“A mixed bag, compromising lots to get the things I value most”

Hi Coral Cove Bungalow
Ranked #56 of 62 Hotels in Maret
LONDON
“A mixed bag, compromising lots to get the things I value most”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 April 2014 via mobile

I stayed here between March and April for 33 nights. I stayed in one of the bungalows (with hot water, fridge and AC) at the very bottom of the cliff directly overlooking the sea & the rocks. I fell asleep to the noise of the waves and I awoke to the same sound (I didn't use the AC much). I could tell how windy it was just by listening to how loud the waves were before I even got out of bed in the morning and looked out. This I LOVED!! Also practicing yoga & meditation on my balcony and lying in the hammock provided overlooking this scenery. It feels very close to nature down there. The Samui ring road is incredibly busy these days and so getting away from the noise of the road is very difficult. From this bungalow, 705, all that could be heard was the sea waves. This is what I valued most and can be quite elusive on the island. I even liked the many steps required to get down to the bungalow (beware if you have mobility issues, but if you stay higher up the cliff you'd use less steps but hear more road noise). However, the price I paid for the sound of the sea was... Security - on my penultimate night I arrived home at 23:30 to find I'd been broken into, they'd got in through the door, which only has a push button lock on the inside, which in my opinion is not secure enough. No one from the resort is around at night and as a single woman, I was a little sacred that night, but had to wait until the morning to let them know. I had rented a safety locker at reception so most things were in there. The burglars went through everything obviously looking for money because they didn't take my camera and nothing was destroyed. I'm very lucky!! For my last night, I moved up the cliff but it still only had a push button lock which didn't give me a great feeling of security. Cleanliness - whilst the bungalow was cleaned most days inc the bathroom and change of sheets/towels, the walls were covered in quite a bit of gecko poo, which was never cleaned, the second bungalow was much cleaner however; reception - opening wasn't 24hours, opened only intermittently and sometimes not open according to the times stated on the signs in reception, which was generally ok with me but might cause others problems. The owners and staff were lovely, I did enjoy staying there until the night I was broken into. The way it's run is quite unconventional by Western standards but if you like different experiences and are not just looking for a Western style resort this place has an allure. But do be careful with your belongings, don't leave valuables in the rooms, use the lockers on offer. I think the main problem would be with the bungalows farthest down the cliff rather than the ones at the top near reception and the car park. But I suggest you don't take any chances. If the bungalows were made more secure I would happily stay there again. I ride a motorbike, but if you don't you may find it a little out of the way. You can walk to Coral Cove Beach in under 10mins on the road, Vikassa (cool yoga school with nice restaurant and incredible views) is a couple of minutes away, so are a couple more resorts, restaurants, a reggae bar and fitness gym. For me, the sound of just the sea at Hi Coral Cove Bungalows is priceless.....

• Stayed April 2014
2 Thank SWSPIRIT
Maria H, Front Office Manager at Hi Coral Cove Bungalow, responded to this review, 20 April 2014
Dear guest,
Thank you very much for your review about your recent experience with us in Koh Samui, your feedback is very important to us. My apologies that you encountered security problem from your room.

Aside from that issue, I truly hope that you enjoyed our hotel great sea view and friendly team look forward to welcoming you back should you decide to return to Koh Samui.

Best regards
Mrs.Maria T.P. Lebel
Fo manager

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Cusco, Peru
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 September 2013

Our stay was wonderful. The hotel is far from local shops, and the taxi drivers will charge the earth, so renting a motorbike/moped was a great way to get around and see more of the island.

The views from our bungalow were stunning, the pool was great, and the beach had some great snorkeling. You can't really swim at the hotel beach due to the abundance of coral, however the receptionist informed us that we could swim at the neighboring resort's beach a few minutes walk down the road; we swam there on several days, and enjoyed a nice couple of meals and some beers on the beach. So the hotel beach is for great snorkeling (look out for the octopus near the rocks; a definite highlight for me), and there is a beach for swimming within walking distance.

There are several good restaurants that you can walk to along the main road, as well as a couple of little reggae bars (good fun), and a sky gym and Muay Thai studio.

I found the staff friendly and helpful, and the place was very affordable. I would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Pete H
MariaHicoralcove, General Manager at Hi Coral Cove Bungalow, responded to this review, 8 September 2013
Dear Pete H,
Thank you very much for your comprehensive review and comments about your recent experience at Hi Coral Cove Bungalow Koh Samui - Snorkeling Point.

I am very pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us, in particular that you enjoyed our great seaview, underwater paradise, and friendly staff. I will certainly share this with the team.

On behalf of Hi Coral Cove Bungalow Koh Samui team, we all look forward to having you stay with us again when you next return to Koh Samui.

Best regards,
Mrs. Maria T. Phuwasettharworn
hicoralcovebungalowkohsamui@hotmail.com
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 April 2013

Wifi and views are good apart from that I wouldn't bother. It costs to get anywhere as its too far to walk. Noone is ever are reception, rooms don't get cleaned when they are meant too and are full off ants.

• Stayed April 2013
MariaHicoralcove, Front Office Manager at Hi Coral Cove Bungalow, responded to this review, 15 August 2013
Dear guests
Thank you for your opinion, that's why we wrote in hotel description that we are in between Chaweng and lamai and it is about 5-7 miniutes drive. We hoped that guests would see this information while they were making a reservation. The information we gave is correct. Guests need to get to town by transportation. If anyone wished to stay in town, then we may not be a good choice for them as we are apart from the busy area for relaxing atmosphere with the nature.

About "there was not anyone at the reception.", as we told both on the website and on the paper at reception counter that we are 2stars hotel with limitted service, so, sometimes they may have to work in others duties also. Guests may leave the message or call if they cannot find anyone at the counter. I am sure that they will response as soon as possible.

About the cleaning for the room, as announced on the website and on information paper at the reception counter that we clean the room every the third day, so, that's why they did not clean the room everyday. Anyway, if guests request to change the towel or the sheet, we will give to them suddenly.

I appreciate your opinion. Thank you again for your comment.

Travellers are raving about these Maret hotels

1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 December 2012

Our stay at Hi Coral Cove was anything but pleasant. When we arrived to the hotel, we noticed that it had a really nice view, but the location was far from shops and a variety of restaurants. We couldnt swim at the beach either. The receptionist seemed annoyed and inpatient, and throughout our stay she was quite rude. Our room was nice upon first impression, but you had to climb 100 steep stairs to get from the lobby to your bungalow. Our room turned out to be the most disgusting so far on our stay in Thailand. There was a massive ant problem and when we moved the beds we found the floor was rotting and broken, and there we found an ants nest. I had to sleep in a mosquito net on an uncomfortable be with stained sheets. When we addressed this problem to the hosts, they were not very apologetic and told us there weren't any over rooms because it was a holiday, and we could not get a refund either. Our laundry took forever. When we wanted to rent motorbikes, a service which they provided, they didn't have any an we had to rent elsewhere. The only good thing I could say is that the free breakfast every morning was reasonably good.. Although she took plates from me while I was still eating. The restaurant has a sign that says open 8am till 8pm but thy never seemed to be open past breakfast. The wifi only worked in the lobby. Overall, we had a horrible experience and won't ever be back!!!!

• Stayed December 2012
2 Thank Jordan15402
MariaHicoralcove, Front Office Manager at Hi Coral Cove Bungalow, responded to this review, 25 August 2013
Dear Guests
Thank you very much for your opinion.

For the information about wifi which is available only in the restaurant, the location which is between Chaweng and Lamai, the beach which is for snorkeling as there are a lot of fish and flower underwater, they are all announced on the website. Everyone can see clearly. But the problem always happen when they did not read or read it not very well. We have never hidden those information to customers.

In the peak season, the motorbikes which are always available tend to be unavailable enough as there are much more customers than motorbikes. We tried our best to provide to hotel customers. But, when it is unavailable, we must advise them to rent from outside shop.

The budget room at the budget price was unpleasant for you. I am sorry for that. However, there are many roomtypes to choose acutually. To avoid an unplasant room, i always encourage customers to buy other roomtypes, but they still always choose to buy a budget room as it is the cheapest price.

Thank you for your opinion. I appreciate all.

Warmest regards.
Maria T. Phuwasettharworn
Front Office Manager
E: hicoralcovebungalowkohsamui@hotmail.com
T: (+66) 081-270-9760
FB: www.facebook.com/hicoralcovebungalowkohsamui
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 April 2012

You know, a lot of reviews for this place were very poor, and I was actually very nervous as to what I'd find on arrival at Hi Coral Cove. I must say that I was pleasantly surprised. The rooms were clean, the aircon worked a dream, and what amazing views! The location I thought was perfect, in a nice quiet patch between Lamai and Chaweng. Our bungalow was right next to the pool, which was clean and well maintained, a great place to chill out before bed.

I'm actually a bit miffed at the bad reviews that I read here, it really made the few days preceding our arrival nerve wracking for me. I think propel are quick to complain, for little reason. Ok, this place isn't the Hilton, but I don't know what people expect when paying so little. (really the price is extremely cheap, considering the location, and a free breakfast). One person complained about the TV service, saying that it didn't work when they wanted to spend Christmas watching movies (excuse me, but why go all the way to an island paradise for Christmas of you are going to spend the day in bed watching TV?? Really?!? But I guess that's none of my business). We did have some issues with our TV, we arrived back late (really late, about midnight) and wanted to watch a movie before bed but there was no signal. We went to ask at reception, and the owner got out of bed to come help us, which was very impressive. The breakfast wasn't mind blowing - 2 fried eggs, toast, fruit, coffee/tea and some unappetizing juice - but it was sufficient, and again, more than I expected for the price.

The staff were all very friendly and accommodating.

All in all we had a wonderful time and I'd highly recommend this place to budget travellors.

• Stayed April 2012
1 Thank Extrabold
MariaHicoralcove, Front Office Manager at Hi Coral Cove Bungalow, responded to this review, 19 August 2013
Dear guests
Thanks you very much for your opinion.

The problems happened here always come when customers expect to have everything, but did not realize that they pay just little money. We also would like to upgrade and renovate manythings. But if we do so, we must also raise the roomrate and that will not make customer happy surely. Our rooms quality, services, go together with the roomrate. If our room is qualified, full services, of course that the room rate must be higher. I am not sure that all budget travellers will be happy with the higher rate as even this low rate they still ask for discount.

There are not so many people can understand same like you. And i do really appreciate for this.

Thank you very much.
Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 February 2012

We had the misfortune of staying here for 2 nights - we had to pay in full on arrival before seeing the bungalow and regretted it instantly. It was the worst place we stayed in 3 months of travelling. Our bungalow was dank and disgusting; absolutely covered in mildew and there was an overpowering smell of damp. The bed was soaking wet, floorboards rotting away beneath. We're not that fussy, but there's only so much you can take when you're a paying customer. Having arrived in the middle of the night, we had nowhere else to go and decided that things might seem better in the morning. How wrong we were! I woke up to find my cellphone in a puddle of water - the air con had leaked all over the room overnight. We went to reception to complain but were met with dismissal. The staff member refused to call the owner as she was "busy". When the owner eventually showed up, she was equally dismissive and said that she was not responsible for "wear and tear" (water was literally flowing out of it, but that's wear & tear!). The only thing she did was change our rooms but then tried to charge us extra! We refused and threatened to call the police so she backed down and just gave us the keys. This wasn't much better than where we came from and I have never wanted to leave a place so badly.

As if all this wasn't bad enough - the free wifi advertised only works at reception and barely at that. Their pool has so much chlorine that it turned my wedding ring black (thankfully sorted with a good polish) and the railings were detached, so you'd have a serious accident if you tried to use the steps. Other guests told us about things going missing from their rooms after the cleaners had been in (we refused the so called service). I didn't feel safe here and was worried about our belongings the whole time. Water pressure is so low that a shower is pretty much out of the question and the guy who does transfers into Chaweng ups his price daily, so you can't even get out of there. The whole place feels like a scam. I'd never, ever go back there, even if I were paid to. Please don't be scammed into staying here, photos online are extremely misleading. These people should be reported and shut down.

Room Tip: Just go somewhere else
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
5 Thank ladymerry
Dear guests
Thank you very much for your opinion. I will explain to you clearly as below.

1. About "We had the misfortune of staying here for 2 nights.", when customers chose to buy any products anywhere. Mostly, it was not about "fortune", but it was their own decision. On every products there will be description and also for hotel. As i always check our hotel description, it is all correct. Nothing was over described. But the problems alway happened when guests did not read it or read it well.

2. About "we had to pay in full on arrival before seeing the bungalow.", In fact you could ask to see the room. In case if you do not like the room, there are still many room types to choose. But for cancellation, as announced on every websites that if cancel within 10 days before arrival there will not be any refund. That is our hotel regulation which is clearly shown to public.

3. About "and regretted it instantly. It was the worst place we stayed in 3 months of travelling. Our bungalow was dank and disgusting.", i guessed that the room you booked was the lowest room rate we had which was not a standard room. So, that's why there are many room types to choose, but higher price. Of couse, the quality of room is varied according to the room rate. We could not provide 100% qualified room unless we need to raise up the price. When you said "but there's only so much you can take when you're a paying customer." yes, but depends on how much of money. Here in Hi Coral cove we keep the low room rate because that is the room rtae all budget travellers can pay. If we raise the roomrate up, i am not sure that the backpackers will be happy with that.

4. About "I woke up to find my cellphone in a puddle of water - the air con had leaked all over the room overnight.", i appologize for the leaked air-conditioner and appologize for the onwer that she requested you to pay for the new room. But as i remembered, you requested us to pay for your mobile. And that was beyond our responsibility.

5. About "We refused and threatened to call the police so she backed down and just gave us the keys.", i remember that there was nothing about police. And in fact, even there is anyone report such a problem to police, they cannot say that it was the hotel mistake for 100% since the real cause needs to be investigated. The owner gave you the new rom key for you would be satisfied.

6. About, "the free wifi advertised only works at reception and barely at that.", it shown clearly on hotel description. It was very strange that it cannot be found.

7. About "chlorine and the railings were detached,", i appologize for that and it was fixed.

8. About "things going missing from their rooms after the cleaners had been in", as i did not see, so, i could not say who stole the things in a room. My suggesttion to all customers is taking good card of their belonging and if they want to rent the locker they can do always. But mostly, they did not want to use a locker as they don't want to pay.

9. About "I didn't feel safe here and was worried about our belongings the whole time.", i understand you and i suggest you the hotel with high security even you will need to pay for it.

10. About "Water pressure is so low.", dear, as announced in every website that we are 2 stars hotel. So, that's mean our service is limitted. It is not an excuse, but we did not promise to offer any perfection in out hotel. I do recommend you for the high-price hotel as i think it will satisfy your need.

11. About "the guy who does transfers into Chaweng ups his price daily," dear, the price of taxi varied to the distance. If your destination changed everyday, the rate cannot be the same.

12. About "I'd never, ever go back there.", i understand you and do really wish you to have a nice memories with any hotel you will stay. My suggestion for you is to consider a high price hotel where has a complete service to satisfy you.

13. About "photos online are extremely misleading", we did not use any pictures to mislead guests. Every pictures are taken from the real place. The picture will be beautiful or not it depends on some corners of posture.

14. About "These people should be reported and shut down.", If we murder someone or steal something, or beling a terrorist, they i think you were right. But if just we couldnot respond to all your need or fail to satisfy you, then i disagree. I think you were just upset and wrote these things. For us, we take nothing negative about you.

Now we open our beach for public to come snorkeling. Maybe one day when you visit Samui again, come snorkeling here. I invite you.

Thank you very much.
Southampton, UK
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 August 2010

My boyfriend and I stayed here for 3 nights as part of trip around the island. We first paid for the cheapest kind of room available as we were travelling the world and on a budget! However, once in the room we soon upgraded as our first choice was very basic!
Our second room (which wasnt much more money) was nice and a lot cleaner. The view was amazing. The pool area here is nice although could do with updating. The restaurant and food is ok and there is little within walking distance. The resort is on a cliff top so there are loads of steps which were fine for us but not for those less able or children. The free internet is great. There is no beach near by but transport is v cheap, All in all, a nice place but I think there are better choices near by.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank HellsBells28
Dear guest
Thank you very much for your opinion and fact. I appreciate that.

Another things which need to be informed is there is the beach nearby hotel named "Coral Cove beach" and it is just a 10 minutes walk. For cyrstal bay beach, it is a 15 minutes walks. In fact, it was told on every websites already. So, from hotel guests can walk to go swimming.

Also, we open our becah for public to come snorkeling recently. If you come back to Samui, i welcome you to see oue wonderful paradize underwater. Many people said they saw a lot of fancy fish and beautiful coral reef here.

Best regards.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Maret
Coral Cove Chalet
#76 of 104 in Chaweng
Ban Sua Samui
Ban Sua Samui
#8 of 81 in Maret

Been to Hi Coral Cove Bungalow? Share your experiences!