Merit Wellness & Mind Retreat Resort Samui
Average 3/5
Sandalwood Luxury Villas(Maret)
Excellent 5/5
Great 4.5/5
Coral Cove Chalet(Lamai Beach)
Good 3.5/5
Good 3.5/5
  • Breakfast included
Very Good 4/5
Banyan Tree Samui(Lamai Beach)
Great 4.5/5
See what travellers are saying:
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 16 October 2012

My husband and I have been traveling to Koh Samui for the 4 years and stay at the Cliff View Resort every time-

The location is a short scooter or tuk tuck ride away from the city centre.

The resort itself is a little dated yet clean with the basic facilities and fantastic staff-
The rooms are large with most over viewing the sea and a private balcony.

Do be prepared for a hike up the stairs if you wish to go to reception or call in advance for a van to collect you.

Great for couples who wish to has a quite hotel and relax within away to the busy streets or beach-

great nearby restaurant called the Cliff with assorted menu and great ambiance.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 October 2012

Working for a very well known hotel chain with high standards that I feel should be expected within any hotel, I can certainly say that I was highly misled by the promises made on the Samui Cliff View website.

My fiance and I had a two week trip to Thailand booked. For the first 9 nights we stayed at one of the top three hotels in Patong and for the other 5 we had booked with Samui Cliff View. Usually when I am traveling I prefer to stay with a company that I am familiar with, this way we can have some assurance that we are going to receive a certain level of service and standard.
However, I had seen a discounted giveaway on the Getaway Lounge website offering the 5 nights accommodation, breakfast each morning for two, one complimentary dinner, one way hotel transfer and free snorkeling, kayaking and fishing equipment, with approximately $1400 off the original price.
After reading a few reviews and looking through the Samui Cliff View website I was fairly confident that it was a good choice.
I arranged for the hotel to pick us up with its shuttle service. When we were picked up I was fairly happy with my first impressions. The bus was in good condition with nice air conditioning and they had brought some complimentary fresh hand towels and water for us.
When we arrived at the hotel we were seated while our bags were taken care of and served some cold drinks ( which were part of the getaway deal ).
We were driven down to our room and shown how to operate everything within the room.
From this point on everything seemed to go down hill, yes we were given a warm greeting however it seemed to be that they were not going beyond expectation that the Getaway deal promised.
I went to take a shower to freshen up from our flight and was a little grossed out by dirty window sills in the shower cubicle, I'm not talking about a little dust build up, It was clear that it had been some time since routine cleaning had been performed. A clear layer of brown dirt was present with water droplet marks, obviously from the previous guest's.
After my shower I had a thorough look around the room. My fiance then discovered that the windows did not shut properly, with a large enough gap for any bugs to come into our room.
There was a crack in the toilet seat which had been poorly attempted to be patched up and simply pinched you on the bum whenever you sat on it.
The door to the bathroom was too low off the floor so every time you went to shut it you had to give it a strong push while it would scrape along the cement tiles in the bathroom.
I discovered that on the mini bar menu that if you wished to use the bathrobes that were provided in the room you had to pay 900 THB!, which is the equivalent of approximately $28, lucky I had read this before deciding to use then as no one has bothered to inform us of this.
Along with this there was no iron provided which makes it highly inconvenient when you are traveling as we all know how creased your clothes get.
One night we rang and asked for some ice to brought to the room so we could have a cold drink and I was absolutely disgusted to find out we were charged the equivalent of $2 for a very small bucket of ice. Never in my history of hotels and travels have I ever! had to pay for ice.
The first morning we went for breakfast we pushed the " do not disturb" button in our room as we had quite a number of valuable items out and wouldn't be too long at breakfast.
When we got to breakfast I was shocked to find that the food was left out uncovered, open for bugs and fly's, as we witnessed, the food was not of very high standard either. Eggs were available on order but only fried and the food served in the stainless steel trays was laid out on slices of bread...
I poured a coffee and after stirring it I had floating bits of milk which indicated to me that the milk was off, I chose not to drink it.
There staff were all very miserable none of them bothered to greet us or establish any communication let alone a smile which I was highly dissapointed in.
After returning from breakfast we went into our room to discover that the cleaners had been in and serviced the room when we had clearly left the do not disturb button on as we had all of our valuables out, lucky nothing was taken however it was the principle that concerned me.
We had come back from a long day at the beach and I thought I would take advantage of the Jacuzzi. Once I had run the bath I discovered that the bath liquid they provided was empty, not only that but the refillable bottles were built up with old gunky grime around the edges.
I got in to bed and found there to be sand in my sheets even after reading that the bedding was changed everyday unless we informed them not to, this made it obvious that the sheets had not been changed from the previous night, I also found that the pillows were fairly dirty with clear yellow sweat marks all underneath the pillow cases.
We thought we would take advantage of the complimentary dinner that was part of our package. The dinner did not include any form of drinks so I ordered a vodka orange.
The woman that served us did not bother to greet us even after I had greeted her !
She did not smile, she simply looked miserable and like she did not want to be there, to be honest I do not think I even heard her speak. We received our drinks and I took a sip and simply could not swallow the drink. The amount of vodka in the drink was unbearable, it was almost as if I was drinking pure vodka. Working in a bar for 2 years I am certainly no stranger as to what a vodka orange tastes like. We called the waitress over and she simply stared at us, she not once apologised or offered a solution, literally just stood there with her arms crossed. I was trying to ask her for simply just a juice instead of the vodka orange and it took forever it communicate with her . Eventually we got there and she brought over the juice , just putting on the table, no apology and then having the nerve to charge us for both drinks at the end.
It was coming to the end of the trip and we inquired about the price of the hotel shuttle to the airport. When we spoke to the woman she advised us that the hotel shuttle was cheaper than catching a taxi at a charge of 500THB, which we found to be quite high considering it was only 15 minutes. We inquired with a taxi driver on the price of a trip to the airport and he quoted us 400THB which he informed us was the set price.
Overall our stay at Samui Cliff View was highly dissapointing. After reading the standard prices for the room in which we stayed in I am completely shocked as to the price they are selling their rooms at. The hotel we stayed in when we were at Patong was half the price of the rate of 8000 THB per night that Samui Cliff View and offered 100 times the standard and service that we received here.
It is beyond me that they advertise this property as 4 star offering 4.5 star service, greetings and smiles are very rare. Anyone considering to stay here I would highly advise you to reconsider , do not destroy your time in this beautiful Island.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
11  Thank Elise M
Reviewed 19 August 2012 via mobile

After staying in various star places over Thailand, from 3* in Bangkok to a 1* hut on koh pha ngan and a 2* guesthouse in Chiangmai, we've got a some idea of the varying types of accommodation in the country.
This place was great when we arrived, friendly, chatty, 1 member of staff who assured us anything you need and we will be there. So if the previous reviewer didn't get any response I'm not sure why as every member of staff has been the same Thai greeting, big smiles, sawatdee etc. It may also be polite to learn a little language of the country you are visiting. Hello and thank you have been warmly accepted all over Thailand.(except Bangkok where it's almost expected).

In our room, flowers adorned the bed, lovely little private beach, pool great and super view. It was VERY clean.
Ate in the restaurant. Some of the nicest food we have had all trip. A little expensive, but still not the amount we would have spent inthe uk for the same food quality. It was the same food quality as a good restaurant. No chipped plates?!?! They had also had a big group of people in when we were there, and the chefs later on popped out of the kitchen looking a little tired but again, smiling.

Only downside for me was that the spa treatments are quite limited and all of them are in the higher bracket with no half hour options(that's enough for me) Shame, but not a great loss as the jacuzzi in the room will prove just sufficient for us as not spa lovers at home.

Overall, no faults. Very happy with service
Our safe key had been bent, so wouldn't work. Someone came down from reception within a few minutes, went away to get a new key and all was sorted about 20mins later. Brilliant service!

My advice, if you don't want somewhere away from LARGE crowds and noise, if you would not like amazing views, if you want to be able to walk out onto a massive beach, don't stay here.
If the steps are a problem, they provide you with a free 24 hour shuttle to and from the reception. Lamai beach they also have a free shuttle every hour back and forth.

Most hotels don't have irons. There is also an u e tray in your mini bar and free bottled water, so a tip- fill it up yourself if you want ice :-)

Great place! No other people complaining when we were here....none! Every person staying was very contented!

• Stayed: August 2012
3  Thank fizzlelems
Reviewed 15 August 2012

we had chosen samui cliff because of its location and reviews but when we got there it was a disappointing experience when it came to the service. after 2 days we ended up moving to another hotel that had it all together for nearly half the price.
none of the staff would greet us when passing, not even the gardners, cleaners or drivers and most noticeable, the reception staff. We arrived back to the hotel at 1am after attending a wedding and although the reception area was deserted at that time, we were not even acknowledged with a nod of the head-let alone a "good night". I passed staff many times during our two day stay and was horrified at the non communication, even after I greeted them!

Breakfast was not of high standard, with no covers on the stainless steel trays, open for bugs and cold on serving. Chipped crockery is not the kind of service I would expect at your hotel rating. There was little variety and not very much Thai cuisine. Tomatoes that are bruised and blackened and reheated sausages from the previous morning . Spaghetti bolognese for Breakfast-cold-is not appetising in Thailand, or anywhere for a breakfast choice

As for the coffee sachets- we had to call for extra coffee sachets and they would bring one at a time (considering that there was 2 of us staying in the room, had to make another call for more coffee), reflects very poor service!

As for the transport, your website states that you have a free shuttle, which we utilized twice. Thank you for that service

On arrival, our toilet had been used prior to our arrival,and not cleaned.
There was urine in the bowl, unflushed, and a dirty brown mark on the inside lid, which, when i took a tissue to, was able to clean myself. The shower tiles were covered in mould and so was the soap holder. I do not live like that in my residence, and certainly do not expect to have that greeting on my arrival to a hotel with such ratings. Maybe a look at your rooms may be required.

My wife dropped a packet of snacks on the veranda on the first night. We tried to clean it as best we could, and were shocked that on day three, after two visits from the lady cleaners, they were not attended to and still on the floor.

Our main purpose for visiting Koh samui was to attend a wedding the 7th. We needed some suit trousers ironed. Imagine our disbelief when asking for an iron, and calling housekeeping to our room to further explain, that we were told you did not have an iron on the site! How ridiculous is that!

To be charged $2.00 Australian for the glass of ice requested (a bucket was delivered-thank you) is ludicrous. I have enjoyed many world class hotels and never been charged for ice!

Communication with staff members was a very big hurdle, however I do not speak Thai so cannot judge. However, when employed in a tourist hotel, you would expect some basic Exchange of the English language to accommodate guests

Yes i was most taken by the view of our room. It was breathtaking! I did not know we were upgraded-thank you again. But it still does not deviate from the lack of service we received during our stay. The hotel was not alone chosen for the view. It is for the service and experience as a whole.

I do not know if it was an "off" week in your hotel, because nothing felt like the raving reviews I researched prior to booking, but it was certainly not what was expected or paid for, enough to make us repack our suitcases and find alternative accommodation midway during our holiday.
As I stated before, I am not in the habit of complaining; in fact I am most tolerant. This was an outrage though, especially taking into consideration that few hotel occupants. I would have expected a premium service with so little to attend to.

Room Tip: find another place
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
7  Thank suffs123
Reviewed 27 July 2012

This hotel does its name proud; the views from the lobby, restaurant, pool and rooms are absolutely stunning. Although the pictures on the website seem to promise a little more luxury than the place actually offers, the rooms are still spacious and comfortable enough, each with a private balcony, all facing the sea. Staff are friendly and helpful. The place being situated on a cliff means a lot of stair climbing to pool, restaurant and lobby, but fortunately you can always ring reception and within a few minutes a minivan arrives to drive you to the lobby.
Cliff View is situated right between Lamai and Chaweng (10 min. drive); the hotel offers an hourly drop off at Lamai beach until 6.00 pm; after that it is still easy to catch a songthaew or taxi (100 baht) to either place since the main road runs right behind the hotel lobby.
Not ideal for those who want to be within walking distance of markets bars, beach and nightlife, but certainly ideal for people who want peace and quiet yet have the noise and bustle of beach life within easy distance.
The hotel has a private beach, but not a sandy beach, so not ideal with children. The pool however is lovely.
Breakfast is included - adequate but nothing special.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple