“Great location but terrible value for money in the Claverley restaurant.”
Review of Oulton Hall & Spa

Oulton Hall & Spa
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Oulton
Reviewed 31 October 2013

We have been coming to Oulton Hall for over 20 years and have always had an excellent time. However standards are falling especially in the main restaurant. We had an upgraded room on the third floor which was very pleasant. The staff were very good as usual but the hotel was very busy with wedding receptions which meant that the calm atmosphere of old had disappeared.
The dinner we had in the restaurant was a disaster! The menu has shrunk to one page and so has the standard and value. My wife's steak costing £23 pounds ( vegetables are extra!! ) was very chewy and so she sent it back. She was guaranteed an excellent fillet steak on the bone as a replacement at no extra cost (£36 pounds). It came rare not medium rare as asked for and amounted to about four very small pieces when cut up. My sole was Ok but very small!! They charge premium prices and now serve sub standard food. At least they did not charge us for the meal.
Breakfasts were fine.

• Stayed: October 2013
There are newer reviews for Oulton Hall & Spa

Reviewed 29 October 2013

Had a fantastic break at Oulton Hall, slight dissapointment initially that our room was a little dated and in need of a refurb and overlooked the refuge area but it was a good size and lovely and clean. The communal areas in the hotel were fantastic with gorgeous funishings and decor. Despite the fact that there were weddings happening on both days of our stays the bar and lounges weren't busy and we were still able to relax. Breakfast was lovely, fantastic selection and well cooked. Staff were very attentive and really friendly. The spa was very nice, again although hotel was full the spa wasn't crowded and we spent a good couple of hours enjoying the pool, jacuzzi, steam room and sauna. The whole place was luxurious and we really felt that we'd had a real treat, coming back relaxed and refreshed.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 October 2013

We stayed in a Chambre Unique room and were happy with the amenities but the room was very small. As a previous reviewer noted, there was no central light in the room so this became problemtic when drying/straightening my hair.

We had lunch in the champagne bar which was delicious and served quickly in a beautiful setting.

Breakfast was problematic, I ordered salmon and a poached egg and received a poached egg on toast. I explained this to the server who took both my breakfast and my husbands away, returning 15 minutes later with salmon and scrambled egg and the same porridge he had originally brought (now cold). At this point I cut my losses and just asked for a poached egg on the side. My husbands porridge had no taste of maple syrup at all so I went and asked fir dome syrup for him. The breakfast was tasty and as we were leaving I saw the server bring my poached egg (another 15minutes later)

We went to the pool which was quite busy with only 3 loungers and many children, not very relaxing at all.

Check out and check in were simple and speedy

Overall I would stay again if I needed to be on the local area, but otherwise I would stay at one of the many better hotels in Yorkshire

Room Tip: Get a package without breakfast included. You will save yourself money and stress
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 October 2013

We stayed here for a wedding and whilst the hotel was very nice I felt the staff were perhaps a little overwhelmed by the number of people staying that weekend particularly at breakfast time.

The staff were all very polite and friendly, there could just do with being more of them!

Our hotel room was really lovely, spotlessly clean and the furnishings looked new. My mother and father in laws bedroom looked a little tired but was still very clean.

The bar was quite expensive, which is to be expected in hotels I suppose.

I thought breakfast was excellent a really nice of choice of things. My only negative is that the high chair for the baby had not really been wiped down properly and I had to do this myself before my little girl could have her breakfast. Sadly again this is something that happens a lot in restaurants etc but I think it deserves a mention as details like this do matter.

We did enjoy our stay and were pleased with our choice of hotel.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 27 October 2013 via mobile

Having bought a groupon for spa day with treatments for my friends birthday we were really looking forward to it. And we were not disappointed. Can't fault any thing in the spa. We had some lunch in the hotel champagne bar. Food was delicious but could have done with being a little warmer. Overall a wonderful day.

• Stayed: October 2013
Reviewed 26 October 2013

Arriving late I was looking for some quick food and went to the "pub" next to the hotel's golf club. The service was attentive but first choice of meal was not available which really could have been stated when. Was handed the menu. I later checked in and the receptionist was friendly and directed me to my room. The hotel public areas are comfortable and well decorated. Shame about the room, very tired furniture and the bathroom needed attention. The toiletries were poor and felt cheap for a nice stately home type hotel. Check out was prompt after a breakfast that while satisfactory rather than fulfilling.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 26 October 2013

We stayed here as a last minute Friday getaway on the 'Dinner, Wine and Simply Devine' rate at £149. The hotel was very busy due to a wedding but this didn't affect our stay and we were efficiently checked in and directed to our room, a Chambre Unique room on the first floor.

The Chambre Unique room was beautifully decorated and at first glance seemed to be very well appointed. It was only when it came to getting ready for our evening meal that we realised a couple of vital features were missing. Firstly, there was no lighting provided to the ceiling within the bedroom area, this made it very difficult for my partner to use the mirror, hairdryer, hair straighteners etc with two bedside lamps and a corner lamp. Secondly, there were no spare sockets provided around the dressing table, mirror, television etc; in fact, the only spare socket available in the entire room for phone charging, laptop power etc was located under the window and was hanging loose off the wall, with the cover plate missing. This appeared quite dangerous with the wiring visible. My partner had to unplug the desk lamp to plug in a hairdryer, making it even darker in the room. When using the shower we found that the overspray ends up flooding the bathroom floor as the shower screen is not large enough. On a positive note, the bed was very comfortable and the upgraded features make the room feel more indulgent than a standard hotel room.

We visited the Champagne bar for a drink before dinner and this area of the hotel is very striking. The staff were very friendly and we found the atmosphere very relaxed with no hint of the wedding party that was ongoing nearby. The only downside was the price of drinks, at £4.25 for a bottle of beer and £9.95 for a cocktail, we weren't tempted to return after dinner. If we had stayed for longer we would have liked to try the Claret Jug bar.

We thoroughly enjoyed our evening meal in the Calverley Grill. We were informed that we only had a £21 allowance towards dinner inclusive of our rate; and this would only allow 2 courses from a limited mixed price menu, or one course from the main menu. We opted for 2 courses from the a la carte and we were very pleased with the quality of the food. We found the waiting staff in the restaurant excellent, they frequently checked on us, topping up our wine, asking how we were enjoying the food and were very prompt despite the restaurant being busy. On receipt of the bill we were asked to sign and state our room number so that this could be added to our hotel bill. We had not realised that we had to declare the level of tip on this receipt and on leaving the restaurant 5 minutes later, we asked the Restaurant Manager if we could leave a tip for the staff; he said that it was too late as he had already closed our account. This was slightly disappointing, more so for the waiting staff.

Our nights sleep was slightly disturbed by the wedding party music below, but this was understandable and didn't go on too late. The air conditioning failed to cool during the night, despite working fine earlier in the evening; the cool function came back on around 10am as we were getting ready to leave. We had decided to order Breakfast in Bed before going to sleep. This arrived on time at 9am; however, disappointingly, the continental breakfast consisted of a small bowl of cereal, rack of toast and butter. The promised pastries and croissants never materialised and we couldn't help feeling that we should have just eaten breakfast in the restaurant rather than paying £5 extra for half a breakfast.

Check out was efficient and swift but we were never asked how our stay was, nor if everything was ok. This is an impressive hotel and we didn't have time to explore every facility such as the Spa or Claret Jug, but it seemed that the finishing touches were missing from the upgraded room and in some areas, the service. Having stayed recently at De Vere Slaley Hall, we found the upgraded rooms at Slaley to be better thought out.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank city_break_review
Rachel R, Director of Sales at Oulton Hall & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 30 December 2013

Dear city_break_review

many thanks for your review and feedback of your stay at Oulton Hall. You raised some very valid comments reference the lighting and sockets in the Chambre Uniques which we are currently working to enhance.

I do hope we will see you back at Oulton Hall soon.

kind regards
RachelR

Also consider these accommodations in or near Oulton
Thorpe Park Hotel & Spa
Tankersley Manor Hotel - QHotels
The Queens - Leeds
The Queens - Leeds
#11 of 87 in Leeds

Been to Oulton Hall & Spa? Share your experiences!