washroom facilities are small, I think two washrooms and two showers. We have an RV so I didn't use the campground facility.
Depending where you are camped there is a random smell of garbage and sewer. They have a "pond" which is a stagnant body of water with garbage floating in it. I don't know how people can swim in it....ewwww
The campground is close drive into Scotch Creek for groceries, ice cream and not over priced wood.
They claim to have security on site but I highly doubt it since I never saw anyone and we had vandalism to our trailer.

I love the Okanagan but not this campground. We will try something different for next year.

5 Thank LCC_april_canadian

Solo
Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed 12 August 2013

Can't believe how horrible this campground was. We did not see any information on drinking water, hope there wasn't any as we did drink the water.
Only 2 washrooms for the ladies including the special needs one. The first time I went to the washroom I noticed blood spatters and other fecal matter on the toilet, they were also out of toilet paper, I cleaned it the best I could leaving some for the staff, but next morning at 9 am same spatters were still there and still no toilet paper!!!!! Later that day they were out of soap as well!

We are tent campers and we had to set up our tent between the huge trailers. Not even a small tenting field for those who're just camping with basic tents. Maybe instead of using up space for a ridiculously dirty "pond" they could have used the space for tenting. Or even more needed: some washrooms!

I have a disability and had to walk pretty far to get to the washroom. I wish the lady told me on the phone when I booked and informed her about my disability. At the booking they asked me who was camping with us, adults, children, etc. How many tents, cars, boats, etc. I gave her all the information and when I called back in 10 minutes with the credit card info, I asked her how much we paid, she gave us the price per night, however upon arrival there was suddenly an extra cost for the boat ($20 per nigh extra)!

The worst was the sanitary and the uglyness. Don't go there unless you really need to be there!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank Anneke1965
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 2 August 2013

Booked this back in May. Asked for 2 weeks. Said they only had room for the first, so I booked it. Then I called again 2 weeks before we came and suddenly our site was free for four more days and then I was given a choice of only4 others to choose from. When we arrived the place was only 50% full and stayed that way the whole time. Why would they say there were booked then. I don't think 1/2 the people cancelled in 2 weeks.

Got to our site. I expected more of an RV resort for the $65 price tag. Nope, tuna can crammed in camping. Each site had a little grass. Everything else including the roads were gravel. To get to the sites you enjoy driving past a smelly sewer station and a junkyard. Got settled in an was very surprised that they allow tenters in the same area as rvs. The trailers give a bit of privacy between sites but when you have a tent wasteland it gets pretty barren. Did not like that.

Once in, we found out from one of our kids who went to the public washroom that there was a boilwater advisory posted. As other reviews have said, you are NOT told that at check in. Off to buy TONS of water for 2 weeks. Very costly. Then we go to have dinner and sit outside and are assaulted by more mosquitos than I have ever seen in my life! I expect bugs camping, but this was unbearable. We went and spent another $35 on mosquito control products to little avail. Perhaps having a festering cesspool in the centre of the campground is not a good idea. We spent time at other parts of the lake and did not find half as many manquitos. It is particularly bad at this place. Mykids each had about 50 mosquito bites by the first morning even after using the mosquito products.

Now for the cesspool. What is that? It looks like a pond? I don't know but they have a dock in the middle and many crazy parents were letting their kids swim in it??!! At the edges of the quagmire was garbage, beer cans, milk jugs and tons of debris. There were frogs and other animals in it. My kids took their blow up boat just to float on it. One fell in accidently and ran back to have a shower right away. It must be bad for a kid to think it's gross. He woke up in the morning and looked in the mirror saying he was checking to see if he'd grown a third eye or an extra appendage. It was positively gross.

When I checked the site out on line before booking, there was supposed to be a clubhouse with kid's activities daily(boarded up) and a swimming dock with a slide(no where to be seen). My kids had told me to book based on the dock with a slide. You should take that photo off your site Cottonwood.

The staff were not very friendly and when I asked where a certain type of common business in town was I was told "i dont know". Thanks. They also run the "store" which ripped my kids off for $3 for about 2 cups of ice. It was so ridiculous, myhusband had to go up to make sure it was for real. Do NOT shop at the store.

The beach is rocky not sandy which I get because it's a lake. The dog beach was good and the people controlled their animals. It's not really a very pretty beach and it's abit a of a moon scape getting there. The dock was good but they wanted a $25 a DAY moorage fee after you're paying $65 a night to camp. We used the free buoys which were provided.

The other amenities included laundry( 2 washers, 2 dryers, always being used), and washrooms with 2 stalls and 2 showers, hardly enough for the size of the campground half empty, nevermind full.A small playgound rarely seemed tobe used and that's about it. The attraction of course is the lake. But, you can get that at a million other places here.

I guess you don't really have to wonder why this place is half empty on the most beautiful lake in BC, relatively close to urban centres in the hottest and dryest July on record. It speaks for itself.

5 Thank coffeechik
Reviewed 21 July 2013

We recently spent 5 nights at Cottonwood in mid July 2013. The property is huge and has numerous sites, however I would estimate the park was probably only 40% full. We thought that was a bit odd for being a campground in mid July. The sites themselves are great. They are large and grassy with nice fire pits and it is evident that the owners have recently spent a lot of money upgrading the electrical services. Each campsite is also equipped with its own irrigation system so you don't have hoses and sprinklers sitting around spraying water for hours on end.
The rate was $65 per night which we found quite expensive. The water was not suitable for drinking, however, we were not informed of this at check it. I just happened to come across a small sign in the washroom advising that the water should be boiled before being consumed. We were camping with our two very young children and I would of appreciated them advising us of the water situation at check in.
The campground has only one washroom facility with 2 bathroom stalls and 2 showers. I was shocked that that was the only facilities on the entire property. Had the campground been at full capacity there is no way those facilities would be adequate to serve the guests.
The mosquitos were TERRIBLE. In the first 24 hours I accrued over 25 bites and that was with wearing pants, sweatshirt, socks and shoes, despite the hot weather. We used mosquito coils, every type of spray repellent, citronella bracelets, citronella candles, all to no avail. It was evident that the beach on the south side of the campground was under water until recently as the marshiness was still drying up. The beach was okay and the water was not riddled with weeds but the water was quite cold. There was not much sandy spots for our young kids to play. The beaches have lots of roots and weeds on the shore. The lagoon was just that......a lagoon. The water is stagnant and a dyke was built between the lake and the lagoon so no fresh lake water enters the lagoon. We saw frogs swimming in there. The lagoon has a floating swimming dock and some kids swam in there but you couldn't pay me money to put my toe in there.
Our campsite had an older tree next to it that appeared to have some dead limbs. One day we had a windstorm and a large branch fell and smashed the small fibreglass front awning and window on our trailer.
Overall, the campground is definitely not worth $65 a night. As campers, our party expected insects, however the amount of mosquitos was ridiculous. It was difficult to enjoy sitting around the campfire while constantly being attacked by mosquitos. Had we not paid for our stay up front, we would of considered leaving and moving on to another campground.

• Stayed July 2013
4 Thank Mumsieoftwo
Canada
Reviewed 18 July 2013

We stayed here in July and had a pretty good time but I'm not sure we would come back. First of all if you are going to pay 65 dollars a night you kind of expect to be able to drink the water. There was a do not drink water advisory the whole time we were there. The sad thing is we were not even told about it at check-in. I only happened to see the small sign in the bathrooms thank goodness. We are pretty easy going people so for us to complain that is saying a lot. We had the whole park to ourselves which seemed quite strange. I know last year when people came there was a few weeks of the power and water being shut off cause the owner didn't pay his bills so maybe a lot of people didn't come back. I only mentioned this cause when we were in the only bathroom building there was 2 toilets and 2 showers. For a park this sized that is just nowhere near enough so I don't know what would happen if they were to fill up. The bathrooms were clean so that is a plus. The beach is extremely rocky and that is a negative to us. We had a lakeside site that was lovely to look at but we didn't ever use the beach cause of the rocks. It just seemed with this place for every positive there was a negative as well. And for 65 a night I don't think it was worth it. A tip for future visitors make sure you pay the extra and get a lakeside spot. The breeze from the water helps keep the mosquitos away. The more you walked from our site the more you came in contact with them. The money you save by being further away from the water will be easily spent on bug spray. The spots right beside the lagoon are pretty but very high in mosquito quota.... I hoped this helped you decide!!! Cheers....

1 Thank momoftwins2
North Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 16 July 2013

My husband and myself are VERY easy to please, but the negatives outweighed the positives at Cottonwood. The reasons we'll not be back include...
1. $65 a night. Shuswap Lake is lovely, but that rate is excessive.
2. 3 night minimum...we didn't like that but took a chance anyway
3. The mosquitos are everywhere all the time. We would have left the next day but we were trapped by the 3 nite minimum
4. Goose poop everywhere
5. Did I mention the mosquitoes?

On the positive side...
1. Very scenic location; our site was right on the water, with grass and shade trees.
2. Very clean washrooms and laundry facility
3. The positive result of all the negatives is that the place was almost empty and so very peaceful and quiet
4. Contrary to some other reviews, we found the staff very friendly and helpful.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Joy T
Reviewed 14 July 2013

We stayed here last August 2012 and we had an amazing time. The camp stall are really nice and big with alot of green grass for kids to play. The lake is a rock throw away which we loved. We enjoyed our morning coffee sitting outside our trailer watching the lake. They have a dog beach which don't be scared of the name. It was a great beach it was clean and everyone respected each other while the dogs where on the beach. They did have some beat issues being right next to a provincial park. They had near traps and security making rounds throughout the day and evening to ensure all the campers where safe and that people cleaned up after them selves. Great location, great staff, great price. We love it so much we will be returning the end of July for 8 days!

• Stayed August 2012
Jade Mountain Motel
#2 of 4 in Chase
Quaaout Lodge & Spa at Talking Rock Golf Resort
ViewPoint RV Park & Cottages

Been to Cottonwood Cove RV Resort? Share your experiences!