“Great camping location!”

Grundy Lake Provincial Park
Ranked #1 of 1 things to do in Britt
Reviewed 29 July 2014

This was my first time camping in an Ontario provincial park, I booked online, 2 weeks before our chosen weekend. (last minute I know, right?) I chose White Spruce because other reviews recommended it as being one of the best. They were right. We had site 25, if I return I probably won't choose the same site. It was a little too rocky to securely peg the tent down the way I wanted. All the other sites looked great though. Sheltered adequately, close to the water, plenty of trees to string up clotheslines and tarps, very close to Gut Lake Trail, and low and behold two flushing toilets. I checked other campgrounds nearby and they didn't have flushing toilets. we lucked out.
We hiked all three trails, Swan Lake and Beaver Dam Trail are about 1-1:30 hours walk away so we drove to those and hiked them. There is parking available at the trail entrance. Gut Lake Trail was by far my favourite. Huge rock formations and an incredible view of the lake. We saw foxes, hawks, rabbits, chipmunks, turtles and frogs!

The staff were great, always smiling and waving when they passed by your site. Super helpful too. We got lost on our way to one of the trails and a park ranger pulled over when we waved and helped us get back on track.
There is a gas station and general store near to the park entrance. I advise not buying much there because it's overpriced but it's good in a pinch. (we forgot hot dog buns.) They rent canoes, kayaks and paddleboats at the gas station. They make two drop offs a day, 12 and 6pm. So get in early and you can spend most of the day out on the water.

I definitely recommend Grundy Lake and I will definitely be returning! amazing!

6  Thank Alex G

Reviewed 24 July 2014

This was our first visit to this park, and we loved it! We reserved online so were a little nervous about our site but it was great. Near the beach with a short walk to trails and activities. We were able to try soapstone carving and very much enjoyed taking our masterpieces home to show our artistic prowess... Lol. We are planning another visit this September as a mini reunion to camp with family members who have stayed there before. Looking forward to kayaking this year and exploring more of the park.

1  Thank H0llyberry12
Reviewed 18 July 2014

We have been camping at Grundy Lake since June 2010. We started off by camping in a tent at a site in Red Maple. Most beautiful spot in the park. In 2011 we decided it was time to upgrade to a camper, so we had to choose electric sites. The non electric, tent only areas of the park are the most private. Our favourite site is 114 in Hemlock, but during the mid summer it is usually booked up. I love staying in White Birch as well. The park is inexpensive and we can relax with the whole family. The kids have forts, trails and landmarks that they know quite well. When we arrive, we take the bikes off first, so they can go exploring and find some new friends. We have been to visit this park about 3 times each summer since 2010. We go twice in the spring and once late fall, when it isn't as busy. The mosquitos are hit and miss, depending on the time of year. We always visit the French River trading post when go. Often if it rains, we take a trip to Sudbury to visit Dynamic North and some local attractions. When it is nice, we spend a lot of time hiking the trails and hanging out at the beach. Lots of memories and traditions have been made while at Grundy. Can't wait to go back in the fall.

7  Thank Alice M
Reviewed 16 July 2014

We are visiting this provincial park for 5 years already, once in every summer. I think we found our perfect camping place. There are activities for all ages: great hiking trails, canoe/kayak rentals nearby and many great beaches with smooth rocky shores provide excellent swimming; bring your bikes! Countless inland lakes that offer endless canoeing and kayaking adventures.
3.5 hours from Toronto, highly reccomended camping for everyone who loves camping!

3  Thank Lilia P
Reviewed 6 July 2014

very nice provincial park. Sections 600 have power and is close to showers. There are several small lakes to explore here as well as hiking trails. Cliffs for jumping off and a quiet (no motors) lake for canoes. As you turn off 69 onto #522 there is a business that rents canoes($40 per day) as well as a store,gas and small takeout. Just a little further north is the French river and trading post.Snowmobile bridge is worth a visit. Nice area,clean park but wardens in force 11pm quiet time. We were up early and spent all day on water so were wiped out by then anyway. Get to showers early to avoid lineups.

2  Thank EastTravels