Centara Villas Samui
US$643
US$154
Agoda.com
Banyan Tree Samui(Lamai Beach)
US$878
US$729
US$197
Agoda.com
Lamai Buri Resort(Lamai Beach)(Great Value!)
US$39
US$37
Lamai Wanta(Lamai Beach)(Great Value!)
US$70
US$56
Agoda.com
Am Samui Palace(Lamai Beach)(Great Value!)
US$76
US$56
Marina Villa(Lamai Beach)
US$48
US$45
Agoda.com
Thai House Beach Resort(Lamai Beach)(Great Value!)
US$108
US$105
The Kala Samui(Maret)(Great Value!)
US$596
US$124
Sallamai Resort(Lamai Beach)(Great Value!)
US$57
US$48
1,729 results
All reviewsbaht bonanzacool barspa villafishermans outletshuttle buscoral barbutterfly gardensister hotelour honeymoonkoh samuiindividual villasreef restaurantmanager timtable tennisfree cocktailwalking difficultiesa la carte menu
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 22 June 2014

My partner and I were recommended Centrara Villas Samui by Flight Centre (Frankston branch) as the perfect honeymoon destination. We were told that because it was somehow partnered with Flight Centre we would receive a special discount and honeymoon deal which included a cake and free drinks daily. We didn't do a lot of research into the hotel so we went ahead and booked after taking a quick look at the great reviews on trip advisor.

I want to do this review in the most honest way possible so that you know i'm not just looking at everything from a negative point of view. I'm trying to do it with both positive and negative parts so you can have a full understanding. I don't want to say that everything about this hotel is bad – because it's not – it's a nice hotel – there are just some things you should be aware of before booking here.

First of all, Centara Villas is in a place called “Maret”. It's about a 10 minute drive from Lamai, and around 30 minutes from Chaweng. When you drive from the airport, you go past these destinations and then slowly come towards Maret and realise you're in the middle of no where. There is no shops, or minimarts or really anything around the hotel at all. There are two restauraunts down the road that you can walk to (5 to 10 minute walk, uphill on the way back) and that's it. The rest of the surroundings is just like run down fields and nothingness. If you hired a motorbike you could probably venture a bit further and you would get to another restaurant and a minimart but it's definitely too far to walk to there (maybe 40 to 50 minutes)... but really there's not much point walking there because again after that there's more nothingness. I've stayed in Thailand various times and have never been to a hotel that is situated in basically the middle of no where.

Anyway – we were a little bit aware that we wouldn't be in the middle of the shops but were told by Flight Centre there was a shuttle bus that went to Lamai and Chaweng. In Lamai, the shuttle stops in a street off the main road and in Chaweng the Shuttle stops at Centara Grand which is like the sister hotel to Centara Villas. What Flight Centre didn't tell us is that you have to pay for the Shuttle (generally free at other hotels) and it cost my partner and I $10AU a day to go to Chaweng or maybe about $6AU to get to Lamai. When you stay for a hotel for 12 nights, that's over $100 just in travel to other towns. The shuttle is cheaper than a taxi but that still added up to be a lot of money for us. Of course, you dont NEED to travel to other towns provided that you are happy to stay only at the hotel and eat at the hotel and be at the hotel 24/7.

Anyway, bar the hotels location there are still a few other things I would like to note down. For example, the hotel rooms. We stayed in a Pool Villa (209) and we were situated right on the edge of the hotel grounds. At first the room seemed far away from the reef cafe (breakfast), lobby and 3 hotel pools but it really wasn't that far away. The only thing bad about it was the stairs. To get to the Reef Cafe from our room there is approx 88 stairs (one way) and to the lobby approx 94 stairs (one way). If you are in a room near the reef cafe its 159 stairs to the lobby. Maybe this doesn't seem like much but when its 40 degrees it can start to become a bit of a pain. My partner and I are young and quite fit so it was manageable for us, but if you are elderly, have small children, are pregnant of have any sort of physical issues I would not recommend this hotel at all. There is no proper wheelchair access – half the ramps on the stairs end mid way? So like you get halfway down the flight of stairs on the ramp then there is only stairs left and no ramp? It's really weird and probably not helpful if you are actually in a wheelchair. I have seen the manager say on other reviews that the stairs add to the hotel and make it more charming or interesting or something.... but it doesn't do either of those things.

The room that we stayed in itself was nice. We walked in thinking 'wow this is good'. The pool attached to our room was nice too and we had a little deck that looked off into the jungle. As a part of our 'honeymoon deal' through flight centre we also walked in to petals on the bed and a cake saying happy honeymoon. Unfortunately, they obviously just keep honeymoon cakes handy in the kitchen for when people come, but don't make them fresh and the cake was covered in some sort of cream that was spoiled (off). One spoon in my mouth and I had to spit it out. It was terrible. Still, a nice gesture. Felt bad when we had to give it back barely touched and I tried to explain the cream was spoiled but the staff member didn't understand what I was saying.

On the first night in the room we woke up to the most peculiar sounds and turned on the lights and found a gecko in the room. We realised later that the geckos can come through holes in the roof where the airconditioning is. The geckos would run up and down the walls all day and night at various times and the room was also flooded with ants. There was no ant nest so you couldn't stop the problem. You'd just be falling asleep and randomly find ants on you, or the bedding or practically anywhere. The worst part about the animals in the room was probably the snake.... The thing they try to cover up about the rooms is that in the bathroom there is no back wall. There is fly wire over wooden slats, that are covered by a wooden curtain. You can't pull the curtains up or down really so we didn't notice that there was no proper wall until the snake came out from the back of the bathroom while my partner was on the toilet. My partner was screaming so I ran in and threw towels at the snake and it slithered back out. We didn't see it again but there was no way to stop it coming in because – again – there was no back walls and there was holes in the roof. Anything could come in.

On the positive side, the staff did make an effort to keep the room clean. They were great with making up the room and giving fresh towels when required etc. They were also very friendly. The bummer to them cleaning the room was that you've only given one key on check in and we would leave the little electricity tag in the room to keep the room cool while we were at breakfast, or out on the shuttle, and when they cleaned the room they would take the electricity tag out to stop the airconditioning. The issue here is that without the tag the electricity for the fridge goes off too... So we would come back to our room and all our food was melted and drinks hot. It's pretty annoying to only have one key and to come back to a hot room, but you just deal with it because you can't stop the staff taking out the tag when you're not around.

Whats next? Breakfast. Breakfast was pretty good. The taste of the food was impressive, although I agree with some over reviews of the hotel that said there wasn't much variety. Lots of hotels in Thailand change the types of food on offer daily but Centara Villas doesn't change the food really at all, but I mean – it's not too bad because what you're eating is good quality. Breakfast lasts until about 10.45 but you really need to get there before 9.45 if you want fresh food and juice. The juice would always run out and was rarely refilled. My three issues with breakfast (apart from that it can be a hike getting there and back) is that a) there is no fly nets on the food – so there are constantly bugs and flys all over the mini muffins, in the cereal, in the honey and jams and hot food... b) the pineapple was always off it tasted terrible.... and c) that one day when we were having breakfast in the airconditioned room there was a mouse. It was next to our table running on the floor. I can handle snakes, but I hate mice and this completely put me off eating breakfast.

Other than all the above, the only other thing I would comment on is probably the beach. The photos of the beach on the hotel look great, I mean you can see it's a bit rocky but theres still enough beach to be enjoyed around the rocks. When we got there however the sand under the water is completely green. I don't even know how to explain it so I will upload photos – but let me put it this way – we didn't go to the beach once (we are beach people) and the whole time we were there we only saw about 4 people in the water. Sometimes people would sit on the sand, but they would swim in the pool because the beach just wasn't pleasant.

Coming to an end now!

Last thing I will say is about the hotel having no proper waiting room on the day you leave. Upon checkout, my partner and I asked if it would be possible to stay in our room because our flight didn't leave until 3pm when checkout was at 12. We were told the hotel was fully booked and that we could go to the air conditioned gym to wait until our transfer to the airport arrived. The gym is located in the Butterfly Building over the road from the hotel – the airconditioned gym we were to stay in for the next three hours was just that. There was no where to sit (but on running equipment or the floor) and and there wasn't even an inside toilet, just a shower. This put a real damper to the end of our trip. We basically just had to lay on the gym floor and pray that no one would come in and start using equipment because we'd be completely in the way. The gym is small, fine for working out but not fine as a waiting room for guests. We found out later that there was another waiting area which we weren't told about – but this was just an outside couch below the lobby. In 35 degree heat it would have been terrible to just sit there all afternoon. I should also mention that because there is no storage room or proper waiting room our luggage just had to sit in the lobby unattended for the whole time we were across the road, which didn't exactly feel safe. This end to the holiday was made a little more disappointing by the fact it was clear throughout our stay that the hotel was NOT fully booked. There were various empty villas throughout the hotel.

So, in conclusion, my advice is that if you are keen on Centara as a company or a hotel brand,book Centara Grand, Chaweng, not Centrara Villas. You go to Centara Grand when you are dropped off by the shuttle bus and it looked amazing. It was large, it was in a great position in Chaweng within walking distance to everything. The beach was amazing. The staff were amazing. It's a proper hotel so you aren't likely to get snakes, geckos and ants all over you and the bed. You aren't faced with masses of stairs. Even if you like the idea of the privacy and quiet atmosphere of Centara Villas, im sure you could still get this at Centara Grand. From memory, I think you can get some rooms with private pools so you can still enjoy the privacy and then go to the bigger pools or walk to the shops if you change your mind. At Centrara Villas you don't have this option if you change your mind – you're just stuck there...

If i've put you off Centara all together then i've been to Chaweng Regent before and still heard good things about it from other people we met in Koh Samui this year … so maybe consider that? There is so much out there. I travel to Thailand regularly so I like to try new things and I just wouldn't recoommend Centara Villas at all. It might be a bit cheaper than other places but one thing about travelling is that if you want to do it well you shouldn't skimp on the money you spend booking your accommodation! And you probably should do the research and not just trust flight centre or another travel agent like we did this time. Read all the reviews and make your own decision about what will suit you best.

Room Tip: Choose something with an ocean view. Ocean view rooms are located better within the hotel because they are near buffet breakfast and 3 pools. The closer you get to the lobby the more stairs there are every day to climb.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Ng91
GM C, General Manager at Centara Villas Samui, responded to this reviewResponded 23 June 2014

Dear Ng91
Thank you for spending the time to write such an in depth and detailed review, your comments have been passed on to all concerned parties and I will address some of the issues you have raised including the issue of a snake.

We are delighted that you found the Hotel very nice and took full advantage of the low cost shuttle service between here and Chaweng (22 km). You have detailed the cost of the shuttle service, 80 Baht each way from Centara Villas to Centara Grand (approximately 5 AUD return), one piece of information we should add is that the price on average by Taxi is 700 Baht each way (approximately 44 AUD return) and this is why we feel the shuttle represents excellent value for money.
Your observations regarding the Hotel being in a more remote location are absolutely correct and it is something that has been written about and discussed very openly which you already highlighted. The stairs are also well documented and can be a challenging, that is why we do not recommend the Hotel for people with mobility issues you mentioned elderly and heavily pregnant as examples. The ramps on the stairs that you have mentioned are not intended for wheelchairs, they are actually there to assist the Housekeepers in delivering supplies to the rooms so that they can complete their service, a service which you said was good, we do not promote the hotel as suitable for wheelchair access and therefore the ramps are adequate for their purpose.
Food at Centara Villas is prepared daily as are the Honeymoon Cakes are delivered to the rooms, your comments regarding the cream not being fresh have been noted and we will continue to maintain the best possible standards and try to make sure cakes are delivered and consumed promptly. The rooms in the Hotel are villa style built on a hillside leading through a tropical landscape down to the ocean and because of the climate there will always be a certain amount of insect and wildlife that you would expect to see, Gecko's are incredibly small and can get into the rooms in almost all of the resorts in tropical climates and it is almost inevitable that you will encounter one at some point during a stay in Samui. Rather differently, ants are attracted to food and if food is spilled or left unattended they might well come, this is why the Housekeepers clean the rooms twice daily and clear the rubbish. If any guest has an issue with ants we will gladly come and spray the room, just inform the team and they will assist immediately. With regards to having snakes in the room, we cannot state this strongly enough, we do not have any reports on record having ever received information about there being a snakes in a guest room and would like to ensure guests this is something we take very seriously and if we had been informed we would have taken immediate and appropriate action. There are snakes indigenous to Samui and fortunately predominantly non venomous but we are happy to report that there have been no incidents reported at Centara Villas regarding guests and snakes. The rooms have been constructed in a way so as to maximize the ventilation, in a hot and humid tropical environment it is vital to allow ventilation in bathrooms to prevent bad odors and mildew, at the same time air conditioning and climate control has been added to enhance the experience when you are in the room, as part of our commitment to protecting the environment we do request that air conditioning should be shut off when you are not in the room, however if it is something you feel very strongly about please let us know and we can make alternative arrangements. The mini bar fridge should not be connected to the main circuit and should remain on, we have sent the engineering team to the room to check this and it seems to be working however we will continue to monitor this and make sure it operates correctly.
Food standards and hygiene are imperative to a Hotels reputation and it is very regrettable that during the low season Samui does experience issue with flies, that is why the pastries, salad bar etc are fitted with roll top covers however some food can be left exposed and your comments regarding this have been passed onto the Food and Beverage team so that they may find some solutions.
The water levels in the lagoon do vary at different times of the year, as previously mentioned here the months for the low water levels are April through July and there is nothing that we can do to control this natural event that happens in the whole of Samui.
Checking out of the room is at 1200hrs, an industry standard, we have 14 private pool villas available in Centara Villas and these are more often than not fully occupied so it is always difficult to keep the room for a late check out, if we are not full then a day use room can be provided at an extra charge and we are always happy to oblige if it is required. The fitness gym is not intended as an air conditioned waiting room but we do recommend it if guest wishes to take a late shower before they depart, perhaps there was some misunderstanding on this, we do have an air-conditioned room available in the restaurant where guest can choose to take a leisurely lunch or drinks while they wait for their transfer if they wish.
At the end of your review you offered some invaluable advice on doing the research into a Hotel personally before booking rather than allowing others to make the decision and we agree that is always the best way.

Reviewed 21 June 2014

My experience and Centara villas was good. I had come from the craziness of Bangkok Songkran and I wanted a place to relax. I wish I had chosen a different resort as it was too isolated for a solo traveler. This place is great for a honey moon and or family vacation but to isolated for a solo traveler who wants to meet others at night. You come for the resort and you stay at the resort. Rooms were great, food was excellent and the beach was perfect.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Marc T

Dear Marc T
We are delighted that you had a good experience, your comment regarding the staff has been passed on, hopefully we will see you again soon.

Reviewed 21 June 2014

Just got back from a 2 week holiday in Koh Samui and can say Centara Villas was a lovely place to stay whilst on holiday. We stayed in a garden villa and it was lovely, i feel paying for a pool/spa villa would be a waste of money as the are 3 pools all close together next to a bar which always have space for sunbathing. ( don't think the sea view is nice enough to justify the extra cost either)

List of Positives
- breakfast was amazing - so much choice and a lovely selection of juices
- villas spacious and kept clean all the time
- safety deposit box free to use
- kayaks, snorkels, gym and beach games all free
- Baht Bonanza good idea 10,000 = 15,000 (200 = 300) as the where only a restaurants and bars in the surrounding area.
- shuttle bus great idea - great price
- thursdays night = mangers night = free cocktails - everyone likes free booze
- beach kept clean and beautiful place to relax
- staff helpful and polite

Negatives
- 10% Service Charge and 17% government tax on every bill (including drinks) which makes the price of food and drink more expensive than the rest of Koh Samui - Only place we saw this type of charge anywhere on Koh Samui
- water in sea not clear, full of sediment and rocks, millpond - impossible for snorkelling, if your brave(very) you can go past the rocks and look at coral but its extremely shallow and in my opinion a dangerous idea..
- 30 Pound cost for late check out (3 hours)
- Baht Bonanza bill was calculated wrong - we were given "final bill' on our 2nd from last day to check - we believed we had some money left as it was stated on bill so spent the money, then when we came to check out we owed the hotel money!! (this was because the staff hadn't put all the charges on from from our last week) This we felt was cheeky as we didn't want to go over the BB we had already paid for.

Other Points
- not that many steps, don't be put of by people complaining about them..

-fisherman's restaurant was great, much cheaper than the hotel and a lot more tasty! you could get 2 curries, 2 rice and 2 beers for 6 pounds. - Go to the fisherman's and book your trips, the women that works there gives you money off when you book multiple trips.

-if you like snorkelling the best trips are to Koh Than near by island - half a day trip - we saw Sting Rays, Giant Clams, Butterfly Fish, Parrot Fish, Clown Fish and Anemones and lots of different coral and smaller fish
- the trip to Koh tao is also a brilliant trip water is very clear and worth going if you like snorkelling, brilliant corals to be seen, the only thing is that its a long day - nearly 12 hours. so do this in the middle of your trip.

Overall great holiday, 1 message to Tim - more frequent shuttle busses to Lami and Chaweng would have made our holiday more enjoyable so less waiting around. especially in the morning as the first is at 11 - lots of your guests where early birds and had their breakfast at 7/8 so would want to go out after that..

Thanks to Centara Staff and i hope this is helpful for future guests.

Em

Room Tip: Get a Garden Villa and go visit Koh Samui :)
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear _Em_1234567989
Thank you for the review Great Holiday and a Great Review. Our apologies for the Baht Bonanza mix up, we are looking into it and trying to establish what happen so that it can be avoided in the future.
I do have to highlight one small area amongst the negatives, service charge at 10% and Government Tax at 7% (not 17%) is standard through Hotels in Thailand as it is in most countries in the world (although the tax varies). We have never applied 17% tax and I am hoping this was just a typing error.
We are delighted you enjoyed your stay and look forward to seeing you again.

Reviewed 21 June 2014

I hate writing negative reviews but I am going to be honest there were good bits and bad bits.

After reading all the reviews I thought this would be the perfect place to spent 10 days. I liked the idea that it was in a secluded remote location. YES it is very secluded and remote so make sure this is really what you want before booking It got a bit boring for us and I know that I made a mistake and should have booked some where that was a little livelier outside the hotel.

On arrival our checking was OK the reception staff were a little frosty faced and we were asked for a credit card for a deposit, I told them we did not have one so they just kept my passport to we left.

We were then taken to our deluxe garden villa our home for the next 10 nights, well we were in it for 2 nights as I asked to more room as the location of the first room for a bit away from the centre and the only view was another villa. Villa number 2 was much better and we had a slight view of the sea and it was more central in the complex.
The rooms are kept clean and the towels changed every day, very nice stylish bathroom. But for a few evenings there was no hot water so it was a cold shower for us.
Nice comfy big bed. Sun loungers and table and chairs on the patio area so no complains with the room.
One thing that really surprised me is that there were no bath robes you apparently only get these if you stay in the Jacuzzi or pool villas so that was a bit disappointing. Also you get 2 and only 2 tea bags a day and 3 creamers and 3 coffee sachets so if you like your tea take your own.

The food all the reviews I read said how fantastic the food was we just found it average. Breakfast was buffet style and had flies all over the food which was not covered this was the same with the evening buffet. The food on the main menu is better than the buffet.
Coral bar is quite small and could do with being slightly bigger service was a little slow at busier times and quite expensive when not happy hour, the drinks are not buy one get one free at happy hour just a cheaper price just watch the bart disappear from your pockets if you spend to much time here.

The 3 Swimming pools do not have a lot of beds around them and became full quite quickly so you need to be up by 7.30am with your towel at the ready if you want a bed by the pool. Plenty of beds on the beach though.

The Spa we had a spa package and it was really amazing I recommend treating yourself to a treatment or 2. Our package included a spa home gift which we did not get.

We stared the Bart bonanza and paid it the min amount but we did not bother to top it up as we were not to keen on the food so ate at the restaurants just down the road most nights but it did pay for the spa package.

Use the mini bus service to get out of the hotel, it's really good and well worth the price.

If you want 5* luxury your going to be disappointed everything is a little tired and worn looking.

Beautiful grounds which are kept clean and tidy and the best bit was loads of amazing butterfly's flying around.

Would I recommend Centara Villas yes I probably would if your going on your honeymoon, It just did not give me the luxury that I like when I am on holiday, each to there own.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Sian R

Dear mickeydog01
Thank you for the review, we are delighted that you mention you would recommend Centara Villas, it is unfortunate that you felt you would have preferred a busier location but it is good that you mention it, it will help future guest make and informed decision.

Reviewed 20 June 2014

Hello just back from 2 Weeks at Centara Villas and there is not a bad thing to say about it except Wow.
We had Villa 316 just by the lower pool which over looked the Beach and Bar what a view.
Yes there is a lot of steps up to the reception but you only need to do to get Shuttle Bus which is great value at 40 or 80 Bart one way.
The Restaurant had some of the best food we had and very well presented and very good value if you took out the Bart Bonanza which is a must, you pay 10,000Barts and the Hotel give you 5,000Bart extra or 20,000Bart and you get 12,500 Bart extra.
We did try the Fishermans Restaurant a couple of times which we could not fault as well.
If you need any help with travel advise go and see Ede and Tho next door to the Fishermans Restaurant great prices.
Once again would like to say a Big Thank You too all the Staff who could not do enough for you and were always smiling

Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank 147woody

Dear 147woody
Thank you for spending the time to write a review, your kind comments are appreciated and will be passed to the team. Thank you for highlighting the value for money offered by the baht bonanza, we are delighted you took full advantage of both that and the shuttle service.
Hopefully we will see you again soon.