My wife and I booked in for one night for our anniversary, I upgraded to a suite, room 104 the Wensleydale Suite in the Old Hall, it is in fact above reception. My first challenge was finding a car park space within reasonable distance of reception, failing to do this I dropped my wife off first and then went in search of a space, failing to find one I double parked and went in to reception to update my wife. The concerige helpfully took my keys and said he would park it leaving the keys at reception. Not totaly what I wanted but a solution.
Our room was big and came with a four poster and firm mattress which didnt do my wife any favours it was too hard for her. The handle on the loo flush sometimes was loose and wouldnt flush for some time. It was v warm in the room so we searched out and found the thermostat control on the wall which we knocked down. We still had a v warm night, in the morning and by accident I found the radiators had independent radiator thermostats on which we could have turned off.
At this point let me say my wife has only ever returned a meal once in her life and is generally very easy to please with menus.
As Devere customers/owners I receive offers and so it was with this initial booking, I had purchased a package including a 2 course dinner in their restaurant just below us. I tried to use the telephones in the room to ring reception but couldnt use either of them. The speed button to reception just didnt work so i ended up wandering down stairs that is after the bride from the wedding party had finished having her photos took on the stairs which she was spread accross, she did move to one side to allow me by when she could.
We went to the restarant and was oferred a fixed menu of 2 course options as part of our package or £21 each off the main menu which is what we did. There was nothing on the fixed menu that interested us. Indeed there was nothing on the starter list my wife could choose so we went straight into mains saving room for pudding. The menu is said to be fine dining and I think part of the problem for us and my wife in particular was the added "flavours" turning something we/she could eat into something too off beat. We ordered a drink and the sommelier was asked what gins they stocked, he could only remember Bombay Sapphire, we ordered a double it came as a single. I ordered the scallops and pasta in coral sauce which was fine, the scallops were very nice, some edible flowers added variety to the meal. My wife played safe and ordered the ribeye steak cooked medium. It looked odd and I said to her is that a ribeye? it looked like a "beef steak" and her face said it all, it was v tough so tough she wanted to spit it out. I tried a piece and it was v tough. She couldnt eat it and we sent it back with the advice as above. The waitress asked if she wanted anything else but she had been put off and didnt order a replacement. The head waiter came over (didnt get his name but he said he is from Surrey) and he was lovely. He handled us both very well, took interest in our concern and on hearing it was our anniversay brought us a glass of bubbly each on the house which was a v nice gesture. he took the meal off our bill. We ordered a dessert, my wife wasnt finding anything grabbing her on the dessert menu but in order to keep me company ordered the cheesecake, this ocmes with a Rhubarb compot which she had changed to cream which they did no problem. In her words it was a very ordinary cheesecake and she only ate about a third of it. i ordered the cheese plate which was great with a good selection and good sized portions plus excellent "chutney". It was served with no advice what the cheeses were which would have been nice. I asked the sommelier what the cheeses were and he didnt know and started reeling off the top of his head cheeses he know they stocked.
We finished our meal and asked for the bill. The system was down so we said we would sort it out in the morning when we check out. When we did there was £26 on the bill for wine. We hadnt had wine. I queried it and the receptionist looked it up and told me the name of the wine we were supposed to have had, I reinforced we hadnt had any wine and she took it off the bill.
Breakfast was good, lots of hot and cold options, I had the smoked fish and poached egg which I enjoyed. I went to ht ebuffett before hand for fresh pineapple, there was a name plate for it but on the two occaisions I got up to get some there was no pineapple, there were other empty bowls too so I had something else.
The final straw to date is that Devere sent me an on line survey to complete which I did to give them this feedback in effort to help them and agreed to be contacted by their management to discuss my feedback. Week and a half later no one has been in touch. Not quite there Oulton Hall.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The sweeping driveway leads up to one of the grandest entrances in Yorkshire, where you’re met by a very warm welcome from our concierge. This unique 18th century former family home has beautiful landscaped gardens and lawns. Inside you’ll find grand staircases, 152 bedrooms, a state-of-the-art spa & fitness club and private function rooms. Dining at Oulton is a treat for the senses. From the classic Yorkshire afternoon tea served by the butler in the Drawing Room, to Champagne on the terrace, or a steak from the Calverley Grill.If you’re interested in the outdoors there are many activities that can be arranged. Or golfers of any level will find challenge in the 27 holes that are the meandering fairways and perfect greens of The Calverley and Hall Courses. Raise your game even further with the North’s leading golf facility in the Nike Academy. As well as custom fitting, the Academy uses the latest technology to significantly improve your game. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Odigeo, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Ebookers, Priceline, Traveltool, S.L.U., Evoline ltd, HotelQuickly and Cancelon so you can book your Oulton Hall & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- De Vere Oulton Hall Hotel Oulton
- De Vere Oulton Hall Leeds
- Oulton Hall Leeds
- Oulton Hall & Spa Yorkshire