“Very good service for a group of 21 people”
Review of Kingstown Hotel

Kingstown Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Hedon
Macclesfield, United Kingdom
“Very good service for a group of 21 people”
Reviewed 5 October 2013

This was a birdwatching weekend for 21 members of an RSPB group from Cheshire. The rooms were very comfortable and the food in the Fayre and Square restaurant, though basic pub food, was very reasonably priced and well prepared and served. The staff were always extremely cheerful and helpful, which added greatly to the pleasure of the stay. I would certainly use this hotel again, whether individually or with a group.

If you are considering a birdwatching break, the hotel is well placed for visiting several birding locations. The Yorkshire Wildlife Trust's reserves at Spurn Point and North Cave are respectively about 40 and 25 minutes' drive away. The RSPB reserves at Tophill Low and Blacktoft Sands are futher away, but still perfectly possible, as are many birding hotspots in North Lincolnshire.

Room Tip: All rooms are on the ground floor. However, only one room, no. 5, has a walk-in shower, so ask for...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 September 2013

We stayed 3 nights at this hotel. My Father was raised in nearby Hedon and we were visiting relatives and friends.
The first thing that struck me was how friendly everyone was, especially Sue on reception, who was really lovely.
We had been up graded to a family room which was spacious with a huge bed and comfortable bedding. Everything we needed was catered for. The room we were in was very quiet, and there was a peaceful feel to the entire hotel despite being close to a road.

The bar and restaurant was open to the public and very popular and we could see why. The food and drink prices were exceptional (especially to us ripped off southerners) I must confess I didn't expect too much due to the cheaper cost but the food was really good. The staff were again very friendly and the service was excellent.

The only criticism I do have was the morning breakfast. Compared to similar hotels we have visited we found the breakfasts not up to normal standards. There was only sachets of coffee and it was quite do it yourself. The English breakfast was good but overall we were disappointed.

I do highly recommend the Kingstown. I left feeling relaxed and chilled, and believing we had received good value for money. Thank you

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
Hull
Reviewed 9 September 2013

Unless a person is visually impaired I would suggest that as they drive-up to the Kingstown Hotel they would see the signage advertising "Two for £10" meals in the restaurant so they should know that they are not entering a bistro or gourmet restaurant. I and my friends have used "The Kingstown" for many years and to date have not had reason to complain. We have always found the staff to be friendly, polite and attentive and the food and drink to be value for money.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 9 September 2013

We stayed at the hotel after visiting family and found it to be lovely. The staff there were of an excellent standard and made sure everything was okay and to our needs. The foods was good as we were ordering from the 2for10 menu we were pleasantly suprised at the quality and portions given. I couldnt fault anything in the pub it had a great family atmosphere and the staff were all efficient and seemed to be enjoying their job which made us feel more comfortable. Reading the previous review on here shocked me as I found all of that to be untrue and we thoroughly enjoyed our visit. We will certainly be returning and recommending to friends and relatives.

• Stayed October 2012
Reviewed 9 September 2013

I wasn't expecting much to be honest and you shouldn't for £44 a night. This is much better than Travelodge standard. The room was huge with a big double bed, sofa and armchairs. The bathroom was good with a powerful shower. It's slightly basic but very clean with friendly staff. The car park is right outside your room and the pub offers basic food and a decent bar range. For £44 this is great value.

Room Tip: Try and avoid a car park facing room as the road can be heard just about
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Lancashire
Reviewed 2 September 2013

Because it's inedible ding food at its worst.
I knew it was going to be bad as I entered the restaurant past the tastefully arranged rows of slot machines to be confronted by 'Instructions on how to use this restaurant'. The staff were pleasant enough , but they had been trained to tell us that if we had even the tiniest itsy-bitsy little complainette about the food we ordered that they would magnanimously change the food for anything (yes - anything!) else on the menu. i.e. NO REFUNDS.
Frankly I would rather have eaten my own leg than another dish prepared by the hand that had assembled my steak and ale pie with mashed potato and peas. It was inedible and although I've never knowingly eaten dog food I would say that the filling in the pie is as close as I've ever been to it.
The ornately shaped yet industrially uniform brown, wrinkled crust of said pie reminded me of the skin of those people you see on holiday - who went on holiday to Paxos in 1974 and never came back home - maybe the result of blast-freezing the freshly manufactured pie before the pastry could settle and then banging it into the microwave/grill before serving. It looked as if it had been petrified.
It had been a long time since the splat of 'mashed potato' on my plate had been a potato, if indeed it ever had been. To cap it all they'd managed to UNDERCOOK the peas, a feat achieved only by fully paid-up members of the "couldn't give a monkey's" brigade.
Why oh why do places like this exist? Is this what people want?
Oh well, I suppose Farmfoods exists so maybe they do. Why not listen to what Jamie Oliver has to say if you want to eat on a budget?
Anyway - I blame my Mother-in-Law. She insisted on going to this place. I'll be more firm with her next time.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
4 Thank LancashireReporter

Travellers are raving about these Hedon hotels

Kingston-upon-Hull, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 September 2013 via mobile

We stayed st the Kingstown Hotel on the 31/9/13 for a night.Its was a very enjoyable stay everything from room to food and drink was excellent and would not hesitate to recommend you and we will be stopping there again thank you to all concerend you deserve the thanks.

• Stayed August 2013
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hedon
Ibis Hull
Holiday Inn Hull Marina
Holiday Inn Hull Marina
#4 of 18 in Kingston-upon-Hull
Holiday Inn  Express Hull City Centre
Holiday Inn Express Hull City C...
#8 of 18 in Kingston-upon-Hull
Holiday Inn Express Grimsby

Been to Kingstown Hotel? Share your experiences!