“Fantastic!”
Review of The Richmond Arms

The Richmond Arms
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, After-hours, Dinner, Reservations
Description: Country Pub, Restaurant, B& B in an idyllic Sussex rural village at the foot of the South Downs,5 Min's from Chichester. Locals bar and country kitchen serving locally sourced meats, seafood, game and vegetables in an innovative manner.Roasts on our "Rotisserie" and meats/seafood grilled over Charcoal. Classic bar snacks re-invented, regularly changing local microbreweries beers,home made hedgerow "eaux de vie" and large list of wines by the glass.... expressive of their origins and "terroir". ...
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
“Fantastic!”
Reviewed 8 November 2013

We visited recently on a family jaunt and were once again blown away by the quality of the food and the fantastic service. My wife enjoyed a perfectly cooked venison steak with manchego croquet and varying accompaniments. My two sons had perfectly cooked confit duck and beef brisket. Perfect every time. I had the wonderful steak with dripping chips...i must say i normally like my grilled meats with a generous serving of horseradish hollandaise, but in this case, the burnoose sauce did the job. Keep up the good work.

• Visited November 2013

Haslemere, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Absolutely Fabulous”
Reviewed 31 October 2013

The Richmond Arms had been recommended to us by a friend, and lunch there certainly didn't disappoint. There was a lovely balanced menu, and the wine was very reasonably priced for the quality (which was high!). We had a party of eight, and despite the fact we were slightly late arriving, the staff were incredibly welcoming and in fact kept the kitchen open for twenty minutes to let the last of our party order - this is something I have rarely experienced that a restaurant will do with such grace as The Richmond Arms displayed, and as such it is very much appreciated, especially since it was at the end of a busy service.

We all had three courses (which are all of a very good size). We had a range of starters and mains. I particularly enjoyed the chorizo scotch egg - it was crisp on the outside, perfectly seasoned (the chorizo didn't dominate) and the yolk was runny; in my opinion just how a scotch egg should be! I also had the Jersey bavette, which was cooked just to my taste, and the chips were exactly as they should be, with a lovely bearnaise sauce to accompany. The fish that was served as mains was beautifully fresh; and the filo, tofu and spinach parcel tasted delicious and was very nicely presented. The peanut butter ice cream sandwich was delicious, and (I thought) a refreshing (almonst cheeky) presentation. The other selection of ice-creams (liquorice and salted caramel, to name two tasted) really tasted of the ingredients, without them being overpowering or stale, as I find some flavoured ice creams can be.

The atmosphere is slightly more formal than a pub, but not as 'intimidating' as you can sometimes find the more formal of restaurants. (The wooden boards on which the steaks were served is a lovely touch.)

The only downside of the location is that the outside area is quite small and is next to the car park (also quite small) and has no view. There was a little bit of noise from children in other people's parties, but that cannot be helped (and we did go on a Saturday lunchtime); it didn't detract from our meal and I think the noise is more pronounced because the restaurant section is quite contained.

However, that really doesn't detract from what, in my experience, was a wonderful meal. In fact, we enjoyed it so much that we went back in the evening for their pizzas, which are cooked in (as I recall) a proper pizza oven, reaching up to 500 Celcius, that cooks the average pizza in around a minute; and which came out perfectly cooked - I would highly recommend the chorizo pizza and the mushroom and (ham / prosciutto) pizza.

The staff and the chef gave me and my guests a fantastic experience. I will go back the next time I can find an excuse to be in West Ashling; and would love to taste everything on the menu. This is certainly a place where my gluttony could get the better of me!

• Visited October 2013
London
“Gastro pub eating at its best”
Reviewed 30 October 2013

After our horrible experience at the Royal Oak at East Lavant last year, we enjoyed great hospitality following the Goodwood Revival at The richmond Arms this year.

This is good friendly customer service. They act like they want and enjoy your custom.

The food is well cooked and tasy. Pretty location and highly recomended. We will be back

• Visited September 2013
“Excellent little gastropub”
Reviewed 26 October 2013 via mobile

Dinner this evening after reading mainly positive reviews on Tripadvisor. Not your average pub food. I had excellent scallops followed by Hampshire woodlands Babette with excellent chips and beautifully cooked vegetables. Good Bernaise sauce too. Ended with peanut butter and jello icecream sandwich with salted caramel sauce. My wife had roasted beetroot with smoked cheese followed by Tandoori spiced hake and three scoops of ice cream (liquorice, salted caramel and rose pistachio). With 3 glasses of wine the total bill came to £79.
Highly recommended. Must book though.

Visited October 2013
“Excellent food and service”
Reviewed 24 October 2013

I have been twice recently and each time the food has been exceptional. Excellent service,the staff are always very friendly and knowledgeable about the food and wine. It's located in a very pretty village near Chichester. I look forward to going back again.

• Visited October 2013