“brilliant stay”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Oulton
LEEDS
“brilliant stay”
Reviewed 4 February 2012

I stay at this hotel about 4 times a year for some much needed me time. My husband and 3 year old stay at home while i enjoy myself.
I have always enjoyed my stay and can not fault anything.
As i am a regular i know a lot of the staff which is always nice.
I think the food is excellent and i am going again in March.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank LeedsJulie
OultonHallManager, Manager at Oulton Hall & Spa, responded to this review, 17 February 2012
Dear LeedsJulie,

Thank you for your comments.

Thank you for choosing to return to us for your special time away.

I am pleased that we have been able to provide an environment where you are comfortable and feel welcome. That is Great British Hospitality.

We look forward to welcoming you back in March. The anonymity of this forum does at times make it difficult for us to know our guests who so kindly provide their words. I would ask that you say hello while you are here so that I may say thank you directly.

James

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (472)
hampshire
Reviewed 3 February 2012

We booked into a deluxe room simply because we had some vouchers to spend, which reduced the price. However, I would not have been happy paying the full price for this room. The room was ok, but not outstanding and I certainly didn't feel that it should be classed as deluxe, even though it was perhaps larger than the standard double rooms. The bathroom, although clean, was desperately in need of an update and the bedroom furnishings were rather tired. The bed, however, was very comfortable and the view from the window was good.

It was very cold when we visited and for this reason we decided to eat in the hotel. However, before doing so we checked our laptop for comments, both for the main restaurant and the Claret Jug (bistro). Unfortunately they weren't good and very expensive. Not willing to pay such a high price for a meal that might not come up to expectations, we got in the car and travelled a few miles down the road to a Steak House, where we had an excellent meal.

We certainly couldn't fault the breakfast, which was very well presented with attention to detail and a great choice. The coffee, however, was not good.

Room Tip: The ordinary double rooms probably provide the best value
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
OultonHallManager, Manager at Oulton Hall & Spa, responded to this review, 21 February 2012
Dear birdwatcherhampshire,

I appreciate that you have taken the time to give us your feedback. Thank you for noting the positives in the cleanliness of the bathroom, the comfort of the bed and the view. I do apologise if the room did not meet your expectations, yet I am pleased that you chose to use your vouchers here at Oulton Hall.

You are correct that the room is larger than a standard double. Additionally, there are other enhancements in the room including a dvd player, complimentary mineral water, a Baileys and hot chocolate nightcap, and Yorkshire crisps which our guests have come to enjoy.

I understand that you found something off site which suited your dining needs on this occasion, but please visit soon and enjoy a dinner, bed and breakfast package to experience the 2 AA rosette and Oliver Award winning Calverley Grill. The seasonal menu offers great value and a tasting of the fantastic local bounty to be found in Yorkshire.

Pontefract, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 January 2012

Stayed over night at Oulton Hall having received a meal gift voucher from our daughter for christmas.
We booked a saver deal bed and breakfast along with our meal and must say what a lovely place it is!

The house and grounds, surrounded by tranquil woods and adjoining golf course were really beautiful, even on winter. The room was lovely and clean with all facilities. The Calverley Grill was excellent with friendly and polite Local Staff giving first class service, and food to match. We will return again in Spring.

• Stayed January 2012
1 Thank yorkieman22
OultonHallManager, Manager at Oulton Hall & Spa, responded to this review, 25 February 2012
Dear yorkieman22,

Thank you for your lovely feedback. We are pleased that your generous daughter sent you our way and that you had such a pleasant visit.

Thank you in particular for your comments about our team. They dedicate themselves to delivering Great British Hospitality with wonderful Yorkshire warmth. They appreciate that you have experienced it, and also that you have acknowledged it.

We look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed 29 January 2012

I have just returend from a weekend trip. This was for a family birthday. Unfortunately there was immediately an issue when our rooms were not ready. This was due to a very large wedding party taking rooms near the reception suit. We were advised to come back every hour to see if they could find a room suitable. (we had asked for a quieter room away from wedding night). We were not advised of the wedfing when booking. Eventually we were given rooms (@ 4pm) which I must add, do not compare to the beautiful main hall and library. They are in much need of a refurb. After I read reviews about the expensive drinks we were prepared to pay, however it was more expensive than I had anticipated. To further disappoint the bar manager is very rude, has no customer service skills and thought it acceptable to speak to guests with an aggressive and sarcastic manner. The staff in the bar are unprofessional and made my stay worse. There were many issues throughout the stay, like a long que to have breakfast (due to wedding party). The food was terrible;My duck was over cooked and mediocre; the spa is nothing special with little to do other than a steam and sauna; we were not accommodated when waiting for a room; the golf staff were rude and unhelpful; the rooms old fashioned.
The only positive about this hotel was the water who served us in the restaurant and the scottish gentleman who collected and stored our bags. These two were polite and genuine.
Overall I was very upset and disappointed with this hotel that I expected to be top class. It was not cheap and we must have spend over £1000 in the weekebd altogether. There is a lot that the management need to do to make this hotel an enjoyable stay for guests.
I will not be going back and would recommend those looking for luxury and a place where you feel special to stay away

• Stayed January 2012
Dear Love2222,

Thank you for your comments. In particular, thank you for mentioning the waiter who served you and the Scottish Concierge, Ian, who seemingly delivered great service.

I am sorry that you were not able to experience all the positives that we have come to be known for. I do apologise if you were under the impression that the wedding parties which amounted to 5 rooms was the reason you were unable to check in prior to the standard check in time of 3:00 pm. I can understand how seeing a large group of people enjoying themselves would lead to the assumption and may have gotten things of to an unpleasant start for you. Although the team was trying to meet a specific room request for you, it remains unacceptable that you needed to wait until 4:00 pm.

You seem to have had a number of concerns while here and I would request that you contact me directly so that I may speak to you in greater detail. Not having any knowledge of this until reading your comments here, I would like to speak to you and address the matters internally with greater credibility and facts.

I would be disappointed to not get specific feedback to address, as the anonymous nature of this forum does not always permit us to identify and resolve matters to better serve our guests.

I look forward to hearing from you and perhaps welcoming you back with my assurance of a much improved visit should we have the opportunity to address your concerns. Please call.

Yorkshire
Reviewed 28 January 2012

Stayed just the one night in one of the suites, The room itself did have the wow factor on entering but on closer inspection left you a little let down.The bathroom was well past its sell by date and some of the fixtures were in need of replacement.To the room itself you couldnt fault the bed and I would say one of the best I have slept in.The furniture in the room was period stuff bit again had seen better days ring stains in the wood etc.The room also looked as it had more things before with many units just being empty and the minibar being empty seemed a little strange to say the least. The food in the hotel was good but you pay for it be warned.
All in all a good stay the staff were fine and just with a little more attention on the rooms this could solve all the problems so many people seem to come up with.

Room Tip: Depends if you want to push the boat out the suites are a treat but they need to go up a level to co...
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank HolidayTeamYorkshire
Dear HolidayTeamYorkshire,

Thank you for your comments. We take your feedback on board and we are pleased that we can offer great value for money in such a lovely and comfortable setting.

We do look forward to the prospect of additional refurbishment and hope that you will be able to come and enjoy a future stay with us.

Perth
Reviewed 28 January 2012

The main old building is wonderful and the reception rooms exceptionally well decorated. The bedrooms are not to the same standard but very comfortable nevertheless.
The breakfasts were good but service poor and impersonal, especially on a day when a conference was in progress and tables were being lifted around our heads as we ate breakfast.
We wanted to use the spa but when we looked at 10.30 in the morning the (smallish) pool was very busy so we thought we would come back later, however at 4pm it was still very busy and I was unable to swim due to the number of people in the pool. I also had to queue for a shower in the changing rooms, which are open plan with no place for privacy when changing especially unpleasant when so full.
However we had a very good deal and thought it good value, not so sure I would go back unless on a cheap deal.
Special mention of the concierge who was very helpful, the reception staff were efficient but brisk and impersonal.

Room Tip: We were given an interconnecting room which suited us well.
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
Dear Fuluka,

Thank you for your feedback. We appreciate your comments specific to a member of our Concierge team. The guys at the front represent all that we stand for in Great British Hospitality. I am glad that your request for an interconnecting room met your needs and that we were able to accommodate you.

I am sorry that you found the team to be impersonal. It is rather surprising as the consistent comment which we here is that the staff is very welcoming. Apparently, we have failed you and we hope that you will return and give us the opportunity to demonstrate our commitment to servicing our guests. Keep an eye as there are a number of offers with great value to be enjoyed.

S. Yorks
Reviewed 26 January 2012

I was overall impressed with Oulton Hall....the building it'self is beautiful; the reception area, reception rooms, restaurant, Champagne Bar and drawing rooms are beautiful. I have never stayed in such a picturesque hotel! The buffet breakfast was yummy and plentiful with a huge choice. The Champagne bar is out of this world. We didn't eat dinner in the resturant however there are other places to eat and even a supermarket nearby.
The spa is lovely and considering we went at a weekend it wasn't busy. The spa treatments however I think are overpriced.
The bedroom we were allocated was big with everything you would need including bathrobes and a fridge! The room however was quite dated and our view was terrible!!!....overlooking the bins!
Overall though I had a lovely stay at Oulton Hall and the price was very good for such a grand hotel. Would definetly go back!!

Room Tip: Request a room not overlooking the bins!
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank LevellerRoamer
Dear LevellerRoamer,

Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback. We are all thrilled and feel privileged to work is such a beautiful place and we are delighted that you enjoyed your stay.

We have many offers available with which you can find fantastic value for money, whether you are looking for a dinner inclusive package in our award winning Calverley Grill or to include our Spa, just presented the top award as best Spa in the Leeds City Guide.

Please return soon. We take it as a tremendous compliment when guests choose to visit us time and time again.

James
Also consider these accommodations in or near Oulton
Thorpe Park Hotel & Spa
Waterton Park Hotel
Waterton Park Hotel
#1 of 1 in Walton
Tankersley Manor Hotel - QHotels

Been to Oulton Hall & Spa? Share your experiences!