“The perfect place to unwind from a hectic world”

Sandalwood Luxury Villas
Ranked #1 of 62 Hotels in Maret
Reviewed 13 July 2014

Stayed in several villas, each one unique & beautiful in its own way. The views are stunning & every member of staff always smiling & genuinely helpful. You don't get such a stunning view in the middle of any town, so yes it's up a short steep hill & it is an out of town hotel - that's what makes it soo special. That said there are many fabulous restaurants less than 5mins away & the hotel happily takes & returns you at short notice. The spa & staff there just add to the overall ambience of the resort. I would just like to end with a massive thank you to everyone at Sandalwood for making 10 days of my life so special & relaxing. Andy Kerswill

Room Tip: All rooms with a pool are superb, but the main hotel pool is lovely too.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank kerswilla
Owner_Sandalwood, Owner at Sandalwood Luxury Villas, responded to this reviewResponded 13 July 2014

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay at Sandalwood Luxury Villas. It sounds like you really enjoyed the opportunity to stay in several villas and to experience the famous Sandalwood views from multiple vista points. It’s wonderful to know that you appreciate the unique and panoramic views we have to offer at Sandalwood, although it does require a short and steep hill to reach those views.

We are so pleased to hear that we were able to make ten days of your life so special. Our staff works hard every day to bring our guests a memorable experience and it sounds like you truly appreciated the experience at Sandalwood. If your future travel plans include a return to Koh Samui, we would love to welcome your smiling faces back here again.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,099)

Reviewed 10 July 2014

I stayed here with my three brothers and best mate and i'll be straight with you. This hotel was the best hotel each of us has ever stayed at. Yes the walk up and down the driveway to the villas and restaurants was tiring for us unfit guys but the view, the restaurant, the service, the villa, the jacuzzi, the serenity was soooo worth it. This villa/resort was really hard to walk away from. Also know that no yuk yuk or local taxi will take you up the hill to this resort but you use sandalwood luxury taxis/mini vans and they give you a mobile phone to call for a pick up anywhere in town 24/7 for reasonable prices. Thank you Sandalwood and we will be back. I might even book a trip to Thailand just because of your resort

Room Tip: We stay in the lalavadee villa and it was astonishing
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank witwicky87
Owner_Sandalwood, Owner at Sandalwood Luxury Villas, responded to this reviewResponded 10 July 2014

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at Sandalwood Luxury Villas. It’s wonderful to know that you feel Sandalwood is “The best resort in the entire world.” The Leelawadee Villa is our largest villa with three spacious bedrooms and a very large outdoor space. The exterior balcony and private pool area is the most popular spot for guests to gather to enjoy the panoramic ocean views and the Thai style furnishings.

We are pleased to hear that you found our luxury taxis and minivans helpful in getting around Koh Samui. There is a lot to offer on this island and we want to help our guests find the best places to spend their precious holiday time.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Sandalwood and we look forward to seeing your smiling faces again. Please contact us directly when you plan your return trip and we’ll put together a special package for you.

Reviewed 9 July 2014

To begin the place was absolutely beautiful, views spectacular and service great.Our room was comfortable with a huge bathroom. I was staying with my son and there was a second bed in an alcove where a door could be pulled shut.Outdoor space was large. My only comment is that when you book this hotel know that it is truly secluded. The staff does a great job getting you down the hill for cabs to pick you up and they will take you into town in the morning. They will also pick you up and charge the room for the cost of pick up. Just be aware that there is nothing within easy walking distance. I'm in good shape but the walk down a very steep hill and more importantly back up is very strenuous! Know that unless you want to eat at the hotel restaurant you need to make plans ahead of time for cab service. I highly recommend the hotel as long as you are aware of location limitations.

2  Thank DMitche

Thank you for writing this review regarding your recent stay at Sandalwood Luxury Villas. We are pleased to hear that you were happy with your villa layout. Each of our villas is unique in design, with Thai décor combined with all of the modern amenities. It sounds like this villa was spacious and comfortable for you and your son.

You are correct in pointing out Sandalwood’s private and secluded location. We try our best to make that point clear on our website and through the use of photos. If a potential Sandalwood guest would like to stay right on the beach or in the middle of the hectic party scene in the main tourist areas, there are many fine hotels on Koh Samui from which to choose. Our resort’s hillside location, Thai hospitality, serenity and panoramic ocean views is simply a different holiday experience.

Because we are located 500m up a steep hill, Sandalwood provides our guests with many transportation options including private drivers, twice daily free shuttles to Chaweng and Lamai (15 min), free anytime shuttles for the two minute drive to Coral Cove beach, as well as a selection of cars for rent.

Please come back and see us again…

Reviewed 9 July 2014

This hotel has the betest infinity pool i've ever experienced. We stayed there for 1 night only and so disapointed that we had to leave.. Still we had time to have a massage in the spa wich was good also. The only point i would say is the A/C that is a bit noisy during the night, but apart form that this hotel is really a beutifull oasis in Samui. Will be back one day!

Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank audreyma74

Thank you for taking the time to review your one night stay at Sandalwood Luxury Villas. It’s wonderful to know that you enjoyed our infinity pool and that you plan to come back and visit with us again.

I am sorry to hear that there was a problem with the aircon unit in your villa. We have a 24-hour maintenance team available to address these types of occurrences. A/C maintenance is a part of every resort’s routine due to the tropical weather and frequent usage on Koh Samui.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Sandalwood for a longer stay next time. If you do plan to stay for 3 nights or more, please take a look at the “packages” section of our website. Our special packages offer many perks (spa treatments, meals, etc) at little or no additional cost.

Reviewed 8 July 2014

The people at the Sandalwood Villas are the finest staff in the world. They were caring and attentive. Sensitive to our needs and looked out for us like we were family. We won our initial accommodation with Sandalwood through our son's school auction to which Sandalwood Villas had generously donated. We were completely blown way at how they accommodated us expanding our reservation to include our 13 year old. We were sad to leave. Spa services are top notch the pool was awesome and the staff was great. They are up a steep hill that some taxi's won't go up, be warned, but this was not a problem. They offer a twice a day shuttle service for free and will get you pretty much 24/7 as available for around 500 baht or less depending on the time of day and the destination. They are completely reasonable and honest unlike 90% of the taxis and they look after you. Spectacular views, serene, very functional accommodation with laundry services and onsite spa and massage, a very fine restaurant, you really don't need to go anywhere, but if you want to they can arrange tours for you, a ride to the beach or a trip to the Shrines. Really one of the best places to stay on the planet. Breakfast included, great restaurant and bar, the Blue Ginger has been copied throughout the world, but never equalled. We ate many meals here and had Thai curry for breakfast. Yum. The owners are friendly and care genuinely about your good time. Can't recommend it highly enough. They also provided us with an all access cell phone. Made our trip easy!!! And the free Wi-Fi made it easier to stay in touch.

Room Tip: All depends an how many you are and how private you want to be. It was beautiful.
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Thank you for taking the time to write such a glowing review of your experience at Sandalwood Luxury Villas. We love to hear that you appreciated the Thai style hospitality that our amazing staff provide every day.

It’s hard to explain how much joy it brings our team to read your words:

Better than coming home!

The people at the Sandalwood Villas are the finest staff in the world.

One of the best places to stay on the planet.

Yum

Can't recommend it highly enough

It was a true pleasure to have you as our guests at Sandalwood. If your future travel plans include a return to Koh Samui, please contact us directly and we will plan something special for our returning friends.

Reviewed 6 July 2014

We booked our honeymoon (the 10 night Honeymoon & Spa Package) with Sandalwood after noticing their reviews and ratings on TripAdvisor. A few reviews said to raise your expectations when going here, or something to that effect. We took that with a big pinch of salt. We've learned not to get our hopes too high through life experience. I encourage you to do the same... if only because then you'll perhaps be as impressed as we were. ;) It was perfect.

Our flight arrived at 10pm, and the chirpy Mr. Chai picked us up from the airport and chatted to us on the way in, happily responding to our queries regarding how to say certain things such as hello and thankyou. He, like most Thai people, has a limited but easily workable understanding of the English language. Once we arrived at the Villas, we were given a full intro by Ta, who along with Pon seem to focus on the day to day running of the Villas and also the booking of events.

I'll quickly note that Ta is also responsible for Sandalwood buying in a couple of bottles of Southern Comfort for me prior to my arrival after I mentioned that it's my preferred drink via email, so massive kudos to her for this! :D

We stayed at the Jumpee and it was perfect. It has the old second community pool now as it's private pool, which means we got 8x5m of pure infinity pool luxury, and the temperature of the pool was heated by the sun itself to a perfect balance - not too cold to get in, but still cool enough to be that welcome respite from the often scorching Thailand heat.

The rooms are spacious, we got four bottles of water per day (two during morning cleaning which were placed in the fridge to chill, the other two in the evening which are placed next to the bed). As part of our package, we also got nice chocolates, rose petals in the shape of a heart, a cute cake (more suited to photos than eating, I'll concede!) and two bottles of wine, one white, one red. More than enough to keep us happy!

There are mosquitos in Thailand which you should rightly want to avoid, and the staff are unable to stop these entering your rooms if you are not careful to ensure the doors are closed at all times. While there are some deterrents provided in each villa, I personally suggest bringing in a healthy amount of DEET 50%+ with you.

The only problem we had with our room was that the showerhead wouldn't stay angled upwards, and we mentioned this the following day. It was still workable and we could shower if we hugged the wall as the shower would spray straight down, but it was annoying. Their response? A new shower was installed that same day and it took very little time. I was massively impressed! This was the moment we realised just how good a place we'd booked. :)

Something also not in control of the staff would be the distant thumping of bass which ran late into the night on a few occasions. It was very, very faint especially when you have the air conditioning on, but I have rather sensitive ears to it so perhaps bring earplugs suitable for sleeping with. I actually got up one night to check that it wasn't some other villa but sadly, no, when you get out of the villas and move up to high points (in my case above the spa building) you can hear that it's from across the road and perhaps all the way down the hill. I like to think that this shows just how worthwhile a place like Sandalwood, so far from the hustle and bustle of the ringroad, can be. If we were in a main road hotel and not up in the jungle, we'd have struggled to sleep at all.

We often ate at the restaurant. They do offer a service to deliver direct to your hotel which we used on one early occasion when I was so tired at this point (travelling from the UK to Thailand via economy will do that to you). However, I find that going up to the Blue Ginger restaurant, a very short journey since it's obviously part of Sandalwood, is definitely worthwhile for the easy access to more drinks and, most importantly, the restaurant staff who are AMAZING. We made great friends with these guys during our stay, particularly the delightful Taeng Mo and the cocktail-savvy Kwan who both would converse with us (at our invitation) during our dining with their good grasp of the English language. The likes of Aom and Em also joined us in our laughter on many occasions. I feel we made great friends at the restaurant, not just polite and cheerful staff but real genuine friends.

The food is reasonably priced and tasty, I personally encourage you to try the Pla Song Nah (butterfly fried fish with two sauces), Pad Kra Pao and the Chicken Moneybags starter which put the won tons you get in the UK to shame! The drinks are also reasonably priced - my wife took great advantage of the 50% off cocktails and if you become regular visitors to Blue Ginger like us and treat the staff well, you may just get a free cocktail or starter on occasion. They played a mixture of English and Thai music while we were there - I felt the English was okay once in a while but much preferred the Thai. Someone asked them to switch to English music while we were there at one point, and it baffled me. If you want hot beaches with the English language, go to New Zealand or Australia, not Thailand! ;)

One last thing regarding Blue Ginger - we took the cooking class there and the chef was initially quiet and shy while we browsed the markets. Once in the restaurant surrounded by the staff, though, we soon found she opened up and the laughter went on for some time as we muddled our way around the food. I like to think I put together a solid Red Thai Curry! More than anything, we just had a great time, though, and when you consider the price also consider that comes with a starter, two mains and a generous dessert.

People have mentioned the steep road leading up to the villas, but as many have mentioned, you get free drives down to the bottom of the road so there is no real excuse to complain. The taxi system with Sandalwood is seriously great, to be honest, and the cars are extremely comfortable. We took the option of having a couple of "limo tours" which are in the Sandalwood cars themselves rather than actual limos due to the nature of the island's roads. We had Mr. Don as our driver and he, like Kwan and Taeng Mo, fast became a friend to us and had broken but good English. He isn't a flat-out tour guide like you would find on tours, but he does have knowledge of the places he goes to and if you start asking him about places, he'll pick up on you wanting to be told about them and will start doing it a little more proactively. I like to think he is guaging how much you want him to be involved, and also figuring out your accent, before he gets into it! :) He is also happy to talk to you about pretty much anything and everything, so if you're social, Mr. Don is the driver for you!

One other "driver" we had was Robert himself, the owner, who is an American who attempted to retire in Koh Samui but obviously failed. ;) He's really helpful, took us on a free drive to Lamai when we'd normally have had to pay. He also advised us on the better beaches, the pros and cons of them, the best places to go to on the beaches for chairs to relax on and cheaper but good quality drinks/service. The staff speak highly of Robert and I can see why, he's a very kind, calm and generous guy who clearly enjoys socialising with the staff and customers alike.

If you check in early in the day or check out late (like we did), you stay at the Latree if your room is not still available (ie, booked to someone else). It's not a bad thing at all - the Latree is just as perfectly presented and comfortable as the other villas are. Sure, it doesn't have a private pool, but you can still use the public pool at this point. But yeah, Latree was also beautiful, so we felt really cared for.

Finally, the spa. I've never had a pro massagein my life. My suggestion if you're the same: Don't tick 'medium'. Thai massages are quite pokey and designed to make you feel better AFTER the massage, not DURING it. ;) My wife was much more savvy to this kind of thing and happily went back time and time again. The only time I went back was when I got sunburnt on my legs and shoulders... they do an Aloe Vera body wrap which is much more gentle and if you show off your sunburns they will quickly know not to be gentle! But I trust my wife's knowledge of spa better than my own and she loved going back to that place and trying new massages and wraps and whatnot, so it seems to get the seal of approval from people who are clued in!

Overall, the stay surpassed every expectation of the both of us. We loved it. We really want to go back. If only Thailand were closer to the UK, I could see us going every 1-2 years. It's a perfect villa for couples and solo people. I'm not sure if it's that suited to families but I know they have a babysitting service of some kind. But for us? The best. We've had some great holidays but this is the best by some distance now. If only it were cheaper to do so! This is not to say they aren't good value - they are great value - but sadly flights are not so kind to us.

We miss you already, Sandalwood!

Room Tip: The Jumpee where we stayed is right below the Malee - you might hear the occasional noise from above...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank DTowns
Owner_Sandalwood, Owner at Sandalwood Luxury Villas, responded to this reviewResponded 14 July 2014

Thank you so much for taking the time to write such a thorough review of your stay at Sandalwood Luxury Villas. I went around the property to read your review to our amazing staff and so many of them mentioned how much they enjoyed having you as our guests. We all consider you friends and we smile when we remember how much fun it was to be a part of your honeymoon celebration.

There are so many wonderful things you say about Sandalwood in your review it’s difficult to know where to start a response. We truly appreciate you mentioning some of our staff members who made an impression on you, specifically Chai, Don, Taeng Mo, Kwan, Aom, Em, Ta and, of course, our general manager, Pon.

We are so pleased that you chose our ten day Honeymoon and Spa package. With ten days at Sandalwood, our guests have an opportunity to really unwind and take in the amazing views from the many vista points on the property. In addition, our packages allow guests to take advantage of our Sanctuary Spa treatments and the delicious Thai and Western cuisine at our Blue Ginger Restaurant.

We have passed along your compliments to our chef and the kitchen staff regarding the dishes that you enjoyed the most at the restaurant. We also appreciate you mentioning how much you enjoyed taking the cooking class at our Blue Ginger Restaurant. Our chefs like to put together a program that provides guests with an opportunity to visit local markets, learn about the varying flavors that make up Thai cuisine and then sitting down to enjoy the fruits of your labor.

Part of the Sandalwood experience is getting to know are guests and tailoring a holiday experience that is personalized to their own tastes. We are more than happy to stock our bar with your favorite spirit (SoCo) and providing recommendations for hard-to-find local activities.

Our Jumpee Villa is extremely popular with honeymooners and couples looking for privacy. The very large private pool is a favorite among guests and it is difficult to find a larger private pool in a one bedroom villa on Koh Samui.

We are so pleased that you mentioned to us that there was a problem with the shower head in your room. Our maintenance team is on call 24/day. In this business, it’s impossible to be aware of every repair required and we rely on our guests to let us know if something is not functioning properly. It always saddens me to read a TripAdvisor review after a guest has left the property only to find out that there was something that required attention, but they failed to mention it to us.

We are so pleased to know that your time at Sandalwood exceeded your expectations in every way. We consider you both part of the Sandalwood family and we look forward to your return to Koh Samui when time permits. I realize that it’s a long flight from the UK, but perhaps we can be an anniversary destination for you in the future. When that time comes, please contact us directly so we can create a custom package that allows you to relive your favorite things at Sandalwood and experience some new ones too.

Reviewed 4 July 2014

This is one of the best hotels with spectacular views and outstanding service. We loved the location. The entire property sits on a hill overseeing the beautiful ocean and it's only a quick ride from the beach (the ride is complementary provided by the wonderful hotel staff). From the moment we were picked up from the airport to the moment we were dropped off, the ever so accommodating staff made it a memorable stay for us. The entire property is very well managed. We were very happy with the onsite restaurant and spa, the infinity pool, the breathtaking view, the hotel taxi, the friendly and helpful staff, the list goes on. This is one of the few hotels that we would definitely come back to. One of the owners, Mr Robert, also made a point to greet every hotel guest, which speaks volume of the commitment to great service.

2  Thank aiveem
Owner_Sandalwood, Owner at Sandalwood Luxury Villas, responded to this reviewResponded 7 July 2014

Thank you so much for naming Sandalwood Luxury Villas one of the best finds. We appreciate you taking the time to share your positive comments with the TripAdvisor community.

It’s wonderful to hear that you found the staff to be accommodating and friendly from the beginning to the end of your visit with us. It sounds like you really took advantage what Sandalwood has to offer including our Blue Ginger Restaurant, Sanctuary Spa, the infinity pool and the transportation services provided by the hotel.

We hope you will “definitely” come back to see us again. We look forward to greeting your smiling faces at the airport and creating another memorable experience for you.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Maret
Poppies Samui
SENSIMAR Koh Samui Resort and Spa
Sea Dance Resort
Sea Dance Resort
#2 of 185 in Bophut

Been to Sandalwood Luxury Villas? Share your experiences!