“Perfect Holiday” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #10 of 62 Hotels in Maret
Darlington
“Perfect Holiday”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 June 2012

We stayed in Centara Villas in May, and held our wedding ceremony here. When we first arrived, there was a little problem with the first room we were given, but it was swiftly and painlessly dealt with, and the room we moved to was amazing. As it was our wedding, we chose a pool room. It overlooked one of the immaculate swimming pools, but was still very private. We had a lot of guests staying at this hotel, who also had various celebrations also – birthdays, engagements and anniversaries – and each of these received cakes, fruit, etc. The room was cleaned twice a day, and so was the pool. There were a lot of steps, but this didn’t faze us. As part of the wedding deal, we received an aromatherapy massage in the Spa – it was beautiful. The spa staff saved us on the morning of the wedding, as despite having massages booked in, they helped me and the bridesmaids get our nails sorted out – something they didn’t have to do. The preparation and planning of the wedding was run so well. Right from starting to plan the wedding, and emailing them to ask if I could book it, to emails on our return, the communication was excellent. Every request we had was granted and more. We arrived the day before the ceremony, but my parents arrived a few days before, and the manager had a meeting with them to discuss final preparations, and then with us when we arrived for the confirmations. We had around 40 guests at the ceremony, so opted for a Thai style BBQ buffet. The food was awesome – plenty of variety for everybody. As the day on a whole, we couldn’t fault it, everything flowed with no problems. The location is perfect for what we wanted, the beach is pretty much private to the hotel, so there was no jet skis flying around in the background. There are nicer beaches on Samui, but for what we wanted, this one suited us. We didn’t eat here a great deal, but only because we aren’t the type to stay on a hotel during our holiday, but when we did, it was slightly more expensive than the smaller places to eat, but still not expensive that I wouldn’t eat there. The food really is delicious. Also, the breakfast is good, there is cereals, fruit, cooked English, and Thai dishes. They have happy hour 3 times a day, where you get drinks for buy 1 get one free. The staff couldn’t do enough for anybody to make them feel welcome. Each member of staff was friendly and helpful. We have been to Thailand a number of times already, but this holiday was by far the best we had. I would highly recommend this hotel for anyone’s wedding, honeymoon, celebration, or just a romantic getaway.

3 Thank Sam B
GM C, The Staff & Management at Centara Villas Samui, responded to this review, 6 June 2012
Dear Sam,

Thank you for sharing your wonderful review. The team and I were delighted to read you enjoyed your stay and celebration with us so much. It was a pleasure having you with stay with us and meeting you and your husband, your father and extended family.

Thank you so much for your lovely compliments: we are so grateful. We enjoyed making your wedding celebrations special. Feedback like yours really makes our day and gives us the motivation to keep it up.

We hope to have you back again soon.

The Staff & Management at Centara Villas Samui

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (387)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Birmingham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 June 2012

If your looking for a place away from the hussle and bussle of Chewabg beach then this is the place. Small hotel means its quiet which for me was a good thing. Only problem with this hotel is the many steps up and down to your room, the beach, breakfast and reception. You will build muscles in your legs. Rooms are a good size. Staff are friendly. Highly recommend.

• Stayed May 2012
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Sanj7
South Wales United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 May 2012

We stayed at Centara Villas from 8th May 2012 - 23rd May 2012 and we had the most perfect honeymoon we could have ever wished for. The hotel is stunning, the pools were just what you wanted, the views of the beach are amazing and the hotel staff could not do enough for you. They were so welcoming. When we arrived we stayed in a Deluxe Oceanview Villa but were supposed to be in a Deluxe Spa Villa, both were fantastic. They couldn't apologise enough for the mistake and the following day we were upgraded. As we were honeymooners we received a honeymoon cake and bowl of fruit and that was a lovely touch. Whilst there it was also my husbands birthday and he too received a birthday cake and fruit.

We also had 2 free complimentary cocktails every night at the coral bar. Happy hour is 3 times a day! We used our complimentary ticket first and then had the buy one get one free cocktails and this saved us some money. Amazing cocktails looking out at the beach whilst the resident duo who were fantastic (Jon and Michael) played cover songs. They too made us feel so welcome. The rooms were immaculate, cleaned twice a day and our jacuzzi was also also cleaned twice a day.

For my husbands birthday I arranged to have the Romantic Dinner on the beach and watched them construct a gazebo made from palm trees. This was a truly amazing meal and a special memory we took back home with us. It is around £80 but believe me the food was spectacular and the service fantastic. I also asked the staff at the hotel where I could buy my husband a birthday card with 'husband' in Thai. They asked me to return the following day where I was met by a lovely Thai woman who had bought a pile of cards and then gave me a Thai writing lesson, so I therefore wrote the card myself in Thai and this was a great experience.

We also opted for the baht bonanza and deposited 10,000 and they gave us 5000 bht. I agree with other reviews, well worth it if you are there for 10 days or more but not if you are there for a week. You can use the baht bonanza for Spas too so we enjoyed an amazing massage in Spa Cenvaree. You also get 30% discount if you go again.

Like I said earlier, the staff could not do enough for you and during my stay I developed very bad prickly heat, after all, the weather was great and around 34 degrees most days. After 6 days I was at the end of my tether and spoke with the hotel staff about seeing a doctor. They immediately put me in one of their cars and took me to the doctors and stayed with me whilst I was seen. I was given medication and they brought me back to the hotel and did not charge us a penny. I recommend anyone who suffers with prickly heat, start the anti-histamines well before you leave for your hols.

We used the shuttle bus to go to the local towns of Lamai and Chaeweng for 50 bht one way for the two of us and this was cheap. You do need to telephone reception to book onto the bus as it is first come first served and go to reception about 10 mins before to collect your ticket. Other than that, we used local taxis from local restaurants, mainly the barracuda, 300 bht to Lamai, 500 bht to Chaeweng. The barracuda and fishermans are a 5 minute walk across the beach. Both restaurants serve delicious meals for next to nothing! The Barracuda had the best food but the Fishermans outlet had the better atmosphere. Either one I am sure you will be impressed with. We dined there quite a few times, a meal for two plus rice and drinks for around £10.

The cool bar is along the beach, just follow the lights and Duong and Un are amazing hosts. Just sit back and enjoy the peace and quiet and if you are like us enjoy the reggae music and cocktails that were also very cheap. On our last night Duong and Un released lanterns into the sky for us as a leaving gesture. You can also order food from there. They ring your order through to the Barracuda and they deliver it to the bar. It really isn't that far to the barracuda but one night my husband wasn't hungry and so I ordered a meal for myself, fantastic. They also run trips. We went on a boat trip with the Barracuda, went snorkeling, went to a deserted island to relax and then another island for dinner and a Jungle Safari with the Cool Bar, to the wateralls, to see the mummified monk, buddhas magic garden, elephant trekking and a meal on top of the mountain which was delicious. We thoroughly enjoyed both trips and they were alot cheaper than going on the hotel trips.

As far as the food in the hotel is concerned, it is more expensive than local restaurants, however, still cheaper than back home and the food is top class. We opted for bed and breakfast and again there was so much food to choose from and it certainly sets you up for the day.

The beach is extremely clean and the water is so warm!! You can ask the beach staff for beach towels and snorkeling kits for no extra charge. They also serve food and drink to you on the beach too if you want to be as lazy as we were. After all we were on honeymoon!

If you are looking for nightlife then Lamai and Chaeweng are the places to go. We had some really fantastic nights out and ate the street food in Lamai, Amazing!!!

Warning about rain, if you feel two drops of rain fall on you.....run!!! The rain is something you welcome as it can be very humid this time of year but it really pours down. It rains for maybe 20 mins and then the sun is back out. Also mosquito repellant is advised at night, especially the legs and ankles, although you didn't know you had been bitten until the next day so it wasn't as if we were pestered.

The only downfall I could find to write on this review (which had nothing to do with the hotel) was that if you are an animal lover like myself, you may be disheartened by the conditions of some of the tigers and tiger cubs and leopards at the namuang safari park. These beautiful animals were on chains that were far too short. Out of choice we would not have gone there but it was included as part of the jungle safari. Other guests complained about the conditions at the local aquarium too, not somewhere I would care to visit. There are alot of steps in the hotel but you have probably read this on reviews already. It kept us fit and wasn't as bad as people have said but not good if you are wheelchair bound. Also, driving out there was an experience on its own, fasten up and just don't look ahead!! You could rent a moped for 200 bht a day but to be honest, I valued my life too much.

Centara Villas, Koh Samui and the surrounding restaurants and bars really made the perfect relaxing honeymoon for us. It was just what we wanted. Everything you could wish for in a hotel and if you want a party, just jump in a taxi for 15 mins to Lamai. I can't stress enough how much the staff cater for your needs and anyone going there for a honeymoon, I am sure will come back with the most beauiful memories

Room Tip: Deluxe Spa villa was amazing! Deluxe Oceanview was beautiful and to be honest, I think from reading...
13 Thank Greta E
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 May 2012

I visited with my friend at the beginning of may,it is a dream place to be if you are looking for somewhere away from hustle and bustle. Cannot fault anything, people mention the amount of stairs but after a couple of days even they are a pleasure because there is no rush and the views every step you take are magical.The view from our villa was a vista of greenery, flowers and tiny birds tweeting gently.Local shop and laundry service just a short walk away plus some restaurants which I recommend but restaurant in hotel also fabulous.Trips into shopping areas laid on regularly by hotel, a short 15ish minute trip.
For me, the resort was all I needed to fall in love with life again.
The sea a minute walk from resort, lots of space, peace and can walk for miles along the beach.

Room Tip: Personally 375 was great.Corner suites are large and sunny with more privacy but A/C a tad noisy if...
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends
3 Thank karolina r
Gloucestershire,England
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 May 2012

We stayed here during March this year.Unfortunately my wife had a fall halfway through our two week stay and broke her femur. She was taken to the Bangkok Hospital in Chewang and after an operation and a six day stay we had to transfer to another Hotel which had good disabled facilities for an extended stay of ten days. The number of steps and at the Centara made it unsuitable for us to return after she was discharged.
One lesson we learned from this is that of having good travel insurance.
As far as this Hotel was concerned the pluses were the Beach and the Staff-both were excellent.
We were on room and breakfast-the room and facilities were ok and the breakfast selection was good.
We did not have dinner in the Restaurant as it was far too expensive and like most of the guests here opted to go down the hill and eat in the Barracuda or Fishermans Outlet and then go on to the Cool Bar for a drink or two.
One of the things that made the Hotel expensive was that the Hotel added a local tax to the bill and a 10% service charge,None of the other places we patronised did this.
They also charged silly prices for Wi-Fi [about £12 an hour] whereas you could go to the Barracuda Restaurant and get it for free.

Room Tip: There are a lot of steps-the Hotel is on the side of a steep hill. Best to have a room halfway down...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Phil
Durham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 May 2012

We stayed at the centura for my birthday and couldnt have wished for a more perfect holiday. we arrived on April 13 which was Thai new year, what a treat to see people being soaked as we drove from the airport. Centura villas was in a perfect location for us, but could be too quiet for some. Also there are alot of steps from the reception to the beach but we were very fit when we got home. We had villa 201, just left from reception and had a fabulous balcony, so spacious with jacuzzi. There had been a mix up and we were suppose to have a pool room, anyway, cut a long story short, we were offered a pool room a week later but i declined as the room was the same size but in a pool room, there is a droning noise that come from the pool filter that is there 24/7 so we chose to stay in the jacuzzi room...........perfection :-)....food in the hotel was expensive but we never ate there, we ate in barracude and fishermans outlet, both were equally nice....fishermans maybe a bit more professional because they had more staff but the barracuda had a homely feel to it............say hello to "nut" if you go to barracuda, she was lovely :-)...........
The hotel did offer a bus service but we never ventured out in an evening, we were happy to have our meal, a drink then home.......not the place to go if you was a clubbing holiday....

all in all, the villas are in a fabulous place and i would return for a total chill-out relaxation holiday.....some people have said its not 5 star but its paradise on earth........depends on what you want from a holiday.

the staff are very friendly especially the bar staff....complementay cocktails was a bonus.. breakfasts had an excellent choice......no complaints whatsoever.

One problem I had was there were a few stray dogs around the hotel, (i dont like dogs so I had a problem with them....the hotel staff did try to chase them away but some stupid people chose to pet and feed them which made the situation worse..........and you also get one bunch of holiday makers that have no respect for others.............loud foul mouths.

if you are thinking of going...........do not hesitate. go book now :-)

Room Tip: Rooms near reception are the furthest away from the beach, depends if you want to walk the 134 steps...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
6 Thank pink-sparkly-shoes
Johannesburg, Gauteng, South Africa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 May 2012

Centara made our holiday such a memorable one. We had the best time and absolutely loved the resort and staff! I have already started telling everyone they need to make a trip to Koh Samui and specifically to stay at this resort because of the amazing facilities and the kind and friendly staff.

We stayed in one of the Garden Villa's which was far better than we expected it to be - very clean and nicely decorated with an great bathroom! We upgraded to the Pool Villa based on the other Trip Advisor reviews and were blown away - if you can afford it, do it! We were even treated an extra night for free which was a wonderful surprise.

We stayed for 10 nights and could easily have stayed in the resort all day every day with the amazing beach, pool areas and near perfect weather!

We felt welcome and important all through our stay at Centara - the staff are exceptional. Even when language was sometimes a barrier, a plan was always made to sort our needs out promptly.

We booked most of our day trips / tours and scooter rental through the nearby Fishermen's Bar down the road but prices for both were fairly similar all over the island and only slightly higher from the resort itself.

We made frequent use of the nearby restaurant, also down the road, called Barracude because we felt it was the best food in the vacinity and offered free wifi [the wifi at the resort was fairly unreliable and expensive].

Make sure to get to the resort's bar for the evening happy hours - the vibe was always good, the cockatils were then affordable and most nights were accompanied by a guitar duo who played great covers!

Keep up the good work - hope to see you all again soon!

Room Tip: Pool Villa's are amazing!
7 Thank thebluetyphoon
Also consider these accommodations in or near Maret
Imperial Boat House Beach Resort
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,447 reviews
Paradise Beach Resort
Paradise Beach Resort
#6 of 30 in Mae Nam

Been to Centara Villas Samui? Share your experiences!