“Very good hostel, bad location”

and 1 more site!
Ananas Hostel Koh Samui
Ranked #11 of 81 Speciality Lodging in Maret
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Very good hostel, bad location”
Reviewed 16 January 2014 via mobile

The hostel is super nice. It is clean and new and comfortable. The owner Tony is there every day so the property is spotless. The common areas are super nice (especially the pool area) and they have other services like a small cafe and laundry which come in handy. Biggest con is the location. Many taxis do not really know where it is (Tony provided instructions in thai for us to give to the taxi drivers). As other reviewers shared, Tony can arrange transportation for you (his own driver) but it is not for free whatsoever. He charges 100 baht for each person to go to Lamai and 200 baht to Chewang. There is really no other options so in a sense you are stuck with it. In the end while the price might be very good if you are planning to go out and explore the island you will spend a lot of money on taxis. Personally I would have liked to stay closer to the action.

Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank dlichi

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Aix-en-Provence, France
Reviewed 12 January 2014

I spent 3 nights in Ananas hostel. I have been very disappointment. The hostel is in the middle of nowhere so you have to take a taxi every time you need to move. Taxi are very expensive and they decide the price cause they know that you don't have many choice unless you rent a motorbike!
The Hostel looks very clean once I had lunch and I found hairs in my rice and in my mango shake :(
In addition Tony pretends that he gives you the best prices for the excursion but it is not true! I went to Ang thong Marine Park and I figured out that everyone paid less than me: "Tony told me "this is a special price for my customers but don't tell to the others tourists!!" ......now I understand why!
The design of the hostel is nice and modern, the swimming pool also but it is not enough to make a pleasant stay!!!
I definitely don't recommend this place!

• Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank Myriam B
AnanasSamui, Owner at Ananas Hostel Koh Samui, responded to this review, 18 January 2014
Your 3 nights stay with us was the time when I am really proud of my staff of how they handle bad attitude and rudeness of the customer. They answer your questions professionally, polite and with smile. Although, the problems were not related to the hostel but they were always there for you and more than happy to help.
As one of the tour agency on the island, we are confident about our price. The research has been done daily to other agency to make sure that we are offering lower price to our customer which you can check the price on the internet or with other agency before you book the tour with us.
In this case, the full price was clearly written in print on the brochure that you brought to us, showing that you are given a lower price and hundreds of customers that we send to this trip came back and told us the people on the boat paid the full price as seen on the website and brochure.
(We guarantee to refund the balance immediately if you have any formal legal evidence)
Why do we have to give discount?
We are running a hostel, our customer travel on budget, that is the answer.
The food with foreign object will be replace by a new cook dish or drink when customer inform us.
Finally, we hope that there will be a place which suit your needs and please enjoy your trip.
Millstone, New Jersey
Reviewed 10 January 2014

I should have not even gone up the driveway when the cab driver from the airport kept saying "not good, not good." But having stayed at some pretty bad places, I was up for the adventure. If your looking to stay in a hospital setting with a pool in the booneys this is the place! It is very clean, but it's not 5 min from the beach, it's five min to walk down the driveway! Rooms are incredibly small, bathrooms, small and awkward. Owner, well he's another story. A big red flag for travelers is a Friday night with everyone staying there, watching a horrible movie packed into the TV area, "Too far to do anything at night" Past ten, no restaurants or any form of life within a twenty minute drive. After canceling our stay, the owner went on a psychotic tangent making threats and sending vile emails, threatened to have us "detained" and "locked up abroad." Ive never heard of such a thing, as cancellations are a nature of Travel. Paying the fee to do so is fine on our end, but the rest, is totally uncalled for and unacceptable.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank TravelManus
AnanasSamui, Owner at Ananas Hostel Koh Samui, responded to this review, 24 January 2014
After We have read this guest's review we found loads of information which was not true.

We do not know what is going on with you right now or how is everything at home but we would like to reminds you of what has happened.

So, what happened was.

This early 20s years of age guest came with another 3 friends to check-in at approx 19:00hrs without cash ( although it was written clearly on the website that we only accept cash at that time or the smart card either credit or debit will do) but they only have credit card without chip.

Guest asked if they can get cash from the ATM machine tomorrow as they are tired from the trip.

I look at them and see 4 tired kids came to my house at night needed to rest, I am more than happy to send them to the room, show them the beds and facilities that a hostel should have and saying you can pay tomorrow.

4 guests went to the room, myself and staff continuing to take care of another guests as they are having dinner and watching TV etc.

After 2 hours passed (approx 21:00hrs), one of this 4 guest came to me by the pool and apologize that they would like to change the place to stay. My answer was Yes, you can and I asked her politely to sit down to talk about cancelation policy that you have made the agreement before you book the room that you have to pay for this night. (This has been confirmed from the website)

Guest smile to me and said yes. So I said I will see them at the lobby shortly as I was stuck with another guest before she came.

Minutes later I was at the lobby and found out that all 4 guests left the hostel without any payment.

I sent the Email asking if they will send the money later or you actually done this on purpose.
if so, this is want can be happen to you by law. (that was not a threat but the fact from your own act)

There was no reply or any contact from this guest ever since.

For the conclusion, if you think that there is nothings wrong from what you have done to us, you are wrong.

Do we deserve this review from you?
Please do not dare write any review for us after what you did.

For your knowledge about the place, you booked a hostel not a hotel.
Please reminds yourself.

I happen to like the cleanliness of the hospital so thank you for your compliment.

Hundreds of my guest walk to the beach everyday and if you can make it more than 5-10 minutes walk, you should be an ill person or very old. (nobody saw you guys walk to the beach though)

Our guests enjoy spending time together in common area or movie room (even a horrible movie one. They will just laugh and change the movie), jump in the pool, shared scooter to do sight seeing together etc and they do not even know each other before but I can see that they are having a good time. It is the attitude that people see things differently.

Lastly, I have to agree with you on your first sentence, you should have not even come here.

PS: Apologize for some informal explanation above, to those who is reading, as the comment from this guest is unacceptable and directly state about myself as a psychotic tangent. (It will be so foolish to do that to any guest in front of another guest)

Best regards,
Swansea, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 December 2013

We stayed here for two nights, and were really happy! It has an amazing swimming pool which you don't find many places at such a cheap rate. We stayed in a 4 bed dorm with an en suite which was quite small but was liveable! Everything was very clean!
Tony the guy who runs the place was very helpful with supplying taxis to go into the main area of koh samui, but they tended to be quite expensive.. so in the end we asked taxi drivers to come and pick us up from our hostel at designated times which cost half the price.
The hostel is quite far out from anything so be aware of that before booking because you won't be able to walk to anything and taxis do mount up after a while.
However, we really enjoyed our stay here, the pool is definitely a selling point, was just a shame it was so out of the way from everything!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
Geseke, Germany
Reviewed 10 December 2013

The Ananas Samui Hostel is more like a resort with shared rooms. It is very clean and nice, and Tony does everything he can to help you during your stay.
It is pretty quite and there is not much going on around the next big places are 15 minutes away, by Taxi or Scooter (which Tony will provide for small money). So if you really want to go out have a beer take the Taxi, if you want to explore the island, take the scooter.
I would recommend this place to anybody looking for a relaxing time on Koh Samui.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
somerset
Reviewed 19 November 2013

Tony and his team put in countless hours to provide the perfect hostel experience. The pool is great and cleaned on a daily basis. The food is exceptional, so much so that we ate here every night.

We enjoyed our stay so much we tripled the initial length of our stay. Could not ask for more.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 November 2013

By far the best hostel I've stayed in... and not only in Asia but probably around the world. :o)
Packed with all sorts of simple but thoughtful things that make a weary traveller's day - hot shower with free toiletries, free towel and hair dryer and an amazing swimming pool. The rooms are air-conditioned, there's also free breakfast included - and still probably the cheapest hostel on samui.
The place is immaculately clean (even considering western standards) and most importantly quiet. Even the doors are designed in a customer-friendly way (you can open and close them without a single sound), not to mention the little shade above your bed and great insulation on the windows: these all help you to sleep comfortably with no distractions around you.
It may be a bit far from the centre but if you want to chillax in an astonishing and peaceful environment - you're at the perfect place.
Tony, the owner, goes the extra mile (even a marathon) to make you feel like home and actually to never want to leave... :o)
It really feels like being in a posh boutique hotel where all your needs are catered for and still keeping the social, friendly and personal atmosphere of a small hostel...
An absolutely 5* experience in all senses... :o)

• Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Maret
Centara Villas Samui
#16 of 218 in Bophut
Casa Luna Hostel
Casa Luna Hostel
#6 of 437 in Ko Samui

Been to Ananas Hostel Koh Samui? Share your experiences!